• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
8TB6thr.jpg

x3ZnS5u.jpg

nS3b39c.jpg

22C3mC5.jpg

urQTLxN.jpg

These are all videoframes =)
Amazing. Any tips for post processing?

snaffles

I'm pretty sure people are tired of these, but I do it for practice since I usually try to do something differently as well as seeing what this Sigma lens can and can't do. I did most if not all of these in Manual, which was the first time I did shots of people I had no prep time for in manual. Besides I find it fun, not much I can really take pictures of right now any way.

Don't you live in New York? Surely you can't be short of things to take photos of.

Don't you live in New York? Surely you can't be short of things to take photos of.
Yes, but I also live in Long Island technically and can't take pics of jack without lights. Area is at least lighted decently and it's close to my job. If it makes you happy I'll take pictures of Central Park at night and hope I don't get mugged in the process.

snaffles

Yes, but I also live in Long Island technically and can't take pics of jack without lights. Area is at least lighted decently and it's close to my job. If it makes you happy I'll take pictures of Central Park at night and hope I don't get mugged in the process.

I don't particularly mind what you take photos of, it was more just in response to your comment about not having much to take pictures of right now. Also from that last upload you did I think the group shot you got of the ladies taking the selfie with the kid is the most interesting of the lot.

I don't particularly mind what you take photos of, it was more just in response to your comment about not having much to take pictures of right now. Also from that last upload you did I think the group shot you got of the ladies taking the selfie with the kid is the most interesting of the lot.
I honestly just thought people got tired of me shooting the same stuff. I don't mind it cause A) it's fun and has an air of challenge to it and B) it's convenient, I don't have to take a train to get there and miss a train or two getting home. I should go somewhere else at some point, but it just requires more of an after work time commitment so that's just me being time conservative and lazy I guess, that and it's cold. I'm not really in the mood to get lost in Central Park in 30 degree weather (a complaint completely lost on Pringles) or get home too late cause I usually have work the next day. Lately I've also been getting screwed out of my early release Friday's. I put in the time I have at the very least. Thank for letting me know I actually have a good shot in that upload. I should actually go back into Lightroom and see if I can touch up another shot or two that are sort of similar but at a different angle.

I honestly just thought people got tired of me shooting the same stuff. I don't mind it cause A) it's fun and has an air of challenge to it and B) it's convenient, I don't have to take a train to get there and miss a train or two getting home. I should go somewhere else at some point, but it just requires more of an after work time commitment so that's just me being time conservative and lazy I guess, that and it's cold. I'm not really in the mood to get lost in Central Park in 30 degree weather (a complaint completely long on Pringles) or get home too late cause I usually have work the next day. Lately I've also been getting screwed out of my early release Friday's. I put in the time I have at the very least. Thank for letting me know I actually have a good shot in that upload. I should actually go back into Lightroom and see if I can touch up another shot or two that are sort of similar but at a different angle.

You have a specialty, nothing wrong with that.

To be honest, I should really get back to some Macro photos, those are the closest thing to a "specialty" that I have. That and astro photos, but those are hard to find good times for.

EDIT: Yeah, in fact I think tomorrow I'm going to take a shit ton of macro photos. Get in real close, get some bugs and shit.

You have a specialty, nothing wrong with that.

To be honest, I should really get back to some Macro photos, those are the closest thing to a "specialty" that I have. That and astro photos, but those are hard to find good times for.

EDIT: Yeah, in fact I think tomorrow I'm going to take a shit ton of macro photos. Get in real close, get some bugs and shit.
I have noticed that people on here specialize in something. Vern and I are probably the most active when it comes to random street photography on here.

I have noticed that people on here specialize in something. Vern and I are probably the most active when it comes to random street photography on here.
Yeah like, I can't do street or landscape photography for shit. I try, but I fail haha. I just can't seem to make the unremarkable, remarkable.
So I can only take photos of things really small, or reeeaaaaallllyyy big haha.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
guys what websites do you use for portfolio?
I was looking at the adobe myportfolio.com which is alright, althought I hate how it displays all photos in a line one by one and that's $9.99/month
Then I looked at carbonmade, which has some AMAZING designs, absolutely love it, but to have your own logo and cool options and loads of images, it's $12.99/month.

I ended up using tumblr for mine, for now, as it's free and has awesome photo display options, but it's still lacking as a website. It's essentially just a gallery with limited options.

I use Zenfolio. It costs money though. They offer a free 2 week trial.

This is a photo thread, just post whatever you want to post or whatever you're shooting, it's all good.
Ok, yeah I guess that was me during one of my "too hard on myself" moments.
Yeah like, I can't do street or landscape photography for shit. I try, but I fail haha. I just can't seem to make the unremarkable, remarkable.
So I can only take photos of things really small, or reeeaaaaallllyyy big haha.
Sometimes I get too caught up in what everybody else does that I fail to realize what I do as well, I'm pretty sure it's happened to everybody on here starting out.

Koriandrr

I JUST GOT MY FIRST GIG JOB ._.

Sorry guys, I thought you can share my joy of getting my first press pass for a concert as a photographer. I am SO happy. But also kind of freaking out. I haven't bought that wide lens I wanted yet and the photographer's space is SUPER CLOSE to the stage. I've got Olympus Micro 4/3 and a 25mm (50mm dslr equivalent) f/1.8 to work with or my tele/macro 40-150mm... FREAKING OUT. Also no idea if I'll have the space or opportunity to change my lenses during the show...

Any tips are welcome!

snaffles

Sorry guys, I thought you can share my joy of getting my first press pass for a concert as a photographer. I am SO happy. But also kind of freaking out. I haven't bought that wide lens I wanted yet and the photographer's space is SUPER CLOSE to the stage. I've got Olympus Micro 4/3 and a 25mm (50mm dslr equivalent) f/1.8 to work with or my tele/macro 40-150mm... FREAKING OUT. Also no idea if I'll have the space or opportunity to change my lenses during the show...

Any tips are welcome!

Can you borrow a second body from someone to save you having to swap lenses?

Feeling dumb here, but is there a way to get a BBC code off the Flickr app? I see the share options, but all I see are "copy URL", and then a bunch of app specific choices.

Any tips are welcome!

Congrats!

It's been a while since I did concerts but IIRC you don't really need a wide angle lens unless you absolutely must capture the band up close and center. I didn't have any of my fancy lenses back then so I only bought the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my D3200(broke college student lol). What I ended up doing was step out of the photographer area to get a wider shot.

As for tips, make friends! Don't be that guy that just walks around, snap pics then go hide somewhere in a corner. A majority of the photographers at the concert are pros and who knows where it can lead up if you connect to them.

If you have some kind of affiliation to media, then find the contact info for the bands and try to connect with them. I managed to grab an interview with Mutemath a few years ago when they came to Dallas. Granted I was working for college radio and we had a list of contacts to connect with them so it was a piece of cake to get in touch, but it's worth a shot.

Finally, if you have other contacts in the media and you know they're there, don't hesitate to hit them up and meet up at the event. At that same concert that Mutemath played, I randomly ran into one of my buddies working for one of the biggest radio stations around and he basically "upgraded" my media pass and I ended up hanging out backstage instead of sticking at the photog area.

But overall, just have fun. I know it's a job and all, but you don't really have to take it seriously. Snap some pics early on in the set to fill your quota then just sit back and enjoy the music.

Koriandrr

Can you borrow a second body from someone to save you having to swap lenses?

Nope :(
Could only hire it for a day, but considering I'm doing this as a volunteer at this point, really not worth it.

Congrats!

It's been a while since I did concerts but IIRC you don't really need a wide angle lens unless you absolutely must capture the band up close and center. I didn't have any of my fancy lenses back then so I only bought the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my D3200(broke college student lol). What I ended up doing was step out of the photographer area to get a wider shot.

As for tips, make friends! Don't be that guy that just walks around, snap pics then go hide somewhere in a corner. A majority of the photographers at the concert are pros and who knows where it can lead up if you connect to them.

If you have some kind of affiliation to media, then find the contact info for the bands and try to connect with them. I managed to grab an interview with Mutemath a few years ago when they came to Dallas. Granted I was working for college radio and we had a list of contacts to connect with them so it was a piece of cake to get in touch, but it's worth a shot.

Finally, if you have other contacts in the media and you know they're there, don't hesitate to hit them up and meet up at the event. At that same concert that Mutemath played, I randomly ran into one of my buddies working for one of the biggest radio stations around and he basically "upgraded" my media pass and I ended up hanging out backstage instead of sticking at the photog area.

But overall, just have fun. I know it's a job and all, but you don't really have to take it seriously. Snap some pics early on in the set to fill your quota then just sit back and enjoy the music.

Thank you so much for this! Made me feel a lot better. :)
I don't know absolutely ANYONE. Like no one. Haha. But I'll try to get business cards ready for then. I am generally pretty good at networking, but I'm super nervous about it. Is there like an area where people network and talk? I just imagined it's pretty much in front of the stage and you kind of get IN THE ZONE become one with the music and have a blast lol

vern

Still in Nepal, left Kathmandu for a trek around the Himalayan foothills for about a week. The air sucked, was hazy and smoky and dusty most of the time. At the summits it cleared up a bit but still... we were supposedly able to see Everest and a few other peaks if the air was clear enough. Never was. Anyway:

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Also a few others from Kathmandu:

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Nepal by Eric, on Flickr

Sorry if it's too much! Taken so many damn photos my finger is getting sore haha.

Any tips are welcome!

Not sure what type of show you're shooting... but don't be a stage potato! People are there to see the band, and not you trying to get your shot. Find your spots and get in and get out. If there is a pit for photographers, this won't matter as much, but if you're on stage at any time be mindful of the fact that there are people on all side of the stage and you could be blocking someones view.

Koriandrr

Not sure what type of show you're shooting... but don't be a stage potato! People are there to see the band, and not you trying to get your shot. Find your spots and get in and get out. If there is a pit for photographers, this won't matter as much, but if you're on stage at any time be mindful of the fact that there are people on all side of the stage and you could be blocking someones view.

Oh great tip - thank you!
It's a TesseracT gig and the venue is actually perfect for shots, as it has balconies too, which I plan on using. But there is a tiny space in front of the stage for photographers. Definitely will move around, as I'd like to use my tele lens too.

Had a really quick shoot in downtown Dallas this afternoon, and when I say really quick, I mean it. I only got two pics out of it, the rest is all video for work. But anyway, this is the view out of my co-workers apartment:

RuGalz

Shooting in monochrome (versus conversions) has completely changed the way I look at things. Without being able to color I have to focus on shape, texture, DOF, and gradients. I'm taking less photos of people and more of objects.

Nice, I seriously need to go through that exercise myself.

I like this picture.

Thanks! That one was *actually* kind of accidental and half-assed, but it ended up turning out great so I said screw it and kept it.

But yeah, very pleased with the sky tracking mount, can't wait till it's warmer and I can stand to be out longer and set it up *properly*.

Thanks! That one was *actually* kind of accidental and half-assed, but it ended up turning out great so I said screw it and kept it.

But yeah, very pleased with the sky tracking mount, can't wait till it's warmer and I can stand to be out longer and set it up *properly*.
Yeah it looks like it could be an alt rock album cover.

snaffles

Went to the wetlands this morning, really having to work hard with this setup I have to get decent shots, think I will end up getting a DSLR again and just keep the micro 4/3 to use when the smaller camera is more practical.

snaffles

What's the issue you're having with the Olympus?

The auto focus is just not good enough, the tracking is terrible. The lens selection is getting better, but they just aren't very good value really compared to the canikon equivalents. I am sure that if I upgraded the body to an EM1 and spent money on pro lenses I would see improvements with the autofocus etc but then it is barely any smaller than a dslr if at all anyway. Having battery life in excess of 900 shots on a DSLR compared to the three hundred or so I get from my mirrorless is a big consideration too.

Koriandrr

The auto focus is just not good enough, the tracking is terrible. The lens selection is getting better, but they just aren't very good value really compared to the canikon equivalents. I am sure that if I upgraded the body to an EM1 and spent money on pro lenses I would see improvements with the autofocus etc but then it is barely any smaller than a dslr if at all anyway. Having battery life in excess of 900 shots on a DSLR compared to the three hundred or so I get from my mirrorless is a big consideration too.

I moved from a canon to Olmpus E-M10 and have never experienced this problem, in fact I love it and would recommend mirrorless to anyone. I will, however, upgrade to E-M1 when money allows.

Funny enough I've been thinking about getting a mirrorless as either a secondary camera for street photography or just as a spare, but I was like "nope" when I saw the selection and prices for lens. It was going to be either an NEX 6 or A6000 if I found one cheap enough, but I just can't justify that cost getting into another lens ecosystem.

snaffles

I moved from a canon to Olmpus E-M10 and have never experienced this problem, in fact I love it and would recommend mirrorless to anyone. I will, however, upgrade to E-M1 when money allows.

Do you do much wildlife/bird photography? My E-PL5 has been fantastic but it sucks for this one specific purpose. I am happy with it for everything else.

Koriandrr

Do you do much wildlife/bird photography? My E-PL5 has been fantastic but it sucks for this one specific purpose. I am happy with it for everything else.

Not at all. I've used it for a bunch of squirrels in the park just once, that's as far as I've gone into nature lol.

I use it mostly for cosplay/fashion photography. About to test it out on live concerts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom