• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Movies of the Year 2007 Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

1. No Country for Old Men
2. King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
3. Michael Clayton
4. Zodiac
5. There Will Be Blood
6. Diving Bell and the Butterfly
7. Tekkonkinkreet
8. Gone Baby Gone
9. Eastern Promises
10. Death at a Funeral

1. No Country For Old Men
2. Once
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Into The Wild
5. Darjeeling Limited
6. Paris Je'taime
7. Paprika
8.. Superbad
9.. Bourne Ultimatum
10. Hot Fuzz
Sweeney Todd
Juno

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
1. Ratatouille
2. Sweeny Todd
3. Stardust
4. Futurama: Benders Big Score
5. Paprika
6. The Bourne Ultimatum
7. Ocean's 13
8. Harry Potter And The Order of the Phoenix
9. The Simpson's Movie

...i didn't see much this year, and I the rest of the movies i saw this year don't deserve even the bottom spots.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
1) Ratatouille
2) Juno
3) 3:10 to Yuma
4) Bourne Ultimatum
5) I Am Legend
5) Knocked Up
6) Superbad
7) Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
8) Harry Potter And The Order of the Phoenix
9) 300
10) The Kingdom

Eric WK

I don't understand how people can make lists like this in good faith without having seen the best the year has had to offer. 50% of the country doesn't have a theater that has shown There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, The Assassination of Jesse James, Atonement, Michael Clayton, etc.

I personally haven't seen There Will Be Blood, Into The Wild, Atonement and Margot at the Wedding. And it goes without questioning that two or three, perhaps all four, of those would end up on my year end top whatever list.

Guess I'll have to get back to you, Cajole.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
1: Children of Men (Dunno if this is 06 or 07. I've heard both.. bleh)
2: No Country for Old Men
3: There will be blood
4: Gone Baby Gone
5: Atonement
6: Transformers
7: Live Free or Die Hard
8: Knocked up
9: SuperBad
10: GrindHouse

Dali

Eric WK said:
I don't understand how people can make lists like this in good faith without having seen the best the year has had to offer. 50% of the country doesn't have a theater that has shown There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, The Assassination of Jesse James, Atonement, Michael Clayton, etc.

I personally haven't seen There Will Be Blood, Into The Wild, Atonement and Margot at the Wedding. And it goes without questioning that two or three, perhaps all four, of those would end up on my year end top whatever list.

You can't watch every movie. Let's say you catch the ones on your list. Would your list still be valid even though you [may] have not seen Death Sentence or Stardust or TekkonKinkreet? You make like those waaaay more than any of the one's on your "to see" list, but you are putting more stock in those because of what others say. At what point is it cool to say "Okay I've seen enough. Time to make that list"?

Eric WK

Dali said:
You can't watch every movie. Let's say you catch the ones on your list. Would your list still be valid even though you [may] have not seen Death Sentence or Stardust or TekkonKinkreet? You make like those waaaay more than any of the one's on your "to see" list, but you are putting more stock in those because of what others say. At what point is it cool to say "Okay I've seen enough. Time to make that list"?

The point at which I say I've seen enough is when I've seen every film I had anticipated at the start of the year. There Will Be Blood and Margot were at the top of my most anticipated '08 films. Why in the world would I not want to see them before making a list of my favorite movies of the year?

Dali

Eric WK said:
The point at which I say I've seen enough is when I've seen every film I had anticipated at the start of the year. There Will Be Blood and Margot were at the top of my most anticipated '08 films. Why in the world would I not want to see them before making a list of my favorite movies of the year?

I guess I just don't really anticipate movies much so I don't look at it like that. I have movies that I've seen and movies that I would watch.

I fully understand your reasoning, Eric. I haven't gotten to see a few movies I wanted to see this year. But comparing this to the similar thread I mentioned in the OP, I doubt most people played every game they wanted before the voting for that thread ended. I just didn't feel like holding this thread off any longer.

Joe Molotov

There were a few movies that I still wanted to see (Persepolis, Assassination of Jesse James, and La Vie en Rose) but I feel like I've seen enough to make my list.

Eric WK

CajoleJuice said:
I fully understand your reasoning, Eric. I haven't gotten to see a few movies I wanted to see this year. But comparing this to the similar thread I mentioned in the OP, I doubt most people played every game they wanted before the voting for that thread ended. I just didn't feel like holding this thread off any longer.

Oh for sure. It's just a shame that the limits on playing a game are simply time and money. With film you don't really have a choice in many cases.

And come Sunday I'll probably make a list regardless of whether I've seen all of those flicks or not.

Eric WK said:

Or maybe some of us have seen all those films..

Kevtones

1. Dragon Wars: D-War
2. No Country For Old Men
3. There Will Be Blood
4. King of King
5. The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
6. Eastern Promises
7. Ratatouille
8. Diving Bell and The Butterfly
9. Inland Empire
10. Live Free or Die Hard

Dishonorable mention: Juno

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
1. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
2. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen)
3. Zodiac (David Fincher)
4. Margot at the Wedding (Noah Baumbach)
5. Rescue Dawn (Werner Herzog)
6. Eastern Promises (David Cronenberg)
7. Into the Wild (Sean Penn)
8. The Darjeeling Limited (Wes Anderson)
9. Michael Clayton (Tony Gilroy)
10. Death Proof (Quentin Tarantino)

I haven't seen I'm Not There or The Assassination of Jesse James (and a number of lower-profile films) yet. I kind of feel weird about Death Proof, since I recently and sincerely called Quentin Tarantino an "uninteresting hack" in a thread not too long ago, but I do remember quite enjoying it in the theatre. Maybe Sunshine could take it's place, but there are a few faults that keep that film from being great.

Eric WK said:
What does you having seen all of those films have to do with me not seeing all of them?

Eric WK said:

that

Two people have picked Paprika..I'm not going to count it, even though it didn't release in the US until 2007. It's a 2006 film. Sorry. I'll just skip over it in those lists.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
1. No Country for Old Men
2. There Will Be Blood
3. The Darjeeling Limited

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
1. There Will Be Blood
2. Ratatouille
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Sunshine
5. Zodiac
6. Eastern Promises
7. The Bourne Ultimatum
8. Hot Fuzz
9. First Snow
10. Superbad

Obviously there's a variety of films I've missed, but shit, I'd be saying that even if my job was to watch new movies.

kbear

1. The Bourne Ultimatum
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Michael Clayton
4. American Gangster
5. 300
6. Sunshine
7. Transformers

I haven't seen 'There Will Be Blood' yet. I have a feeling that would be near the top of my list.

Snaku

Banned
1. Stardust
2. The Host
3. Grindhouse
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
5. Ratatouille
6. Zodiac
7. Futurama: Bender's Big Score
8. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
9. Ocean's Thirteen
10. Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

Peru

So this is US centric voting? There are sometimes big differences in release dates across the globe. My list will be quite different from the one where I count theatrical releases in my own country.

For instance Inland Empire was released here in 07 and is without a doubt one of the best of the bunch. Well well. Just skip over that one, then.

I still haven't seen There Will Be Blood and it's my most anticipated movie in a long time. Feels bad contributing to pushing it down the end chart. Jesse James, Into the Wild - the same.

1. Enchanted
2. 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days
3. Inland Empire
4. No Country for Old Men
5. The Host
6. Ratatouille
7. Once
8. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
9. I'm Not There
10. Hot Fuzz

Yeah, I guess it's US-centric. :p (actually, I think I'm going by wherever and whenever the movie was first released)

Now I'm kinda sad that I didn't wait longer, seeing No Country destroying There Will Be Blood. But really, if I waited longer, people might start forgetting films. But then they wouldn't be that great...damn, I don't know. I just know tallying these votes takes longer than I thought. I should just do it by hand. I suck at spreadsheets.

suEcide

I completely forgot to add Poultrygeist for my 4th pick. So:

4- Poultrygeist

Here's hoping it comes on top and wins.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
1. There Will Be Blood
2. Sweeny Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street (why the hell is this not listed?!?!)
3. Juno
4. Ratatouille
5. The Lookout
6. Superbad
7. Simpsons Movie
8. King of Kong (Huge surprise... actually REALLY good.)
9. Bridge to Terabithia (sadly overlooked, very well done kids movie)
10. Transformers... since I have nothing else to put.

1. Bourne Ultimatum
2. No Country For Old Men
3. Stardust
4. Atonement
5. Ratatouille
6. Hot Fuzz
7. Hairspray
8. Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
9. Knocked Up
10. The Darjeeling Limited

There Will Be Blood is my most anticipated film, but it hasn't been released here yet. Plus i have yet to see Into The Wild, Jesse James, Persepolis and a few others :(

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
1. There Will Be Blood
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Atonement
4. Diving Bell and the Butterfly

I saw a lot more than these during the year, but they're the only ones I think are worthy to be in each others company.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
1. The Bourne Ultimatum
2. Shanghai Kiss
3. Stardust
4. Bridge to Terabithia
5. Ratatouille
6. Knocked Up
7. Hot Fuzz
8. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I've missed a lot of movies from 2007, mainly because I've been catching up on all the movies I missed in recent years. I didn't list every 2007 movie I saw (Spider-Man 3, for example, doesn't deserve any placing), but it's pretty close.

Dali

CajoleJuice said:
Two people have picked Paprika..I'm not going to count it, even though it didn't release in the US until 2007. It's a 2006 film. Sorry. I'll just skip over it in those lists.

WTF, dude. Tekkon Kinkreet was released in Japan December 23 2006. There was no possible way for a non-native to see that movie until 2007. You should go by U.S. release date. Look at it them as though they were video games. GotY nominees are counted by their U.S. release date, not their Japanese one, because it is either impossible for Americans to play the game or impossible for them to fully understand (and enjoy) it.

What's with Order of the Phoenix on everyone's number 8 spot? :lol

Not that I care, I just found it interesting that the people who listed the movie put it at #8.

ibu

Bourne Ultimatum
I am Legend
Pirates of Caribbean at Worlds End (if only for the Jack Sparrow mentalness)
This is England (brilliant)
Transformers
Spiderman 3

But film of year for me:

The Assination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford.

Dali said:
WTF, dude. Tekkon Kinkreet was released in Japan December 23 2006. There was no possible way for a non-native to see that movie until 2007. You should go by U.S. release date. Look at it them as though they were video games. GotY nominees are counted by their U.S. release date, not their Japanese one, because it is either impossible for Americans to play the game or impossible for them to fully understand (and enjoy) it.

Paprika was show in LA during 2006 and was actually considered for that year's Oscars.

Most people, like me, saw it during its expanded release in May 2007.

C4Lukins

1. No Country For Old Men
2. Stardust
3. 3:10 to Yuma
4. Eastern Promises
5. There Will Be Blood
6. The Bourne Ultimatum
7. Juno
8. Superbad
9. Zodiac
10. Ratatouille

Still need to see
Atonement
Gone Baby Gone
Diving Bell and the Butterfly
The Kite Runner
The King of Kong
The Assassination of JJ by.....
Sweeney Todd
Sunshine
The Darjeeling Limited
Once
Michael Clayton

Dali

Great Rumbler said:
Paprika was show in LA during 2006 and was actually considered for that year's Oscars.

Most people, like me, saw it during its expanded release in May 2007.

I'm not talking about Paprika. I'm referring to his statement that he is going by original (foreign) release dates rather than U.S. release dates.

1. Stardust
2. Sweeney Todd
3. Ratatouille
4. Atonement
5. No Country For Old Men
6. Persepolis
7. Eastern Promises

I still need to see several hundred movies from 2007 to make this a more accurate and comprehensive list. However, most of the films listed are locked into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom