• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2014 Awards - All about the games [Voting ends Jun 15th 23:59]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadboban

Man this E3 was so great for every company that it's gonna be REALLY hard to lower my list to just 10 games. After thinking it through for a bit, here is my top 10

1) Xenoblade Chronicles X
2) Zelda U
3) Bayonetta 2
4) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
5) Super Smash Bros for Wii U
6) Batman: Arkham Knight
7) No Man's Sky
8) Bloodborne
9) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Honorable Mentions: Seriously I could probably switch a lot of these in an out with my current top 10 and not have any problems, it was that close. Games like Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound, Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, The Division, Rainbow Six Siege, Splatoon, Inside(New game from Playdead, the guys that made Limbo), Ori and The Blind Forest, Abzu, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Alien: Isolation and I'm probably missing a few as well. This E3 was fucking packed!

1. Bloodborne
2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
3. No Man's Sky
4. Grim Fandago
5. MGS V
6. Fantasy Life
7. Abzu
8. Far Cry 4
9. Mortal Kombat X
10. Destiny

1. Bloodborne
2. MGSV
3. Destiny
4. Driveclub
5.No Man's Sky
6. Sunset Overdrive
7. Zelda
8. Little Big Planet 3
9. The Order 1886
10. Rainbow 6 Siege

TripOpt55

Here is mine:

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End: Amazing graphics, love Naughty Dog and the series, trailer got me the most hyped of anything.
2. Far Cry 4: I think this had the best overall showing. More verticality. More ways to traverse. Vehicle takedowns. And riding an elephant into battle. Looks amazingly fun.
3. Zelda Wii U: Big huge explorable overworld was my biggest wish for the new Zelda and it looks like I'm getting that. Artstyle and landscape looked unbelievably beautiful too.
4. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris: It's weird how much more a 4-player co-op game manages to tick the necessary boxes for a Tomb Raider game than the reboot did, but Temple of Osiris does. Demo had all the things that made the first so fun plus a couple extra players and an awesome new setting.
5. Sunset Overdrive: Looks like everything I'd want from a new IP by Insomniac. An Open-world R&C that ties platforming right into the combat. Plus 8-player co-op! Sounds so good.
6. LittleBigPlanet 3: I love LBP and adding Sack animals is great idea. Love the new abilities. Love the greater depth in the layers of the world. Lots of potential there.
7. Ori and the Blind Forest: Nicest surprise I think. The artstyle is so lovely. Story looks really touching. Gameplay looks really fun. I'm in.
8. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: I have yet to play 3D World (still need to buy a Wii U), so I had no idea about these levels, so this game's announcement really caught me off guard. Looks like a nice twist on the puzzle genre and I like when Nintendo gives other characters in the Mario series a chance to have their own game (like Yoshi, Luigi or Peach).
9. No Man’s Sky: The world just looks so wonderful and I can't wait to explore it.
10. Rise of the Tomb Raider: Well I wasn't the biggest fan of the reboot, but am hoping that they return to the series roots with this one. I liked the bear in the trailer! Also Lara looks great in a hoodie. I shouldn't have gotten so excited by the trailer, but I have too much history with the series to stop myself I guess.

That will do it. I could list about 10 more. It was a great E3.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
1. Bloodborne
2. Zelda Wii U
3. No Man's Sky
4. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
5. Sunset Overdrive
6. Cuphead
7. Uncharted 4
8. Grim Fandango
9. Hyrule Warriors
10. Yoshi's Woolly World

Principate

Saint Titanfall
1) Bayonetta 2
2) Witcher 3
3) The Legend of Zelda
4) Bloodborne
5) Captain Toad: Treasure tracker
6) Sunset Overdrive
7) Xenoblade Ch X
8) No Man's sky
9) Splatoon
10)Super Smash bro's

Zabuza

Banned
1. Bloodborne
2. No Man's Sky
3. MGSV
4. The Witcher 3
5. Uncharted 4
6. Super Smash Bros.
7. Ori and the Blind Forest
8. Far Cry 4
9. Driveclub
10. Splatoon

1 - No Man's Sky
2 - Yoshi's Wooly World
3 - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
4 - Rainbow Six: Siege
5 - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

(Special mention: Assassin's Creed: Unity, Bloodborne, Middle-Earth, Splatoon, Ori and the Blind Forest, Kirby Wii U, Batman: Arkham Knight, Far Cry 4)

muteant

1. Zelda Wii U
2. Bayonetta 2
3. Bloodborne
4. Smash Bros Wii U
5. Yoshi's Wooly World
6. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
7. Splatoon
8. Mario Maker
9. Sunset Overdrive
10. Uncharted 4

footnotes:
1. really worried the game can't possibly live up to what this teaser does to my imagination.
2. significant uptick in visuals, and looks like it's hellbent on one-upping its already batshit insane predecessor
3. i saw the "closed-door" off-hands demo in the sony area, and the framerate was just AWFUL. but putting that temporary problem aside ... wow, guys. you all are going to lose your shit.
4. if the netcode delivers, it'll usurp melee for the definitive game in the series.
5 & 6. artstyle champs, and both played really well on the showfloor, with suggestions they could become quite challenging beyond the first few worlds.
7. was really fun the first go around; remains to be seen whether it will be deep enough in a tactical sense to have staying power.
8. depending on how expansive the final product turns out to be, this could be way too low on the list. the stage building interface itself is perfectly streamlined.
9. very pretty and refreshingly fun-focused
10. i have no hopes for the series's gameplay to be shaken up and/or improved, but it's going to be a technical marvel, and i'll find it worthwhile playing through for that reason alone.

Darksol

1. Bloodborne
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
3. MGSV: The Phantom Pain
4. No Man's Sky
5. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
6. Abzu
7. The Great War: Valiant Hearts
8. The Order: 1886
9. Far Cry 4
10. Hotline Miami 2

Amir0x

Banned
1. Bloodborne
2. Zelda: Wii U
3. No Man's Sky
4. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
5. Sunset Overdrive
6. Forza Horizon 2
7. Bayonetta 2
8. Xenoblade Chronicles X
9. Abzû
10. Halo: Master Chief Collection

FOOTNOTES:

1. This is everything I wanted and more so. Even though it's clearly inspired by Demon/Dark Souls, it is its own entity, a more active participation in which your shotgun quickfires and stuns the enemy, and the transformation in of itself of your weaponry is an attack. Super dense, it seems videogames are now in the realm of fulfilling dreams.
2. I was not surprised Zelda was finally shown at E3 2014; I was surprised at the high level of visual quality they seemingly managed to pull out of an open world game on the Wii U. The draw distance is endless; possiblities? Also endless. Cel-shaded visuals cherry on top. Just hope it's harder than typical modern Zelda.
3. No Man's Sky is the type of indie game that will single handedly change your perception of what indies are capable of. Destroying AAA developers, this is the space exploration game most people have asked for: seamlessly enter planets and start exploring, or start an expedition into the universe. Since it's procedural, literally billions of potential planets you could visit, all unique in some way or another.
4. The visuals alone are enough for me to go through the stratosphere. Seriously. Remarkable. But I also enjoyed Witcher 1/2 gameplay, so go CD Projekt!
5. Such a "pure" videogame: Tony Hawk with guns only begins to scratch the surface of how fun this title looks. Gorgeous artistic direction, decent tongue-in-cheek gamer wank humour, and a gameplay concept so appealing it alone is almost seemingly justifying the Xbox One for me.
6. Forza Horizon was already a great game; the shift into true 'go anywhere open world racing' means my mind is alight with possibilities. Off road racing <3
7. Sequel to one of the greatest action combat games of all time, and every video we get looks better than the last.
8. I finally got to play Xenoblade on the Wii six months ago, round about. That's enough to make me extremely excited about this, even if it didn't look rad on its own merits.
9. Journey was something I never expected to enjoy, but I did. I'm not saying this is a pseudo follow up for whomever likes that game, but the attractive visual prowess on display and originality of thought behind the game makes it supremely exciting.
10. So much value my head hurts.

1. Zelda Wii U (WOW!)
2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
3. Smash Bros
4. Uncharted 4
5. The Evil Within
6. Bayonetta 2
7. Hyrule Warrior's
8. Cap'n Toad Treasure Hunter
9. 1886
10. Splatoon

Off the top of my head. I wanted to take more time with the list but if I don't fill it out now I'm afraid I won't get to it.

Looking at my list there are far more Nintendo games than I expected prior to e3.

so1337

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Bloodborne
3. Splatoon
4. Far Cry 4
5. Forza Horizon 2
6. Sunset Overdrive
7. Yoshi's Wooly World
8. Bayonetta 2
9. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
10. Ori and the Blind Forest

If Zelda is everything Aounama makes it out to be, it will be the game to end all games. Bloodborne looks like a Victorian Souls game with an exciting new coat of paint. Splatoon, Sunset Overdrive and Far Cry 4 seem like a shift in the shooter genre, moving away from stale military borefests to vibrant and unashamedly creative playgrounds. Yoshi's Wooly World looks like it could be the Yoshi's Island follow-up that I always wanted. Kirby and Bayonetta 2 are sequels to some of the best games in their respective genre.

mcbradle

Neo Member
I'm actually going to stay away from remasters or re-releases of things. Also, I was underwhelmed this year. Not much gameplay anywhere, mostly trailers and dev diaries.

1. No Man's Sky - IMHO one of the most original and ambitious games. Things like this push developers to raise the bar.

2. The Legend of Zelda Wii U (Untitled) - While I wanted a Metroid or Star Fox or some other Nintendo IP, the fact that they are completely reevaluating the world and progression/dungeons of Zelda makes me excited. Plus, Skyrim with Zelda sounds like it could be awesome if delivered.

3. Civilization: Beyond Earth - the Civ games manage to not spam their new releases, so each one is cherished for me. SO HYPED for this.

4. Forza Horizon 2 - In a year missing NFS and The Crew/DriveClub both looking "meh", a return to this great concept in Forza is certainly welcomed.

5. The Order: 1886 - Yes, another 3rd person shooter. But cinematically and technically impressive and interesting. Seems to have a cool atmosphere.

6. The Division - Would be higher if it was still this year. Looks solid and the online aspect actually looks like it could add to the experience.

7. Batman: Arkham Knight - I love Batman, and I love the Arkham games. But, sadly, fatigue is setting in a bit. Still going to be a solid game, though.

8. Mortal Kombat X - Hard to put higher when it's not completely demo ready, but still looking forward to it. The NetherRealm fighters are the only ones I really play.

9. Far Cry 4 - Excited for more of Far Cry 3, but also...well, it's more of Far Cry 3 with some paint on it. Hoping there's more revealed that sets this game apart from 3.

10. Dragon Age: Inquisition - After DAII's wonky story and weird "fast forwarding" stuff, I'm cautiously optimistic for this one.

Truphenom

1- Rainbow Six Siege
2- The Division
3- Halo: The Master Chief Collection
4- Batman Arkham Knight
5- No Man's Sky
6- Witcher 3
7- Dragon Age Inquisition
8- Zelda
9- Destiny
10- Battlefield Hardline

Honorable mentions to Pokemon, Assassins Creed, Scalebound, and Mortal Kombat.

Mr. Patch

1. Super Smash Bros.
2. Bayonetta 2
3. Batman: Arkham Knight
4. No Man's Sky
5. Splatoon
6. Bloodbourne
7. Destiny
8. Sunset Overdrive
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Scalebound

1. Uncharted 4
2. No Man's Sky
3. Rainbow Six: Siege
4. Assassin's Creed: Unity
5. Evolve
6. Far Cry 4
7. Sunset Overdrive
8. Ori and the Blind Forest
9. Hotline Miami 2
10. Valiant Hearts

Wolff

1 - BloodBorne
2 - Uncharted 4
3 - The Legend of Zelda Wii U
4 - Grim Fandango
5 - The Order: 1886
6 - Lords of the Fallen
7- The Evil Within
8- The Witcher 3
9- Mario Maker
10- No Man's Sky

The First three are basically sequels to three of some of my favorite series, that went really well last gen and are coming back with really impressive stuff.

1. Bayonetta 2
2. Smash Bros. Wii U
3. Bayonetta 1
4. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
5. Shovel Knight
6. Zelda Wii U
7. The Evil Within
8. Ori and the Blind Forest
9. Xenoblade Chronicles X
10. Scalebound

Boogiepop

1. Splatoon
2. Bayonetta 2
3. Fantasy Life
4. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
5. Yoshi's Wooly World
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X
7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
8. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
9. Code Name: STEAM
10. Legend of Zelda Wii U

I'll admit I'm a Nintendo guy, but they brought it STRONG this year, and Treehouse Live kind of made E3 into nearly a purely Nintendo event for me. Sunset Overdrive deserves an honorable mention and may have made it if Nintendo didn't wow me too hard with Splatoon, killing the love I could feel for any other shooter this E3. I also wasn't a fan of all the CG reveals. Zelda just barely made it in because of hype, and Bloodbourne didn't make my list at all because of this (though I'm sure the game will be great). More or less similar comment to Scalebound or w/e it ended up being called. Hyrule Warriors also managed the biggest turnaround for me from last reveal to E3 showing and almost made the list. Also, I'm sure I'll love the Pokemon R/S remakes, and I'm super looking forward to MH4U, but I didn't feel either had much of a strong E3 presence so opted to leave them off my list.

Seriously, though, freaking Splatoon. I would've called you crazy if you told me pre-E3 that a shooter of all things would not only make my top 10 list, but top it!

1. Zelda Wii U
2. No Man's Sky
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X
4. Smash Bros 4
5. Bloodborne
6. Hyrule Warriors
7. Captain Toad
8. Far Cry 4
9. Batman: Arkham Knight
10. Splatoon

I just want to mention2 things:

First: I seriously can't remember the last time I was as pumped about a game as I am Zelda Wii U. The whole reveal was amazing. The graphics, the art style, the open world, the scope of it, etc. Pure fucking magic. Reminds me of seeing Mario 64 in Diehard Gamefan (RIP) for the first time as a teenager. This might be my most anticipated game ever.

Second: This was a great fucking E3. If it wasn't for the crazy amount of leaks and pre show announcements we would all be blown away. I actually struggled making the list of the above 10 games. A lot of comments are being made about everything being delayed into 2015. To be honest, I think there is more awesomeness coming out this fall than I will have time to play and even MORE than that in 2015. Somehow. It's a glorious time to be a gamer my friends.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X
2. Hyrule Warriors
3. Bloodborne
4. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
5. No Man's Sky
6. Bayonetta 2
7. Grim Fandango
8. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
9. Yoshi's Wooly World
10. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

I'd put Zelda there, but I don't really feel hyped. I think I'd need to see a trailer or something.

1. No Man's Sky
2. Grim Fandango
3. Zelda
4. Uncharted 4
5. Destiny
6. Sunset Overdrive
7. Tom Clancy's House Fucking
8. The Division
9. Phantom Dust
10. Bro Force and other Bro games

hughesta

Banned
1. The Legend Of Zelda
2. Bayonetta 2
3. Splatoon
4. Kirby And The Rainbow Curse
5. Bloodborne
6. Inside
7. Xenoblade Chronicles X
8. Uncharted 4
9. Super Smash Bros For 3DS
10. Hyrule Warriors

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2. Alien: Isolation
3. Grim Fandango Remastered
4. The Last of Us Remastered
5. The Order: 1886
6. Rise of the Tomb Raider
7. Mirror's Edge 2
8. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
9. Inside
10. Assassin's Creed Unity

spideydouble

Neo Member
1. Assassin's Creed: Unity
2. Tom Clancy's The Division
3. Zelda Wii U
4. Ori and the Blind Forest
5. Batman: Arkham Knight
6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
8. Forza Horizon 2
9. No Man's Sky
10. Inside

Best E3 Games

1. Zelda Wii U
2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
3. Super Smash Brothers for Wii U
4. Sunset Overdrive
5. Splatoon
6. Devil's Third
7. Bayonetta 2
8. Bloodborne
9. Batman: Arkham Knight
10. Mario Maker

The scoring system works well for my top ten:

1-3 Will be favorites of all time.
4-6 Really interested and looks like fun.
7-10 Will play and enjoy.

1. I was afraid after Link Between Worlds and the reference to the original Zelda that the new one would have an overhead view luckily I was wrong. Instead the game was what I wanted it to be., wide open exploration. Something I loved about Twilight Princess and I didn't feel I got from Wind Waker or Skyward Sword. Aonuma's new talk about puzzles base on following information is exactly what I want to hear.

The art style is also amazing. It's an evolution of Skyward Sword and the art style I feel Zelda should have. Looks incredible.

2. The amazing Xenoblade with the space opera elements of prior Xeno games along with huge monsters and real-time mech change.

3. I love Smash and will spend over hundred hours playing this game to unlock everything.
How Mii's work with specific types, alternate moves and costumes is exactly what I wanted.

The Amiibos look great and I will get them all.

4. The mobility of Jet Set Radio with crazy weapons and a colorful art style in an open-world. Looks great.

5. Really interesting gameplay wise and I love the presentation of this.

6. Looks like stupid janky fun. The main story seems to combine craziness and hedonism with a serious tale of war. I can sense the stupidity of this.

The multiplayer though is where I'm most excited. Tons of customization options, modes like throwing fruit into a blender and following a rainbow line of chickens. Hope a consistent online community can form.

7. Both games with Nintendo costumes and online co-op? Excellent package.

8. Like the look. Should be interesting.

9. It's Batman. It means I'll definitely have a lot of fun but it won't blow me over.

10. A few games could have taken this slot but I'll give it to Mario Maker because the ability to switch styles and custom music. It looks pretty good.

1. Splatoon
2. Zelda U
3. Smash Bros U
4. Bayonetta 2
5. No Mans Sky
6. Yoshis Woolly World
7. Captain Toad
8. Bloodborne
9. ABZU
10. Xenoblade X

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
1. Zelda U
2. Splatoon
3. No Man's Sky
4. Evolve
5. Captain Toad
6. Smash Bros
7. The Witcher 3
8. Bayonetta 2
9. Master Chief Collection
10. Destiny

I'm missing a lot of games and a lot more indie titles I'm super interested in... but I might as well give the heavy hitters their point values. :\

Great E3

LOCK

1. The Legend of Zelda Wii U
2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
3. The Witcher 3
4. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
5. Xenoblade Chronicles X
6. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
7. Batman Arkham Knight
8. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
9. Yoshi's Wooly World
10. Splatoon

Very Nintendo heavy. After making this list I realized, we've had an excellent E3. I could easily make a top 25 lol. 2015 could be the year of the forever.

klee123

1. Bloodborne
2. Guilty Gear Xrd
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X
4. Uncharted 4
5. Bayonetta 2
6. MGSV
7. Zelda Wii U
8. The Order 1886
9. Far Cry 4
10. Final Fantasy Type 0 HD

1. Splatoon
2. MGSV: The Phantom Pain
3. Bloodborne
4. Bayonetta 2
5. The Division
6. Far Cry 4
7. Rainbow 6
8. Zelda U
9. Smash Bros
10. Halo Collection

molnizzle

1. Bloodborne
2. No Man's Sky
3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
4. Destiny
5. Forza Horizon 2
6. Rise of the Tomb Raider
7. Halo: The Master Chief Collection
8. Batman: Arkham Knight
9. Sunset Overdrive
10. Mortal Kombat X

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X
2. Splatoon
3. Super Smash Bros
4. Bayonetta 2
5. Bloodborne
6. Zelda U
7. Hyrule Warriors
8. Halo Collection
9. Ori and the Blind Forest
10. Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.

1. No Man's Sky
2. The Witcher 3
3. Grim Fandango
4. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
5. Batman: Arkham Knight
6. Sunset Overdrive

No Man's Sky seems truly interesting an original. If the gameplay is up to the rest it is going to be a great game.

AJTsuki

Neo Member
1. No Man's Sky
2. Bayonetta 1+2
3. Super Smash Bros.
4. Fantasy Life
5. Civilization: Beyond Earth
6. Mario Maker
7. Grim Fandango
8. Costume Quest 2
9. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
10. Lovers In A Dangerous Space Time

What a great year for Nintendo and Indies alike. Sony and MS showed some good stuff, but I guess I'm just tired of running around an environment shooting dudes, regardless of how good it looks.

Great E3, though. Now when can I Amiibo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom