• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2014 Awards

jmizzal

Yes Zelda WiiU wins return of the king

l66D5sD.jpg

I don't think we saw enough of Bloodborne to really justify this. Nice to see Sunset Overdrive get a nod, and I completely agree about the surprises. Interesting to see how overlooked the add-ons are at E3. I thought Second Light's stand alone expansion was one of the coolest showings. Only 17 votes...

gngf123

I don't see why Splatoon is so popular. Is it just that it's a Nintendo title that was revealed at E3?

It is a unique take on a tired genre, with original game mechanics that are very simple to understand but have a lot of potential for tactical depth and a high skill ceiling. If you want story it isn't going to be for you, but the gameplay looked miles ahead of anything else at E3.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The votings were very close this year. I don't have a graph that shows this but at some point No Man's Sky was going to win over the other two which ended up being quite close and I was really hoping for it to win.

Not because I voted for it myself, but because I wanted to make an animated gif with lots of small animated gifs within them just like they described their robot does to human-check their planet seeding algorithm. ;-)

Nothing I can disagree with, I thought GTA V would be higher though. That Halo Collection is very impressive though
5 points away from Grim Fandango! Insane.

Smash Bros is a party game, but nice try.

No seriously, I missed the voting thread, what the hell! :(

Good to see Zelda at #1, where it belongs.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I find categories weird because so many modern games are mixing stuff. Fighting and racing games are the last bastion of clearly defined boundaries so that's why I choose those.

That's cool. Thanks for all your hard work! It's much appreciated.

Timeaisis

It looks ok, nothing extraordinary. The hype seems more due to the nature of Nintendo fandom than the game itself.

This again? I could have zero interest in Nintendo and would still think Splatoon is the game of the show. It just looks damn fun and has some incredibly fresh game mechanics. I said it before in other threads, but I could totally see a less Steam-focused Valve make a game like Splatoon (the style is charming like TF2 while the mechanics are incredibly fresh like Portal 1 & 2). That being said, being made by Nintendo is just a nice bonus, because we know it'll be pretty polished at launch.

Sendero

Not surprised by the 5 top titles. Generated most of the talk during this E3.
If any, it's interesting that names like The Order 1886, The Division, AC:Unity, Mass Effect, BF:Hardline,etc didn't capitalize on good will, given how high profile they are supposed to be.

Will be insightful to compare this list, with selling numbers next year (where it applies). Does early interest match with final selling?
Also, is there a way to decide which titles were the "losers" on this E3?

Sendou

Nothing terribly unexpected here. I think I need to finally play the Souls series to understand the hype behind Bloodborne.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Will be insightful to compare this list, with selling numbers next year (where it applies). Does early interest match with final selling?
No.

It isn''t even correlated with final quality most of the time. I've voted for Scribblenauts and Sim City in these E3 votes and we all know how that turned out. :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Not surprised by the 5 top titles. Generated most of the talk during this E3.
If any, it's interesting that names like The Order 1886, The Division, AC:Unity, Mass Effect, BF:Hardline,etc didn't capitalize on good will, given how high profile they are supposed to be.

If Mass Effect was anything other than a sliver of a concept, it would be way higher. If it had gameplay it would be top ten easy.

gngf123

It looks ok, nothing extraordinary. The hype seems more due to the nature of Nintendo fandom than the game itself.

I disagree. It's the first time a new game mechanic has got me this excited since the first time I see Portal. I think that comparison made to Valve is actually pretty accurate.

People are already finding interesting ways to use it, hell we even have our first advanced movement technique ala Melee wavedashing and the game isn't even out yet.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If Mass Effect was anything other than a sliver of a concept, it would be way higher. If it had gameplay it would be top ten easy.

Indeed even a story based teaser trailer would have generated more hype than what they did.
Which is kind of sad

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

Ultimadrago

Yeah, these are my thoughts on it. Looks alright, but that's where the praise ends. The squid girl designs are cute and the mechanic seems fun for some matches, if nothing else. However, it's hardly worthy of a highlight in my book.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No.

It isn''t even correlated with final quality most of the time. I've voted for Scribblenauts and Sim City in these E3 votes and we all know how that turned out. :p

Yeah hype is just hype, opinions change, game quality etc. Never a good indicator.

Plus gaf isn't exactly a representative sample of the mainstream.

Exile20

I disagree. It's the first time a new game mechanic has got me this excited since the first time I see Portal. I think that comparison made to Valve is actually pretty accurate.

People are already finding interesting ways to use it, hell we even have our first advanced movement technique ala Melee wavedashing and the game isn't even out yet.

Splatter dashing?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Surprisingly good results.

Yeah!
Splatoon in top 10
Zelda top spot
Bloodborne number two
Witcher 3 over most other 3rd party titles

Meh...
The Order too high
Uncharted 4 top five
Valiant Hearts only mentioned 32 times

WTF?
People placed DLC in their lists
Someone mentioned Dance Central Spoltlight

massoluk

Banned
Wow, I didn't vote because I felt it's not fair considering I spent the majority of the time watching Treehouse. But the list makes me smile.

gngf123

Splatter dashing?

That's not what people are calling it, but yeah.

In application it won't be anything like wavedashing but it is a faster way to move along the floor. It is done by transforming and creating ink mid air when you squid jump, and then transforming back again before you land.

94a1c53e08.gif

This again? I could have zero interest in Nintendo and would still think Splatoon is the game of the show. It just looks damn fun and has some incredibly fresh game mechanics. I said it before in other threads, but I could totally see a less Steam-focused Valve make a game like Splatoon (the style is charming like TF2 while the mechanics are incredibly fresh like Portal 1 & 2). That being said, being made by Nintendo is just a nice bonus, because we know it'll be pretty polished at launch.

I could be wrong, it just seems like it has the right factors to make it a fan campaign. It might be that great.

Lernaean

Banned
Top Bottom