• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend and I were walking around enjoying the weather this past weekend, and I snapped a photo (with my phone :/ ) of this crazy looking flower:

20160117_152731.jpg

snaffles

It has been over 100 here again the last few days so I have decided on indoor photography again.
24487960165_dd041f9673_c.jpg

My new lens is a 2.8 17-50 and I'm contemplating getting Sigma's 1.8 18-35 Art lens as my next lens as well instead of Nikon's 85, cause it'd be really narrow on my camera and I don't always have the space for that.

The Sigma 18-35 gets really good reviews but would be kind of redundant given the lens you just bought covers the exact same focal lengths.

My girlfriend and I were walking around enjoying the weather this past weekend, and I snapped a photo (with my phone :/ ) of this crazy looking flower:

20160117_152731.jpg

I think that is an orchid, looks really pretty.

The Sigma 18-35 gets really good reviews but would be kind of redundant given the lens you just bought covers the exact same focal lengths.
I don't think I'd be the first person to own both lenses. I already know my dad has both and uses both almost religiously. Granted I am still trying to figure out lenses though. I'll probably figure my next lens out after another few months of shooting. I'm tempted to get Nikon 24-85 F3.5-4.5 or whatever lens as my telephoto lens to replace my 18-105. I'm still contemplating the Nikon 1.8 85mm as well.

Mr. Hyde

A couple edits from my last photoshoot. I haven't shot much for the past week due to having so much to dig through. I try my best to refine my editing with each main edit, though. I am hoping to do a photoshoot or two this weekend. A friend of mine is trying to get more into voice acting and fashion blogging, so I am going to meet up with him and do some photos.

Celestial Dreaming by Tony F, on Flickr

Asleep In The Fire by Tony F, on Flickr

Shades of Elegance by Tony F, on Flickr

Well no, you'd be the second obviously :)
My only real problem is that I don't really shoot telephoto stuff. I find in my shoots I'm usually pretty close to my subject, unless my subject decides to be dumb and randomly moves far. It might be what I'm comfortable with since my lens really is just a prime and I'm usually pretty close cause of reach reasons. It's more intimate as well. I guess until it gets to the point where I need a wildlife 70-200 length I'm usually good with up close.
A couple edits from my last photoshoot. I haven't shot much for the past week due to having so much to dig through. I try my best to refine my editing with each main edit, though. I am hoping to do a photoshoot or two this weekend. A friend of mine is trying to get more into voice acting and fashion blogging, so I am going to meet up with him and do some photos.

Celestial Dreaming by Tony F, on Flickr

Shades of Elegance by Tony F, on Flickr
I love that second one, I even faved it on Flickr. I think in one of your pictures your model looked a bit bored. That's more of an observation than anything else. How'd you get the first shot like that?

snaffles

This photo reminds me of an 80s music videos from Bananarama. Looks great.

dhlt25

haven't posted in a long time. Some of my recent shots/edits

_DSC3523 by thai tran, on Flickr

_DSC3714 by thai tran, on Flickr

_DSC3470 by thai tran, on Flickr

_DSC3755 by thai tran, on Flickr

_DSC4247 by thai tran, on Flickr

_DSC4038 by thai tran, on Flickr

Untitled_Panorama1 by thai tran, on Flickr

Untitled_Panorama2 by thai tran, on Flickr

_DSC5368 by thai tran, on Flickr

not happy with my G4 pic quality since it's so inconsistent, can't wait until my coolpix A get here so I can bring it with me everywhere

2016-01-19 08.22.32 by thai tran, on Flickr

Definitely not the right place to put this but I figure I'd ask anyway: I just dropped my lens like a foot off the ground and I want to make sure everything is alright inside. It looks fine and the pictures seem normal, how am I to know if the glass inside was unaligned or some other problem? When looking through the viewfinder the view seems to fisheye near the edges of the screen, though its possible it was always like that*...

Take a look at this photo I took right after dropping it. If you look at the paralell lines going down, they seem to curve at the highest and lowest ends of the photo. Did I just fuck up my lens hardcore?

snaffles

Definitely not the right place to put this but I figure I'd ask anyway: I just dropped my lens like a foot off the ground and I want to make sure everything is alright inside. It looks fine and the pictures seem normal, how am I to know if the glass inside was unaligned or some other problem? When looking through the viewfinder the view seems to fisheye near the edges of the screen, though its possible it was always like that*...

Take a look at this photo I took right after dropping it. If you look at the parallel lines going down, they seem to curve at the highest and lowest ends of the photo. Did I just fuck up my lens hardcore?

It definitely looks distorted, but that may just be how it always looked. Wide angle lenses do tend to distort straight lines, especially close up. I'm not sure what focal length that lens is.

Number45

Take a look at this photo I took right after dropping it. If you look at the paralell lines going down, they seem to curve at the highest and lowest ends of the photo. Did I just fuck up my lens hardcore?
Do you use Lightroom? If you do and the lens has a supported profile in the software, lens correction SHOULD deal with that distortion at the corners - if it can't then it might be screwed. As has been said, the corners on pretty much all wide lenses will show distortion of some description.

Got to try the Sigma 18-35 yesterday from a friend of mine, so took a walk around the streets to take some pictures, im not a street photographer, but loved how this one looked !

VJxdhQs.jpg

Is there a way in LR to make new lens profiles? It's kind of annoying not having profiles for my 50mm FD lens, which is my most used lens by far.

EDIT: And then save it as a favorite? Because fuck going through that list every time.

Number45

Is there a way in LR to make new lens profiles? It's kind of annoying not having profiles for my 50mm FD lens, which is my most used lens by far.

EDIT: And then save it as a favorite? Because fuck going through that list every time.
Aren't the lens profiles pre-created based on LR testing with the actual lens itself? In theory you could make the necessary adjustments and save as a preset but I'm not sure you'd have access to everything that the lens profile covers.

vern

I had a few days in Malaysia last week... only Kuala Lumpur unfortunately. It was a super nice place and I really enjoyed relaxing there, but it wasn't a very dynamic or inspiring city for street photography. Especially not after Thailand and so many years in China. Here are the best shots I think I got.

Kuala Lumpur by Eric, on Flickr

Kind of a standard Petrona's Tower shot, but you have to shoot this building while there I guess:

And a reflection, flipped:

M52B28

Banned
Does anyone here think that it would be good to bother with VSCO for more consistent photo batches? I feel like it rubs me the wrong way, and that's mainly because it feel a bit too Instagram like to me.

What do you all think? Worth it?

Also, here is my first photo from a photography project I am working on. I made the logo myself, so, a bit of criticism would be appreciated on both fronts, thanks!

I feel like something is off in the photo, I think it may be the composition and the way it is lined up, though I am not sure.

90e368f95a2b8dd0df26548f01cee1dc

I had a few days in Malaysia last week... only Kuala Lumpur unfortunately. It was a super nice place and I really enjoyed relaxing there, but it wasn't a very dynamic or inspiring city for street photography. Especially not after Thailand and so many years in China. Here are the best shots I think I got.

Kind of a standard Petrona's Tower shot, but you have to shoot this building while there I guess:

And a reflection, flipped:

I like the flipped reflection shot the most.

hEist

Does anyone here think that it would be good to bother with VSCO for more consistent photo batches? I feel like it rubs me the wrong way, and that's mainly because it feel a bit too Instagram like to me.

What do you all think? Worth it?

Also, here is my first photo from a photography project I am working on. I made the logo myself, so, a bit of criticism would be appreciated on both fronts, thanks!

I feel like something is off in the photo, I think it may be the composition and the way it is lined up, though I am not sure.

opB2lrQ.jpg

dunno why, but the power pole (?) is kinda distracting me, so i removed it (fast and dirty).
if you got the chance (if it's your car) to take the picture again, i would try to take one later that day, when the sun is not so high. i'm not a fan of hard light :/

M52B28

Banned
dunno why, but the power pole (?) is kinda distracting me, so i removed it (fast and dirty).
if you got the chance (if it's your car) to take the picture again, i would try to take one later that day, when the sun is not so high. i'm not a fan of hard light :/
I appreciate the advice.

I love this image, and I took time to think about using it as a cover photo. The trees and the light post that you mentioned were considered lightly by me, but I just decided to leave it alone. Now that you did the edit, I feel like it would be beneficial to go ahead and take the light post out due to it conflicting with the type.

Also, this isn't my car. I did mini shoot after a car show with someone I met, and I forgot to get their contact information. A friend of mine also mentioned that softer light would help, but that was the condition and timing I was offered that day.

Thanks 👍

Also, I think if I were to take out the trees, the background would take a lot of attention from the average viewer. I feel like the trees bring in the composition a bit. I'm a bit torn.

It definitely looks distorted, but that may just be how it always looked. Wide angle lenses do tend to distort straight lines, especially close up. I'm not sure what focal length that lens is.

Do you use Lightroom? If you do and the lens has a supported profile in the software, lens correction SHOULD deal with that distortion at the corners - if it can't then it might be screwed. As has been said, the corners on pretty much all wide lenses will show distortion of some description.

Thanks guys. It's a kit canon lens, 18-55mm. A friend of mine said the same thing, that since I was zoomed out all the way, that the distortion is normal and that software would fix it.

hEist

I appreciate the advice.

I love this image, and I took time to think about using it as a cover photo. The trees and the light post that you mentioned were considered lightly by me, but I just decided to leave it alone. Now that you did the edit, I feel like it would be beneficial to go ahead and take the light post out due to it conflicting with the type.

Also, this isn't my car. I did mini shoot after a car show with someone I met, and I forgot to get their contact information. A friend of mine also mentioned that softer light would help, but that was the condition and timing I was offered that day.

Thanks ��

Also, I think if I were to take out the trees, the background would take a lot of attention from the average viewer. I feel like the trees bring in the composition a bit. I'm a bit torn.

no problem, i'm happy to help a bit.

and yeah, i could also tell some stories about not good conditions at the last weddings, i do understand :) the trees are totally fine to be honest, it was just the light post that kinda distracted me. maybe you should try to make the sky a little bit more blue, so the text is more visible.

3rd week.

I edited this photo in lightroom to show you the difference when you straighten it up, hope you don't mind. You can see that the light post in your original image looks like it is leaning over. Let me know if you want me to take down the image I edited.
Thanks and don't worry about it, reminded me to do the same as well cause I think I forgot to because I completely forgot where that was after you apply the specific lens profile.

90e368f95a2b8dd0df26548f01cee1dc

For the logo, play around with a drop shadow or the font itself. Thin fonts are super cool looking, but only if you can actually clearly see/read them... otherwise I don't see the point of having a cool logo if you can't see it. A drop shadow might be too cheesy, but maybe another point or two on the font size and it'll be good... but of course play around to your taste.

As for the composition, besides the pole... I think it's pretty alright.

But me personally though, I would've had the front of the car facing the camera instead of the rear. As much as I love E30 M3's, the rear end, to me at least, just looks like a plain jane E30. Now I could see that being the point of this shot, but if I was to have a glorious E30 M3 in a picture, I'd make sure that I'd show that iconic kidney grille. I feel like that would attract more attention instead than having something simple like this.

vern

I've been in Nepal now for 2 days, walked around a bit in between some meetings and took some snaps (more on that later). Pics first:

Kathmandu by Eric, on Flickr

So yeah, I mentioned once before I'm coming for a photo project. I'm here to document the production of the first western opera to be performed in Nepal. It's unpaid, but they liked my work and asked me to come and do it and I jumped at the chance... Currently they are doing pre-production work, finding local artists, artisans, singers, etc., hoping to make an impact and bring culture and arts to Nepal in the aftermath of the quake as well as to promote the country for tourism again. That's why I said I was in meetings a bit the past two days, the real meat and potatoes of the photo project will take place in September when the performance is actually going on.

It's been over half a year since the second quake and they are still hurting pretty bad. There is a huge tent city here in Kathmandu and I'm guessing many other people still without homes in much of the country. There are also issues with electricity and gasoline and most other things we take for granted.

So umm yeah, not sure where I'm going with this, except, does anyone have any experience raising money for photo projects or getting grants or advice on crowdfunding? I hate asking for money but it's something you gotta do sometimes I guess. I'll throw a link up here to my indiegogo so you can see more about the project, I promise it's the last time I link it in here! Even more than fellow photo-GAF money I would love advice on where to share it (already tried a few reddits, hometown newspaper, opera blogs, no luck there) or how to raise money. Thanks for friendly advice guys, hope you enjoy pics from Nepal during the next few weeks.

Link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nepal-opera-people-and-aftershocks-a-photobook#/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom