• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Movies of the Year 2007 Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CajoleJuice said:
And Count, don't be a dick. I agree with Mifune, but since this isn't some official awards show or some shit, I figured I'd be a man of the people and allow voters some leeway.

It's all in good fun.

Also, didn't Paprika get a NYC release as well?

Peru

Enchanted is totally getting shafted :(

I gave major love to Enchanted, but as with the academies and guilds it doesn't get the respect it deserves simply on account of being a family film. Back in the days Mary Poppins and Wizard of Oz got their just praise, but these days it's not serious enough I guess.

Actually it did get a Critic's Choice award and they were wise enough to give Amy Adams a 'Best Actress' nod as well.

Count Dookkake said:
It's all in good fun.

Also, didn't Paprika get a NYC release as well?
Yeah, according to IMDB, it did. But I was just saying that it got released in LA in 2006 before that. It never got a *limited* release, apparently. Just LA and NY releases.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Count Dookkake said:
You were saying? :lol
Cajole essentially agreed with Mifune, stupid :lol

Children of Men is an '06 film, just like both of them said. I don't think Mifune was arguing against the American limited release date whatsoever-- that would be you.

Ford Prefect said:
Cajole essentially agreed with Mifune, stupid :lol

Children of Men is an '06 film, just like both of them said. I don't think Mifune was arguing against the American limited release date whatsoever-- that would be you.

Stupid? Mifune's position was global, not US.

I carried it to an extreme.

The wrangling on all sides points to the problem of grouping art projects together by year of release, as it really is quite arbitrary. Year of conception might be of more interest to future viewers, but that wouldn't be really useful here.

Mifune

Mehmber
Count Dookkake said:
Stupid? Mifune's position was global, not US.

I carried it to an extreme.

The wrangling on all sides points to the problem of grouping art projects together by year of release, as it really is quite arbitrary. Year of conception might be of more interest to future viewers, but that wouldn't be really useful here.

Yeah, my position would be limited release, no matter where it is. But at least Children of Men isn't a fucking 2007 movie, which is what got me to comment in the first place.

But again, I don't really care. I don't want to argue it anymore.

mr stroke

1.Zodiac
2.American Gangster
4.No Country For Old Men
5.Juno
6.Ratatouille
7.Grindhouse
8.There Will Be Blood
9.Atonement
10.Superbad

Great year so far, and still some potentialy great movies I still haven't seen-Jessie James, Into The Wild, Gone Baby Gone, Persepolis, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, and Borne.

Joe Molotov

CajoleJuice said:
Yeah, according to IMDB, it did. But I was just saying that it got released in LA in 2006 before that. It never got a *limited* release, apparently. Just LA and NY releases.

Actually, it did get a nationwide limited release in May 2007. That was when I saw it in Dallas. But it was Oscar eligible in 2006 because of the LA/NYC release at the end of 2006. That was the criteria I used for making my list, if it was Oscar eligible in 2007, then it was a 2007 movie.

SleazyC

1. No Country For Old Men
2. There Will Be Blood
3. 3:10 to Yuma
4. Superbad
5. Ratatouille
6. American Gangster
7. Bourne Ultimatum
8. I Am Legend
9. Sweeney Todd
10. The Kingdom

Just saw There Will Be Blood. I'm going back to revise my list.

edit: uhm, can I do that? I don't want the thread master to have to do recounts and shit because of me :lol

Not one vote for Underdog? Looks like its up to me

1. ONE NATION... UNDERDOG
2. Dragon Wars
3. Superman Doomsday
4. Bender's Big Score
5. Simpsons
6. Bourne
7. King of Kong
8. Rush Hour 3
9. Knocked Up

Yixian

Banned
I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet, but here goes:

1 (number 1, ie. 10 points): The Assasination of Jesse James
2: No Country for Old Men
3: Zodiac
4: Superbad
5: Ratatouille
6: The Simpsons Movie
7: Hott Fuzz
8: American Gangster
9: I Am Legend

Can't even think of anything else deserving of any points, although I'm sure Lust/Caution and TWBB would push I Am Legend off and assume 1-5 somewhere if I'd seen them.

Cheebs

HamPster PamPster said:
Not one vote for Underdog? Looks like its up to me

1. ONE NATION... UNDERDOG
2. Dragon Wars
3. Superman Doomsday
4. Bender's Big Score
5. Simpsons
6. Bourne
7. King of Kong
8. Rush Hour 3
9. Knocked Up
are you talking about that TALKING DOG KIDS MOVIE? :lol

brandonh83 said:
Just saw There Will Be Blood. I'm going back to revise my list.

edit: uhm, can I do that? I don't want the thread master to have to do recounts and shit because of me :lol
Send me a PM, or just post the changes.

1) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
2) There Will Be Blood
3) Halloween
4) The Mist
5) Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

louie

1) Once
2) No country for old men
3) The simpsons movie
4) Ratatouille
5) Before the devil knows you're dead
6) Juno
7) Bourne Ultimatum
8) Superbad
9) atonement
10) Futurama: Bender's Big Score

el jacko

hmm.

1. No Country for Old Men
2. Blame it on Fidel*
3. Superbad
4. Charlie Wilson's War
5. Eastern Promises
6. Knocked Up
7. The Bourne Ultimatum
8. 300

* released in the US in 2007

Ganondorfo

1.The assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford
2.The bourne ultimatum
3.Before the devil knows you're dead
4.Rescue dawn
5.There will be blood
6.Ratatouille
7.Sunshine
8.No country for old men
9.The orphanage
10.Hot fuzz

Ganondorfo

brandonh83 said:
hey guys look I'm not nearly elitist enough for Blader5489!

Everyone has his own opinion, I respect your opinion. (I found halloween very horrible btw and found pirates 3 the worst of the trilogy)

Yes I'm aware that many hated Halloween and Pirates 3. And quite frankly I don't give two shits because everyone has movies that they loved and a lot of people did not, and vice versa. And furthermore, I'm a three-year college film major about to graduate within the year; I'm not saying this makes me the shit or that all my opinions are bulletproof, no, but I'm not exactly an average Joe when it comes to film. Halloween is my third favorite movie of the year and I'd say I'm easily able to explain why with plenty of valid reasons. I just don't need this shit in this thread -- it's merely a voting thread, not a battle of the film purists arena. It just pisses me off when I love movies for perfectly valid reasons and just because "the majority" doesn't agree means that my tastes are laughable or wrong. I can defend why I loved Halloween, and Pirates 3 for that matter. I'm just not going to because the horse has been beaten so much that its remains are unidentifiable with the rest of the shit on the ground.

Cheebs said:

If you have ever owned a dog you will love this movie. My eyes got all misty around the end. So touching!

Now if you a cat person I could see why you hate the film
cat people are stupid

Amir0x

Banned
man brandonh83 there's good brain-dead popcorn flicks and then there's bad brain-dead popcorn flicks... it just appears you don't have much discretion between the two. I don't think it's elitist to be saying that! At least not to get so angry about it.

Iamthegamer said:
What the hell is with these Dragon Wars votes?

I can honestly say that Dragon Wars was the first time I've actually reallly really REALLY wanted a High Def surround sound set up. I've been to Best Buy, have a PC resolution at 1024 or something, and seen all the gameplay videos of next / current gen games but none of them had to effect for me that D War did.

The acting, characters, writing, plot were all HORRIBLE. The worst of the year by far (and I've seen SM 3, Transformers, F4, and YES even the Iron Man animated movie. But the special effects were just sooooooooooooooooooo good. Sure it may be shallow of me but
the serpent and dragon fight was something my childhood dreams were made of
. This will be the first movie I buy in high def once I have a high def TV. For now my SD tv is chugging along just fine I suppose :(

I didn't watch that many movies in 2007, but here's my list from what I did watch.

1. The Kingdom
2. Ratatouille
3. Mr. Brooks
4. Black Snake Moan
5. 300
6. The Bourne Ultimatum
7. Beowulf (IMAX 3D)
8. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
9. American Gangster
10. Shoot 'Em Up (Only on list due to Monica Belluci, playing a lactating hooker, who gives bjs behind dumpsters in dark alleys)

1. Grindhouse - If we could split it up, it'd be 1. Planet Terror, 4. Faux Trailers, 9. Death Proof
2. Ratatouille
3. The Darjeeling Limited - I haven't actually see this yet, but since I watched the trailer daily for about a month, I can't not include it
10. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Anyone else think they're just going through the motions yet?

Wendo

Vasectomember
1. The Assassination of Jesse James
2. Into the Wild
3. Blade Runner: Final Cut
4. 3:10 to Yuma
5. There Will Be Blood

Haven't seen Juno or Old Country yet.

Amir0x said:
man brandonh83 there's good brain-dead popcorn flicks and then there's bad brain-dead popcorn flicks... it just appears you don't have much discretion between the two. I don't think it's elitist to be saying that! At least not to get so angry about it.

I have plenty of discretion between the two. But even if I explained myself to the fullest, I doubt many people would really understand because it's always been like this. Whatever. I listed my top five of the year and that's that.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Cheebs said:

ratatouille? Are you talking about that TALKING RAT KIDS MOVIE?:lol

edit- for the record I didn't see underdog.

Sanjay

1.There Will Be Blood
2.Gone Baby Gone
3.Eastern Promises
4.Mr. Brooks
5.The Assassination Of Jesse James
6.No Country For Old Men
7.The Kite Runner
8.310 to Yuma
9.Once
10.The Great Debaters

Ckid

1. Ratatouille
2. Superbad
3. Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix
4. Juno
5. No Country for old men
6. Spiderman 3!!!
7. 300

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
MaX_PL said:
its a cartoon. how is it not a kids movie?
the fuck?

media-2007-10-persepolis-2.jpg

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I dunno, a film centering around cooking and rats doesn't seem to offer a whole lot for kids in comparison to something like Shrek IMO, that's all. It can skirt by with a kids movie connotation, but barely in my book.

swoon

1. No Country for Old Men
2. Lust, Caution
3. Atonement
4. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
5. The Orphanage
6. Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead
7. Ratatouille
8. The Savages
9. Michael Clayton
10. There Will Be Blood

bonus round!

11. Juno
12. Grindhouse
13. Persepolis
14. Sweeney Todd
15. Black Snake Moan
16. Surf's Up
17. Away From Her
18. The Assassination of Jesse James
19. Eastern Promises
20. Ocean's Thirteen

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
1. There Will Be Blood
2. Ratatouille
3. No Country For Old Men

I don't want to make a top ten yet because I still haven't seen several 2007 films. However, I feel confident that my top three will not change. I was able to see each film twice in theaters and after my second viewing I really felt There Will Be Blood had that extra bit of something to put it in the top slot.

I still need to see Juno, Michael Clayton, Atonement, King of Kong, Assassination of Jesse James, Into the Wild, I'm Not There, American Gangster, Gone Baby Gone, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Enchanted, and Persepolis. Jesus, just listing off all those movies makes me feel like less of a film buff. I am a false prophet of cinema.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom