• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I hate how Finance and the global markets work

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

I'm not missing the point. The monstrosities financial institutions have created as instruments such as CDO, CDS, the 100% LTV subrime loans, combined with the use of HFTs create an industry with hundreds of thousands of times more risk than your traditional buy and hold stock/bond fundamentals.

I really don't like HFT (except for splitting large orders into smaller ones), but the only problem with CDOs and CDSs is that they are not exchange traded (therefore not liquid and not transparent enough). They are perfectly reasonable and interesting products that provide obvious value to society by transforming risk.

One thing I forgot to add is that the big crashes in Finance happen because of extremely low probability events not factored in by investors (or by programs in more recent times).

The 1929 market crash did not happen because of one isolated event, but because of global events that all happened at once.

I don't want to equate now to 1929, but everything is lining up around the wolrd for another big shock. I don't think it's a matter of months either, but weeks (if not days). August is a big month for Spanish/Italian bond auctions, and September is do or die for the Euro, the Germany ruling on the ECM. The German supreme court won't want to go down in history as the responsible ones for breaking up the Euro, but things are getting down to the wire.

As it is, Germany will not let Draghi/ECB directly buy sovereign bonds. We'll see how that goes.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
One thing I forgot to add is that the big crashes in Finance happen because of extremely low probability events not factored in by investors (or by programs in more recent times).

The 1929 market crash did not happen because of one isolated event, but because of global events that all happened at once.

I don't want to equate now to 1929, but everything is lining up around the wolrd for another big shock. I don't think it's a matter of months either, but weeks (if not days). August is a big month for Spanish/Italian bond auctions, and September is do or die for the Euro, the Germany ruling on the ECM. The German supreme court won't want to go down in history as the responsible ones for breaking up the Euro, but things are getting down to the wire.

As it is, Germany will not let Draghi/ECB directly buy sovereign bonds. We'll see how that goes.

The model works, until it doesn't...... Which is what lead to many of the problems in 2008. The rocket scientist never seem to remember that just because something won't happen 99.99% of the time, it still is not zero, and when it happens, its usually far worse than the model predicts, because your assumptions about volatility, correlations, etc. break down at the extremes....

ATF487

"Markets can remain irrational a lot longer than you and I can remain solvent", John Maynard Keynes

You can replace "you and I" with "entire nations" these days.

Sometimes I feel like it's another Keynes quote that dictates behavior

"In the long run, we're all dead"

Hari Seldon

The model works, until it doesn't...... Which is what lead to many of the problems in 2008. The rocket scientist never seem to remember that just because something won't happen 99.99% of the time, it still is not zero, and when it happens, its usually far worse than the model predicts, because your assumptions about volatility, correlations, etc. break down at the extremes....

Interesting side note, I heard a speech once from one of the key scientists on the DOE side concerning Yucca Mountain (the long term nuclear storage site). They had to calculate probabilities out to absolutely ridiculous lengths (10,000 years). Imagine if the financial world had to operate under a standard that extreme. If you are too big to fail, you can only fail once every 10,000 years, and you must provide the analysis to the government for review and approval. After all, a leak at Yucca mountain would be far less catastrophic than a global economic collapse.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Interesting side note, I heard a speech once from one of the key scientists on the DOE side concerning Yucca Mountain (the long term nuclear storage site). They had to calculate probabilities out to absolutely ridiculous lengths (10,000 years). Imagine if the financial world had to operate under a standard that extreme. If you are too big to fail, you can only fail once every 10,000 years, and you must provide the analysis to the government for review and approval. After all, a leak at Yucca mountain would be far less catastrophic than a global economic collapse.

But the economic catastrophe is just The Market (blessed be He) in action.

Well this would certainly curb financial corruption here:

Iran sentences 4 to death in $2.6B fraud case.

An Iranian court has sentenced four people to death and given two more life sentences on charges linked to a $2.6 billion bank fraud described as the biggest financial scam in the country's history, an official said Monday.

The trial, which began in February, involved some of the country's largest financial institutions and raised uncomfortable questions about corruption at senior levels in Iran's tightly controlled economy.

More here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501713_162-57482972/iran-sentences-4-to-death-in-$2.6b-fraud-case/

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
And just in time to coincide with this thread, another HFT firm has a computer glitch resulting in $440 million in losses and a potential bankruptcy...

Errant Trades Reveal a Risk Few Expected

Trying to Be Nimble, Knight Capital Stumbles

Knight Capital Says Trading Glitch Cost It $440 Million

$10 million a minute.

That’s about how much the trading problem that set off turmoil on the stock market on Wednesday morning is already costing the trading firm.

The Knight Capital Group announced on Thursday that it lost $440 million when it sold all the stocks it accidentally bought Wednesday morning because a computer glitch.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
enjoying the read as well.

not much to add, as apart from having general good budgeting and financial sense I don't really understand the complex details.

I do wonder though, how far off are computers from just replacing traders? can I just design a computer, kind of like a poker bot, to play the markets 'semi agressively' and work on all the data it has recorded?

I sometimes have awesome tech dreams of hooking up a PC to do just that.

I imagine the markets like an arms race, everyone just gets better and better until it's freaking impossible to move, because everything has been though of already.

Sanky Panky said:
I don't want to equate now to 1929, but everything is lining up around the wolrd for another big shock. I don't think it's a matter of months either, but weeks (if not days)

question, if you're so sure, can you somehow place trades to make huge bank of this event? I remember a guy did this in 2008 and got hauled in front of a judge in US. can't remember the details exactly but he spoke so softly nobody could hear him give testimony. made me laugh.

question, if you're so sure, can you somehow place trades to make huge bank of this event? I remember a guy did this in 2008 and got hauled in front of a judge in US. can't remember the details exactly but he spoke so softly nobody could hear him give testimony. made me laugh.

Yes, you can make tremendous financial gains during downward swings of the markets, by shorting, investing in favorable options contracts, investing in inverse ETFs/Indexes, and etc. It's actually an honest way to see if someone truly believes the market will go down, because if they do then I say short or shutup.

Edit: Sometimes there are temporary bans on shorting during tumultuous downward environments; several countries have done this in the past and continue to do so.

Of course. Same as if you think something is going to increase. Maybe insider trading?

I really don't like HFT (except for splitting large orders into smaller ones), but the only problem with CDOs and CDSs is that they are not exchange traded (therefore not liquid and not transparent enough). They are perfectly reasonable and interesting products that provide obvious value to society by transforming risk.

While being more liquid obviously would be better than otherwise, that's definitely not the biggest problem with CDO's. Also, you should make a distinction between the two, as some CDS is actually fairly liquid and have reasonably well-defined markets (though becoming decreasingly so every day with all the regulation).

Agree with your second point - nothing wrong with the securities themselves and they do serve a purpose. The problem in the financial crisis wasn't the securities themselves, but they way in which they were used, i.e. way too much leverage irresponsibly taken on and investors not doing proper work to understand collateral and risk of the cdo's (because most of them were complete shit towards the end but investors kept piling on)

I do wonder though, how far off are computers from just replacing traders? can I just design a computer, kind of like a poker bot, to play the markets 'semi agressively' and work on all the data it has recorded?

You should read up on james simons and the renaissance medallion fund. Almost entirely automated computer-driven investment fund that's made like 35%/yr returns for a couple decades

Yeah I can sell S&P futures, buy credit default swaps, short currencies like the Euro which are correlated with the US market, etc. The problem is knowing WHEN it will happen, and being able to sit through the swing until then.

The guy that did this in 2008 knew that the mortgage situation was unsistainable, so he started loafing up on credit default swaps for all the mortgage backed securities. This was one of the better ways to bet against mortgages, because if these mortgages started defaulting, the MBSs would decrease in rating, and what people would pay for insurance (the credit default swaps) would go up a lot. Buying credit default swaps is a good way to "short" bonds, because you are betting that the drecit quality will go down.

The guy almost lost his shirt because he started buying in 2006, so his fund was having negative returns. Investors wanted to run for the hills. He somehow stuck it out, and banked when shit hit the fan.

BTW, a mindblowing view on the derivatives that can fuck up the system. If you ever wonder why the government is so involved in propping up the market, this is the reason. I will update the OP with it.

http://demonocracy.info/infographics/usa/derivatives/bank_exposure.html

ATF487

Sanky, do you know if there's any legislation in the works for banks to disclose the notional value of their derivatives? It seems like keeping these transactions off the balance sheet is unsustainable

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Anyone read Ann-Katherine Barnett Hart's thesis on the CDO-meltdown? It's really good, and incredibly good for a bacherlor thesis, even for Harvard.

PDF-link

Michael Lewis’s ‘The Big Short’? Read the Harvard Thesis Instead!

Deal Journal has yet to read “The Big Short,” Michael Lewis’s yarn on the financial crisis that hit stores today. We did, however, read his acknowledgments, where Lewis praises “A.K. Barnett-Hart, a Harvard undergraduate who had just written a thesis about the market for subprime mortgage-backed CDOs that remains more interesting than any single piece of Wall Street research on the subject.”

A.K. Barnett-Hart
While unsure if we can stomach yet another book on the crisis, a killer thesis on the topic? Now that piqued our curiosity. We tracked down Barnett-Hart, a 24-year-old financial analyst at a large New York investment bank. She met us for coffee last week to discuss her thesis, “The Story of the CDO Market Meltdown: An Empirical Analysis.” Handed in a year ago this week at the depths of the market collapse, the paper was awarded summa cum laude and won virtually every thesis honor, including the Harvard Hoopes Prize for outstanding scholarly work.

Last October, Barnett-Hart, already pulling all-nighters at the bank (we agreed to not name her employer), received a call from Lewis, who had heard about her thesis from a Harvard doctoral student. Lewis was blown away.

“It was a classic example of the innocent going to Wall Street and asking the right questions,” said Mr. Lewis, who in his 20s wrote “Liar’s Poker,” considered a defining book on Wall Street culture. “Her thesis shows there were ways to discover things that everyone should have wanted to know. That it took a 22-year-old Harvard student to find them out is just outrageous.”

Barnett-Hart says she wasn’t the most obvious candidate to produce such scholarship. She grew up in Boulder, Colo., the daughter of a physics professor and full-time homemaker. A gifted violinist, Barnett-Hart deferred admission at Harvard to attend Juilliard, where she was accepted into a program studying the violin under Itzhak Perlman. After a year, she headed to Cambridge, Mass., for a broader education. There, with vague designs on being pre-Med, she randomly took “Ec 10,” the legendary introductory economics course taught by Martin Feldstein.

“I thought maybe this would help me, like, learn to manage my money or something,” said Barnett-Hart, digging into a granola parfait at Le Pain Quotidien. She enjoyed how the subject mixed current events with history, got an A (natch) and declared economics her concentration.

Barnett-Hart’s interest in CDOs stemmed from a summer job at an investment bank in the summer of 2008 between junior and senior years. During a rotation on the mortgage securitization desk, she noticed everyone was in a complete panic. “These CDOs had contaminated everything,” she said. “The stock market was collapsing and these securities were affecting the broader economy. At that moment I became obsessed and decided I wanted to write about the financial crisis.”

Sanky, do you know if there's any legislation in the works for banks to disclose the notional value of their derivatives? It seems like keeping these transactions off the balance sheet is unsustainable

Sadly one thing I don't follow much anymore is politics. I know Dodd-Frank had some language in it to regulate derivatives, and that there have been a bunch of bills to try to water down the derivatives part. The lobby must be huuuuuge on this one, and the public does not care much for it. Even if something passes, the CFTC doesn't have the money to do it's job... which is to try to look over the biggest shadow market in the world. I'll have to read up this.

I don't even think investors themselves know how to properly model default/prepayment rates and asset values for all these derivatives at this point lol

Keen said:
Anyone read Ann-Katherine Barnett Hart's thesis on the CDO-meltdown? It's really good, and incredibly good for a bacherlor thesis, even for Harvard.

PDF-link

Good find, gotta read up on this!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Sadly one thing I don't follow much anymore is politics. I know Dodd-Frank had some language in it to regulate derivatives, and that there have been a bunch of bills to try to water down the derivatives part. The lobby must be huuuuuge on this one, and the public does not care much for it. Even if something passes, the CFTC doesn't have the money to do it's job... which is to try to look over the biggest shadow market in the world. I'll have to read up this.

I don't even think investors themselves know how to properly model default/prepayment rates and asset values for all these derivatives at this point lol

Good find, gotta read up on this!

I need to read more about derivatives as well! It's pretty fascinating.

It was recommended by one of our thesis advisors. Finished up a MSc in Business and Economics in the spring.

olore

Why do I keep visiting GAF? Because of threads like this

Or, "came for the gaming, stayed because of OT"

ATF487

Yeah this is a good point. I should look into it too.

I'd recommend people pick up the Big Short if they want something a bit more, well, fun than a Harvard thesis. It's a very quick and entertaining read

Some light-hearted fun of how the Fed and Treasury are in bed with big banks and institutions...

Standard Chartered begins fightback on Iran allegations

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/standard-chartered-questions-york-action-011643637.html

Some excerpts...

WASHINGTON/LONDON (Reuters) - Cowboy local regulator or the exposer of lax federal bureaucrats?

That's the key question being asked about New York banking regulator Benjamin Lawsky after his explosive charge that London's Standard Chartered bank abetted $250 billion of money-laundering transactions with Iran.

The British bank lost over a quarter of its market value in 24 hours after Lawsky, the head of New York State's Department of Financial Services, threatened Monday to cancel Standard Chartered's state banking license, which is critical for dealing in dollars. Lawsky called Standard Chartered a "rogue institution" for breaking U.S. sanctions against Iran.

Standard Chartered shares bounced 7.1 percent on Wednesday to close in London at 13.15 pounds, up from a three-year low of 10.92 hit on Tuesday. They were still down 18 percent since the regulator's threat, which Chief Executive Peters Sands said was "disproportionate" and came as a "complete surprise."

Sources told Reuters that federal banking regulators in Washington, who had been probing Standard Chartered's Iran-related deals for more than two years, were surprised by the timing of Lawsky's charges and the stridency of his language.

Lawsky's Department of Financial Services had come to the conclusion the case was getting old and that it wanted to move forward, a person with knowledge of the situation said. The department told other agencies at a meeting in April that it planned to move forward with the case, the person said.

"I think all the UK authorities would ask is that the various regulatory bodies that are investigating the particular case try to work together and refrain from making too many public statements until the investigation is completed," King said.

Basically the bank was expecting the Fed and regulators to secretely come to settlement, without much fanfare (usual business), but this guy Lawsky called them out publicly for doing fraud.

The Fed and Treasury were also surprised that someone would actually call a bank out. I like that guy.

Liberty4all

Banned
A great movie for the layman going into the workings of how some of these financial firms operate:

normal.jpg

lopaz

Banned
Well this would certainly curb financial corruption here:

Iran sentences 4 to death in $2.6B fraud case.

An Iranian court has sentenced four people to death and given two more life sentences on charges linked to a $2.6 billion bank fraud described as the biggest financial scam in the country's history, an official said Monday.

The trial, which began in February, involved some of the country's largest financial institutions and raised uncomfortable questions about corruption at senior levels in Iran's tightly controlled economy.

More here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501713_162-57482972/iran-sentences-4-to-death-in-$2.6b-fraud-case/

I like this news :)

Akyan

BTW, a mindblowing view on the derivatives that can fuck up the system. If you ever wonder why the government is so involved in propping up the market, this is the reason. I will update the OP with it.

http://demonocracy.info/infographics/usa/derivatives/bank_exposure.html

The infographic is a bit misleading as it's showing the gross exposure rather than net which is likely far smaller.

Here's a blog that explains the difference: http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2011/10/27/713826/how-gross-and-net-cds-notionals-really-work/

Here's an example of how big of a difference this can make in practice (Greek default):

Gross position: 69b
Net position: 3b
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2012/03/20/931101/just-to-be-pedantic-3-1bn-net/

^^^ Fair point. We don't know the net positions of these banks.

With that said, net positions on +$225 TRILLION are probably nothing to bark at.

More evidence of the absolute corruption of our system. So infuriating.

Goldman Sachs won't face U.S. charges for mortgage securities.

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department said it would not pursue criminal charges against Goldman Sachs Group Inc. or its employees related to allegations by a Senate panel that the bank deceived investors and Congress about its activities in the subprime mortgage market.

After an “exhaustive review” that began last year, investigators “concluded that the burden of proof to bring a criminal case could not be met based on the law and facts as they exist at this time,” the Justice Department said in a statement released Thursday night.
The officials said they could change their minds “if any additional or new evidence emerges.”

The investigation by officials from the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, the U.S. attorney’s office for the southern district of New York, the FBI and other agencies began after a scathing report regarding Goldman was issued in April 2011 by the Senate's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations.

The panel, which conducted a bipartisan, two-year probe into the origins of the financial crisis, concluded that Goldman was a major culprit.

The subcommittee’s report, based on internal memos, emails and interviews with employees of financial firms and regulators, said Goldman profited from the crisis by betting billions of dollars against the mortgage market and then misled the bank’s clients and lawmakers about its activities.

The committee’s investigation included a high-profile hearing in which senators grilled Goldman Chief Executive Lloyd Blankfein. He testified that the bank had not consistently tilted its own investments heavily against the housing market, also known as having a “net short” position, as it was selling mortgage-related securities to its clients.

The subcommittee’s report said Goldman’s own financial records and internal communications directly contradicted Blankfein’s denial.

Goldman had strongly challenged the subcommittee’s findings, saying the company had acknowledged being intermittently net short but never had a "massive net short position."

On Friday a company spokesman said, “We are pleased that this matter is behind us."

But Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), the subcommittee’s chairman, said he stood by his panel’s findings.

“Whether the decision by the Department of Justice is the product of weak laws or weak enforcement, Goldman Sachs’ actions were deceptive and immoral,” Levin said.

The lack of prosecution by federal officials highlighted the need to prevent banks from convincing regulators and Congress to water down new rules in the 2010 financial reform law designed to prevent another crisis, Levin said.

The Justice announcement came after Goldman reported in a regulatory filing Thursday that the Securities and Exchange Commission had decided not to file charges against the firm over a $1.3-billion subprime mortgage portfolio. The SEC was investigating Goldman’s disclosures about the portfolio, which was offered to investors in 2006.

In 2010, Goldman agreed to pay pay $550 million to settle SEC allegations that the bank misled investors who bought some mortgage-related securities.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mon...estigation-mortgages-20120810,0,6319671.story

It's unbelievable. Sell products to your clients while shorting the very underlying assets you are telling your clients to buy! This shit needs to end. What will it take to make the American people pay attention?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom