• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

Great shots, do you do a lot of backpacking?

I'm trying to do more of it. I've equipped myself in a way to let myself do a lot more of it in the future, more easily on this last trip I did. I'll try to get out a few time in the next couple of months before it gets too cold, as work allows.

Ne0n

Banned
ello-optimized-6c68241d.jpg

ello-optimized-f96aef20.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I want Ne0n to work on a Blade Runner or similarly Future Noir-styled film.

Ne0n

Banned
Thanks for all the kid words people. I'm glad you like it, I'm a huge cyberpunk geek as you can imagine, nice to see people digging it. rarely get feedback from my work apart from facebook, just take photos i think are cool!

@DD, it's some post, it was for afriends clothing brand and he wanted a few to yeah, have some shit going on, weas just experimenting that wasn''t even used

For that first shot Jaded -- that's actually a pretty clever way to "thin" someone with wide angle. Most people would probably stay far away from wide angles for portraits, but that worked really well in that instance.

For that first shot Jaded -- that's actually a pretty clever way to "thin" someone with wide angle. Most people would probably stay far away from wide angles for portraits, but that worked really well in that instance.
Some do you wide angle for portraits, but you really have to get everything just right framing wise so you don't distort the subject. I like it a lot. I have I think a couple more at that focal length, but it's not done as well.

I've got a handful of wide angle portraits, and while they can be quite something, yeah, it's tough not to make them look like a blob.
Then again, 14mm is kinda towards the extreme...

I've got a handful of wide angle portraits, and while they can be quite something, yeah, it's tough not to make them look like a blob.
Then again, 14mm is kinda towards the extreme...
Yeah 14mm is probably far too wide for a portrait. I pretty much has to be an environment related portrait and just crop a bit I would assume.

Cheddahz

Banned
DHdYbCfVYAEDUjH.jpg

view from inside the coffee fox (ello) (flickr)

Have you tried to mess with color noise reduction? I like the subject/framing either way.

Just a quick and dirty example:
f6SaUez.png

You know, I hadn't really ever been bothered by the color noise I get when I had the grain effect to my photos, but I messed around with reducing color noise in the photo above and I liked it without the color noise. Thank you for the suggestion!

I said it was hard!

And it's not the lens distortion, it's the perspective effect of it being a wide angle lens, and the different distances from the camera. The 14mm Samyang is notable for having very small amounts of distortion.

I said it was hard!

And it's not the lens distortion, it's the perspective effect of it being a wide angle lens, and the different distances from the camera. The 14mm Samyang is notable for having very small amounts of distortion.
The language in my post made it quite clear
I forgot what it was called.

Hm I wondered, but I interpreted what you were saying as it being too close to the edges, where barrel/pincushion distortion would occur. I thought it would be odd for you not to know lol
Granted I also did see a video with someone saying if you're doing wide angle portraits you should probably keep certain things more towards the middle so that the barrel distortion doesn't effect the face, this is even the case with group pictures. The perspective difference also has a lot to do with everything. It's definitely noticeable in this shot:
DSC_4001 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Granted I also did see a video with someone saying if you're doing wide angle portraits you should probably keep certain things more towards the middle so that the barrel distortion doesn't effect the face, this is even the case with group pictures. The perspective difference also has a lot to do with everything. It's definitely noticeable in this shot:
DSC_4001 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
But see, judging on your buildings in the background, it's well controlled for distortion -- the only unflattering effect here is that of the perspective, uh, distortion? I actually don't know the proper term, but you know what I mean.
But yeah, that's what makes wide angles hard. And awesome!

But see, judging on your buildings in the background, it's well controlled for distortion -- the only unflattering effect here is that of the perspective, uh, distortion? I actually don't know the proper term, but you know what I mean.
But yeah, that's what makes wide angles hard. And awesome!
See...now...there is a good chance that I cropped that into a 5x7, but it sounds like I did a good job controlling everything because the first time I tried a wide portrait I did badly.

Why is fucking around with color temp and tint becoming so much fun? I'm doing it a lot more often these days. I still leave it in auto white balance while shooting but during post I definitely mess around with it.

See...now...there is a good chance that I cropped that into a 5x7, but it sounds like I did a good job controlling everything because the first time I tried a wide portrait I did badly.

Wide angle portraits are something that needs to be a conscious choice, ultimately. It's easy to just say "Oh we need to do portraits, grab the 100mm", but wide angle needs to have a reason to be wide angle.

One that, while I fucked the photo up overall, but I think illustrates how wide angle can be used (for anyone getting ideas about using them) is this one:
20161106-20161106-DSC07387.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

Wide angle portraits are something that needs to be a conscious choice, ultimately. It's easy to just say "Oh we need to do portraits, grab the 100mm", but wide angle needs to have a reason to be wide angle.

One that, while I fucked the photo up overall, but I think illustrates how wide angle can be used (for anyone getting ideas about using them) is this one:
20161106-20161106-DSC07387.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Yeah I'd like to mess around with them more, but it's definitely something that you have to be comfortable with because you do have to get a bit creative with them.

IMG_3848-Pano by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

This is a panorama shot I fired as a casual experiment. These are the waterfalls of Sti Fadma in Morocco (High Atlas) as seen from the mountain opposite to them.
i didn't have a super wide angle with me (I don't have one period) so I couldn't make justice to them in one shot, and I decided to try a panorama shot. What I didn't know is the panorama tool in Lightroom is amazing, quick and effortless. I think I'll be doing this a lot more, for landscapes with an old 7D and a Sigma 17-50 I have something that with a few clicks provides results similar to a 5DS.

Edit: I think the processing is a bit shit, rocky landscape photography is alien to me. Give me advice please.

leder

Neo Member
Random shots around the city

DSCF7391 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF7266 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF5409 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF5405 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF5404 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF5402 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF5395 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF5379 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF5328 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF5256 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF5123 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF4887 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF4632 by David Freitas, on Flickr

DSCF4610 by David Freitas, on Flickr

vern

Some thoughts for you, since I also like street photography and am one of the few here that shoots similar stuff to what you do.. Do with them what you will.

Random shots around the city

DSCF7391 by David Freitas, on Flickr

I like this. Nothing amazing but with the sky, clouds, and building it's almost perfectly divided into thirds and it works pretty well.

These two don't really do anything for me. In the first one the power lines are ugly and you cut off the bottom of the ride anyway. Probably could have found better ways to shoot this ride if it was really something that fascinated you. As It is I'd just delete it.

For the second one, pictures of people in the street from behind to me show insecurity of the photographer and are generally quite boring. The only time I try to shoot people from behind is if there is something particularly interesting about their clothes or body features, or if they are doing something interesting. This girl is just walking. Actually I think the two old dudes sitting in the cut out on the far left would be great subjects to shoot. You should have gone and talked to them and asked to take their portrait sitting there against that cool patterned wall.

This one I can see what you are going for, with the symmetry and the crossing lines and the dark right side and white left side. A couple things that you can't really change since you are at the mercy of nature and the scene, but if that shadow could have split it perfectly down the middle for a half dark image and half light image it would have been cool in my opinion. Also if you could have waited for the people to even out instead of overloaded to one side, or maybe for their clothes to match the dark/light motif. Should also probably up the contrast here and make deeper blacks.

There is nothing here.

Again the background scene looks much more interesting with the bright colors and fascinating people. Go get close and talk to some people or shoot some real scenes of real life. A pole and some bokeh isn't worth looking at.

I'm guilty of taking way too many random photos of motorcycle riders out here in Asia. I always think it's gonna turn out interesting. 99.99% of the time they get deleted. Again, these two pictures probably aren't worth saving or looking at in my opinion.

I see what you are doing and I like it. If you had the time you probably could have waited until you had more interesting shoes/feet/legs... something. But it's ok how it is. I feel like the lines are ever so slightly crooked which is a little distracting, but you can easily fix that in Lightroom.

To me it's boring but some people like this kind of "moody" thing. Probably would look better in color.

I love light trails. But simply taking long exposures and getting some cool light trails doesn't make a great picture. In the first one the framing is bad, the sign on the left is cut off, the top of the lightpole is cut. If feels like the picture is way too heavy on the left side because the road is kind of sloping down that way and that one car was stationary... it feels like everything is being sucked in to the left side of the picture for me.

The second one I think is obviously framed a lot better. It's got near symmetry. It looks quite nice. I think it's too yellow in the road way/tunnel thing, but overall it's a much better photo than the first long exposure.

This i think is the best photo of the bunch. It is a standard skyline photo well executed. The color tones are great. The picture is well framed and balanced. I like it. Did you stay out all night or is this sunset? And what city is it?

Feels off balance, kind of like the car one before. Everything is on the right. Also it's a bit hard to separate the subject from the background (presuming you wanted the vendors to be the subject.

I like this shot too. Interested if you were on a building or a overpass or what? The perspective is unique.

Overall I'd say that my biggest problem with your photos, especially any with people, is that you seem to be keeping a distance from your subjects and it's a detriment to the final image. I feel like you are a bit timid perhaps, or maybe you like the detached feeling, for me it kind of makes the city feel lifeless and boring which I'm sure it isn't. I think your shots of the architecture and textures/patterns are more interesting. I feel like you have an idea of what you are trying to do with those, whereas the other shots I think you are just randomly shooting and hoping it works out. Also, be more selective of what you keep. Be critical.

I like this. What is it? Image is rotated?

@ Jaded

Put some spaces or something between your images, too hard to quote you.

I think photo 3 and 4 are nearly the same and were probably taken one after the other, but the color tones are quite different. Her skin is nowhere near the same color. I'd say when you deliver portraits to a client try to be consistent in the editing, especially within one scene/set of images.

I know that girl is not a model and trying to get random people to know how to pose is difficult... but keep working on learning how to pose people, especially people with "unconventional" body types. That last photo especially is super strange to me... barefoot in the woods next to a boulder with a bush coming out of her head and snapping her fingers? I don't know man...

The one just before the last one the light is great, her head is nearly completely turned away from the camera to the point where you can just barely see the tip of her nose. Bring it back a few notches and you probably would have had something good there. Maybe.

Hanging backstage at Taint Cabaret in Melbourne

Taint Cabaret by Bodie Strain, on Flickr

Mook man.. I don't know how you do it. Love everything you do. Your subjects have personality, the lighting is perfect, and the editing is on point too. Keep up the great work.

The first three and the last one are all excellent don't get me wrong, but the 4th one and 5th one you hit it out of the park. The look that lady is giving in the mirror is killer and the framing is perfect and must have been difficult considering what was I'm sure a crowded and hectic place, plus the lighting situation was difficult I'm sure. The 5th one again, amazing. The hairy man ass, the facial expression, the setting, the hello kitty...great job really.

@ Jaded

Put some spaces or something between your images, too hard to quote you.

I think photo 3 and 4 are nearly the same and were probably taken one after the other, but the color tones are quite different. Her skin is nowhere near the same color. I'd say when you deliver portraits to a client try to be consistent in the editing, especially within one scene/set of images.

I know that girl is not a model and trying to get random people to know how to pose is difficult... but keep working on learning how to pose people, especially people with "unconventional" body types. That last photo especially is super strange to me... barefoot in the woods next to a boulder with a bush coming out of her head and snapping her fingers? I don't know man...

The one just before the last one the light is great, her head is nearly completely turned away from the camera to the point where you can just barely see the tip of her nose. Bring it back a few notches and you probably would have had something good there. Maybe.
That part of the shoot with the rock is literally my least favorite part of it. Photos 3 and 4 are yes, quite close to each other, though they're different lenses and I was in my color temp experimenting phase so I didn't exactly edit both lenses the same way. I was deliberating whether to keep them identical when I got to that portion of the shoot and switched back and forth a few times and then just left them different since I wanted the wider ones to be more green because of all of the grass that was in the shot. I went with more skin tone centric on the more close up portrait style pics because that's what was filling the frame more.

Saad

I'm back from vacation in Norway and shot time lapse sequences for the first time. I used 2 cameras for the project, a Sony NEX-5t with a tiny Manfrotto tripod and a Canon 70D with a big sturdy tripod. I actually preferred the tiny set up, but I'll leave the discussion for some other time.

Any tips for a novice LR user on processing 13,000+ RAW photos?

Cheddahz

Banned
I like this. What is it? Image is rotated?

Nothing too fancy. Took a trip to the local K-Mart that's going to be closing up soon and I noticed just some random room in the back of the store (I believe it used to be the photography studio room) and I liked the pattern on the wall, along with the rods on the wall, so I took a few photos.

I went into Photoshop, rotated the photo vertically, messed around with the levels and curves, added some grain to it (I like grain), and did a little distorting in the middle!

vern

That part of the shoot with the rock is literally my least favorite part of it. Photos 3 and 4 are yes, quite close to each other, though they're different lenses and I was in my color temp experimenting phase so I didn't exactly edit both lenses the same way. I was deliberating whether to keep them identical when I got to that portion of the shoot and switched back and forth a few times and then just left them different since I wanted the wider ones to be more green because of all of the grass that was in the shot. I went with more skin tone centric on the more close up portrait style pics because that's what was filling the frame more.

Scrolling through the two pics back to back really stood out to me. it's of course up to you how you process your pictures, I think as a set it makes them less cohesive and I'd guess that most clients don't want wildly different skin tones and colors from picture to picture. If she's happy and you are happy though then it's all good.

Did she pay you?

mooksoup

Mook man.. I don't know how you do it. Love everything you do. Your subjects have personality, the lighting is perfect, and the editing is on point too. Keep up the great work.

The first three and the last one are all excellent don't get me wrong, but the 4th one and 5th one you hit it out of the park. The look that lady is giving in the mirror is killer and the framing is perfect and must have been difficult considering what was I'm sure a crowded and hectic place, plus the lighting situation was difficult I'm sure. The 5th one again, amazing. The hairy man ass, the facial expression, the setting, the hello kitty...great job really.

Oh man thank you. Appreciate it. Drag queens and performers are always fun to work with. Being able to switch on all that character makes taking portraits easy.

And yeah this is really pretty. Love the kinda under exposed & gloomy the city is.

Scrolling through the two pics back to back really stood out to me. it's of course up to you how you process your pictures, I think as a set it makes them less cohesive and I'd guess that most clients don't want wildly different skin tones and colors from picture to picture. If she's happy and you are happy though then it's all good.

Did she pay you?
Test shoot. Neither her or her agency complained.

Top Bottom