• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2011 Thread Fail Of The Year

Carbonox

PSN outage out of principle.

Game-wise, Resistance 3. Worst and most disappointing game I've played this year out of any I've played/bought.

McNum

PSN outage

Oh, sure, there are other good fails this year, several disappointing games, and so on, but I think the PSN hack and then long outage has to take it.

Durante

PSN hack obviously.

Dragon Age II is just a shit game, and Skyrim? Really? I asked this before, but given Bethesda's track record why would you buy Skyrim on PS3 without waiting for impressions from other people or without renting it first?
I think the reason people (me included) hate DA2 so much (compared to your average shit game) is that it wasn't just a shit game. It was a shit game and the only game released in its genre this year.

jgminto

The biggest Fail of the Year was Brendan McNamara/Team Bondi. Start off with a story driven game with a terrible story, one dimensional characters and about 2/5 of the game that was bullshit. Then allegations of McNamara working the team ridiculously hard and removing people's name off the credits of LA Noire if they quit during development. And then the inevitable shutdown and liquidation of Team Bondi, which can almost solely be blamed on McNamara. Not a good chapter for the Aussie game industry.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Red Faction Armageddon being a linear, generic, cave shooter with virtually no destruction.

Gotta agree here. Failed Syfy series "brand branch-outs" combined with an utter failure of a sequel to understand at all what anyone liked about the first one... followed up by the announcement that the whole IP was being shelved.

PSN hack is very high-profile, but so far no signs of actual theft related, unlike XBox Live FIFA phishing. Plus that games as apology has got to be taken into account and lessens the fail.

PS3 Skyrim is shameful, but it will be fixed and more or less forgotten, and they still sold a metric fuckton of them. Not quite a fail.

Ditto Dragon Age 2. Very many sold, many people hold the conflicting opinion it is alright. And Mass Effect 1 had like 3 dozen bases with all the same floorplan too. Not quite a fail.

But Red Faction: Armageddon? Couldn't have failed HARDER.

Nintendo Next Gen

The 3DS and Wii U have both had disastrous showings. CEOs taking voluntary pay cuts, drops in stock prices, and the drop off in current gen software might be seen as the first nail in Nintendo's coffin.

MDSLKTR

I didn't play it but dragon age 2.
I'd also say crysis 2, even tough I'm in still in the first half, what were they thinking??

Fail of the year: YOU!

yes I'm going the Time magazine route here. Fuck y'all who didn't buy games like Shadows of the Damned and Bulletstorm thus telling the developers their games were worthless.

Tain

PSN outage.

goin' for that triple

I mean, shitty things happened, but I can't think of anything bigger than that.

yes I'm going the Time magazine route here. Fuck y'all who didn't buy games like Shadows of the Damned and Bulletstorm thus telling the developers their games were worthless.

but then you'd be asking me to tell Cave and Platinum and G.Rev and Ark System Works and ByKing and so on that their games are worthless!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

yes I'm going the Time magazine route here. Fuck y'all who didn't buy games like Shadows of the Damned...

I know it ain't a popular opinion here, but, um... it wasn't that good. Repetitive graphics, horrible texture pop-in, annoying sound effects (that GOAT! that BABY!), and a script that was honestly pretty stupid in its attempts at humor.

Maybe this title belongs as biggest fail... if Red Faction: Armageddon hadn't come out this year and killed a whole potential franchise.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Aw man, where do we even begin. This has been a pretty hilarious year from psn getting hacked, to funding hacking terrorists, to climbing the ever slippery slopes of shit-mountain™, to the Fifa hack n denials, to bullet-time 0fps Skyrim for dat triple and beyond.
Let us reminisce.

Top Bottom