• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF...we have to talk about Gordon Ramsay's grilled cheese....

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

How can one of the best, most decorated chefs on the planet, manage to utterly fuck a simple grilled cheese? Don't get me wrong, the man is brilliant and is at the top of his game. He CAN talk shit about mediocre cooks. But this abomination is Mestre de Pizza tier. The fucking cheese wasn't even melted. It's a series of car crashes in cheese sandwich form. What happened Gordon? Were you high? Jesus!

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It looks good, but I don't know if I like the bread being that thick. Maybe if it was like 1 slice with cheese on top. The Kim Chee is pretty novel.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

How can one of the best, most decorated chefs on the planet, manage to utterly fuck a simple grilled cheese? Don't get me wrong, the man is brilliant and is at the top of his game. He CAN talk shit about mediocre cooks. But this abomination is Mestre de Pizza tier. The fucking cheese wasn't even melted. It's a series of car crashes in cheese sandwich form. What happened Gordon? Were you high? Jesus!

yeah how about no

badblue

How can one of the best, most decorated chefs on the planet, manage to utterly fuck a simple grilled cheese?

Well his first mistake was using a wood fire to heat the pan. The pan is going get some pretty good hot/cold spots leading to the choice to either pull the sandwich before the cheese was melted or burning the bread.

Burning the bread is worse then not melting the cheese.

Lone Wolf

GXHOB4h.png

Thaedolus

The best grilled cheese is cheddar sliced thick with avocado slices and thick cut bacon. Turned liked 20 times to get a really even melt.
You’re describing a melt.

Grilled cheese just has cheese. Butter, bread, American cheese.

I’d eat what Gordon made but I don’t know what to call it because it wasn’t a grilled cheese

poodaddy

I don't know man, I think it looked really good, my main concern is that he killed all the probiotics in the kimchi by putting it on before cooking rather than after. Never waste probiotics.

Dr.D00p

...but what did it taste like?

Or have you passed judgement before doing so.

LostDonkey

I use those pockets that go in the toaster.

Sometimes I just use untoasted bread and put a cheese sandwich in the microwave for a warm gooey melted cheese mess.

Sometimes I don't even use bread and just chow down on cheese.

Sometimes I go hungry.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Yes my son?

Grilled cheese sandwiches are the food of the Gods. I should know.

There are many ways to make these. I prefer aged cheese with some grounded pepper pan fried.

Pro tip: add some cheese around the outer sides of the bread so it'll melt and harden into crispy goodness

Also fuck that Ramsey fuck.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
No the man isn't brilliant he is a failed footballer with numerous failed restaurants where people have lost their jobs and careers and he is a sweary cunt who lives in a big posh house in London yet bleats about his scottish upbringing and independence from the UK.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Nothing wrong with a classic, cheap grilled cheese, but naw man you can definitely fancy up a grilled cheese with some brie and a mayo/chili sauce combo with grilled carrots, broccoli and onion 🤤 Good shit.

Interesting clash of class and food culture. A grilled cheese should be made with white bread and american cheese singles. There’s better ingredients sure, but lots of people have a emotional connection to this cheap dish they would receive as a treat when they were a kid. Fancying up a grilled cheese, it isn’t really the same thing anymore. Of course Gordon has to use fancy cheese, and his whole shtick is that he knows the proper way to prepare any food, but it just comes across as classist to tell people the proper way to prepare a grilled cheese is to use expensive cheese and artisan bread. Not like he’s gonna be able to appear cultured and superior by showing you how to make the classic diner food grilled cheese you already know.

Now if you want a good grilled cheese, here’s my white trash grilled cheese hack: add a little garlic powder inside the sandwich before cooking and sprinkle a little on the golden buttery crust when it’s done cooking. Easily twice as good as a standard grilled cheese, you donkey.

Tams

Interesting clash of class and food culture. A grilled cheese should be made with white bread and american cheese singles. There’s better ingredients sure, but lots of people have a emotional connection to this cheap dish they would receive as a treat when they were a kid. Fancying up a grilled cheese, it isn’t really the same thing anymore. Of course Gordon has to use fancy cheese, and his whole shtick is that he knows the proper way to prepare any food, but it just comes across as classist to tell people the proper way to prepare a grilled cheese is to use expensive cheese and artisan bread. Not like he’s gonna be able to appear cultured and superior by showing you how to make the classic diner food grilled cheese you already know.

Now if you want a good grilled cheese, here’s my white trash grilled cheese hack: add a little garlic powder inside the sandwich before cooking and sprinkle a little on the golden buttery crust when it’s done cooking. Easily twice as good as a standard grilled cheese, you donkey.

Perhaps if you are American.

Most Brits for example, won't touch American 'cheese' with a barge pole unless it's in a burger or the very rare Philly Cheesesteak. And even then, it'll probably use some proper Cheddar instead.

Perhaps if you are American.

Most Brits for example, won't touch American 'cheese' with a barge pole unless it's in a burger or the very rare Philly Cheesesteak. And even then, it'll probably use some proper Cheddar instead.
Well you’re missing out tommy. Cheddar is also acceptable.

Chronicle

Whi gives a shit. It's grilled cheese.

lachesis

Flavor profile is definitely there - adding Kimchi is a novel idea. Sautéed kimchi in pork fat would be really wonderful addition to that grilled cheese.

I would have kept the sandwich on lower heat to really melt the cheese, or even grate the cheese first to make it melt little faster, or even pre-melt the cheese…then go for crispy texture. Kinda hard to control the heat on live flame, I guess… as I see he burned some corner of that bread.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's funny because American cheese is actually just a blend of cheeses and often (but not always) a few ingredients like whey that was developed in Switzerland in a process meant to reduce waste. I guess the weird way it melts turns people abroad off.

Anyway, I am not a snob when it comes to grilled cheese sandwiches when it comes to what kinds of cheeses one uses, only the process of cooking it. Like I mentioned earlier Roy Choi has pretty much refined the process. You can see it in the movie Chef or the Netflix show The Chef Show. Ramsay's on the other hand is basically just a step above a toasted cheese sandwich. I couldn't care less what cheeses he uses. But the end result is not a grilled cheese sandwich.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I can't wait until I move into a home with a fireplace. I've always wanted to be able to make a grilled cheese sandwich.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is when the pretentiousness comes full circle.

The best grilled cheese on film was 'The Chef' with Favreau.

Pro Tip: delete this video.

Real talk: grate a little vintage cheddar or parmesan and about half way cooking sprinkle on the OUTSIDE before flipping then finish grilling both sides by repeating again. Crispy tasty caramelised laced cheese on the outside and gooey stringy melted cheese on the inside. Also use two types of cheeses and a slice or two of grandmother's ham.

Last edited:

Lasha

Kimchi wastes the cheeses he selected. I learned the hard way that kimchi doesn't mix with asiago cheese. Especially the aged version. Those cheeses don't melt well either so I'm lost.

The sandwich looks more like something I would cook at 2am with whatever the fuck was in the fridge than something prepared by a Michelin star chef.

Top Bottom