• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
I just spent half an hour reading up on who that is, was this at an event of some kind or did you just run into him somewhere? Seems like he would be an interesting bloke.

It was an event that he organized. The 6th street bridge is about to be demolished and he asked for people to bring their cars out for a farewell meet.

snaffles

Photo from the garden this morning, I didn't quite have the aperture stopped down enough to have both rows of the water droplets in focus unfortunately. I still like the photo though.
Yukka!

It was an event that he organized. The 6th street bridge is about to be demolished and he asked for people to bring their cars out for a farewell meet.

Did you get to take any cool car photos as well then? Seems like he has an amazing collection.

Fuser

Tried to get a shot under moonlight last night. It's not the best shot ever by any means but it was my first shot under a full moon. Had intended to get a star trail for an hour but I was knackered...and the tide was coming in, so I just got this one (just before midnight) and walked on by.

Now I just need a damn moonless, cloudless night.
I started astrophotography only a few weeks ago and it's already one of the most frustrating forms of photography out there! What with work and other commitments, the weather, the moon, the wind...getting the ideal conditions is so difficult. That's why last night's shot happened, I would have rather get a deep sky shot but with only a couple of chances a week I still had to get out and do something.

5C5A1191 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

Tried to get a shot under moonlight last night. It's not the best shot ever by any means but it was my first shot under a full moon. Had intended to get a star trail for an hour but I was knackered...and the tide was coming in, so I just got this one (just before midnight) and walked on by.

I started astrophotography only a few weeks ago and it's already one of the most frustrating forms of photography out there! What with work and other commitments, the weather, the moon, the wind...getting the ideal conditions is so difficult. That's why last night's shot happened, I would have rather get a deep sky shot but with only a couple of chances a week I still had to get out and do something.

5C5A1191 by Pete Johns, on Flickr
Oh don't worry, I know haha. That being said, if you can *see* the stars, you can at least practice. The shot I posted was with a full moon and clouds, and while it isn't stellar (hurr hurr), it's certainly good practice, especially for working with crap in Lightroom.
Had you seen the photo pre-Lightroom, you'd have thought I photographed a few snowflakes in a fog or some shit, but in my photo the stars come out pretty well.

Untitled by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

An exercise in using guard rails and lens caps as in-situ tripods for long exposure photography. Unfortunately bridges tend to vibrate more often then not leading to some softness. I still like these though.

EDIT: I should also probably get better at consistency across edits. I tend to view each image as an independent thing, but when I upload them together the variation bugs me.

squarerootofpie

Neo Member
Recently started experimenting with glitching through code and other various forms. Really fun, and kind of exciting seeing my photos take a new life. It just takes so damn long to get the right results!

vern

I like these, especially the little girl. I might like the first one cause of all the little gross details you can see on her, snotty nose. The third one has nice colors on her. I see you're back to the 24-70.

Thanks dude. That girl was so cute, all the snot and shit was adorable. I went out with the 24-70 for a day hoping to get a different feel for the photos. Still love that lens, forgot how much I like it.

Thanks dude. That girl was so cute, all the snot and shit was adorable. I went out with the 24-70 for a day hoping to get a different feel for the photos. Still love that lens, forgot how much I like it.
I might have to fuck around and do some autofocus tuning with my Sigma, I'm not sure to be honest. Sometimes it's right, others not so. My biggest issue is that the focus dot is like seriously not in the center. I'd kill for a really good 24.70 lens. Even if I got one It'd be a 36-105 on my camera.

8TB6thr.jpg

x3ZnS5u.jpg

nS3b39c.jpg

22C3mC5.jpg

urQTLxN.jpg

These are all videoframes =)

pringles

Nice, looks fantastic there!

Went out for the sunset tonight but the fog came in a little thick. Plan B - head for trees and hope for something atmospheric!
Gorgeous shot, definitely athmospheric.

And it's not always that fantastic here, but lately the photography conditions have been amazing. A thick frost covering everything, makes things look kinda surreal at times. That and the northern lights have been making up for the temperature constantly being between -20C and -40C the last weeks.

From today:

These are all videoframes =)
Still frames from a live action Dark Souls movie?

Fantastic mood in those pictures.

Mr. Hyde

My only real problem is that I don't really shoot telephoto stuff. I find in my shoots I'm usually pretty close to my subject, unless my subject decides to be dumb and randomly moves far. It might be what I'm comfortable with since my lens really is just a prime and I'm usually pretty close cause of reach reasons. It's more intimate as well. I guess until it gets to the point where I need a wildlife 70-200 length I'm usually good with up close.

I love that second one, I even faved it on Flickr. I think in one of your pictures your model looked a bit bored. That's more of an observation than anything else. How'd you get the first shot like that?

It might have been one of the photos after hours of the shoot. We played around for five hours or more until the point we were all exhausted.

The lighting on that shot was done by having a gel in one of my softboxes at a 45 degree angle and the other on the ground shooting up at the backdrop. They were both on a pretty powerful setting and zoomed in a bit so they made a crazy spread of color. I altered it a lot in lightroom using tint and temperature colors plus all the color sliders.

Mr. Hyde

This photo reminds me of an 80s music videos from Bananarama. Looks great.

Thanks! I have been spending more time studying color theory and hope to incorporate that into upcoming shoots to expand on the stuff I've been doing. I love the 80s and stuff like Blade Runner so expect some neon lighting meets noir style in the near future.

I seriously need to learn some more post processing.

LOVE IT! Love the mood, the greyness of it, the fact you shot the trees in the reflection!
My new wallpaper.

So! Where's the video? :D

That's some fantastic post-process right there.
Amazing.

Muito bom :)

Great work.

Gorgeous shot, definitely athmospheric.

And it's not always that fantastic here, but lately the photography conditions have been amazing. A thick frost covering everything, makes things look kinda surreal at times. That and the northern lights have been making up for the temperature constantly being between -20C and -40C the last weeks.

From today:

Still frames from a live action Dark Souls movie?

Fantastic mood in those pictures.

I love this style of post processing. Nicely done!

Thank you all :D Wasnt expecting such a great response :D

The video will come out soon, as soon as its done, ill share with you guys.

I wish I was filming some Dark Souls theme shortfilm, if I could find the props for it, i'd def. do it !

I can post tomorrow exacly my full settings to grade these, its actually quite simple !

Mr. Hyde

Reaching For A Galaxy by Tony F, on Flickr

A quick shot I did about thirty minutes ago while waiting for a client to arrive for a photoshoot.

I bought this bulb yesterday to utilize in an upcoming conceptual shoot for an apparel company a friend owns, so I decided to test it out in an idea I had floating around in my mind. It only took three shots and about ten minutes of editing to get it to a point I loved. I hope something similar happens when I do the actual shoot on Thursday.

Got my Nikon 28mm f/3.5 prime in the mail today, some test shots from earlier:

I like how you can see my squatting in the reflection on my Miata haha.

And the lens in question:

Gonna be shooting more test shots tomorrow at the office so I'll be posting them too.

Mr. Hyde

A Secret. by Tony F, on Flickr

The first edit from the conceptual photos for my friend's apparel company "Secret Society Goods". I did a few more spookier ones and I am working on design ideas for some more to hopefully shoot on Monday. This one was a self portrait and has given me an idea for future images/transitioning throughout this year.

Dat Vaudeville stache. And now to be serious, the concept would make a great black and white with the filament in the light bulb adding a nice element to the picture.

Mr. Hyde

Dat Vaudeville stache. And now to be serious, the concept would make a great black and white with the filament in the light bulb adding a nice element to the picture.

I will try doing that! I have a few more similar photos to play with. And yeah, I have grown to love having that mustache. I am starting to dress myself around that mustache. I need to add more vests to my wardrobe. I just did a few black and white images from a modeling session I did for someone and a couple turned out better than I expected. I will post soon.

Koriandrr

guys what websites do you use for portfolio?
I was looking at the adobe myportfolio.com which is alright, althought I hate how it displays all photos in a line one by one and that's $9.99/month
Then I looked at carbonmade, which has some AMAZING designs, absolutely love it, but to have your own logo and cool options and loads of images, it's $12.99/month.

I ended up using tumblr for mine, for now, as it's free and has awesome photo display options, but it's still lacking as a website. It's essentially just a gallery with limited options.

That'd be interesting. Your shots were great!

Thank you :D

Had a busy week, but heres my settings to achieve that look :

The lut used was Sunderland from the Deluts pack. Intensity at 57,4, Saturation at 87 and Fade at 30,6. The trick with Luts is playing around with the curves, so heres a screenshot of how my curve is :

4QTfQTg.jpg

With these settings (these come from Premiere), you should be able to get similar results, although it will depend a lot on the raw file you have.

If you guys have any question just ask :D

Now, 2 more pictures for the bunch =)

xQClGny.jpg

Kap9kEp.jpg

I really wish I zoomed out more during this shot, but I still like it:
DSC_8654 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_8685 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_8622 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
I'm pretty sure people are tired of these, but I do it for practice since I usually try to do something differently as well as seeing what this Sigma lens can and can't do. I did most if not all of these in Manual, which was the first time I did shots of people I had no prep time for in manual. Besides I find it fun, not much I can really take pictures of right now any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom