• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT| of Listening to Classics (Not f&$@ing U-God)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
IrishNinja said:
shit. i know scandalous-ass tiger/comp USA dudes that said they'd go through like every drive they worked on, wal-mart you might have a chance at just going back to the factory for a format/recycle for parts or whatever. i know a few wal-mart kids but no one in the returns dept, see if i can ask though.

Cool, thanks.

Detox

kamspy said:
Apparently Snoop and DOC joined the Detox sessions in late July. Bout damn time.

Good article on DOC. Dre doesn't/didn't pay him right.
9HouQm.jpg

lHMfi.jpg

Dre has dropped the new guys for Detox, he was back in Cannes with Snoop, Warren G, Kurupt and Daz. These guys + DOC and they could probably get Quik in for some of the sessions are unbeatable. The only team that can come close to them is the Illmatic one. If Detox is still on for this year then they are going with the album DOC alluded to in the interview with HHDX. Personally I think Dre should forget everything that has built up over the years and start fresh but finish it in around a year like a normal cycle.

Tokubetsu

Detox said:
9HouQm.jpg

lHMfi.jpg

Dre has dropped the new guys for Detox, he was back in Cannes with Snoop, Warren G, Kurupt and Daz. These guys + DOC and they could probably get Quik in for some of the sessions are unbeatable. The only team that can come close to them is the Illmatic one. If Detox is still on for this year then they are going with the album DOC alluded to in the interview with HHDX. Personally I think Dre should forget everything that has built up over the years and start fresh but finish it in around a year like a normal cycle.

They need to just throw a week long old folks party, get shit recorded and then master it for however long it needs to.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
DOC back in the saddle with Snoop equals a brand new hope for West Coast sound

Blackace

TheOddOne said:
If its more "Boss' Life" and "Imagine" then fuck yeah.

The entire west coast sound is owed to Quik, DOC, Dre, and Warren G.. Mix in the other important figures like the Pound and Snoop and if you can get a Cube feature life is good..

What was the last time Cube rapped on a Dre beat? On his Peace album?

TheOddOne

Blackace said:
The entire west coast sound is owed to Quik, DOC, Dre, and Warren G.. Mix in the other important figures like the Pound and Snoop and if you can get a Cube feature life is good..

What was the last time Cube rapped on a Dre beat? On his Peace album?
Yeah, on War & Peace Vol. 2. Its funny that Quik recently said that most of the sound of 2001 was his.

He was gonna do an album with Dre also, but ofcouse that never happend.

Blackace

TheOddOne said:
Yeah, on War & Peace Vol. 2. Its funny that Quik recently said that most of the sound of 2001 was his.

He was gonna do an album with Dre also, but ofcouse that never happend.

Never heard Quik say that about 2001, but All Eyez on Me he pretty much made...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
ReconYoda said:
How the fuck are there still "Detox Sessions". I wonder if he fucking scrapped and restarted again.

I bet that is exactly what happened. Dre saw the reaction to the singles and decided to start over....again. Good to see he got Warren G in the mix.

I guess that shit Snoop was talking about Detox knocked some sense into Dre.

from that D.O.C. article posted earlier

Things haven't been all that bad for D.O.C. After falling out with Dre, he moved back to Dallas and began living part-time with the stunning and iconic R&B singer Erykah Badu and their 7-year-old daughter, Puma.

D.O.C. to come back wearing crocheted pants and kufis, confirmed. No One Can Sew It Better

Vaguely hip-hop related, but Nicki Minaj had a "come on titty!" moment today. Streets is talking, pics are out there

I have the weirdest boner right now

Detox

Do you mean All Eyez on Me is all Quik the same way The Documentary is all Dre? Otherwise I'm not sure about most of the other tracks but Dre took the beat for California Love off Bud'da and I just can't imagine Johnny J getting beats off Quik.

kamspy

Detox said:
Do you mean All Eyez on Me is all Quik the same way The Documentary is all Dre? Otherwise I'm not sure about most of the other tracks but Dre took the beat for California Love off Bud'da and I just can't imagine Johnny J getting beats off Quik.

Quik mixed the whole album and did a lot of un credited production. Suge was paying cash and Quik didn't want his label to get a cut. So most of his contributions to the album are uncredited.

peterb0y said:
Real talk, the new Chris Brown mixtape is dope as fuck:
1 First 48 (prod. Jukebox)
2 Crazy (prod. David Banner)
3 Freaky I’m Iz f. Kevin McCall, Diesel & Swizz Beatz (prod. Kevin McCall)
4 Body on Mine f. Se7en (prod. Infinity)
5 Spend It All f. Se7en & Kevin McCall (prod. Info)
6 Private Dancer f. Se7en & Kevin McCall (prod. Cornelio Austin)
7 100 Bottles f. Se7en (prod. DJ Chuckie)
8 Leave the Club f. Joelle James (prod. J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League)
9 Real Hip Hop #4 f. Kevin MaCall (prod. 9th Wonder)
10 Your Body (prod. Hudson Mohawke)
11 Ladies Love Me f. Justin Bieber (prod. David Banner)
12 Real Hip Hop #3 (prod. 9th Wonder)
13 Real Hip Hop f. Kevin McCall (prod. 9th Wonder)
14 Snapbacks Back f. Tyga (prod. Mike Will)
15 The Best Yo (prod. Beat Syndicate)
16 Marvin’s Room (rmx) f. J Valentine, Dawn Richard, Se7en & Kevin McCall (prod. Ryan M. Tedder)
17 100% f. Kevin McCall (prod. Kevin McCall)
18 Last (prod. No I.D.)
19 Sweetheart (prod. Kevin McCall)
20 Strip f. Kevin McCall (Prod by Tha Bizness)
21 Yoko f. Berner, Wiz Khalifa & Big K.R.I.T. (Prod by Big K.R.I.T.)
http://www.datpiff.com/Chris-Brown-Boy-In-Detention-mixtape.257564.html
um, Chris Brown is rapping now?

he's actually good, wtf

soul creator said:

D.O.C. to come back wearing crocheted pants and kufis, confirmed. No One Can Sew It Better
DOC is still living with Badu? WTF, didn't she have another kid with someone else after they got together? She gets around, that's for sure.

soul creator said:

Uhhh wat, isn't she still involved with Jay Electronica? He's living in London but still...wtf. They're probably just friends but it's still weird as hell.

I'd imagine Dre will simply ditch his old crew in a few months after realizing they just want to make the same old music over again. He should just get Odd Future and Lil B in the studio, they're the new Cali sound anyway yo

PhoenixDark said:
Uhhh wat, isn't she still involved with Jay Electronica? He's living in London but still...wtf. They're probably just friends but it's still weird as hell.

I'd imagine Dre will simply ditch his old crew in a few months after realizing they just want to make the same old music over again. He should just get Odd Future and Lil B in the studio, they're the new Cali sound anyway yo

xk1XW.gif

TheOddOne

polyh3dron said:
DOC is still living with Badu? WTF, didn't she have another kid with someone else after they got together? She gets around, that's for sure.
She's with everybodys favorite rapper Jay Electronica.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ChldRebelSoldr said:
Thought I'd give GAF-Hop some love. I have a couple of Spotify invites if anyone wants them.
I'm Canadian, will It work for me?

(I haven't been keeping up with this Spotify nonsense at all, don't even know what it is but it sure sounds like you guys like it)

TheOddOne

enzo_gt said:
Imagine wasn't a typical west coast record, but it was the peak of both Snoop and Dre's careers in what, the last 5 years?
Both songs where worked on by Dr. Dre, D.O.C. and Snoop. Even if it wasn't that typical west coast record, it bangs like crazy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheOddOne said:
Both songs where worked on by Dr. Dre, D.O.C. and Snoop. Even if it wasn't that typical west coast record, it bangs like crazy.
Yeah, I thought you were saying you wanted more of that Boss' Life ish though. I would definitely take more of the Imagine kind of songs. One of my favourite Dre and Snoop records ever.

So I don't have much Hip-Hop or Rap, but I like the bit I do have and I'm wondering for some good recommendations based off what I have.

Some of the stuff I like:

Nas - Illmatic
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Deltron - Deltron 3030
Blue Scholars (in general)
Danger Doom - The Mouse and The Mask
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
Gorillaz (though they clearly only have a bit)
Jay-Z - Black Album
Jay-Z + Danger Mouse - Grey Album
Kanye West (almost all his stuff except 808)
Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon (and bits of the 2nd album)
Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Mad Villain - Madvillainy
Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
OutKast - SpeakerBoxx

I didn't like Wu-Tang Clan when I listened to them, but they still had a few songs I liked. I've also listened to a bit of The Roots, and liked what I heard of them.

thestopsign said:
So I don't have much Hip-Hop or Rap, but I like the bit I do have and I'm wondering for some good recommendations based off what I have.

Just off the top of my head:
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The son of chico dusty.
Cunninglynquist - Oneirology
TiRon & Ayomari - A prelude to ASFP
J.Cole mixtapes
The Weeknd - House of Balloons

There's a bunch in the OP. Check em out.

CRS

enzo_gt said:
I'm Canadian, will It work for me?

(I haven't been keeping up with this Spotify nonsense at all, don't even know what it is but it sure sounds like you guys like it)
I don't think it works in Canada yet. Not sure though.
thestopsign said:

Listen to the rest of the artists' work that you've posted. Like the rest of Tribe's stuff and then work your way through De La Soul's discography. For MF DOOM, get MM.. FOOD, Operation Doomsday, Take Me To Your Leader (under King Geedorah). How much of Gorillaz stuff have you heard? Definitely get their Self-Titled and Demon Days if you haven't already. Two of the best albums of all time. As well as Plastic Beach but YMMV. On the Nujabes' side, get Modal Soul, Hydeout Productions One and Two, and look into Fat Jon's work. OutKast, listen to their first four albums.

AntiTout

thestopsign said:

Nas - Illmatic
Deltron - Deltron 3030
Jay-Z - Black Album
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
OutKast - SpeakerBoxx

I didn't like Wu-Tang Clan when I listened to them, but they still had a few songs I liked. I've also listened to a bit of The Roots, and liked what I heard of them.

I'm sure you already listened to "Cnn - War Report" good LP

overcast

thestopsign said:

Nas - Illmatic
Deltron - Deltron 3030
Jay-Z - Black Album
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
OutKast - SpeakerBoxx

Definitely get:
The J. Cole Mixtapes ( The Warm Up and Friday Night Lights)
CunninLynguist- A piece of Strange
Cunninlynguists- Oneirology
Binary Star- Masters of the Universe
Blu & Exile- Below the Heavens
Curren$y- Pilot Talk 1(All of his stuff is good though)
Kendrick Lamar- Section 80

I only recommended more recent albums (last 10 years).

OG Kush

Blackace said:
Never heard Quik say that about 2001, but All Eyez on Me he pretty much made...
What..? Got a source for this? If true, then it made my respect for Quik rise even high. Still think he's one of the most underrated/overlooked producers out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom