• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCow

Banned
My attempt at making a spell when facing forward...
I think it looks like he's peeing.
Wj4b.gif
and
Xj4b.gif

Though when I made the gif it seems that because the blue was very light that it vanished..?

Gifs don't have transparency. Either a pixel's fully opaque or fully transparent. I'm guessing for the light blue, instead of choosing a lighter blue, you made it slightly transparent? So the gif said, "Hey, this is slightly transparent so I don't know what to do with it... so I'm just gonna make it fully transparent."

Kalentan

Gifs don't have transparency. Either a pixel's fully opaque or fully transparent. I'm guessing for the light blue, instead of choosing a lighter blue, you made it slightly transparent? So the gif said, "Hey, this is slightly transparent so I don't know what to do with it... so I'm just gonna make it fully transparent."

Yeah it was transparent. You could see through it.

mStudios

Story Time:

Our game got "leaked" yesterday. I was posting some information in a Visual Novel forum, and I forgot to removed the part where the game was going to be released on WiiU. Well, one Nintendo site got the info from said forum and instantly dozen of other website started writing about the game.

It makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy because I see a lot of people liking the game so far (and the artstyle), and saying that they will keep an eye close to the game. Makes me sad because I wanted to announce the game with a gameplay video and a nice trailer.

I have found people saying that the game reminds them of Hotel Dusk, Another Code and other Visual Novels and they hope the game turns out good. Hopefully I can fulfill those wishes and I'll do my best to do so.

It's also funny to see people already assuming that the game will be ported to NX lol.

As usual "Progress":

I think I'll mangafied the cutscenes of the game, instead of opting for a realistic style. I'm really liking how it looks now.

Yeah, I posted one or two a while ago. Here's a couple more, and I'd like to get some thoughts on the effect I'm going for.

(Obviously, as you can tell, I haven't quite finished the later parts of the level.)

As you progress through the level, the sun sets and the light changes from a regular white light to a more orangeish light, and the sky turns purple. Does it look decent? Does the lighting in the second picture look dusky, or just muddy? And is the sky too purple? I'd also like to make the horizon gradually grow orange, but I'm not quite sure how I'd go about that.

Edit:

Figured out how to do the orange glow on the horizon, and it looks pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

I made a quick video showing off the sunset in my game that I mentioned in my last post: https://youtu.be/Hx7PZLAWQtw

I know it's not exactly a new concept. Rare did it in DKC2 in 1995. But I'm still pretty proud of how well it's turned out.

About the name right now, I dont know if I can help you with that Kevin. But I think you have some cool things going on. The doves flying is a simple effect but it works pretty great and gives it a lot of life. Same with the sunset, really effective and looks really cool.
If I can give you a tip, the floor texture is a little jarring when you place the character and objects in top of it, doing this false perspective is not usually a problem, but I dont think that it works here. I see you tried to put more detail in the foreground rocks, so thats a start.
What you can do is get the same texture you are using and try to make it with perspective on photoshop, even if its only a test right now.
Something like this (could be better done, of course, only a small test with the perspective tool):

EDIT: ups, this perspective only works for a single screen lol. Then maybe just make the upper stones narrower and the foreground ones fatter, maybe force it a little more.

Story Time:

Our game got "leaked" yesterday. I was posting some information in a Visual Novel forum, and I forgot to removed the part where the game was going to be released on WiiU. Well, one Nintendo site got the info from said forum and instantly dozen of other website started writing about the game.

It makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy because I see a lot of people liking the game so far (and the artstyle), and saying that they will keep an eye close to the game. Makes me sad because I wanted to announce the game with a gameplay video and a nice trailer.

I have found people saying that the game reminds them of Hotel Dusk, Another Code and other Visual Novels and they hope the game turns out good. Hopefully I can fulfill those wishes and I'll do my best to do so.

It's also funny to see people already assuming that the game will be ported to NX lol.

As usual "Progress":

I think I'll mangafied the cutscenes of the game, instead of opting for a realistic style. I'm really liking how it looks now.

Forced perspective on humans is super hard. I like the first one, but the second one its a little strange, maybe too forced the upper part.

Was wondering if anyone had any advice. The small team I am a part of is slowly getting through the setup stages and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on which is the better payment system to use in terms of Paypal, Google Wallet, etc.

I have heard some horror stories about Paypal withholding funds and refusing to distribute them and so on, so was just wondering if anyone had any insight on their preferred method of moving money around.

Jumplion

hZn9Rec.gif

Finally got around to fiddling around with Spriter for the past day or two. Hacked away at a simple running animation. The quality is a bit wonky, probably need to play around with the settings/use sprite sheets. Could be smoother but it's okay for now. Any one of you animators know what I can do to improve it?

Peltz

hZn9Rec.gif

Finally got around to fiddling around with Spriter for the past day or two. Hacked away at a simple running animation. The quality is a bit wonky, probably need to play around with the settings/use sprite sheets. Could be smoother but it's okay for now. Any one of you animators know what I can do to improve it?

It's more of a jog animation as of right now. The character is too upright for it to be a full run. The torso should be leaning forward/angled a bit more.

You could leave it as is and it will still look great though. But it feels like the character isn't at top speed.

tomisqi

Neo Member
Hi gaf!
First post here..
So we've been working on this game for the past couple of months that we have so far codenamed "Project Titan". - a game about exploration, survival, and puzzle solving.
I'd like you guys to see what the game looks like so far - game's done in Unity.
So what does you think? What advice can you guys give us going forward?

AlarmedVastAgouti.gif

LastImmenseBluegill.gif

EasyDigitalAmoeba.gif

DeliciousScornfulDavidstiger.gif

derFeef

Looks good already. Maybe the areas could be even more dark, because I see no point in the flashlight watching those. Also a few more colors, or maybe mute the other colors more?

KevinCow

Banned
About the name right now, I dont know if I can help you with that Kevin. But I think you have some cool things going on. The doves flying is a simple effect but it works pretty great and gives it a lot of life. Same with the sunset, really effective and looks really cool.
If I can give you a tip, the floor texture is a little jarring when you place the character and objects in top of it, doing this false perspective is not usually a problem, but I dont think that it works here. I see you tried to put more detail in the foreground rocks, so thats a start.
What you can do is get the same texture you are using and try to make it with perspective on photoshop, even if its only a test right now.
Something like this (could be better done, of course, only a small test with the perspective tool):

EDIT: ups, this perspective only works for a single screen lol. Then maybe just make the upper stones narrower and the foreground ones fatter, maybe force it a little more.

I definitely see what you're saying about the perspective. I suppose I could use a perspective camera instead of orthographic. In fact, I just tried it and it worked quite well. But I was going for more of a retro 2D Final Fight/Streets of Rage aesthetic, whereas using a perspective camera would give me more of a Paper Mario aesthetic.

I'll keep it in mind, though. I did like the look. I might just be convincing myself to like the original way better because it would take a lot of work to convert everything to properly use the perspective camera.

I definitely see what you're saying about the perspective. I suppose I could use a perspective camera instead of orthographic. In fact, I just tried it and it worked quite well. But I was going for more of a retro 2D Final Fight/Streets of Rage aesthetic, whereas using a perspective camera would give me more of a Paper Mario aesthetic.

I'll keep it in mind, though. I did like the look. I might just be convincing myself to like the original way better because it would take a lot of work to convert everything to properly use the perspective camera.

Of course, dont worry if you like the original better. Im the same with some of my ideas when other people point me wht they dont like.

Jumplion

It's more of a jog animation as of right now. The character is too upright for it to be a full run. The torso should be leaning forward/angled a bit more.

You could leave it as is and it will still look great though. But it feels like the character isn't at top speed.

This actually inspired me to make a Walk, Run, then Sprint animation to phase inbetween.

Gentlemen, behold! A man learning to run before he walks!
ZSKJUQN.gif
6qHPADK.gif
GUxtcYK.gif

Jobbs

Banned
This actually inspired me to make a Walk, Run, then Sprint animation to phase inbetween.

Gentlemen, behold! A man learning to run before he walks!
ZSKJUQN.gif
6qHPADK.gif
GUxtcYK.gif

these are acceptable, if I was goign to make a feedback on the sprint (and this may just be my own style/preference rather than necessarily a matter of right or wrong) I think it'd look a bit better if the knees were a bit less bent in the frames leading up to the foot landing on the ground. As it is now there's almost no extension. Not a big deal though, and like I said it's acceptable now.

KevinCow

Banned
Alright... I decided to go with Ridley's suggestion and use a perspective camera for my game instead of an orthographic camera. Here's a quick demo of it in motion:

https://youtu.be/Qjeq9kRCZBw

For comparison, this is what it used to look like:

https://youtu.be/Hx7PZLAWQtw

It makes levels a little harder to put together... but I guess it's worth it. It really looks way better.

Edit: A gif of it in motion so you don't have to click on my stupid Youtube links:

Kalentan

Hey, can anyone give me some tips on how to make tilesets in Game Maker? Like I get how to make them, but how do I get it so the walls match up with the bottom tiles which are the same width but not height?

fn4b.png

I managed to make the bottom connect... But if you look at the top wall, see how the ground goes underneath the wall?

Also... Maybe this is dumb but I made this 'fake' game idea image:

qn4b.png

At first I thought to make it Zelda-like... But then I wondered... What if I made it a tactics game?

Edit 2: I'm sorry for posting so often. :( But I like to share... And if I do make this a tactics game, I'm going to figure out how to make melee look good. Cause I designed...
THE KNIGHT:
tn4b.gif
:D

Turfster

Time to grump about Unreal Engine again.
"Why isn't my swinging door not returning a hit even with sweep set to true if something's behind it?"

AActor::AddActorLocalRotation(FRotator DeltaRotation, bool bSweep, FHitResult* OutSweepHitResult)
which calls
RootComponent->AddLocalRotation
which is
USceneComponent::AddLocalRotation
which calls
SetRelativeLocationAndRotation
which calls
MoveComponent
which calls
MoveComponentImpl(const FVector& Delta, const FQuat& NewRotation, bool bSweep, FHitResult* OutHit, EMoveComponentFlags MoveFlags)
which contains
Code:
// Fill in optional output param. SceneComponent doesn't sweep, so this is just an empty result.
if (OutHit)
{
         *OutHit = FHitResult(1.f);
}

Basically, the whole chain has 2 optional, useful parameters that do nothing at all because "eh, fuck it".
Thanks, Epic!

Hey, can anyone give me some tips on how to make tilesets in Game Maker? Like I get how to make them, but how do I get it so the walls match up with the bottom tiles which are the same width but not height?

fn4b.png

I managed to make the bottom connect... But if you look at the top wall, see how the ground goes underneath the wall?

Also... Maybe this is dumb but I made this 'fake' game idea image:

qn4b.png

At first I thought to make it Zelda-like... But then I wondered... What if I made it a tactics game?

Edit 2: I'm sorry for posting so often. :( But I like to share... And if I do make this a tactics game, I'm going to figure out how to make melee look good. Cause I designed...
THE KNIGHT:
tn4b.gif
:D

the wall probably is a different size than the tiled floor. are they snapping on the grid or something?

Blizzard

Banned
// Fill in optional output param. SceneComponent doesn't sweep, so this is just an empty result.

(cut for length)

Basically, the whole chain has 2 optional, useful parameters that do nothing at all because "eh, fuck it".
Thanks, Epic!
Maybe it is not quite that simple -- is SceneComponent missing sweep functionality by design?

As in, maybe scene components are intended to pass through everything, but collision and static mesh components are intended to support collision?

See also https://answers.unrealengine.com/qu...ollision-component-in-scene-component-br.html.

Turfster

Maybe it is not quite that simple -- is SceneComponent missing sweep functionality by design?

As in, maybe scene components are intended to pass through everything, but collision and static mesh components are intended to support collision?
Straight code drill down from AActor, which jumps straight to RootComponent code for every transform/rotation, sadly.
(The code only blueprint is basically just a root staticmesh w collision component)

Apparently, they're not planning on doing sweeping for rotations?
Why the functions all have those parameters then... I don't know.

Blizzard

Banned
Straight code drill down from AActor, which jumps straight to RootComponent code for every transform/rotation, sadly.

Apparently, they're not planning on doing sweeping for rotations?
Why the functions all have those parameters then... I don't know.
But going by the stack trace, that's only happening because the USceneComponent::AddLocalComponent() chain is getting called, right? If it were a primitive component instead, UPrimitiveComponent::MoveComponent() would be getting called rather than USceneComponent::MoveComponent(). And the former appears to handle sweeping as expected.

What type of component is your door actor's root component?

"PrimitiveComponents are SceneComponents that contain or generate some sort of geometry, generally to be rendered or used as collision data."
https://docs.unrealengine.com/lates...ine/Components/UPrimitiveComponent/index.html

Turfster

But going by the stack trace, that's only happening because the USceneComponent::AddLocalComponent() chain is getting called, right? If it were a primitive component instead, UPrimitiveComponent::MoveComponent() would be getting called rather than USceneComponent::MoveComponent(). And the former appears to handle sweeping as expected.

What type of component is your door actor's root component?
UStaticMeshComponent.
Even when I do the rotations explicitly on that, they drill to SceneComponent.
All the rotation and movement things in PrimitiveComponent are inherited from SceneComponent, except for the SetAllPhysicsRotation and its ilk, but those are straight up teleports that don't sweep anyway.

Edit: ... you won't believe this, but I got stung by that most classic of dohs.
My doorstop tester somehow got its "simulate physics" turned off, and since you never ever want your door to have physics enabled, it didn't trigger (since the engine cheats and puts the onus on the physics object to "hit" the non-physics one and tell it)

Sigh.

Thanks for trying to help, Blizzard.

Blizzard

Banned
UStaticMeshComponent.
Even when I do the rotations explicitly on that, they drill to SceneComponent.
All the rotation and movement things in PrimitiveComponent are inherited from SceneComponent, except for the SetAllPhysicsRotation and its ilk, but those are straight up teleports that don't sweep anyway.
Ah, looks like you're right. Two of the staff reported that sweeping rotational collisions is apparently not feasible: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/95555/sweep-doesnt-work-on-addrelativerotation.html

JamesG said:
Sweeping shapes is a pretty well understood problem and there are good analytic solutions to it, but (as far as I know!) that just isn't the case for rotation. The only approaches I know of involve something like binary searching, or using some more complex geometries like Plucker co-ordinates, but even then it is very complex and thus slow. If you find an approach that seems practice do let us know though!

*edit* Oh, I'm glad you found a workaround. I did see notes about making a StaticMeshActor movable and using collision, one of which involves simulating physics: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Actors/StaticMeshActor/index.html

However, I was not even expecting static mesh actors / components to be movable because of the "static" name. Maybe UE4 enhanced things so that it's possible, aside from the rotation sweep case.

KevinCow

Banned
Do you guys think my game looks better with or without foreground objects?

With them, it looks more detailed, but maybe a little cramped.

Without them, it looks more open, but maybe a little unfinished.

And I don't really want to have foreground objects some of the time and no foreground objects the rest of the time, because then it would look like I got lazy and stopped halfway through.
The truth is that I am lazy, I'm just hoping someone tells me no foreground objects looks acceptable so I can justify my laziness.

Noogy

hZn9Rec.gif

Remember, a run is a controlled fall. Get some more lean in there.

The foreground objects help the scene look better. They give a distinct edge to the playfield/path so that it looks like a legitimate place rather than some indiscriminate cobblestone field.

Unrelated: the tree roots digging into the cobblestone (and not between the cracks) bothers me more than it should.

Remember, a run is a controlled fall. Get some more lean in there.

Jumplion posted an update shortly afterward that looks a lot better.

Kalentan

I'm about to go berserk... Game Maker considers this...

else if (instance_position(sW,sH, Ground))

To be Good! It works!

But this..?

if (instance_position(sW,sH, Player))

Nope. Doesn't register. Even though Ground and Player are both objects. I've spent like an hour trying to figure out why and I just have no idea what to do.

All the code within "if (instance_position(sW,sH, Player))" works, but the if statement makes it no longer work.

Edit: I fixed it... Guess what? It wasn't even the freaking code... Apparently an empty circle that doesn't touch the circle sprite isn't technically on the same position... I needed to change the collison on the circle...

KevinCow

Banned
The foreground objects help the scene look better. They give a distinct edge to the playfield/path so that it looks like a legitimate place rather than some indiscriminate cobblestone field.

Thanks. I guess you're right.

Unrelated: the tree roots digging into the cobblestone (and not between the cracks) bothers me more than it should.

...I didn't even think of that when placing any of the trees in this level, lol.

titch

Thanks. I guess you're right.

...I didn't even think of that when placing any of the trees in this level, lol.

I hope you dont mind me saying and maybe it's just me but the ground likes like its overly sloped. It's just that the cobblestones look like they are deeper than they are wide and the character looks upright.

I would agree that the foreground gives more detail though and it partly helps to negate what ive mentioned but it still feels a bit off(again just my opinion).

Just re-checked your gifs and it not as prominent when its moving but its still there.

Kalentan

So I've run into this issue:

Eo4b.gif

Everything seems fine until you realize that you can't move to the ground right below the top out of bounds. I have no idea why this is happening, even after fixing the other directions, up still has the most issues.

Here's the code... It's the same as the other directions yet it comes with an unforseen error.

pW = Player x pos
pH = Player y pos

Code:
if (!instance_position(pW+0, pH-45, OoB)) //Checks if OoB 1 up of player
    { 
     instance_create(pW+0, pH-45, Ground); 
        if (!instance_position(pW+0, pH-90, OoB)) //Checks if OoB 2 up of player
            {
                instance_create(pW+0, pH-90, Ground);
                   if (!instance_position(pW+0, pH-135, OoB)) //Checks if OoB is 3 up of player
                        {
                            instance_create(pW+0, pH-135, Ground);
                        }
            }
     }

Now the temp solution I have is to move the top out of bounds up one. That makes it work, but it's still a question of 'why.' However that leads to this issue:

Fo4b.png

Since there is no boundries on the base of the walls, you can move left and right on them.

Eo4b.gif

Everything seems fine until you realize that you can't move to the ground right below the top out of bounds. I have no idea why this is happening, even after fixing the other directions, up still has the most issues.

Here's the code... It's the same as the other directions yet it comes with an unforseen error.

pW = Player x pos
pH = Player y pos

Code:
if (!instance_position(pW+0, pH-45, OoB)) //Checks if OoB 1 up of player
    { 
     instance_create(pW+0, pH-45, Ground); 
        if (!instance_position(pW+0, pH-90, OoB)) //Checks if OoB 2 up of player
            {
                instance_create(pW+0, pH-90, Ground);
                   if (!instance_position(pW+0, pH-135, OoB)) //Checks if OoB is 3 up of player
                        {
                            instance_create(pW+0, pH-135, Ground);
                        }
            }
     }

Now the temp solution I have is to move the top out of bounds up one. That makes it work, but it's still a question of 'why.'

There might be an off-by-one error with the collision masks. Check if reducing the distance by one or two (44, 89, 134) solves the problem. Usually, in cases like this, it's helpful to have a small margin for error.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you're handling this with discrete objects instead of a data array, as that would be cleaner, but maybe this is easier for you to understand for now.

~the problem~

Ok soooo I'm curious if there's a reason you've done nested if statements like that?
If not I would definitely suggest doing it in a 'for' loop instead for the sake of making it easier to upkeep and read:
Code:
loops = 3;
gridUnits = 45;

for(i=gridUnits; i<=(loops* gridUnits); i+= gridUnits){
    if (!instance_position(pW+0, pH-i, OoB)) //Checks if OoB is a number of spaces equal to the current loop up of player
    { 
          instance_create(pW+0, pH-i, Ground); 
     }
     else break;
}
If you're not familiar with loops feel free to ask and I'll happily explain what's going on in there :3

As for the issue itself, there's nothing immediately obvious though as lilith says, testing actual collision like that is supsceptible to errors if it doesn't line up perfectly by whatever unit size you're using (45) so I'd be storing the data for the 'blocks' in an array and checking that rather than testing the actual tiles themselves :eek:

edit: updated my example so it should be in GML code

Kalentan

Ok soooo I'm curious if there's a reason you've done nested if statements like that?
If not I would definitely suggest doing it in a 'for' loop instead for the sake of making it easier to upkeep and read:
Code:
int loops = 3;
int gridUnits = 45;

for(int i=gridUnits; i<=(loops* gridUnits); i+= gridUnits){
    if (!instance_position(pW+0, pH-i, OoB)) //Checks if OoB is a number of spaces equal to the current loop up of player
    { 
          instance_create(pW+0, pH-i, Ground); 
     }
}
(excuse the exact formatting of the for loop as I don't know precisely what language you're using :p)
If you're not familiar with loops feel free to ask and I'll happily explain what's going on in there :3

As for the issue itself, there's nothing immediately obvious though as lilith says, testing actual collision like that is supsceptible to errors if it doesn't line up perfectly by whatever unit size you're using (45) so I'd be storing the data for the 'blocks' in an array and checking that rather than testing the actual tiles themselves :eek:

I should be using an loop, but it's like 5 AM and I'm not thinking straight. I think it's something that when I got to work then I would streamline.

Edit: I also did as Lilith said and it worked. :)

I should be using an loop, but it's like 5 AM and I'm not thinking straight. I think it's something that when I got to work then I would streamline.

Edit: I also did as Lilith said and it worked. :)

Coolies :D
Also, I added an 'else break;' in the example to stop it continuing to check if it hits a dead end for you :3

Kalentan

Coolies :D
Also, I added an 'else break;' in the example to stop it continuing to check if it hits a dead end for you :3

Now I will need to figure out how to get characters who are 58 by 69 to act as though they're on a 45 by 40 grid... I may be well over my head though...

Jobbs

Banned
In this dark area we use these little conduit globes to charge up the "glow level" of the various glowing objects in the room, which subsequently dissipates. In this case, it reveals where a path is.

http://www.gfycat.com/BabyishBoldGlowworm

And a random gif.

http://www.gfycat.com/ImpracticalFatalAmethystinepython

This whole section is particularly dark, which is fine since it's balanced against other areas which are much less dark -- But for various reasons I've been stuck on it for a long time in terms of working on it, and I'm really really so ready to move on out of this whole region.

This is a small adjacent but mcuh less dark area I'll be working on soon. Interestingly, most of the graphics (other than the "trees" in the back) are the same as the above environments, just different colors.

http://www.gfycat.com/ScaredWarmEchidna

Now I will need to figure out how to get characters who are 58 by 69 to act as though they're on a 45 by 40 grid... I may be well over my head though...
That almost sounds more like a design issue than a coding one XD
What will happen if two of these characters are in a space next to each other, won't they overlap? :3

Alright... I decided to go with Ridley's suggestion and use a perspective camera for my game instead of an orthographic camera. Here's a quick demo of it in motion:

https://youtu.be/Qjeq9kRCZBw

For comparison, this is what it used to look like:

https://youtu.be/Hx7PZLAWQtw

It makes levels a little harder to put together... but I guess it's worth it. It really looks way better.

Edit: A gif of it in motion so you don't have to click on my stupid Youtube links:

Do you guys think my game looks better with or without foreground objects?

With them, it looks more detailed, but maybe a little cramped.

Without them, it looks more open, but maybe a little unfinished.

And I don't really want to have foreground objects some of the time and no foreground objects the rest of the time, because then it would look like I got lazy and stopped halfway through.
The truth is that I am lazy, I'm just hoping someone tells me no foreground objects looks acceptable so I can justify my laziness.

It really looks much better. Really have a nice effect going on, with the perspective and the sun moving. Something that would be awesome but as im not a programmer I dont know how easy would be to make it is make the shadow of your main character be in the foreground and move with the sun. Would be ana amazing effect but again, I dont know if it can be done easily.

And yeas, the forground object make the scene look better. But I dont think you need to clamp everything all the time, there can be some spaces without them and I think it will give a nice variation (and not unfinished).
Keep up with the good work!

KevinCow

Banned
It really looks much better. Really have a nice effect going on, with the perspective and the sun moving. Something that would be awesome but as im not a programmer I dont know how easy would be to make it is make the shadow of your main character be in the foreground and move with the sun. Would be ana amazing effect but again, I dont know if it can be done easily.

And yeas, the forground object make the scene look better. But I dont think you need to clamp everything all the time, there can be some spaces without them and I think it will give a nice variation (and not unfinished).
Keep up with the good work!

The shadow thing is a good idea, but I tried it and:

...Eh, I don't really like it. Plus I'd have to completely redo the way shadows work to make it not look bad on enemies.

@KevinCow
just a question. but is the area he's at is it the same height as the cloud. the perspective of it looks like it's like a sky tower thing.

Canti

@KevinCow
just a question. but is the area he's at is it the same height as the cloud. the perspective of it looks like it's like a sky tower thing.

It's just tiling clouds for one stage, there will be others (hopefully). As for questions about trees in the ground, perspective of floor tiles etc it's the result of KevinCow sticking my assets in the stage and showing horrible looking screenshots on GAF I cannot condone as the artist XD Although I understand it's not so important when asking technical questions, it creates unnecessary aesthetic questions. It will hopefully be looking more like this -

Later down the road. That said thanks for the art tips some have posted on this past page.

It's just tiling clouds for one stage, there will be others (hopefully). As for questions about trees in the ground, perspective of floor tiles etc it's the result of KevinCow sticking my assets in the stage and showing horrible looking screenshots on GAF I cannot condone as the artist XD Although I understand it's not so important when asking technical questions, it creates unnecessary aesthetic questions. It will hopefully be looking more like this -

Later down the road. That said thanks for the art tips some have posted on this past page.

oh. lol okay.

Pehesse

A small milestone/status update! I'm done with BB's colored animation, so all that's left is to put it all in the game and get the timing right. But before that, I want to finish coloring the new Honey animations, too, so I'm not out of the woods just yet. Still wanted to share some of the excitement/relief!

In other news, someone that's not me just completed the first complete playthrough of the game, and it worked... mostly! Had a couple nasty bugs towards the end, and it was of course missing BB's match (and an actual scripted ending), but the critical path worked. It's probably not a good thing that I'm that surprised/happy that it did, but it did, so yay! It hinted at some narration balancing issues, too (does that even make sense? I mean some subplots don't activate as often as they should) so those will be next on the to-do list after BB's match.

KevinCow

Banned
While Canti's here, maybe you guys can help us with a disagreement.

Does the health look better at the top:

Or the bottom?

I currently have it set up to where I can change it with the flip of a boolean, so I'll probably just make it an option, but what do you guys think should be the default?

While Canti's here, maybe you guys can help us with a disagreement.

Does the health look better at the top:

Or the bottom?

I currently have it set up to where I can change it with the flip of a boolean, so I'll probably just make it an option, but what do you guys think should be the default?
i like it at the bottom personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom