• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grilled cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paskil

I define a grilled cheese sandwich as bread that is covered on the outside of the slices with butter, mayo, ghee, or another oil based cooking product. The cheese is placed between the slices of bread and the sandwich is cooked on a heated surface such as a pan or griddle. Once the cheese is melty and the bread is cooked to some level of toastiness, the individual will consume the sandwich
shit their pants and cry at the sheer majesty of cheese

No toaster talk.

What is your sandwich choice (cheese/bread/spread)?

Being from Wisconsin, I can factually and objectively tell you that the best combination is smoked gouda and baby swiss on sourdough. Ghee or butter works best, although mayo can be used in a pinch. It is the moral, American choice.

The only thing that should be on a grilled cheese sandwich that can have said sandwich retain its glorious name as grilled cheese is sliced tomato. Anything else turns it into a regular heated sandwich. This is the unwritten 11th commandment that was missed when Moses was trying to carve the others into a piece of stone.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are even better with soup. Homemade soups are very easy to make. A simple soup is as easy as chicken broth, chicken, and vegetables (carrots/celery/onion/cabbage). For the best combination, I recommend an onion diced and cooked until clear in a few tablespoons of oil. Garlic, salt, and pepper or other seasonings will make it even better. Add noodles, rice, or easy dumplings. Come at me with some soup ideas. I'm making some creamy butternut squash soup later this week. It's Fall in Wisconsin and it's going to get cold.

I define a grilled cheese sandwich as bread that is covered on the outside of the slices with butter, mayo, ghee, or another oil based cooking product. The cheese is placed between the slices of bread and the sandwich is cooked on a heated surface such as a pan or griddle. Once the cheese is melty and the bread is cooked to some level of toastiness, the individual will consume the sandwich
shit their pants and cry at the sheer majesty of cheese

No toaster talk.

What is your sandwich choice (cheese/bread/spread)?

Being from Wisconsin, I can factually and objectively tell you that the best combination is smoked gouda and baby swiss on sourdough. Ghee or butter works best, although mayo can be used in a pinch. It is the moral, American choice.

The only thing that should be on a grilled cheese sandwich that can have said sandwich retain its glorious name as grilled cheese is sliced tomato. Anything else turns it into a regular heated sandwich. This is the unwritten 11th commandment that was missed when Moses was trying to carve the others into a piece of stone.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are even better with soup. Homemade soups are very easy to make. A simple soup is as easy as chicken broth, chicken, and vegetables (carrots/celery/onion/cabbage). For the best combination, I recommend an onion diced and cooked until clear in a few tablespoons of oil. Garlic, salt, and pepper or other seasonings will make it even better. Add noodles, rice, or easy dumplings. Come at me with some soup ideas. I'm making some creamy butternut squash soup later this week. It's Fall in Wisconsin and it's going to get cold.

Wisconsin must be very boring for you to have to dress up a classic like that to find it appetizing....

Wanace

Had grilled cheese + soup for dinner tonight.

Although it was Kraft slices on wheat bread with canned Progresso, which diminishes the value a bit.

studyguy

As a kid I stuck some shitty wonderbread into the microwave with some kraft singles in the middle and warmed it up for a couple seconds.

Worked for me, then again we were broke af.

Best one I've had was at a steak house that served it with a side of hearty tomato soup and a some tender cuts. Too good. Honestly though, bread and cheese suffice for me in the end. Whatev

Therion

I used to like putting sliced raw onion in my grilled cheese as a kid. Haven't tried that in forever, but I bet that tossing in some sauteed onions would be pretty amazing without having nearly as much breath impact.

I used to like putting sliced raw onion in my grilled cheese as a kid. Haven't tried that in forever, but I bet that tossing in some sauteed onions would be pretty amazing without having nearly as much breath impact.

Cheese Sandwich. That's Cheese. And Sandwich.

Don't get complicated.

Velcro Fly

I might be a baby but nothing tops the grilled cheese on whatever store bought rye bread my mom used to make for me when I was a kid.

I remember in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, Chumley loved those Grilled Cheese sandwiches.

I love Grilled Cheese. It's best with Chicken noodle, but cup noodle works fine.

Also, Craft Singles is the best cheese for grilled cheese.

BFIB

Had grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner. Was delicious. But breakfast for dinner still takes the crown.

MisterNoisy

I like the Arnold 12-grain bread or a nice sourdough with swiss and/or Gouda and a fair bit of black pepper between the cheese slices, grilled at medium low so you give the cheese plenty of time to melt while the bread gets buttery and golden brown. That and some tomato soup is pretty much the perfect lunch.

Paskil

Grilled cheese of all types are awesome. Even cheese product grilled cheese. There is only one best grilled cheese, though. Caramelized onions are pretty good on a cheese sandwich.

Therion

Grilled cheese of all types are awesome. Even cheese product grilled cheese. There is only one best grilled cheese, though. Caramelized onions are pretty good on a cheese sandwich.
Sorry, but I already suggested that and it is apparently heresy of the worst kind.

Paskil

Sorry, but I already suggested that and it is apparently heresy of the worst kind.

Important distinction, you called a cooked cheese sandwich with onions on it a grilled cheese. This is not, in fact, a grilled cheese. As I noted in the post you quote, I refer to it as a cheese sandwich.

pYHsuPj.gif

Therion

Important distinction, you called a cooked cheese sandwich with onions on it a grilled cheese. This is not, in fact, a grilled cheese. As I noted in the post you quote, I refer to it as a cheese sandwich.

pYHsuPj.gif
And I was told in no uncertain terms that such a thing was no longer a cheese sandwich.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
No, butter needs to be on both sides of the bread slices or else your grilled cheese is bullshit.

hoy

Banned
I very rarely eat them anymore, but those with soup were a thing growing up.

Here is a crazy twist I learned later in life. Put thin yellow onion slices and a hint of mustard inside the grilled cheese.

Sounded nasty when it was first handed to me, but I tried it and it was awesome and I wouldn't make another without.

I remember one time I made a sandwich with raw bacon. ( I thought the pan would heat it up adequately - I was wrong.)

It was soooooooooooo good, but I felt real sick after.

But ya know, it was kinda worth it.

No butter with cheese and onions inside, slow cooked on a skillet. Takes about 10 - 15 minutes depending on your mood. If you do it right it will swell up a bit.

RP912

Banned
grilled ham and cheese on wheat tho.

I never done the whole soup/grilled cheese combination but it sounds tempting as hell....especially clam chowder :).

Paskil

tumblr_kqbog44UOZ1qzhu5zo1_500.png

That ep was when I learned about mayo for grilled cheese. I wonder how long black people have been keeping that a secret.

Check out the converts. It's the only way to do it anymore.

http://food52.com/blog/10792-gabrielle-hamilton-s-grilled-cheese-sandwiches

http://www.thekitchn.com/should-you-fry-your-grilled-ch-144259

http://consumerist.com/2014/02/13/we-tried-grilled-cheese-fried-in-mayo-and-it-is-delicious/

It's good, but I think ghee works best. It can really depend on the cheeses involved and the mayo
Miracle Whip is Satan's ejaculate
. I'm now interested in making some aioli's to try with some cheese combos.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
also mayo on a grilled cheese is disgusting

Possibly one of the top ten worst things that a person can do, not just with food but in general. Certainly in the top twenty.

Persona7

Banned
I remember one time I made a sandwich with raw bacon. ( I thought the pan would heat it up adequately - I was wrong.)

It was soooooooooooo good, but I felt real sick after.

But ya know, it was kinda worth it.

i need to try slapping some bacon in my grilled cheese next time. Sourdough, ultra sharp cheddar and bacon sounds like a good combination/

Therion

You know, I just realized I've never dipped my grilled cheese in anything but tomato soup before. Now I can't help but think, what about chili? It might be a bit overpowering, but even if it doesn't taste much like grilled cheese anymore, I bet it would still taste great.

Paskil

Possibly one of the top ten worst things that a person can do. Certainly in the top twenty.

I think the problem people have with this is that they don't understand the concept. If you understand it and still dismiss it, fine. There should be no mayo flavor if you spread and cook it properly. You just sub mayo for butter on the bread side that is cooked. Hellmann's works great.

vikki

Well, that person is just being a silly goose. It's certainly not a grilled cheese sandwich. It would be a cheese sandwich.

As long as the cheese is the meat of the sandwich and it is grilled, I see no reason to call it anything but a grilled cheese. Tomato gets a pass, but onions don't?

I like my grilled cheese with tomato. Could be kraft singles, sometimes you just want that gooey shit. We use a fair amount of muenster in my house so that's fine too, one of the best cheeses to melt. I do enjoy cheddar, but it takes some work to get it to melt like other cheeses. I like how provolone gets stringy, but I don't use it often. Sometimes I like to char up some pickles and put them in. I use a Tawa or a panini press and it's always butter on the outside.

I forgot the bread. Lately it's been Portuguese rolls. They're a little bulky, but the panini press takes care of that.

pYHsuPj.gif

I'd say none of the above is accurate to describe this thread.

This should be, "Things to Do When You're Bored Because Wisconsin"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom