• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q3 - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
4.jpg

4.jpg

7595054974_aea920b5bb_b.jpg

7595018988_03fbf0a0fe_b.jpg

Excuse my French, but Got Damn! Digging the smoke and her facial expression.

CDRacing, loving the rustic colors and lighting.

Represent. ... Awe-some photos, love the colors, and how they pop.

All of you are inspiring me. Gracias.

alterno69

Banned
I need some advice from those who take pics at weddings and similar events that might take place in low light environments. Is a full frame camera a most? I only have a 60d and last weekend i covered a dinner in a palapa with poor lightning. I'm not a fan of how the pics came out using my 430 flash :(

My fastest lens is a 1.8 50mm wich on my camera comes out pretty narrow for events like these.

I need help gaf.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I need some advice from those who take pics at weddings and similar events that might take place in low light environments. Is a full frame camera a most? I only have a 60d and last weekend i covered a dinner in a palapa with poor lightning. I'm not a fan of how the pics came out using my 430 flash :(

My fastest lens is a 1.8 50mm wich on my camera comes out pretty narrow for events like these.

I need help gaf.

I've shot a few weddings without a full frame camera and the pics were great.

Though it helps to have at least 2 photographers.

But no I dont think a full frame camera is a must, I shot mine with a 7D.

magicstop

I need help gaf.

Pick up a wider lens? I use a Tamron 20-40 2.8 which is fast enough for indoors, but goes quite wide as well as zooms a bit for nice portraits. That said, you might consider a 24 or 28 prime, something faster if possible.

alterno69

Banned
So i should avoid using the flash as most as possible? I do think the pics i took without it turned out better but they're quite noisy since i used a 3.5 18-135 for the gig. I was afraid of using my 50mm cause it was kind of a tight place.

Ok guys, like I said I'm trying to get in a contest with some of the photos I posted.

One of the photos, I'm using it in another contest, and I need some help. To get to the juri the photo needs to be in the first 10 places, which means I have to get a lot of "likes" in this crap!

Can you guys help? (I know, it's a facebook app etc, I tend to run away from those things lol)

The photo is crap, but it's an amateur contest. My skill level doesn't allow for more :p

(quote to reveal link if interested)

Toddler

One of my good friends who is teaching me about photography.

7609641414_24754e368f_c.jpg

The crooked horizon is messing with my eyes o_O Other than that, sharp as a tack!

OK... got asked to do senior portraits by a friend, this will be the most professional thing I've done so far.

With that said, I'm thinking of renting a full frame and a lens or two ( I currently have a 7D, 50mm1.4, and a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens). Any suggestions, tips, stories, photos, or pretty much anything you guys might think would be relevant would be a huge help.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
With that said, I'm thinking of renting a full frame and a lens or two ( I currently have a 7D, 50mm1.4, and a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens). Any suggestions, tips, stories, photos, or pretty much anything you guys might think would be relevant would be a huge help.

Your gear is currently fine to shoot that. I wouldn't blow tons of money renting fancy gear since you don't need it. Unless for some crazy reason your friend wants to foot the bill :p

If you don't have much in terms of lighting I would just stick with a simple reflector. If you don't have a reflector you can get one for like $40 and they are a really good investment if you want to keep shooting people. If you don't want to spend $40 you can just get a cheap piece of white cardboard to do the trick. Since you are shooting seniors I'm assuming a parent or friend will be there. Have them handle the reflector and it makes them feel involved rather then just standing there.

sarcastor

is it indoors or outdoors? indoors you're gonna need some kind of lighting - look into renting a two light kit. Outdoors, get two 5-in-1 reflectors. use one as a bounce card and the other as a diffuser to block the sunlight.

You want to shoot above 50mm, so perhaps rent a 70-200mm f/4 or a 85mm f/1.8. You don't need a fancy 5dm2 or f/2.8 zoom lense. Just get a tripod :)

IMG_0085 by huyness, on Flickr

photoshoot with some friends.

Maiar_m

Hey guys, I just got a new lense: a canon 20mm 2.8. I got it for about 30$...because the auto-focus is shot and the manual is a real drag. I basically have to swing the ring real fast and violently, and it moves a bit, quite randomely.

So, the question is, have any of you had any experience in having your lenses fixed? How much did it send you back?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Hey guys, I just got a new lense: a canon 20mm 2.8. I got it for about 30$...because the auto-focus is shot and the manual is a real drag. I basically have to swing the ring real fast and violently, and it moves a bit, quite randomely.

So, the question is, have any of you had any experience in having your lenses fixed? How much did it send you back?

Depends on the lens and the problem. You can call Canon to get an estimate. They wanted 300 something dollars to get a few grains of sand out of the focus ring on my 24-105 f/4. It involved taking a lot of the lens apart and putting it back together.

Sooo, I still have sand in my focus ring :p

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Shot some art nudes at the beach. Uploaded a few to my flickr (account has to be flagged for moderate/restricted) if anyone is interested. All very much NSFW.

A challenge! by JAE_20, on Flickr

magicstop

Shot some art nudes at the beach. Uploaded a few to my flickr (account has to be flagged for moderate/restricted) if anyone is interested. All very much NSFW.

A challenge! by JAE_20, on Flickr

Great photos! Throughout the account, I should say, not just the nudes :D I recognize a model or two in there . . . You're obviously getting published with shots that amazing. Mind if I ask with who?

not really the best of shots, but I like it. Very hard to time the photo when a fish is trying to catch a insect.

The insect just escaped and owned the trout bigtime :)

Troutmissingacaddis.jpg

Red

I might be getting a Canon mp-e 65mm, really excited. I am being given the option of the 65 or 100mm is usm. Can't decide.

Good shots everybody. Every time someone posts I realize how far I still need to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom