• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koriandrr

I love those shots! ... but one thing bugs me a little bit.... how green you've made them? (suggesting you've made them this green in lightroom/photoshop). I personally think it would be so much better if the houses pop out a little bit more, instead of blend in with all the green and look a bit... unnatural. I'd make the houses whiter and less green, leave the nature to be green. :D

Just got back from my trip:

snip

holy crap this is awesome. Love the parrot!
aaand... there's no EXIF on Flickr. *sadface*
What lens did you use?

23912442021_3477531596_b.jpg

this is absolutely beautiful!
I've been looking for a place like this in London for a shoot...

DD

I love those shots! ... but one thing bugs me a little bit.... how green you've made them? (suggesting you've made them this green in lightroom/photoshop). I personally think it would be so much better if the houses pop out a little bit more, instead of blend in with all the green and look a bit... unnatural. I'd make the houses whiter and less green, leave the nature to be green. :D

I edited this pics on Photoshop, yes, but I don't remember the extent of the edition. These are from 2009, and I don't have the original files anymore, unfortunately. The place was, as you can see, very green, but I may have pushed it some levels more, hah. But thanks for your feedback, Kori. Glad you like it! :)

pringles

I've often wondered how panoramas like this are done considering the changing nature of your scene due to long exposure times.

Like it takes me 20-25 second exposure to get the Milky Way to really pop. If I took 10 shots, it would seem like the scene would be different enough by the end, that it might make the stitching process difficult.

Are the Northern Lights static enough to allow that to happen easily enough?
It's a bit tricky when it comes to the northern lights. They probably need to be on the weak/calm side for it to really be viable, otherwise they're dancing around and changing shapes too much. The long exposure times help smooth the aurora out though so even though it's not 'static' you can still get it done as long as you time it so the aurora is remaining in a similar pattern. That photo is definitely my best result at such a panorama yet. I've only attempted it a few times though because it's so difficult to get right. And because on those nights when there's really strong, colorful aurora shows it's easier to just shoot wide angle and capture it in single shots. I can't really go up to 20-25 second exposures without getting star-trails unless I shoot with the widest setting on my wide angle lens anyway. I really like the added details of multi-exposure shots though and I hate removing my 24-70 lens from my camera, I love it too much.

Also wondering the same, Doesn't take long for the stars to move so can't figure out how to line it all up! I'm going off to Iceland soon so need to work it out!
As long as you don't go too high on the exposure times (try to keep it to 10-15 seconds probably) and you're reasonably quick it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I can't say I'm an expert though. But I try to stitch it up based on the foreground. I guess the stars move a little bit from the first photo in the sequence to the last, but it's not something that is noticeable in the finished picture. One example:

This is I believe 16 exposures of 15 seconds each, so it's like 5 minutes total to shoot the whole thing, and really only 2-3 minutes to capture the sky portion. The biggest 'problem' up here with these shots is getting clear skies without any aurora imo. Even when it looks completely clear you'll often get traces of it like in the pic above.

Btw, super jealous you're going to Iceland. I have to book a trip there sometime soon.

It's a bit tricky when it comes to the northern lights. They probably need to be on the weak/calm side for it to really be viable, otherwise they're dancing around and changing shapes too much. The long exposure times help smooth the aurora out though so even though it's not 'static' you can still get it done as long as you time it so the aurora is remaining in a similar pattern. That photo is definitely my best result at such a panorama yet. I've only attempted it a few times though because it's so difficult to get right. And because on those nights when there's really strong, colorful aurora shows it's easier to just shoot wide angle and capture it in single shots. I can't really go up to 20-25 second exposures without getting star-trails unless I shoot with the widest setting on my wide angle lens anyway. I really like the added details of multi-exposure shots though and I hate removing my 24-70 lens from my camera, I love it too much.

As long as you don't go too high on the exposure times (try to keep it to 10-15 seconds probably) and you're reasonably quick it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I can't say I'm an expert though. But I try to stitch it up based on the foreground. I guess the stars move a little bit from the first photo in the sequence to the last, but it's not something that is noticeable in the finished picture. One example:

This is I believe 16 exposures of 15 seconds each, so it's like 5 minutes total to shoot the whole thing, and really only 2-3 minutes to capture the sky portion. The biggest 'problem' up here with these shots is getting clear skies without any aurora imo. Even when it looks completely clear you'll often get traces of it like in the pic above.

Btw, super jealous you're going to Iceland. I have to book a trip there sometime soon.

This is all very enlightening. I do all my star photos with an ultrawide fisheye lens, so the distortion has always been too much to effectively do any stacking or aligning, but maybe it's time to invest in something that I can do that with.

Thanks for the information!

hEist

Without your permission? Are you planning on pursuing any action against them?

nope, they bought it one year ago from Getty (3 times in 3 different sizes). So legit.
But here and there i find Companies / People etc. using my picture like on homepages, ads, etc. without my authorisation or even my knowledge. If one of the images is represented by getty or plain picture, i just inform them about the usage. They inform me, if they will pursue any action.

But there are some images, that are not available on both agency, so i try to get in touch with the responsible people myself. Sometimes it works out, sometimes (like companies) i get ignored etc. Specially on the Asian Market (i mean you, China). its really annoying to be honest...

How good would you say a Nikon D5000 is? My dad got one back when I was in high school, and my parents wanted me to learn how to shoot. I'm often asked to bring it along for family vacations and some events, but generally I only shoot for my own enjoyment. I don't really take pictures for other people because I don't handle the pressure very well. I'm always afraid that I'll miss an important moment, so I kinda just gave up on it. But my friend has been getting into photography lately, and he's starting to be asked to take photos, film, and edit videos. He's even starting to get paid for it. I don't really want to get paid for shooting (just adds to the pressure) but I guess I am a little jealous because of the exposure as a photographer/videographer that he's getting. He's even asked me to come help him with events before since he knows it used to be my hobby, but I declined because I'm not confident in my abilities.

But even though I've taken decent photos in high school, I feel like there is a lot of potential in my camera I just can't take advantage of. All I've really used are the Scene settings, and I find that unless my subjects are completely still (which is why I prefer taking close-up shots of inanimate objects), my pictures often come out really blurry. This is why I avoid taking photos of busy events where I'd like to take pictures of people doing their own thing, not merely posing for the camera.

I sorta know the relationship among different setting parameters, but I was too lazy to find the perfect balance in every scene. Maybe I was just to slow with changing the settings. I followed a tutorial to change the settings to achieve a bokeh effect once long ago, but of course I forgot the mechanics of how changing those settings produced that lighting effect. Also, how important is post-processing in photography? I don't really like spending time in editing software. Plus I don't even have a good eye for editing.

I'm sorry if this post is a jumbled mess of words. I wasn't quite sure whether to post this here or the equipment thread, and I just started typing whatever thought came to mind. I get that a lot of growth as a photographer is earned individually. Nobody can really tell me the right settings. It's something I'm supposed to discover on my own. I'm not sure what I'm really trying to ask here, but I think the main part of what frustrated me back then was how pictures just kept coming out blurry with my camera. It made me not like taking pictures of every day activity, and eventually, I ran out of cute, small, inanimate things to take pictures of in my house.

Maybe I'll post some of my pictures here once I get it uploaded to Flickr, but I'm an amateur in every sense of word.

nope, they bought it one year ago from Getty (3 times in 3 different sizes). So legit.
But here and there i find Companies / People etc. using my picture like on homepages, ads, etc. without my authorisation or even my knowledge. If one of the images is represented by getty or plain picture, i just inform them about the usage. They inform me, if they will pursue any action.

But there are some images, that are not available on both agency, so i try to get in touch with the responsible people myself. Sometimes it works out, sometimes (like companies) i get ignored etc. Specially on the Asian Market (i mean you, China). its really annoying to be honest...

If you don't mind me asking, how much can you make from Getty? Is it good side money? Too bad I'm not good enough to make money off of photography haha.

Any camera will work fine, you don't have to have a top of the line one or anything. There's no true wrong or right way to take a picture (though I suppose there might be with clients) since everything is based on how you want it to look in the end.

Whether you think you take good or bad shots, the only way to really improve is just go out and shoot. Going to help your friend out would be a great way to get some experience.

hEist

If you don't mind me asking, how much can you make from Getty? Is it good side money? Too bad I'm not good enough to make money off of photography haha.

2015 - $600 (december invoice still left)
2014 - $1100
2013 - $800
2012 - $1600

it really depends. i don't take so much dslr photos anymore and didn't "upgrade" my collection on getty since 2 years? also i don't take the "typical" stock photos, so it's rare that someone "buys/license" one of my 110 pictures there.

2014 - $1100
2013 - $800
2012 - $1600

it really depends. i don't take so much dslr photos anymore and didn't "upgrade" my collection on getty since 2 years? also i don't take the "typical" stock photos, so it's rare that someone "buys/license" one of my 110 pictures there.

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll give it a shot to see what happens.

Got some more uploaded:

Tradition by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

River of Light by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

% Arabica Kyoto by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Forgotten Steak by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Man Made Chasm by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Oh boy guys. There's an opening for a full time military photographer near my home town. AND, it's been removed and re-added, which is code for they are definitely still looking and haven't found anyone yet.
I'm going to apply so hard. I would love this.

Mr. Hyde

Well, I did my fun gel photoshoot on Sunday and this is my first edit from it. I've been busy so there hasn't been much time to dig through the 600 and something photos but there's a lot I really like and we experimented with a lot of different color combinations and some fun ones without color. Stay tuned for more once I get through them all.

Red/Blue by Tony F, on Flickr

Well, I did my fun gel photoshoot on Sunday and this is my first edit from it. I've been busy so there hasn't been much time to dig through the 600 and something photos but there's a lot I really like and we experimented with a lot of different color combinations and some fun ones without color. Stay tuned for more once I get through them all.

Heh, this reminds of that pivotal scene in Star Wars TFA with Kylo Ren and
"that guy"
lol.

The first thing I noticed when I saw that scene was this exact setup of lights... with red on Kylo and Blue on
"that guy"
before the
red
takes over the entire screen and you know stuff happens haha.

Gotta hand it to JJ and his cinematographer, that movie was beautifully shot.

Mr. Hyde

Heh, this reminds of that pivotal scene in Star Wars TFA with Kylo Ren and
"that guy"
lol.

The first thing I noticed when I saw that scene was this exact setup of lights... with red on Kylo and Blue on
"that guy"
before the
red
takes over the entire screen and you know stuff happens haha.

Gotta hand it to JJ and his cinematographer, that movie was beautifully shot.

Ohh yeah. I did like that scene. I loved the cinematography in that film and the fact he was inspired by Terrence Malick at times. Malick has always been one of my favorite directors since I was younger.

Fuser

Thanks for the tips on astro photography, still getting to grips with it. Every time I go out I learn a little more but still some way to go! Had the clearest night yet last night but it was so windy that it was tough to keep the tripod - and me - upright. Still running the 17-40 f/4 as my roki wide angle hasn't turned up yet. Should make a difference with that extra stop.

5C5A1101 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

What do you think about artificially lighting the scene for shots like this? Was done with a head torch so nothing scientific, not sure if it just looks fake or adds to the picture.

2014 - $1100
2013 - $800
2012 - $1600

How does one go about doing this? I could use the extra bread.

Pringles you're killing me...I can't get these shots in NYC!!! A guy at B&H tried to get me to buy a Tokina 2.8 11-16, but I have no idea what I'd do with it currently, it doesn't really fit into what I normally shoot.

This is great, I need a lighting kit.

FStop7

Banned
Has anyone else noticed a recent trend in "boudoir" shots being part of wedding photography packages?

I don't know, maybe the problem's mine, but it seems kind of... creepy?

Has anyone else noticed a recent trend in "boudoir" shots being part of wedding photography packages?

I think the idea is that they want something a little sexy for the couple to have. I know me and my GF do some homemade ones (though really I'm quite terrible at it), so I can see where it comes from.

And if they are comfortable having a stranger provide that then hey, works for them.

vern

Why is it creepy?

Because some people are more conservative I guess.. I think creepy is the wrong word. I would love if I ever get a serious gf or wife if she did something like that for me. Way better than a tie or wristwatch or some other junk.

Also nice pics... like a cocoon or something. Very interesting

Koriandrr

I think, from female perspective, women see that as their little 'Marie Antoinette' moment. Kind of like a princess, getting ready for her ceremony. It's a whole process of its own and it deserves to be photographed.

But I can see where you're coming from. Also really depends how many people would see those photos lol

hEist

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll give it a shot to see what happens.

no problem. happy to help. if you have a chance, try it.

How does one go about doing this? I could use the extra bread.

Got invited to Getty on Flickr back in 2011. Dunno if it's possible to join. You can, what i heard, apply somehow.

2 years ago, i got also invite to PlainPicture, a german Stock agency. Some staff member in the us, found some of my pictures and they got in touch with me here in germany.

@Pringeles: I hate you ,)

2nd week.

DD

I think, from female perspective, women see that as their little 'Marie Antoinette' moment. Kind of like a princess, getting ready for her ceremony. It's a whole process of its own and it deserves to be photographed.
That's an interesting perspective.

FStop7

Banned
Why is it creepy?

Creepy wasn't the right word, I think. I was having a hard time finding a word to describe my reaction. "Jarringly out of place" fits a bit more, I guess? My perception of wedding photos is that they're generally pretty saccharine and family friendly. You typically see photos of the bride, the groom, the wedding party, etc. Maybe it's that I also find it to be a little bit artificial, the outfits and poses are overdone. But to be 100% honest I feel the same way about popular wedding photography on the whole. I follow a few large photo labs on Instagram and they regularly publish photos from their clients, many of whom are professional wedding photographers. Half the time I can't tell the photographers apart. They're all the same style, usually mimicking one or two trendy photographers in the industry, like Jose Villa.

If you GIS "Richard Photo Lab" you'll see what I mean. The same washed out, pastel, pink-tinted look. The same poses, too. They're all shooting with Kodak Portra 160 or 400, overexposed by a stop, and asking for the "Jose Villa look" when the lab scans their film.

But I can see where you're coming from. Also really depends how many people would see those photos lol

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. I actually spent a lot of time thinking about whatever it is that hit a wrong note with me, and I think it's more a stylistic thing than the content itself. There's so much style chasing in photography, and commercial wedding photography seems to be the height of this.

Fuser

Light pollution from the near by town plus clouds that rolled in before I setup, didn't get what I wanted so stuck myself in front of the lens and put a torch into the sky. Every astro shot cliche there is except the tent lit in the foreground.
edit - reuploaded image
5C5A1129-2 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

Here's some old photos I took in high school. I just grabbed them from my Facebook, so the quality and resolution is not the best. I should probably find the original files, but I'm sure I lost them. First three are taken with a Nikon D5000. Last one was taken with a Canon Rebel XSi.

As you can see, I tend to favor photographing smaller objects because they seem easier to capture to me, haha.

Loci

Hey guys.
I wanna get some recommendations on buying a camera if you don't mind.

I will go abroad for a year starting in February and have basically never possessed a camera. Since I have no idea where to start I'm gonna ask here.

All I wanna do is take some nice pictures really. It doesn't have to be fancy or high end, I'm not gonna become a photographer over night.
My budget is tops 200€.
Just wondering if there is any go-to camera for amateurs who like to take a picture here and there.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hey guys.
I wanna get some recommendations on buying a camera if you don't mind.

I will go abroad for a year starting in February and have basically never possessed a camera. Since I have no idea where to start I'm gonna ask here.

All I wanna do is take some nice pictures really. It doesn't have to be fancy or high end, I'm not gonna become a photographer over night.
My budget is tops 200€.
Just wondering if there is any go-to camera for amateurs who like to take a picture here and there.
yo, we've got a camera equipment thread, where your question would be better suited.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165019

Fëanorian

Neo Member
You guys are gooooooooood.

So, my dad wants a new camera and wants either that new D500 or a D750. Most of the lenses we own are DX format, so I think it makes sense to stick with what he/we have already. Perhaphs make the jump to full frame?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Fëanorian;192297329 said:
You guys are gooooooooood.

So, my dad wants a new camera and wants either that new D500 or a D750. Most of the lenses we own are DX format, so I think it makes sense to stick with what he/we have already. Perhaphs make the jump to full frame?

again we have the camera equipment thread.

The very basics of that debate is the d500 is a "pro" level camera with pro features and the d750 is more consumer/enthusiast, the most glaring of which is better build quality.

I am a total camera noob. At a friend's recommendation I got a factory refurb nikon dr3300 with 18-55 lens for my trip to Iceland in March. I would really love to get lucky and score some good aurora pictures. Is the camera good enough, and what if any other equipment would I need that won't bankrupt me?

I am a total camera noob. At a friend's recommendation I got a factory refurb nikon dr3300 with 18-55 lens for my trip to Iceland in March. I would really love to get lucky and score some good aurora pictures. Is the camera good enough, and what if any other equipment would I need that won't bankrupt me?

Again, there's a camera equipment thread that can better help you.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom