• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also like to know. What were these taken with?

I've never actually seen the Laytonville toilet up close.

Wonder how long it's been there, I only noticed it my last trip south.

Nice shots! I want to either pick up or get my father's old canon film camera to take with me for personal photos when I am out. Lightroom is always a great tool for starting out but photoshop is where I refine and do all my grunt work for portraits. I use lightroom for all the basics of bringing highlights and shadows to where I want them and then basic tone and curves. Afterwards, I throw them into photoshop.

Thanks. Got any tips or links to tutorials for photoshop?

Futureman

I did a series of portraits of cattle. This is my fav. I'll post some more later.

sally.jpg

These were all great, I really like this one, nice lines

Thanks!

god dammit I don't know how to post pictures here through flickr

Click onto a picture and look for that little arrow icon on the bottom left, then grab the BBCode.

Got a few more done.

BBQ Squid by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Daily Catch by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Making Wishes by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Floating Gardens by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Melancholy by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Picture I took late last year, but never uploaded cause she never gave me permission. Today was the day where I just said fuck it and uploaded it somewhere sort of private.
568dac647f32a.jpg

I have others that are a bit NSFW.

snaffles

Picture I took late last year, but never uploaded cause she never gave me permission. Today was the day where I just said fuck it and uploaded it somewhere sort of private.
I have others that are a bit NSFW.

There is no "sort of private" when it comes to the internet. So if there is a reason you needed permission I would suggest you take it down.

There is no "sort of private" when it comes to the internet. So if there is a reason you needed permission I would suggest you take it down.
I didn't sign a contract, nor was I paid. And when I did ask her about the usage of my pictures weeks ago she just asked if she could use my laptop again. I still don't even know why I can't use the damn things. I'm probably also taking them down after my next shoot with a female any way. I have nothing but dudes on my small portfolio. And to add to that I have it on the site where I met the stupid woman. If I wanted to be that kind of asshole it would've been either on my instagram or flickr pages.

hEist

doing a 365+1 day project, again. Hopefully i will make it until the end, but this time with the iPhone. Glad i don't need to trail the dslr this time all day long.
what a great idea...i hate it already.

first 7 days:

lt519

Decided to give photography a try, I'm looking for a new hobby and I already travel a ton and do some hiking, so thought it might be fun. Picked up a manufacturer refurb'd Sony a6000 with all accessories and two lenses; a 16-50mm and a 55-210mm for $620.

So, what are some good books/online tutorials to read over the weekend while I wait for it to arrive?

brerwolfe

I did a series of portraits of cattle. This is my fav. I'll post some more later.

sally.jpg

I love him.

Also, I don't think I ever posted these here. This time last year I was lucky enough to be sent to Hawaii for work. I cashed in some airline miles and brought my wife with me. We ended up going snorkeling, whale watching and hiking around Maui, it was incredible. Hoping we have the opportunity to go again next year.

Whale Watching - HQ by brerwolfe, on Flickr

Whale Watching - Sunrise Spray by brerwolfe, on Flickr

Whale Watching - Tail Slap by brerwolfe, on Flickr

Whale Watching - Smile for the Camera by brerwolfe, on Flickr

I love him.

Also, I don't think I ever posted these here. This time last year I was lucky enough to be sent to Hawaii for work. I cashed in some airline miles and brought my wife with me. We ended up going snorkeling, whale watching and hiking around Maui, it was incredible. Hoping we have the opportunity to go again next year.

Whale Watching - Sunrise Spray by brerwolfe, on Flickr

Whale Watching - Tail Slap by brerwolfe, on Flickr

Whale Watching - Smile for the Camera by brerwolfe, on Flickr
These are beautiful. So many EOS 5D Mark III's on Flickr.

brerwolfe

These are beautiful. So many EOS 5D Mark III's on Flickr.
Thanks!

I love my camera. I held out on buying it for a while because I was disappointed they didn't try to make drastic improvements to the video recording at all (I really wanted 1080/60fps, 720/120fps). But once I finally bought it I've been in love.

Adding it as a business expense was helpful as well.

Futureman

Thanks!

I love my camera. I held out on buying it for a while because I was disappointed they didn't try to make drastic improvements to the video recording at all (I really wanted 1080/60fps, 720/120fps). But once I finally bought it I've been in love.

I've had my 5DII since 2009 or so. I think I'm ready to upgrade w/ the 5D IV which sounds like is coming this year.
That cow has a better haircut than I do. Cool photo.

Thanks snaffles!

I love him.

OMG IT'S A LADY.

Thanks!

As an unpaid freelance photographer can I even do that?

brerwolfe

You'd have to speak to a tax professional to be sure, but if you intend to make money with your photography, then yes, you could claim it as a business expense.

I've yet to form an LLC but I've been writing off my lens/camera/lights/flashes/computers/quadcopters since I became self-employed in 2011.

You'd have to speak to a tax professional to be sure, but if you intend to make money with your photography, then yes, you could claim it as a business expense.

I've yet to form an LLC but I've been writing off my lens/camera/lights/flashes/computers/quadcopters since I became self-employed in 2011.
I intend to eventually make money, but I'm not self employed.

Mr. Hyde

Wonder how long it's been there, I only noticed it my last trip south.

Thanks. Got any tips or links to tutorials for photoshop?

I watch a lot of Phlearn's youtube videos plus a lot of Chris Orwig videos from Lynda.com when I was starting out in photoshop. It takes time but the basic things such as curves (including playing with r, g, and b, not just the main rgb tab) can change an image quite a bit. I use google a lot if I feel stuck on trying to figure something out in photoshop. There's a free tutorial for almost everything. If I can think of anything that will make it easier, I will let you know.

The 80's Dream. by Tony F, on Flickr

I shot this on January 1st while doing some tests with a red gel on the main light and a blue on the other. I just edited it today. It was a fun experiment and I will be attempting to take it to a more artistic level this coming Sunday when a model/friend comes over. She is liking a lot of what I do so she wants to get involved in some of my work. I am excited/nervous.

I watch a lot of Phlearn's youtube videos plus a lot of Chris Orwig videos from Lynda.com when I was starting out in photoshop. It takes time but the basic things such as curves (including playing with r, g, and b, not just the main rgb tab) can change an image quite a bit. I use google a lot if I feel stuck on trying to figure something out in photoshop. There's a free tutorial for almost everything. If I can think of anything that will make it easier, I will let you know.

I shot this on January 1st while doing some tests with a red gel on the main light and a blue on the other. I just edited it today. It was a fun experiment and I will be attempting to take it to a more artistic level this coming Sunday when a model/friend comes over. She is liking a lot of what I do so she wants to get involved in some of my work. I am excited/nervous.
Shit. Looking at your stuff I can see that I have the basics right but I need to experiment more with lighting and such. That's really cool.

Cool Photo, and cool project.

sally.jpg

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Excitement is one of the best feeling to have when working on a craft.

I liek leegos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/h3xantistyle/shares/mViv9V For all of today's Lego photos

Revenge of the Smiles by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
(I tried to go for a "movie" look with this one, dunno how successful I was.)
Working Late by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Just Need a Lead... by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
(I'm mad about this one because I took a lot of effort to spin the fan without bumping anything and then it's too out of focus to matter :/ )
Cowboy Trooper vs Ninjas by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Nighttime Stroll by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

There's a few ones but I think these are the best from tonight.

snaffles

Loving the Lego ones. Let me know if ya'll have seen enough of my crap..

I don't know if it is just the way you expose/process your photos, but a lot of the photos you shoot remind me of the look of 1970s Hong Kong movies. From the previous set you posted the "Daily Catch" one in particular.

Those are really cool, I like "Working Late" the best of the bunch.
Thank you! To be quite honest, I'm not sure which one I like the best overall. X_x Right now it's probably a toss up between Nighttime Stroll and Revenge of the Smiles, but really I love them all.

Yeah it has a very film noir look to it. I can't believe the shutter speeds are that slow. I guess macro photography is just like that since it's mostly tripod based.
Pssssshhh. If you think this is slow you haven't done astrophotography yet. 15s is where exposure starts. :D
A LARGE LARGE LARGE portion of why I want an a7 series camera is actually solely for the improvements it'll bring me both directly and indirectly. ESPECIALLY based on one lens in particular. Right now my BEST lens, bar none, is my f1.4 50mm FD lens. BUT, on APSC, it's a telephoto, which means I have to shorten my exposure times to prevent star trailing. My 30mm is only a 2.8, which is significantly less light. Going to a full frame means I'll already get an improvement in noise just based on sensor size, and then my 50mm becomes that much more usable for capturing the sky since it'll be wider and avoid star trailing much better. It's a two for one. My only other option is to get a wide ass f1.4 35mm or some such, but at $500 for Samyang's offering (I'm not doing no focus by wire crap for stars) it's a bit too much.
Most of these were taken between F5.6 and F8, using a closet light for the "outdoor/street" lighting, and then my phone's flashlight as the interior's lights, so didn't have a whole lot of room to work with. TBQH, I need to find some small, dimmable LEDs or something. Hardest part was not overexposing the phone's flashlight too much, or I actually would've pushed my exposure times even longer.

Pssssshhh. If you think this is slow you haven't done astrophotography yet. 15s is where exposure starts. :D
A LARGE LARGE LARGE portion of why I want an a7 series camera is actually solely for the improvements it'll bring me both directly and indirectly. ESPECIALLY based on one lens in particular. Right now my BEST lens, bar none, is my f1.4 50mm FD lens. BUT, on APSC, it's a telephoto, which means I have to shorten my exposure times to prevent star trailing. My 30mm is only a 2.8, which is significantly less light. Going to a full frame means I'll already get an improvement in noise just based on sensor size, and then my 50mm becomes that much more usable for capturing the sky since it'll be wider and avoid star trailing much better. It's a two for one. My only other option is to get a wide ass f1.4 35mm or some such, but at $500 for Samyang's offering (I'm not doing no focus by wire crap for stars) it's a bit too much.
Most of these were taken between F5.6 and F8, using a closet light for the "outdoor/street" lighting, and then my phone's flashlight as the interior's lights, so didn't have a whole lot of room to work with. TBQH, I need to find some small, dimmable LEDs or something. Hardest part was not overexposing the phone's flashlight too much, or I actually would've pushed my exposure times even longer.
Sounds like I'm never touching astrophotography cause A) I live in the suburbs and B) I don't have the lenses for it.

I don't know if it is just the way you expose/process your photos, but a lot of the photos you shoot remind me of the look of 1970s Hong Kong movies. From the previous set you posted the "Daily Catch" one in particular.

haha I can see that, especially on that one since I was trying something new. I generally try new editing styles for every few batch of pictures, but I do get lazy after a while.

Sounds like I'm never touching astrophotography cause A) I live in the suburbs and B) I don't have the lenses for it.

Good news is that there's absolutely no point to things like OIS or autofocus, so if you were going to buy a lens for it, it's pretty easy to get pretty cheap on it.

But since it's something I want to do more regularly, getting that extra little bit of "oomph" means it's more sensible to upgrade the camera than the lens. Less noise means more ISO plus using a wider lens. :D But there are 35mm 1.4's from Samyang, and IIRC there's a very high profile astrophotographer who'd rather have that lens than any lens from Nikon or Canon (ESPECIALLY over Nikon, though he didn't directly state it). And he was comparing this $400 Samyang to 1 and $2000 Canon lenses.

EDIT: Crap forgot why I came in here haha.
So anyway, I don't get why, but despite me not actively posting this anywhere, this is my most viewed photo from last night. I don't get why, doesn't seem all that special to me, but whatevs, I guess it's got something going for it.
Movies Love Popcorn by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

roddur

Do you guys edit the photos after? I've tried many times to edit my shots. But i just don't know what to do with them, I'm so lost when it comes to editing. Can you guys share some tips?

Also if these shots are not edited then holy mother of god, you guys have the greatest eyes for taking photos.

brerwolfe

Do you guys edit the photos after?

Also if these shots are not edited then holy mother of god, you guys have the greatest eyes for taking photos.
I'd be surprised to meet a photographer that didn't adjust at least one setting in post-production.

Do you guys edit the photos after? I've tried many times to edit my shots. But i just don't know what to do with them, I'm so lost when it comes to editing. Can you guys share some tips?

Easy.

Hit Auto for White Balance and Tone in Lightroom lol.

Auto is actually really really good and I'd say it's 90% accurate to what you'd want to do with your pictures.

Easy.

Hit Auto for White Balance and Tone in Lightroom lol.

Auto is actually really really good and I'd say it's 90% accurate to what you'd want to do with your pictures.
Makes it sound like I've been doing it wrong for months. I just feel that auto tone brightens stuff up too much for my liking.

Peru

More toying around. As I mentioned in the equipment thread I bought an XF 55-200mm lens for my X-T1 this week. I had no intentions of shooting deep space objects with it, but after my spur of the moment capture of a nebula on the first day came out surprisingly well I decided to do it again.

Still static tripod, no mount or filters, but this time I stacked a batch of exposures in photoshop.

5 second exposures was definitely pushing it as the stars are not round, but I'm not chasing perfection with my first attempt and just dig seeing what a regular old camera on a tripod can do.

Auto is bane of my existence. I manually edit every single photo I post anywhere. If it's not worth editing it's not worth posting.

Also, with auto, you do have to keep in mind that if you had 5 people edit the exact same photo to their tastes, you'd end up with 5 very different photos.

Auto is bane of my existence. I manually edit every single photo I post anywhere. If it's not worth editing it's not worth posting.

Also, with auto, you do have to keep in mind that if you had 5 people edit the exact same photo to their tastes, you'd end up with 5 very different photos.
Auto always just looks over exposed to me.

Fuser

Hi all, this is my first post on NeoGaf but I've been lurking for about ten years now so thought I had better sign up!

I've been out a few times this year but the weather hasn't been too kind, so I'll post a few from the past two months of 2015 if that's OK. Around October 2015 I suddenly felt inspired for photography again following a very long break, I bought myself the 5Diii (yep, another one on flickr!) and have been getting out as much as possible since.

5C5A0926 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0345 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0417 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0279 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0763 by Pete Johns, on Flickr
5C5A0169 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0154 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A1058-2 by Pete Johns, on Flickr
(this last one was taken a couple of days ago, second time trying night photography so still learning the ropes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom