• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrolik

Made a "game" for Ludum Dare this weekend

PoliteBreakableGadwall.gif

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-33/?action=preview&uid=40468

rje

Woo, new art!

u1Ub4gc.gif

Attack animation for our "werebeast" enemy, my partner finished it up today and I can't wait to get it into a build in the morning. Also this means we'll have all of the enemies done for our 3rd zone, and we can move on to finishing up the boss (a demonic chimney sweep).

Slow going on my end the last week, still wrestling with networking and really trying to solidify it as much as possible before we go up on early access. Looking forward to getting it done so I can get back to in game stuff!

Woo, new art!

u1Ub4gc.gif

Attack animation for our "werebeast" enemy, my partner finished it up today and I can't wait to get it into a build in the morning. Also this means we'll have all of the enemies done for our 3rd zone, and we can move on to finishing up the boss (a demonic chimney sweep).

Slow going on my end the last week, still wrestling with networking and really trying to solidify it as much as possible before we go up on early access. Looking forward to getting it done so I can get back to in game stuff!
Looks fantastic dude.

Razlo

Woo, new art!

u1Ub4gc.gif

Really great build up and execution on that attack. Great design too.

OnPoint

Woo, new art!

u1Ub4gc.gif

Wow, that GIF is gorgeous. Nice work.

Woo, new art!

u1Ub4gc.gif

Looking nice.

Pehesse

Woo, new art!

u1Ub4gc.gif

Very cool :)

I'm having someone doing the first quasi through playthrough/critical path of Honey - we're getting to the end (after fixing a few show stopping bugs along the way, like a particularly nasty one involving Honey falling ill over, and over, and over, and...), but I'm pleased to see it's mostly working overall :-D Still a lot of content missing, but it's getting there! Great feeling :-D

Woo, new art!

u1Ub4gc.gif

That looks great!

A demonstration of the multidash ability, which causes your dash and midair jumps to be refreshed if you dash through an enemy.

http://www.gfycat.com/PleasantDrearyBorderterrier
Very nice.

How do you like playing with that? Last year when my game was melee-based, I had a similar mechanic to reset the cooldown on our zip so long as an enemy died while using the attack on the ground or air.

When I switched to ranged combat with a boomerang and energy management, I reduced the zip cost by 50% and added a cost to attack to introduce management and put a cap on spamming things.

octopiggy

I have a feeling that a similar question has been asked before but I need some advice on naming my game.

I don't have anything ready to be show yet (although I can't imagine it will ever be very gif-able) but it's a simple logic puzzle game - a Picross meets Minesweeper kind of thing.

The name I started working with was Pixelink, which I later discovered is a registered trademark for some camera company. I guess this pretty much rules this name out? What if I changed it to Pixelinked or Pixelinks?

Anyway, next I started calling it PixelShift - a name I actually think I prefer. I can't seem to find any sort of trademark for this name but there is a game called Pixel Shift on iOS. Should I abandon this name too? Would I just be confusing potential players or would it be a bad idea on legal grounds?

I do have a couple of other ideas for names, but these two are really my favourites.

I have a feeling that a similar question has been asked before but I need some advice on naming my game.

I don't have anything ready to be show yet (although I can't imagine it will ever be very gif-able) but it's a simple logic puzzle game - a Picross meets Minesweeper kind of thing.

The name I started working with was Pixelink, which I later discovered is a registered trademark for some camera company. I guess this pretty much rules this name out? What if I changed it to Pixelinked or Pixelinks?

Anyway, next I started calling it PixelShift - a name I actually think I prefer. I can't seem to find any sort of trademark for this name but there is a game called Pixel Shift on iOS. Should I abandon this name too? Would I just be confusing potential players or would it be a bad idea on legal grounds?

I do have a couple of other ideas for names, but these two are really my favourites.

I'm no lawyer but i think naming is only an issue if they could be competing products/companies (aka in the same field) so I'm not sure it's worth concerning yourself over the camera company one. I'd steer clear of pixelshift though if there's a game with a similar name, just to be safe after the whole 'scrolls' debate and whatnot :p

Reading your post just made me think 'Picosweeper' and there doesn't seem to be any games called that on a quick google check :p

anyone mess around with Pico-8? i didn't realize i bought the humble voxatron bundle back in the day which included it. so i ended up paying $15 again but hey. support is support. ;P

mStudios

Woo, new art!

u1Ub4gc.gif

Siiick, I really like it.

Ito

Finally, some proggress with the banner. I cleaned the lines a little, and sketched some of the characters that were left out initially (I still have to include more, so please be patient).

binDoDR.png

KevinCow

Banned
I just found out that one key press can solve an issue I've been having all through development and make something waaaaay easier and better. So that's good. But I wish I'd known that earlier.

Pehesse

Finally, some proggress with the banner. I cleaned the lines a little, and sketched some of the characters that were left out initially (I still have to include more, so please be patient).

binDoDR.png

Haaa, finally :-D Ping me when it's my turn to come to bat! We haven't decided who'd get which character, either, right? How do we do that?

binDoDR.png

This is so beautiful! Thanks, Ito.

A demonstration of the multidash ability, which causes your dash and midair jumps to be refreshed if you dash through an enemy.

http://www.gfycat.com/PleasantDrearyBorderterrier

That looks fun! Though I'm not sure things would go so well for someone new to the situation. Is there a way that the game indicates what can be dashed through like that, or that your moves have been restored? I'm seeing a lot of particle effects, so that might be it. Or is it just safe to assume that any object suspended in the air that doesn't look like a wall can be dashed through?

binDoDR.png

Look that mighty racoon son of a bitch hahahaha!
It looks great ito!

Remember to draw his racoon tail! Now I understand why mStudios thought he was a cat hahahaha.

I also can help with the banner if you want.

Jobbs

Banned
That looks fun! Though I'm not sure things would go so well for someone new to the situation. Is there a way that the game indicates what can be dashed through like that, or that your moves have been restored? I'm seeing a lot of particle effects, so that might be it. Or is it just safe to assume that any object suspended in the air that doesn't look like a wall can be dashed through?

Thanks! Once you gain the ability you get a prompt briefly explaining what it does, and are unable to exit the room without performing it.

You can chain off of any enemy, these particular enemies just make it more simple and obvious because they float around slowly and are often placed kind of deliberately.

Very nice.

How do you like playing with that? Last year when my game was melee-based, I had a similar mechanic to reset the cooldown on our zip so long as an enemy died while using the attack on the ground or air.

When I switched to ranged combat with a boomerang and energy management, I reduced the zip cost by 50% and added a cost to attack to introduce management and put a cap on spamming things.

This dash chain mechanic is actually one of my first ideas, and it's something I was playing with in some of my earliest little stencyl game prototypes. It was first in an auto running game I was making.

Oh, you're the Ghost Song guy? Absolutely can't wait for this game! Looks amazing.

Thank you :)

There's a bug/oversight where you can pass through the star gate without defeating the enemy forces. I don't have time (other responsibilities, work/study) to fix that now though.

Man, that wasn't intentional? I can't accomplish anything without doing that. :(

EDIT: Oh, and my entry: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-33/?action=preview&uid=29335

Posted in the LD thread, but I guess I can share here too. It's a kind of strategy RPG in which you play a kraken and your "units" are its tentacles:

Blizzard

Banned

binDoDR.png
Nice work! You're very kind doing this for everyone. *edit* It's neat to see the transition from sketch to solid lines too.

Haha, I played and commented on your game! I've played two different Donald Trump games this jam thus far.

octopiggy

I'm no lawyer but i think naming is only an issue if they could be competing products/companies (aka in the same field) so I'm not sure it's worth concerning yourself over the camera company one. I'd steer clear of pixelshift though if there's a game with a similar name, just to be safe after the whole 'scrolls' debate and whatnot :p

Reading your post just made me think 'Picosweeper' and there doesn't seem to be any games called that on a quick google check :p

It's annoying when you think you have the perfect name but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Still not sure what to do.

Thanks for the suggestion though it made me think PictoShift or PictoLink might be good.

cbox

binDoDR.png

This is great

I haven't posted progress about Shwip recently as we're in the process of recreating the game in Unity, *SIGH*. In the mean time, I've taken on learning c# and have started on a test project for a mobile version of Shwip. Coming along nicely so far! Planning on making it a no-bs bullethell top down shmup. So far, being an artist going to programming has been, interesting to say the least. I sure as hell give all you code junkies props for what you do! Here's a look at what I've done thus far, next up is creating actual waves, instead of just having a shitload of enemies fly at you.

RegularSoupyHoneybee.gif

Testing a new character rig with facial animations (first time doing facial animations). There are only five bones in the face right now, but still can get a decent amount of expression. When I build the finial rig, I'll probably double the number of face bones for more nuance and control.

1f4b.gif

Lautaro

Oh crap, my job leaves me so burned out that I can barely make progress in patching my game... maybe I should make smaller patches but I still want to take advantage of my visibility rounds.

How do you deal with a job by day / gamedev by night situation?

Oh crap, my job leaves me so burned out that I can barely make progress in patching my game... maybe I should make smaller patches but I still want to take advantage of my visibility rounds.

I feel the same way. I have a rather demanding job and many days I feel burned out when I get home. It might be worse for you since your game is already released, but its really tough when your still early in development with a shit ton of stuff to complete before a you even have a working prototype. Frankly, when I am burned out from work, I simply don't work on the game, and then a day or two later, the motivation comes back: it makes for slow progress.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

I just don't make any big complicated games because I know I won't have enough time. I just make simple things and work a little bit each day.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Would anyone with experience building shaders in Unity be able to help me figure out this effect I've been building? I want to have my shader leave a sort of "residue" on materials as a sphere passes through them. Essentially I'm attempting to mimic the Daredevil style vision / echo location that was seen in Daredevil's shadow world from the movie. This can be see in the recently Kickstarted game, Perception too.

Here's what their's looks like.
u4ZIr7k.gif

And this is what I've been able to accomplish so far.
qBK6sqF.gif

Basically I need my shader to change all of the model materials that the sphere collides with to a slightly lighter color, so that they are somewhat visible to the player. Not too visible though.

KevinCow

Banned
What do you other programmers do while you're waiting on assets? My artist has a job and a life and stuff and I don't, so he doesn't work quite as fast as me. Up to now, it hasn't really been a problem... but I seem to have hit a wall now, as all I really need now are art, music, and sound assets to finish up the demo level, all of which I'm relying on other people to do.

I guess I could start working on menus and stuff.

Kalentan

So I decided to try and make a game in Game Maker... Sadly my skills at pixel art is really REALLY low.

But I managed to make this:

zg4b.png

0g4b.gif

My plan at the moment is for it not to be a side scroller but moving up/down/left/right. I would make the arms and feet connected but honestly I don't trust my skills to make a good sprite like that. :(

Edit 2: Here's my full sheet, added shadows and hands move down as body does. Unlike the gif.

Hg4b.png

Edit 3: Moving Down:
Ig4b.gif

GulAtiCa

What do you other programmers do while you're waiting on assets? My artist has a job and a life and stuff and I don't, so he doesn't work quite as fast as me. Up to now, it hasn't really been a problem... but I seem to have hit a wall now, as all I really need now are art, music, and sound assets to finish up the demo level, all of which I'm relying on other people to do.

I guess I could start working on menus and stuff.

For me, I am currently working on 2 games, so while I wait for assets, I work on those. The 1st is mostly just waiting for graphics before I continue, but the 2nd (a sequel to my 1st game ZaciSa, so already has a huge head start by itself) is only just started on. So I've been working on that.

Lately started work on a possible 3rd game, a small 2D Zombie type game. Mainly testing things out for now. So I tend to try to keep busy. This also helps me keep active and limits my issue of becoming bored or too tired on 1 game, so I switch games.

Dascu

Can be a really awful feeling. Sometimes hate my main job (even though it's pretty cool) for taking up so much time and leaving me exhausted by the end of the day.

I would suggest to just keep going, chip away at it. Don't feel guilty if you just want to relax in the evening instead of gamedev. Keep it balanced.

binDoDR.png
Is that missile in the bottom with the rocket and math formula? Hilarious.

SeanNoonan

Break down all of your tasks into small 15 minute to hour chunks; stay dedicated to making that chunk the best it can be and don't start another task until the next day. You'll progress slowly but your work will be of a higher standard and your risk of burnout will decrease.

My new job allows me to work on my game at lunch too (thanks CIG :D) so I can get two chunks done a day, or perhaps take an evening off to socialise or play games.

At a higher level, I make sure that my games are nothing like the one's I make 9-5. I tend to stay away from 3D and certainly don't apply AAA budgets or build open world titles in my spare time. It saves any legal hassles also ;)

Kalentan

My last one for now...
Pg4b.gif

I thought since I'm not exactly sure how I would be able to draw anything with a weapon or punching, maybe magic?

Anyone able to give me some tips on my sprite work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom