• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2011 Thread Fail Of The Year

iammeiam

PSN Hack by a mile. It was a true multi-level fail--aside from the obvious larger issues, I have a soft spot for how PSN going offline pretty much right after Portal 2 came out was an amazing way to undercut the 'cool' factor of the Steam integration. Also all the poor people who bought PS3 copies because that way they could play on PC and PS3... only to be unable to activate their PC copies, because they couldn't sign in to PSN.

Killzone 3 MP.

PSN hack ? I don't really care that much.
Never was interested in Dragon Age 2, so has in PS3 version of Skyrim.
Duke Nukem Forever looks likes shit from miles away
LA Noire was turned out flat but I wasn't hyped for it...
So as for Brink or Red Orchestra 2

So yearh, Killzone 3 MP. I really love this saga and KZ2 MP was outstanding but they changed everything that was working in the first place and we end up having a broken to the bone multiplayer and that was not only a huge deception but also a huge waste considering everything good being done around it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
PC GPU driver and game developers lack of any apparent collaboration resulting in multiple day 1 broken games.

Shanadeus

Banned
SKYRIM

Because it should never be acceptable to release such a bug-filled game in this day and age.
Put it through a public beta, extend the QA, do everything you can to make sure your game has as few bugs as possible - instead of leaving that boring job to your fans.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SKYRIM

Because it should never be acceptable to release such a bug-filled game in this day and age.
Put it through a public beta, extend the QA, do everything you can to make sure your game has as few bugs as possible - instead of leaving that boring job to your fans.

They did, they just charged $60 for it.

ElRenoRaven

If it weren't for Sony's colossal fuck up Duke Nukem would have taken first. However thanks to how totally insanely beyond belief Sony screwed up and how they handled it, they win hands down for failure of the year for me..

Seik

Banned
Skyrim PS3 is a game that doesn't work long term, if that does not fail enough for you tell me what does. It's rare a game fails this much, plus the fact that it was a high selling AAA game, basically. A lot of people got screwed on this one.

yeah, this is really the fail of the year - but i dont own a ps3, nor do i play skyrim, so i voted for something else. shameful though. that deserves to win fail of the forever

For what? Bethesda has been doing this crap for years. Why suddenly FOTY material now?

I think Skyrim is fresh in people's minds, and there's alot of outrage (understandably so), but Skyrim doesn't even belong on the consideration list.

braves01

Banned
Because this time we are hitting an alltime new low of 0 FPS, maybe watch some videos people have posted.

Plus lies about using an all-new engine, only sending out xbox 360 copies, and doing everything they can to hide/downplay/ignore the problem.

Seik

Banned
For what? Bethesda has been doing this crap for years. Why suddenly FOTY material now?

I think Skyrim is fresh in people's minds, and there's alot of outrage (understandably so), but Skyrim doesn't even belong on the consideration list.

Skyrim the game doesn't even belong on the consideration list.

Skyrim the PS3 port is something a even that shouldn't exist in our era.

No bethesda games has been this broken THAT much.

SleazyC

Skyrim

For all the reasons already mentioned in this thread. Ambition shouldn't be used to cover up a game that is buggy and unoptimized for the visual quality represented in the game. Bonus points for claiming to use a completely new engine.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
DA2

I don't play games on my PS3, so I'm not bothered by the travesty of code known as Skyrim PS3 nor the PSN outage.

neos

I have not played da2 or skyrim, but from what i've read i will probably have voted for one of them
i have played DNF and i feel i can save something from that game.
So it's PSN outage for me.

For me personally, because I'm such a huge Zelda fan, the Fail of the Year is the new low in intrusive, hand-holding BS that Skyward Sword is riddled with.

In regards to Skyrim being nearly unplayable, shouldn't Sony have noticed these problems when it went to cert and then refused it? Whats the point of having gate keepers if they let clearly broken games through?

Apdiddy

I got several, but the main one for me is:

the PSN going down and the debacle surrounding

With these being important but not as big:

PS3 version of Skyrim being very much unplayable (thankfully I bought the 360 version but it still stings to hear)
L.A. Noire and Dragon Age II being some of the worst games this year - I had played only the demo of DAII and I could tell it would be awful. I bought the full game of L.A. Noire day 1 :(

SappYoda

For me its Skyrim.

Bethesda could have crowned themselves as the best but instead they got a big stain that its not going to wash with ease.

Ps3 skyrim, not only did they lie about the console versions being the same but they also lied about it being a new engine, when in fact it was just a updated gamebyro game

yurinka

1) 3DS launch. Priced too high, headaches / dizziness, 2nd analog missing, and no huge launch games, poor battery life when compared to more powerful portable devices. Now they fixed the price, announced the 2nd add-on add-on, released MonHun and 2 Marios. Let's hope they release a SKU next year with the 2nd analog integrated, and if possible reducing the headaches / dizziness and a larger battery life.

2) Skyrim PS3. Someone still has to make it playable.

3) Long PSN outage due to the hack, with the shitty "next week, guys".

Skyrim PS3/Bethesda for failing for three straight years.
If a dev has a bad track record with a certain system, why buy it day 1? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice ...

Ps3 skyrim, not only did they lie about the console versions being the same but they also lied about it being a new engine, when in fact it was just a updated gamebyro game
I could've told you that after the release of the first trailer and I'm pretty sure others have mentioned it in the reveal thread. This game reeks of Gamebyro.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
thats disappointing, but i'd take track(s) over car(s) any day. honorable mention goes to the missing le mans track, camino viejo extreme reverse, and new york (despite being a poor track - for variety). i just cant believe my favorite track ever is missing in the sequel. especially since the shorter version is in :(

True, but going from 35 Porsches to 0 because EA failed sharing in elementary school is irritating, especially since they aren't making racing sims anymore.

Top Bottom