• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

The second one it looks like the horizon is not straight, other than that they look really good. I like the location
Thanks. I went back into Lightroom and fixed it up, should be straight when I replace the pic.
DSCF6310 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

I must admit that I enjoyed being able to get through an entire shoot with nothing more than what is essentially a 50mm. It's what the old pros used to do and I was able to pull it off.
Just finished editing some street stuff:

DSCF6053 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSCF6096 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSCF6202 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSCF6189-2 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

DSCF6128 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

hEist

20686546_1955143288065113_7533390070456254464_n.jpg
20766509_717805761750830_7992362868550926336_n.jpg

20837013_163701944201344_5425030572340674560_n.jpg
20902406_126581377961586_2100960261602017280_n.jpg

20688779_1142550569223225_364884800672104448_n.jpg
20759178_168185897059948_126647818076028928_n.jpg

21224392_492265507784246_4888319828261076992_n.jpg
21224825_363964974037496_5570809738121183232_n.jpg

#ShotOniPhone

kendrid

Banned
Landing by Kevin, on Flickr

I hate flower photos but a bee and a different bug "fighting" for a flower intrigued me so I watched them for a while.
Yellow by Kevin, on Flickr

A couple of months ago I dropped my camera bag and my Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.0 Contemporary case became slightly ajar. It still worked but I couldn't use it wide open without the photos being slightly blurry. I sent it in and received it fixed ($100) a week before leaving on a vacation. The case was new but the image stabilization no longer worked properly. We were going to Washington D.C. and I knew stabilization was going to be very important. I end up buying a Nikon 16-80 f/2.0-4.0 used to use on the trip. I could have rent it but from what I had read it "kills" the Sigma.

Today was the first day I compared them side by side and if I didn't look at the EXIF data I couldn't tell them apart. The Sigma actually focuses faster and quieter. The Nikon has slightly better contrast but for two times the price I can fix that in post processing. I am going to sell the Nikon and the eBay fees will end up being my rental fee.

I think these are my favorite photos you've put up in these threads. Nice work.
Thanks. It was fun doing a shoot with one lens. I used to do this when I first started out, but my compositional awareness and overall skill has improved GREATLY since then. That and 50mm is a lot more versatile of a focal length than 75mm.

Had an amazing time visiting the West coast of America and Canada. So many beautiful places. Took a million photos but have "narrowed" it down to a few of my favourites from each place.

Rockies:
Lake Louise by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Where the waters meet by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Lower falls - Johnston Canyon by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Banff by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Vancouver:

Gastown steam clock by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Beautiful Vancouver by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

View from Stanley Park by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

San Francisco:

Port of San Francisco by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Bay Bridge by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

DSC06570 by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Yosemite Falls, Santa Monica and a beautiful Californian sunset on the last night of the trip in Santa Barbara:

Yosemite Falls by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Santa Monica Pier by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Cali sunset by Andrew Morgans, on Flickr

Jzero

Do most of you use lightroom? I'm kinda used to working in Adobe Camera Raw but I want to try Lightroom as well.

leder

Neo Member
These were all taken on film during a 2 day business trip to São Paulo

6E9B1506-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1509-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1510-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1511-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1515-Edit-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1518-Edit-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1519-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1530-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1538-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1556-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1575-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1577-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1579-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1580-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

6E9B1584-Edit by David Freitas, on Flickr

SuperFinal

Neo Member
@ the better twin, I'm heading off to California at the end of this month for a whistle-stop tour of the area. Your shots have already got me all flustered. Top draw, mate.

Took this one last month. Got pretty lucky with the conditions, seeing as the night before was cancelled due to poor weather.

Bristol Balloon Fiesta by Matt Turner, on Flickr

vern

BCDAWG7 - first and third are too yellow for my liking...anyone else?

Better Twin - great stuff as always, makes me miss home (a little bit).

Jaded - You always seem to do better with male models, not sure why, but these are nice! Good job man.

SuperFinal - Nice shot!

Leder - looks like the 1980s, great vibe, don't take it the wrong way but I wish the photos were more interesting! The cat hat one is awesome though! Really cool. Wish you can talk to these people and get more portaits at some point.

Saad - Wish I could watch it but Youtube sucks here, I'll try again later :p

A few shots of my friend, we went to an exhibit then walked around for a little while and took some random snaps.

Miranda by Eric, on Flickr

Just realized every shot i posted is portrait oriented lol, here's one more to show I can turn the camera:

Jaded - You always seem to do better with male models, not sure why, but these are nice! Good job man.

A few shots of my friend, we went to an exhibit then walked around for a little while and took some random snaps.

Just realized every shot i posted is portrait oriented lol, here's one more to show I can turn the camera:

Thank you. This guy knew how relax in front of the camera and was comfortable in his own skin so it just worked I guess. Not to mention the environment was good with a good back drop. I actually think my last two female sets were pretty good, though yeah I've had a few stinkers to say the least. Those shots are pretty good. They have a street style vibe, which I believe is pretty popular.

leder

Neo Member
Are these film scans? What sort of film did you use, and what did you scan them with? I like the color casts

I shot 2 rolls, Kodak Colorplus 200 and Agfa Vista+ 400.
I borrowed a 5D Mk3 from a friend to do the scans (I don't have a macro lens for my fuji, currently waiting for nikon adapters to arrive).

Leder - looks like the 1980s, great vibe, don't take it the wrong way but I wish the photos were more interesting! The cat hat one is awesome though! Really cool. Wish you can talk to these people and get more portaits at some point.

Thank you again for the feedback. Now that I'm back home I'll start taking those serious street photos I promised before heh

Nice shots there, btw. I think I need to use my girlfriend more haha

Man, you guys take some gorgeous photos. I've recently gotten into Nendoroid photography, so I thought I'd share my very first Nendoroid photo and probably my favorite one so far.

36871375846_9ca799dc32_b.jpg

I've tried picking up photography in the past, but it never stuck with me. I fell in love with Nendoroids so I'm trying to take photos of them. I'm using an old Nikon D-5000 with stock lens. I have no clue about anything concerning photography. I just do it because it's fun and I like Nendoroids very much! It's hard for me to get a grasp on what looks good (composition, color, exposure, etc.), but I hope to continue taking pictures. I'm not looking to take this hobby seriously as I'm not in a financial situation where I can afford better equipment (or Nendoroids, for that matter, hahaha), but I will do my best and try to improve!

Since I started photography, I've always liked taking pictures of smaller, inanimate objects rather than organic photos of people or scenery. But mostly because my pictures were never really good with real people back then. I basically took pictures of the few things I had that seemed interesting and then stopped. My peers have continued and started taking photos for events and people and all that, and it made me a little sad to be left behind, so I'm happy that I have a few Nendoroids at least to take pictures of. Hopefully I don't burn out on them. :]

Man, you guys take some gorgeous photos. I've recently gotten into Nendoroid photography, so I thought I'd share my very first Nendoroid photo and probably my favorite one so far.

36871375846_9ca799dc32_b.jpg

I've tried picking up photography in the past, but it never stuck with me. I fell in love with Nendoroids so I'm trying to take photos of them. I'm using an old Nikon D-5000 with stock lens. I have no clue about anything concerning photography. I just do it because it's fun and I like Nendoroids very much! It's hard for me to get a grasp on what looks good (composition, color, exposure, etc.), but I hope to continue taking pictures. I'm not looking to take this hobby seriously as I'm not in a financial situation where I can afford better equipment (or Nendoroids, for that matter, hahaha), but I will do my best and try to improve!

Since I started photography, I've always liked taking pictures of smaller, inanimate objects rather than organic photos of people or scenery. But mostly because my pictures were never really good with real people back then. I basically took pictures of the few things I had that seemed interesting and then stopped. My peers have continued and started taking photos for events and people and all that, and it made me a little sad to be left behind, so I'm happy that I have a few Nendoroids at least to take pictures of. Hopefully I don't burn out on them. :]
Cropping out that windowsill would help. Would actually be an interesting black and white. There's barely any color in this any way.
Every time I post here I feel a little inadequate, there's so much talent, but I am trying to improve so anyway, went hiking a few weeks ago, here's a few shots.

08-2017-Eno-28 by Iker, on Flickr

08-2017-Eno-14 by Iker, on Flickr

08-2017-Eno-10 by Iker, on Flickr

Also I don't do much portrait, I don't feel comfortable with them, but I am trying to do that too
08-2017-Eno-20 by Iker, on Flickr
Are you shooting Jpeg or are you not using the fullest aspect ratio in the camera? I can't get the full size pic on flickr. Taking portraits of people takes a lot of practice. I'm better than I used to be, but still not super great...shit it might even be based on gender at this point since women can be tricky...especially if they're just stiff as fuck.

Jigolo

What do you guys think about 90% photo editing and maybe some light 1080p video editing. Would you buy a 13" MB Pro with a U series chip or a 15" HQ?

Reckoner

What do you guys think about 90% photo editing and maybe some light 1080p video editing. Would you buy a 13" MB Pro with a U series chip or a 15" HQ?

You will be fine with a 13" one. Final Cut is extremely well optimized for the machine. Even people using the tablet-like 12" can edit video just fine (Erica Griffin is an example.)

If size doesn't bother you, you'll be more speedy with the 15" one, for sure. But the portability of the smaller models is more enticing.

sneaky77

Are you shooting Jpeg or are you not using the fullest aspect ratio in the camera? I can't get the full size pic on flickr. Taking portraits of people takes a lot of practice. I'm better than I used to be, but still not super great...shit it might even be based on gender at this point since women can be tricky...especially if they're just stiff as fuck.

I am shooting raw but I do contrain the flikr export to 1250px on the long edge I think.

Top Bottom