• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what's gour favourite starter town in RPG's?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is a nice topic.
Indeed, reading through almost every post has me smiling with nostalgia.

Midgar is the best, I think, simply because of how fleshed out it is compared to most starter towns (even if you never explore 90% of it!) The entire Midgar segment feels distinctly unique among RPGs with its gritty modern aesthetic, even when compared to the rest of the game it's in.

I know this doesn't really count, but Dolanaar from World of Warcraft was really nice back in the day. A little hamlet tucked away in an enchanted forest, surrounded by furbolgs and patrolled by ancients, with the promise of a vast world ahead of you to explore... nothing will compare to that feeling ever again. It sounds stupid, but picking herbs, talking to the townsfolk, and investigating the nearby Starbreeze Village are some of the most nostalgic memories I'll ever have.

Dolanaar.jpg

Peltz

I agree with others that nothing really compares to Seyda Neen from Morrowind. And I'm not normally a fan of WRPGs. But this was something special:

95771.jpg

DarkTom

I'll go with the FFXII one. FFIX is very charming but you don't stay in very long, quite the opposite for FFXII as it stays a really important place with a lot of things to do during all the game.

It's so hard to choose, starting towns are often my favorite parts of the game. Zelda (yes including TP haters), FF (Gridania might be my favorite), Tales, and even Paper Mario are all good examples.

SMTIV does not make the list.

Tazmily Village from Mother 3. The way you see the town develop as the game progresses stirs up a lot of emotions. As someone who grew up in a small rural town that gradually fell victim to over-development I found it very relatable.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
While I like the starting Island as a whole, I still found the first town in Baten Kaitos, Cebalrai, to be great. It really gives you that sense of wonder about the world. The prerendered backgrounds are just beyond beautiful, but the way they're animated really is amazing.

Then when you hit the capital city Pherkad you can't help but be blow away completely. Shit is too gorgeous. But Cebalrai is definitely no slouch either. I want a sequel so bad.

Rabanastre, definitely.

That shit was amazing at the time, it really felt like a living place, and absolutely sold the point that FFXII was a different beast.

Timeaisis

Alexandria from FFIX. Hell, all of FFIX's towns are the best towns.

Second would be Onett from Earthbound because it has a lot of character.

Pinky

Banned
Narshe (FFVI)

Midgar (FFVII)

Rabanastre (FFXII)

Leene's Square (Chrono Trigger) - Not really a town, but the first highly populated area you get to explore after leaving Crono's house.

Onett (Earthbound)

Aliahan Castle (Dragon Warrior III)

StereoVsn

I am taking Sigil (Torment) and Inaba (P4) out of the running as both games take place in starting towns, so with those two out, Morrowind's Seyda Neen, FFVII Midgar and BG2's Athkatla take the prize, although I must admit that Fable 1 starting town holds some nostalgia values as well.

cireza

Balamb Garden in FF VIII is great because it has such a relaxing atmosphere and so many things to do (like playing Triple Triad lol)
Chrono Trigger
Terranigma
Saraband from Shining Force III, sets up very well the background of the game
Parm from Grandia

sugarless

For me it will always be camp narache, the tauren starting area from WoW.
latest

I didn't even really think of WoW for this topic but now you mention it those areas have a special place in one's heart. I only played WoW for 6 months but the undead starting area, Deathknell, is pretty atmospheric and cool.
latest

Aspertia City from Pokemon Black & White 2. Stands out among the other starting towns in Pokemon since it's a decently sized city instead of tiny town and has its own Gym and Training School.

westman

Radiata City (from Radiata Stories) is my favorite JRPG town, period. It's so big and alive, with lots of things to do, secrets, people to recruit, and buildings to explore. The game starts there, but I guess it's not quite what OP thought of as a starter town, since you use it as a base for much of the game (
all of it, or half of it, depending on a big choice halfway into the game
).

sIzIC5c.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
Truce from Chrono Trigger
Onett from Earthbound
Rogue Port from Paper Mario The thousand year Door
Twilight Town from KH2

Denton

Santa Monica from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, one of the most atmospheric games ever:

santamonica_b.png

White Orchard for the peaceful, rural atmosphere:

bielysad7pu4f.png

No love for Skyloft from Skyward Sword? The colors, the pinwheels, the music, the pumpkins! It's definitely my favorite starter town aesthetically.

Besides that my top 3 would be:
Crysta from Terranigma
Colony 9 from Xenoblade
Kakariko Village from Link to the Past

Top Bottom