• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes FOTY 2016 Thread: Fail Of The Year

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
1. No Man's Sky

Honorable mention: SonyGAF for hyping the fuck out of this game as a system seller/list war fodder. Ultra-ambitious game by a new developer with a 10-person team. Surely nothing can go wrong. Hype this shit to eleven!!! Silence the skeptics!!

CookedMiniatureGreatwhiteshark.gif

giphy.gif

Salty Hippo

1. No Man's Sky

Not even a question.

Honorable mentions:

2. Phil Spencer and Xbox's E3 conference.

3. Firewatch's conclusion.

Pokemaniac

1. Paper Mario: Color Splash

If it was just another disappointing Paper Mario I wouldn't even consider posting it here but then they had to go and make those ridiculous comments about how Mario and Luigi RPG somehow made RPG Paper Marios redundant. That was just ridiculous.

1. Palmer Luckey

As an aside, I wouldn't put SFV as a fail of the year. It's not even the franchise to experience the biggest drop in sales over the predecessor this year and the gameplay is great.

So I have a hard time giving it FOTY when there's plenty of other games with steep sales drops.

Mindestens

Neo Member
After checking 10 pages I feel this year's competition should be called 'Second biggest fail of the year after NMS'.

1. videogamer.com going shite.

Last year I enjoyed much of their work that wasn't too serious thanks to being introduced to it by Jim Sterling's Twitter account but this one they started producing less and less nonsense due to their financial situation.

Trinca and Burns are deeply missed by this one. Miller's work went into direction I don't enjoy as much. Scammel and Orry are next to stop working there at all by end of the year. F- Brat.

Rozart

1. Palmer Luckey. Not even close. Trying to put a game in the top slot is petty compared to how awful this is. His actions had very real world consequences and not just humorous GAF meltdown threads. I'd like to ask anyone posting a list solely of games how they could possibly justify it versus this. Because this political matter is so divisive, this won't get the votes it should on an objective basis. It would be awesome if the mods considered that by offering some sort of "official" dishonorable mention atop what the obvious winner is going to be.

2. CS:GO gambling controversy. This would be an easy winner in many other years.

3. No Man's Sky. Biggest didn't-live-up-to-hype fiasco in a decade.

I'm going to echo this. After reading up more on Luckey, he gets the top spot on my list for sure.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
1. Mighty Number 9

2. Battleborne

NMS certainly deserves ridicule for its myriad of issues, but like SFV, its being improved with updates to where the game by this time 2017 will be much closer to what was intended (hopefully). Its the biggest mess for sure but its not stuck where it was when it released. I don't know if there is any helping Battleborne, and given the hope that went into MN9 originally its kinda sad where it ended up .

After taking some time to think about this:

1. Lionhead / Fable legends : A core studio for MS, and one of their pillar franchises. It was really unfortunate what happened to Lionhead and the Fable franchise, which seemed ripe for a brilliant 4th installment on Xbox One. I played Fable Legends, it was ok - it had problems, but I don't see why they didn't just put it out as a game preview title. It was fascinating to read the series of events that lead up to this in the Eurogamer story. I hope this serves as a lesson and learning opportunity for MS, but also for other big publisher/devs.

Honorable Mentions:
2. No Man's Sky : I think Hello Games, Sean Murray, and Sony share equal blame in this. The marketing, promotion, and general discussion for this game was misleading and disingenuous, and even after delays it was still released in a poor state, and should've been further delayed.
3. Palmer Lucky
4. Street Fighter V's launch

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1. Nintendo. Didnt release jack shit this year. Delayed Zelda AGAIN. Didnt even reveal Switch properly. Just an awful miserable failure of a year for a video game publisher.

Top Bottom