• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Hyde

Do you guys edit the photos after? I've tried many times to edit my shots. But i just don't know what to do with them, I'm so lost when it comes to editing. Can you guys share some tips?

Also if these shots are not edited then holy mother of god, you guys have the greatest eyes for taking photos.

I shoot in raw and keep my white balance on auto. Note: that is the only option I keep on auto. I shoot in either manual or aperture priority. Afterwards, I edit the temperature and tint to my liking in light room before doing any other adjustments to photos.

DD

Nice pics, and welcome, Fuser! Now tell me...

Hi all, this is my first post on NeoGaf but I've been lurking for about ten years now so thought I had better sign up!

I've been out a few times this year but the weather hasn't been too kind, so I'll post a few from the past two months of 2015 if that's OK. Around October 2015 I suddenly felt inspired for photography again following a very long break, I bought myself the 5Diii (yep, another one on flickr!) and have been getting out as much as possible since.

5C5A0279 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0763 by Pete Johns, on Flickr
5C5A0169 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0154 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

...where is this gorgeous place? Scotland?

Fuser

Nice pics, and welcome, Fuser! Now tell me...

...where is this gorgeous place? Scotland?
Thanks :) The three rainy darker shots are Isle of skye (Scotland), the brighter sunrise shot with the big rock is from Dartmoor, south of England where I live.

Skye is the most amazing place to visit, some of the locations blew my mind and although the weather was awful I loved every minute.

Monooboe

I need to become a member of PhotoGAF! Great to see other photographers here. I will try and post some stuff here but haven't been able to shoot in a long while, since I'm kind of without a camera at the moment. (what is a photographer without a camera?)

DD

Fim de Tarde 2
by Daniel Dantas Sardi, no Flickr

Yep, I can't imagine being in that line.

Glad that I wrote that just for the sake of fiction
need to finish my novel >.>

Thanks :) The three rainy darker shots are Isle of skye (Scotland), the brighter sunrise shot with the big rock is from Dartmoor, south of England where I live.

Skye is the most amazing place to visit, some of the locations blew my mind and although the weather was awful I loved every minute.
It really does look amazing. And bad weather can set some good mood sometimes. I'll tell you that probably the most transcendental experience I had happened in 2009, when I visited the birthplace of my father, with a bad weather.

First I have to tell you that I live here:

Fim de Tarde

It's a popular beach with tons of buildings around. And yep, it's fuckin' noisy.

Anyway, back in April of 2009, me, a cousin, my father and my godfather (uncle) went to a rural area in a neighbor city just for fun. Me and my cousin went to take a bath on a river while my father and uncle were at a "buteco" (some kind of dirty and cheaper Brazilian version of bar or saloon, very popular here, but kind of hard to explain) drinking some beer. We stayed there for a while, but then we decided to go to the place where my father (and probably my uncle too) was born. We got in the truck and started climbing a mountain. Up there (kind of halfway to the top, that was covered by a dense forest) there was this very small village, with probably just four of five houses, a church and a cemetery behind it, with the rest of the mountain behind it.

We got out of the truck, my father and my uncle went to look for their old childhood house, and there was this rotten old shed falling apart, but they were not sure if it was theirs. Anyway, the village was completely empty, with all doors and windows shut, and oh my God, the silence! I'm so used with the noises of the city that I almost felt like I was in another planet. No fuckin' one around. I heard that the people went to the town for a religious event, if I'm not mistaken. And there were some enormous trees casting shadows at the houses and the church, and we walked around the cemetery, looking to that dense forest above us, covering the top of the mountain, and to add to that eerie mood, there was a thunderstorm coming from behind the mountain. Soon it became dark, but so damn peaceful...

I'm not the spiritual kind, nor I was feeling anything because that was my father's birthplace (we don't get along so well, so...), but damn, nothing happened, but I guess that day will stick forever in my mind. I never felt such peace before or after that.

Anyway, I managed to take two pictures that probably fail to pass the scale of those trees (they were huge, specially the one above the church). The church is also big, despite the fact that it is located in such place, but it appears that there's this St. Benedict's festival every year for more than a hundred years, so...

Peace of Mind

Chill

vern

Hi all, this is my first post on NeoGaf but I've been lurking for about ten years now so thought I had better sign up!

Beautiful shots man, amazing place! And welcome!

More from Thailand...

First two pics, anyone have any thoughts? Crop or no crop? Color or BW? I really liked this photo and played around with it a lot, but not sure what to do with it ultimately.

Northern Thailand by Eric, on Flickr

And my cow portrait isn't quite as good as @ Futureman's...

First two pics, anyone have any thoughts? Crop or no crop? Color or BW? I really liked this photo and played around with it a lot, but not sure what to do with it ultimately.

I enjoy the first one better. I think if it was me, I would crop them more to be on the left side.

Wish I could've done more than a 30 second exposure on two of these shots, but I didn't have my triggers with me and holding the shutter was making the camera shake too much. It was my first shot at a long exposure for landscape.

Miyajima Island by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Window Shopper by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

The Great Torii by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Stalker by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Board game night at my place, 3200 ISO + the VSCO Kodak Gold 100 +++ filter = sweet "vintage film" looking shots:

Makes it sound like I've been doing it wrong for months. I just feel that auto tone brightens stuff up too much for my liking.

It definitely does, but that's why you adjust it to taste.

I feel like on darker shots it tends to brighten the image more, but in a perfectly lit shot, the adjustments are very minor in terms of the numbers, but it makes a big difference when you look at the picture.

Those shots above for example, all auto WB and Tone and they looked good to begin with... all that Kodak filter did was give it some vintage film looks.

Crop the opposite side of the man or woman. Which ever one doesn't matter imo, what's important is the negative space on either subject.

That said, those are some fantastic pics.

SE Asia is seriously one of the more beautiful places in the world.
.. then again I'm biased since I'm from the Philippines lol.

Whenever I auto tone a night shot it adds far too much noise. I adjust it slightly and work on the noise reduction and details. Granted it's a matter of being too underexposed from the onset, but at least whenever I do it myself I can at least decently save a shot.

vern

I enjoy the first one better. I think if it was me, I would crop them more to be on the left side.

Crop the opposite side of the man or woman. Which ever one doesn't matter imo, what's important is the negative space on either subject.

Thanks guys, I just cropped it and yeah I like them on the left side better as well... it gives the lady some room to look off into the dark side of photo and not seem like she's just looking outside of the image.

BTW, Rapid, great pics, love the 3rd one. And, Jong, like the grain, it looks cool. I don't understand Catan though haha.

MaXsPoT

^ Liking the lighthouse. Got a few more!

Kawaguchiko Station by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Tuna Time by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Mochi Maker by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Dreamer by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

I have a took a similar photo of the Kawaguchi-ko station :D
Too bad I was in a tour bus, I couldn't take a clear shot :(
-----

DSC00859 by Mohammed AlMahfoudh, on Flickr

さようなら、富士山 by Mohammed AlMahfoudh, on Flickr

Laieon

I noticed a mistake in the OP. One of my comments (that has no photos in it) is quoted in the "photos from last thread" section.

hEist

I've been out a few times this year but the weather hasn't been too kind, so I'll post a few from the past two months of 2015 if that's OK. Around October 2015 I suddenly felt inspired for photography again following a very long break, I bought myself the 5Diii (yep, another one on flickr!) and have been getting out as much as possible since.

well, f... me. i'm living on the wrong place on earth.
really great ones.

feels so real. really liking your "portraits". All feel so real and natural.

love this one!

vern

feels so real. really liking your "portraits". All feel so real and natural.

The people all over Thailand were super friendly and I was only turned down for a photo once when I asked. I think in small villages like this they are so used to posing for photos they are naturally aware of what to do for the camera. It made it really easy to just point and shoot and get something decent.

Futureman

Vern, you should take a portrait class if there are photography courses in your area. I just did one and loved it. I really enjoy your photos.

I would say NOT to crop that one you posted above of the baby on the woman's back... though I think that's mainly due to my philosophy where I rarely ever crop anything (at most very small corrections). I was taught to frame your photo in camera and only crop as a last resort. That sentiment may not be too popular but it's what I live by as a photographer.

Vern, you should take a portrait class if there are photography courses in your area. I just did one and loved it. I really enjoy your photos.

I would say NOT to crop that one you posted above of the baby on the woman's back... though I think that's mainly due to my philosophy where I rarely ever crop anything (at most very small corrections). I was taught to frame your photo in camera and only crop as a last resort. That sentiment may not be too popular but it's what I live by as a photographer.

I think that's silly. Good composition is good composition. It doesn't matter if it was done in camera or not. If you're printing, okay, you might be compromising the pixel density, but especially for sharing something online, the final product is all that really matters.

Cropping photos is a way to learn how to compose better, I'd argue.

Futureman

I think that's silly. Good composition is good composition. It doesn't matter if it was done in camera or not. If you're printing, okay, you might be compromising the pixel density, but especially for sharing something online, the final product is all that really matters.

Cropping photos is a way to learn how to compose better, I'd argue.

that's cool if that works for you, like I said it's my personal photographic philosophy, didn't say it's the only way. I'd argue it makes me more patient and aware if I'm really concentrating on getting the composition I want in camera. I personally think it makes ME a better photographer, so it's what I do. I think it's a little silly to call my method/process as a photographer silly... I guess if it came off like me saying that's how people should take photos it would be silly, but I promise I was not!

Futureman

anyways here's another moo cow...

highlanddos.jpg

here's the amount I cropped off this one just as an example. This is the most I cropped any photo on this series.

moocrop.jpg

I don't want to come off as preachy. Just throwing a different method out there. I personally think it's a good idea for a beginning photographer (it's how I was taught in a B&W darkroom class), but of course it won't be ideal for everyone. And... as I'm showing here I DO crop, I just like to keep it minimal. I wouldn't throw out a great image if I had to do a decent sized crop or anything.

that's cool if that works for you, like I said it's my personal photographic philosophy, didn't say it's the only way. I'd argue it makes me more patient and aware if I'm really concentrating on getting the composition I want in camera. I personally think it makes ME a better photographer, so it's what I do. I think it's a little silly to call my method/process as a photographer silly... I guess if it came off like me saying that's how people should take photos it would be silly, but I promise I was not!

Yeah, I think I read you as a little more preachy than you actually were. I think that anything you can do to reduce the amount of post-processing is probably for the best, but I don't think you should ignore a better end product for sticking to what you thought was best at the moment you took the shot.

Sometimes the moment you're trying to capture is fleeting and you have to make your decision in a split second. I don't advocate just taking pictures knowing that you'll fix them later, but you know. I hope that makes my post a little more clear. I didn't meant to come off like I was disparaging the way you take photos, you're clearly very good at it (a lot better than me).

5C5A0926 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0345 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0417 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0279 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0763 by Pete Johns, on Flickr
5C5A0169 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0154 by Pete Johns, on Flickr
These are fantastic. I love them!
--
Some shots from the last few days.
24299800375_db2259ba59_b.jpg

--
24217436411_f9ee8d62e1_b.jpg

24273519006_7cdeb5cf90_b.jpg

--
Lately I've been trying to force myself to use my phone's camera. I have this weird aversion to using it and I have missed so many shots in the last few years. Here's some pictures from my phone:
24298102515_734ffae651_b.jpg

24189909852_a4cd01c2db_b.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Hello photography GAF. I've asked one of my friends to model for a project I'm doing, but I've got very little experience with photography, much less shooting people. Any advice for helping the subject relax and act naturally?

Also, I won't have much control over lighting, and I've only got a small entry level camera (a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS, if that means anything to any of you.) I guess I'm looking for shotgun blast general advice, but any help is welcome.

Also, I intend to publish these photos, any resources for a consent/release form?

DD

Hello photography GAF. I've asked one of my friends to model for a project I'm doing, but I've got very little experience with photography, much less shooting people. Any advice for helping the subject relax and act naturally?

Also, I won't have much control over lighting, and I've only got a small entry level camera (a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS, if that means anything to any of you.) I guess I'm looking for shotgun blast general advice, but any help is welcome.

Also, I intend to publish these photos, any resources for a consent/release form?

In a camera like this, you can step back and use the zoom to get some sweet depht of field. But remember that with zoom, any shake will be shown in the pic as blur, specially if there's not much ambient light. So... steady hands or a tripod, or anything to keep the camera fixed.

And since you'll be dealing with natural light, the best hours to do that is early in the morning or late in the afternoon, because of the warmer light and not so hard and dark shadows.

Set the ISO as low as you can for a better IQ, if your camera gives you that.

It's actually a 10-shot panorama using a 24-70 lens at 34mm (ISO1600, f/2.8, 15s). Thanks!

I've often wondered how panoramas like this are done considering the changing nature of your scene due to long exposure times.

Like it takes me 20-25 second exposure to get the Milky Way to really pop. If I took 10 shots, it would seem like the scene would be different enough by the end, that it might make the stitching process difficult.

Are the Northern Lights static enough to allow that to happen easily enough?

vern

I actually almost never crop anything and most of if not all those photos I posted recently aren't cropped at all, I try to have good composition, though that's entirely subjective, I think I'm mostly ok but always have room to improve.

This shot was particularly tricky though as I had kind of wandered into a strangers home, it was super low light, had fixed focal length in a confined space, and I'm trying to engage them in simple English so they are comfortable with me and don't mind me pointing a camera at them while they are going about their life routine... Ideally it would be better composed but it wasn't lol. I think the people and the situation itself was interesting and still visually looks compelling, but needed work with cropping to make it more compelling.

I wish I was better in post in general. Still don't really know what I'm doing, so my goal is always to get it right in camera as much as possible.

Y'all always delivering the good ass shit in here.
These are my favorite.

Board game night at my place, 3200 ISO + the VSCO Kodak Gold 100 +++ filter = sweet "vintage film" looking shots:

It definitely does, but that's why you adjust it to taste.

I feel like on darker shots it tends to brighten the image more, but in a perfectly lit shot, the adjustments are very minor in terms of the numbers, but it makes a big difference when you look at the picture.

Those shots above for example, all auto WB and Tone and they looked good to begin with... all that Kodak filter did was give it some vintage film looks.

.. then again I'm biased since I'm from the Philippines lol.

Y'all always delivering the good ass shit in here.
These are my favorite.

Thanks!

And, Jong, like the grain, it looks cool. I don't understand Catan though haha.

Bahahaha, there's a reason why I was taking pictures instead of playing instead lol.

As for the grain, I kind of had a lightbulb moment earlier last week as I was going through some of the old ass film photos(and I mean late 80's old) that my mom has and I noticed that they were grainy as fnck but it looked good. That night was a good chance to test out the grain and the filters and I'm honestly impressed at how it turned out... I'm definitely gonna use it in future shoots.

Fuser

I've often wondered how panoramas like this are done considering the changing nature of your scene due to long exposure times.

Like it takes me 20-25 second exposure to get the Milky Way to really pop. If I took 10 shots, it would seem like the scene would be different enough by the end, that it might make the stitching process difficult.

Are the Northern Lights static enough to allow that to happen easily enough?

Also wondering the same, Doesn't take long for the stars to move so can't figure out how to line it all up! I'm going off to Iceland soon so need to work it out!

Just picked up a couple of new lenses:
Canon 17-40L 2.8 (previously borrowed)
Samyang\Rokinon 14mm 2.8
Should be ready for the stars now :)

DJ SLEV3N

Banned
Also wondering the same, Doesn't take long for the stars to move so can't figure out how to line it all up! I'm going off to Iceland soon so need to work it out!

Just picked up a couple of new lenses:
Canon 17-40L 2.8 (previously borrowed)
Samyang\Rokinon 14mm 2.8
Should be ready for the stars now :)

Love my Roki 14mm. I've had some pretty sweet long exposure shots with it.

23689475942_96ea674d73_b.jpg

hEist

Has anyone had any luck selling stock photos on any of the big sites?

selling here and there some photos on getty images and plainpicture (german agency).
like some book covers: (btw. both pictures taken by an iPhone)

or some small things, like yesterday i just found out that the image behind "timeline" in LG's Flow App is mine:

but often i don't really know, where my pictures are definitly used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom