• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

AriEX2

binDoDR.png

Oh sheeeeeet. Coming along so well. Bring on the color!

Here's a new area in Hollow Knight, the rich quarter of the City of Tears. it's currently kinda empty, but we're planning to fill the zone with lots of fancy bug types (all infected of course).

Royal_quarters_zpsxyck52ut.jpg

mStudios

Finally, some proggress with the banner. I cleaned the lines a little, and sketched some of the characters that were left out initially (I still have to include more, so please be patient).

binDoDR.png

Can't wait to see it finished!

So I decided to try and make a game in Game Maker... Sadly my skills at pixel art is really REALLY low.

But I managed to make this:

zg4b.png

0g4b.gif

My plan at the moment is for it not to be a side scroller but moving up/down/left/right. I would make the arms and feet connected but honestly I don't trust my skills to make a good sprite like that. :(

Edit 2: Here's my full sheet, added shadows and hands move down as body does. Unlike the gif.

Hg4b.png

Edit 3: Moving Down:
Ig4b.gif

I went from this:

epictagoria.png

to this:

Warrior_Climbing_rc2.gif

Horse_run_rc2.gif

warrior_Riding_rc1.gif

So anything is possible!

Finally, some proggress with the banner. I cleaned the lines a little, and sketched some of the characters that were left out initially (I still have to include more, so please be patient).

binDoDR.png

Looking good, so far!

In other news, I'm currently fiddling around with trying to prototype a 2D platformer thing in Unity as a side project, see how far I go with it. I do want to work with something a bit simpler that would be easier for me to develop, prototype and design. Indie 2D platformers are dime a dozen these days, but the concept I've got will hopefully make it stand out.

titch

My last one for now...
Pg4b.gif

I thought since I'm not exactly sure how I would be able to draw anything with a weapon or punching, maybe magic?

Anyone able to give me some tips on my sprite work?

I've read some very recent posts here about drawing and thought they were excellent and although this post from Pehesse is related to cell shading it helped me think about colours differently

There' quite a few video's on youtube if you search for pixel art tutorials

i found this one interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lxCdeL1--4

Also have a look through this thread on TigSource some of the early links seem to be dead but again some stuff helped me out.

EDIT!!!

Good luck by the way im on a similar journey to you but decided to go down the unity route.

EDIT!! *2

This looks like an interesting resource....

http://wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0

went from this:

Warrior_Climbing_rc2.gif

So anything is possible!

Really really like that one

GulAtiCa

Would love to see something from my game ZaciSa in that banner. ;)

Granted, my game doesn't have much art to it, other then random shapes. :p

Pengew

I have been slacking off for a while but now motivated to get all the basic attack/weapon animations finished. So far I have up, down, left and right finished for everything but the staff.

Ajj5vpR.gif
tUZy94W.gif
w1ja60x.gif
A4xz83r.gif

Cptkrush

spent the better part of this morning trying to get one way platforms to work, everything I found online was completely ineffective for player and enemy collision, so I scrambled up my own hacky collision code for both player and enemy separately. I'm shocked it works, but I'm pretty excited about it!
I've decided that this game will be a simple, tough as nails Castlevania style platformer without all the fancy metroidvania trappings. Now I'm gonna start adding offensive enemies and possibly moving platforms. I think I'll add my version of the medusa head first because I'm an asshole.

_machine

binDoDR.png
That looks fantastic, absolutely can't wait to see how it progresses.

Cptkrush

Is Unity better than Game Maker?

Also thanks to those who gave me tips.

From what I understand Unity is built for 3D and has 2D features. I found that most of the programming for 2D made use of 3D variables and such. I thought it was too complicated for what I needed it for, and decided that I'd stick with gamemaker until I can start doing this full time. GameMaker is actually super powerful if you know how to work around some of its shortcomings. I don't know if you have a learning plan or what your knowledge is, but I'd recommend subscribing to HeartBeast, Tom Francis, and Shaun Spalding on youtube. I started with Tom Francis' make a game with no experience series and eventually found HeartBeast and Shaun's videos helped with some more advanced concepts.

What do you other programmers do while you're waiting on assets? My artist has a job and a life and stuff and I don't, so he doesn't work quite as fast as me. Up to now, it hasn't really been a problem... but I seem to have hit a wall now, as all I really need now are art, music, and sound assets to finish up the demo level, all of which I'm relying on other people to do.

I guess I could start working on menus and stuff.

Well, as I'm doing a VN where the visual part is provided by artists, I feel your pain. (Luckily, most of the sound and music I'm doing it on my own, with very select pieces commissioned to get a more diverse OST.)

Art doesn't work nearly as fast as writing or when you have the programming side ironed out and coming at a steady pace. Plus, as you said, artists have lives, family, a lot are extremely talented but also young so it means they also have families, studies, etc. Even the pros can take their sweet time (due to busy schedules, other clients, etc.) It helps a bit that I also have a job so I can tolerate some extra waiting without going crazy but it still eventually gets to me.

Indeed, one can start progressing in other areas to build the entire backbone and inner workings of the game but there is that point where you need to replace placeholders with the finished art. Good luck with that and hope the wait doesn't get too painful!

Kalentan

From what I understand Unity is built for 3D and has 2D features. I found that most of the programming for 2D made use of 3D variables and such. I thought it was too complicated for what I needed it for, and decided that I'd stick with gamemaker until I can start doing this full time. GameMaker is actually super powerful if you know how to work around some of its shortcomings. I don't know if you have a learning plan or what your knowledge is, but I'd recommend subscribing to HeartBeast, Tom Francis, and Shaun Spalding on youtube. I started with Tom Francis' make a game with no experience series and eventually found HeartBeast and Shaun's videos helped with some more advanced concepts.

I downloaded Game Maker: Player but when I click on "Make" it just brings me to a link to download Game Maker Player.

Cptkrush

I downloaded Game Maker: Player but when I click on "Make" it just brings me to a link to download Game Maker Player.

You need GameMaker: Studio to make games. Download it here
You'll also have to register your email with the program to unlock the full program, which is kind of shitty, but it's whatever.

JeffG

I find it quite interesting that there are so many 2D games being worked on and not that many 3d. Makes me think I am a bit crazy for attempting a 3rd person rpg. lol

So, I spent a bit of time on that 2D platformer prototype...

StartingOut1.png

StartingOut2.png

StartingOut3.png

Well, at least I'm one step closer towards making a Mega Man X clone (obviously not my intention, this is just one of many planned abilities). The sprite is actually Model X made all-black and given a slight white outline for use as a 'blank' prototype character, I'm gonna be using other existing sprites as well rendered in the same style for various actions, it helps me pretend it's all just one character. Also, I'm trying to curb my embarrassing perfectionist tendencies when it comes to animations for the sake of the prototype, so if/when I start showing gifs, the animations will probably look jittery due to hotspots not being synced, I really don't want to mess around with those things, good grief.

I'm using Prime31's CharacterController2D behaviour, and it made implementing X-style wall jumping shockingly easy. Oh, and Tiled2Unity, which is a godsend.

Celia Mangafied:

I'm liking this artstyle a lot.

The full Laboratory:

I think I'm happy with the final result.

The third background have a few mistakes (the table from the first background should be visible), but I think I'm just gonna leave it like that.

Oooh, very nice. Geez, you are brilliant at the art side of things.

JeffG

why not do both. 2D on the side ;P

Time.

lol I lost 6 mths due to the upgrade of 4.6 to 5 with Unity. Tried my first build, there were so many errors I just shut it down. Waited mths for the assets that I depended on were updated.

I have too many "features" sitting at 60% done with placeholders to putz around with other stuff.

mStudios, your art fro the game is excellent!

Any advice on coming up with a decent name for my game? Because I seriously can't think of anything.

I think ive read in some of your posts that you put sceenshots some post ago, but I dont think ive ever seen screen from your game.
Would be very interested knowing what is about or seeing some screens even if its only tests. Maybe we can help you with the name.

AlejandroDaJ

Neo Member
CTDV comes out on Steam in 8 days, wooo

logo.png

Do you guys have any opinion on launch discounts? The game's only retailing for $3 (and comes with a complimentary Android copy included), but I don't know if I should go for the extra push.

CTDV comes out on Steam in 8 days, wooo

logo.png

Do you guys have any opinion on launch discounts? The game's only retailing for $3 (and comes with a complimentary Android copy included), but I don't know if I should go for the extra push.

At that price I don't think a sale is going to do anything. Price it at $2.99 instead of $3 though.

Kalentan

Here's a new area in Hollow Knight, the rich quarter of the City of Tears. it's currently kinda empty, but we're planning to fill the zone with lots of fancy bug types (all infected of course).

Hey.

Hey.

Like.

I want this.

Just saiyin'

titch

Is Unity better than Game Maker?

Also thanks to those who gave me tips.

I'm sure they each have their own benefits but I just think unity is it a better fit for me.

I did actually start off in gamemaker and was watching Tom Francis on youtube which i thought was great. I dont see any reason not to go down the gamemaker route it just wasn't for me.

I just fancied going down the c# route and thought there was a bit more info going around regarding unity.

I would say its a little bit harder to start off with but i am getting there.

GulAtiCa

Wh4b.gif

How about this. :O

Though I did make this before the thing about the lighter color.

That does look better. Though I kinda like how it animates/looks when he has no arms/legs. But that one now looks nice to me as well.

That looks really nice!

KevinCow

Banned
I think ive read in some of your posts that you put sceenshots some post ago, but I dont think ive ever seen screen from your game.
Would be very interested knowing what is about or seeing some screens even if its only tests. Maybe we can help you with the name.

Yeah, I posted one or two a while ago. Here's a couple more, and I'd like to get some thoughts on the effect I'm going for.

(Obviously, as you can tell, I haven't quite finished the later parts of the level.)

As you progress through the level, the sun sets and the light changes from a regular white light to a more orangeish light, and the sky turns purple. Does it look decent? Does the lighting in the second picture look dusky, or just muddy? And is the sky too purple? I'd also like to make the horizon gradually grow orange, but I'm not quite sure how I'd go about that.

Edit:

Figured out how to do the orange glow on the horizon, and it looks pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

Lautaro

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll probably have to keep the weekends for most of my progress, luckily my players seem pretty tolerant so far and having a job to support me means I don't have to rush the project just to make a quick buck.

Kalentan

Better, but I agree that it'd be cool if he still had invisible limbs. There's something really cool about the way you did that.

That does look better. Though I kinda like how it animates/looks when he has no arms/legs. But that one now looks nice to me as well.

I think I found a compromise! :D

Hi4b.gif

I changed the body to look like the color scheme of the cloak and added the hood.

ZServ

Holy SHIT. That looks FANTASTIC. Good lord.

Trying to implement player acceleration/deceleration in RPG Maker.

Attempt one has ended catastrophically, using the following bit of code:
Code:
def real_move_speed
	unless @move_force.to_s.to_i >= @move_speed.to_s.to_i then
		@move_force=(move_force.to_s.to_i+(move_force.to_s.to_i*0.05))+(dash? ? 1 : 0)
	else 
		@move_speed + (dash? ? 1 : 0)
		@move_force = 1
end

This resulted in the player literally inching around like the oldest of men, until they hit the sprint button. And then they went full Barry Allen.

I've since ripped this out, and will surely one day look back on this with fond memories. But, figured you guys might get a kick out of it anyway. :)

titch

This resulted in the player literally inching around like the oldest of men, until they hit the sprint button. And then they went full Barry Allen.

Literally did the EXACT same thing. My first attempt at jumping and dropping with gravity was worse.

Kalentan

My attempt at making a spell when facing forward...
I think it looks like he's peeing.
Wj4b.gif
and
Xj4b.gif

Though when I made the gif it seems that because the blue was very light that it vanished..?

Noogy

Lovely, as usual :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom