• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2016 Thread: Fail Of The Year

Fisty

Hello Games will be laughing on top of their pile of money if they win this. Is it a failure if it is a huge commercial success?

At least Hello Games kept working on the game and already released a big patch. What have the Might No. 9 devs been doing the past six months?

1. Palmer Lucky / Oculus
2. Game Awards

Hello (+Sony?) screwed up the NMS launch, but they're trying to right the ship, so eh. The Oculus shit is way worse to me.

Moofers

I still think its ridiculous that the PSP Go won this thing in 2009. People dogged it for being all digital and look where we are now.

For this year, I'm going to vote for Street Fighter V

banana factory said:
This will be controversial, but Street Fighter V

No Man's Sky blew it big-time but it also came from a tiny team of 10 people that had no idea what they were doing

SFV was a colossal fuckup by Capcom after the huge success that was SFIV

Exactly.

Runner Up goes to all the "hot takes" out there that tried to shame people for enjoying stupid things like R Mika's ass slap and suggesting that the gaming industry is some hopeless pit of adolescence that is still waiting for games with serious subject matter for adults.

Oh, and a dishonorable mention to Palmer Lucky for his pro-Trump trolling bullshit thing. Fuck all that.

FelipeMGM

Ya, that's the thing. I didn't buy Battleborn, so I don't care about it, but I did buy and play half an hour of NMS before I realized how much fucking money I just wasted.

Yeah, its not a good game, not worth 60 bucks but still sold like crazy (for a month at least lol) for what it was

The way Hello Games handled the situation was a much bigger fail then the game itself. They got a huge pile of money but lost all credibility

1. No Man's Sky
2. Street Fighter V (don't think it was a huge fail like NMS, tho. just bad execution overall by just focusing on the EVO community)

Hello Games will be laughing on top of their pile of money if they win this. Is it a failure if it is a huge commercial success?
i wouldn't call a game with litteraly zero legs a commercial success. especially, when the reception killed any value in the IP and also damaged the developers reputation.

and no, halo:mcc, ac:unity or driveclub are not in the same league. the games were buggy and/or lacking in quality, but no "worst game of the generation" contender

Robiin

1. No Man's sky

What a shitstorm. If this game wasn't hyped to high heavens, it would be played by few and forgotten in a week. As it is now, it is the biggest one-eighty I've seen, both by players and the developers. From everyone anticipating the release - claiming they would never have to buy another game again - to the developers doing numerous interviews and reddit AMAs. A few months later, the player numbers dropped to miniscule levels and the developers went radio silent. The people who were defending the game before it was out were now furious and made threats, and the team had managed to hype their game up so much there was nothing they could say that would calm down the "fans". A true failure, by Sony (throwing the developers under the bus), the team (promising things they could not deliver) and the public (getting caught by marketing then making death threats and "detective work". I truly hope everyone involved will learn a lesson from this example.

Sendou

1. No Man's Sky

Looks like they're trying to turn the ship around which is great because I do eventually want to play this game. But the PR disaster the launch was is quite unique in the history of video games. Plus the confusing statements following silent treatment after launch were inexcusable.

1. FFXV

Some hideous boss fights and terrible game design. Complete with a massive open world game that drags in time and devoid of anything interesting. Coupled with a game that gradually gets worse as it goes on. With characters I learned to care nothing about and a poor, short story. Didn't care for the mostly pointless collectibles, recipes for cooking, levelling up and lack of weapons. Magic/summons were severely limited or worthless bothering with. A massive disappointment in the end and my fail of the year by far.

RoKKeR

1. No Man's Sky

Short term gain. They've tarnished their and their game's reputation. Maybe they turn their image around, but who knows...

Justinh

1. No Man's Sky

Honorable Mentions
-Palmer Luckey
-CS:GO lotto scandal
1. Bethesda's review policy changes/Day one reviews

There's good reason why Giant Bomb talked about it for a total of two hours on the Bomb and Beast casts.

oh my God, that's a good one.

1. Bethesda's review policy changes/Day one reviews

There's good reason why Giant Bomb talked about it for a total of two hours on the Bomb and Beast casts.

1. Palmer Luckey

No Man's Sky was a disappointment, but Luckey's shenanigans actually tied into the biggest catastrophe for America in 2016, so that alone makes it win this "award".

2. Nintendo firing Alison Rapp

Another awful effect of Neogaf's 2014 Fail of the Year.

Stoze

1. No Man's Sky

Or more specifically, everything surrounding No Man's Sky. From the cultists at the NMS subreddit sending Jason Schreier death threats before release, the ensuing shit show of disappointment at release, the two players meeting up and confirming there was no multiplayer, the Crowbcat video, the hugely upvoted Reddit post about prompting a wave of refunds, the vitriolic refund thread and various other threads on here since release, silence from the devs prompting people to analyze Google map pictures to see if people were at the studio...etc. Reading this back to myself still doesn't come close to illuminating the clusterfuck this game caused.

Yeah, I think the list for this year is

1. No Man's Sky
2. Mighty No. 9
3. Palmer Lucky
4. Battleborn

Nice list, I'm gonna steal it.

Phediuk

1. Palmer Luckey

No Man's Sky was a disappointment, but Luckey's shenanigans actually tied into the biggest catastrophe for America in 2016, so that alone makes it win this "award".

2. Nintendo firing Alison Rapp

Another awful effect of Neogaf's 2014 Fail of the Year.

Man, I forgot about the Alison Rapp thing. That was this year?

Atilac

1. Palmer Luckey
2. CS Go lotto
Que the people exaggerating the mediocre no man's sky as if it gave them cancer - ignoring that the pampered manchild who made VR mainstream is a neo-nazi and a group of people made millions making gambling available to children while stacking the odds in their favor.

HotHamBoy

1. Final Fantasy XV

Funny thing, as many problems as the game has I actually count it as a major success that they defied expectations by delivering something most people found enjoyable.

It's a big mess but a lot of us expected it to be much worse. That's a win.

Oh,
1. No Man's Sky

megalowho

1. Palmer Luckey

Funding white supremacist shitposting and a misinformation campaign on the sly for the lulz, that gross Reddit post, coming clean to a reporter and then lying in the ensuing PR statement. The crown prince of VR couldn't even show face at his own companies annual conference.

Quonny

1. Palmer Luckey
Que the people exaggerating the mediocre no man's sky as if it gave them cancer

Queue over-reactions from people thinking that those saying that No Man's Sky was disappointing are actually mad or even think about the game outside of when it's brought up.

bigkrev

1. Palmer Lucky

No Man's sky was a disaster, but Palmer Lucky is malicious and harmful, where as No Man's Sky was just a waste of $60

antitrop

1. GameTrailers shut down
These things happen. We have Easy Allies.

It would have been a real fail if all the GT guys split up and did their own thing and we never heard from them again, but that's thankfully not the case.

That they're able to support themselves through crowdfunding and the love of their fans is more of a triumph than anything.

Its gonna be no mans sky isn't lol.

Not that i was ever interested in that game. Its not even that it simply turned out the way it did (i suspected it would dissapoint) but the absolute shit show that the marketing for it was.

1. No Man's Sky

No real contest here. I mean if they didn't go radio silent for the longest time after the fact the result may of been different, but both the product and response were both complete disasters.

FelipeMGM

Geez, there were a lot of fails this year. Didnt even remember some of these like CS Go Lotto bs or Nintendo firing Alisson Rapp

These things happen. We have Easy Allies.

It would have been a real fail if all the GT guys split up and did their own thing and we never heard from them again, but that's thankfully not the case.

That they're able to support themselves through crowdfunding and the love of their fans is more of a triumph than anything.

I agree that in a weird way, that was a win.

Atilac

Queue over-reactions from people thinking that those saying that No Man's Sky was disappointing are actually mad or even think about the game outside of when it's brought up.
I can totally see how that is worse than nazism and child gambling,

Top Bottom