• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Best of E3 2014 Awards

SykoTech

My thoughts:

-Everything was 2015.

-Way too much Zelda considering how little was actually shown. It's just going to show up at next year's E3 and probably win again. How exciting. But it is the prime exclusive for Nintendo fanatics to rally behind, so not exactly surprising. But I hope next year they show something really good so it will actually be a well deserved win.

-Same goes for Uncharted 4, though it thankfully didn't get THAT much love. I guess Bloodborne stole most of it's "rally behind exclusive sequel/successor" support. :p

-No Man's Sky....I really want to love this one. The space transitions and "fly to any planet" concepts are amazing. But I need more detail about the ground gameplay. Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember seeing much. I hope you just don't walk around and look at the pretty animals and environments.

-Nice for Splatoon. Always nice to see an actual surprise with some significant gameplay get recognized, unlike games like Zelda and Uncharted which hardly showed anything (Zelda in particular was confirmed way too far in advance to show up with nothing but that little snippet). I think the style of the game is great as well, though it's a shame the in-game models are nowhere near as good as the concept art. Map design and gameplay options also leave more to be desired at the moment, but no sweat. Plenty of time to reveal more.

-Arkham Knight got robbbbbed.

-WTF is The Last Guardian even doing on the list? Lol.

Azure J

Wow, Zelda cleaned up shop in one go. Impressive. Smash isn't a slouch either. Surprised that I didn't see more Abzu hype though. Splatoon and No Man's Sky being so universally loved is making me smile. :')

kitsuneyo

Massive respect and thanks for putting this together OP.

Four Nintendo games in the top 10, five in the top 11. They did good!

Splatoon making a massive impact, really hope it delivers!

Usobuko

Banned
The Division, Metal Gear Solid V won last years for GAF so it's only natural that more people are hype for new stuff.

javac

I just went out to compare this list to top media sources... and I probably shouldn't have.

IGN's nominations are horrid, holy shit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/12/igns-best-of-e3-2014-awards

Thank you for being GAF, GAF

Oh wow, Gamespot's is probably worse: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-gamespot-s-best-of-e3-2014-winners/1100-6420468/

No Splatoon, Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles X, just... wat

I watched the Giant Bomb E3 Coverage Uncovered video and it was basically a behind the scenes video showing them going to booths and doing interviews etc. Really cool video but I noticed something. No Nintendo mentions at all. Even during the 3 days where they had a bunch of videos with guests talking about the cool stuff at E3. I realised that the press don't even give a shit. Whenever they'd mention Nintendo they'd be really positive, but it'd be really uninspired in tone. "Yeah Nintendo was good...yeah *crickets*"

They'd rather play Evolve and Aliens and such than Yoshi and Splatoon. Nothing wrong with that I guess! It's kinda fascinating but yeah the press totally ignore Nintendo games at E3 for some reason. I guess that's why Nintendo did the Treehouse coverage. Nobody else would give them screen-time so they created their own outlet.

Man

Bloodborne was my number one followed by Destiny and No Man's Sky.
Happy to see two of them make the top three.

I watched the Giant Bomb E3 Coverage Uncovered video and it was basically a behind the scenes video showing them going to booths and doing interviews etc. Really cool video but I noticed something. No Nintendo mentions at all. Even during the 3 days where they had a bunch of videos with guests talking about the cool stuff at E3. I realised that the press don't even give a shit. Whenever they'd mention Nintendo they'd be really positive, but it'd be really uninspired in tone. "Yeah Nintendo was good...yeah *crickets*"

They'd rather play Evolve and Aliens and such than Yoshi and Splatoon. Nothing wrong with that I guess! It's kinda fascinating but yeah the press totally ignore Nintendo games at E3 for some reason. I guess that's why Nintendo did the Treehouse coverage. Nobody else would give them screen-time so they created their own outlet.

Pretty much.

JDSN

Banned

Its Giant Bomb, they dont talk about Nintendo and that uninspired joyless tone is how they describe everything that involves gaming or fun.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
-Way too much Zelda considering how little was actually shown. It's just going to show up at next year's E3 and probably win again. How exciting. But it is the prime exclusive for Nintendo fanatics to rally behind, so not exactly surprising. But I hope next year they show something really good so it will actually be a well deserved win.
Repeat E3ers don't get that much support.

I don't think Zelda can win two years in a row.

I'm surprised at how high The Witcher 3 is given that its it second E3.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Repeat E3ers don't get that much support.

I don't think Zelda can win two years in a row.

I'm surprised at how high The Witcher 3 is given that its it second E3.

Well I can't that imagine many go into E3 wanting to find out new information for a game announced a year ago. It's all about the "megatons" and new games

Mortemis

Banned
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix with 4 votes? I wasn't expecting top 10, but still..

Hold me KHGaf.

I have December locked down for this (unless smash comes out). So yeah I'm super excited, I just didn't put it in my list since I didn't include any remakes.

Thinking back though I really should've, since I never played BBS and I'm pumped to finally get to play it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Kinda sad that in a year in which Nintendo showed so much gameplay of many of their games, it's still the one game they showed basically nothing of that won.

splatoon wasn't in my top 10, but it certainly is in my top 15. Great E3, lots of great games, and great remasters (Halo, GTA V, The Last of Us and of course the remaster of grim fandango!!).

dat Zelda hype, not only it won best of E3 on GAF, but it also was the biggest E3 news for both gamespot and ign. Not surprising in my opinion though, it was in my first place because of how much I love this franchise, the possibilities of what an open world zelda can be, and all dat grass.

lovely top 10. The rest of the list is pretty great too.

I'm surprised Zelda got the top prize when Nintendo showed fuck all about that game. Oh well, I guess people only needed to hear the words "Zelda" and "open world."

Crazy town. At least you guys got one of the top 3 correct. (Insert 'smiley face with his tongue sticking out so you know I'm only poking fun' here.)

Jintor

Yeah, these are my thoughts on it. Looks alright, but that's where the praise ends. The squid girl designs are cute and the mechanic seems fun for some matches, if nothing else. However, it's hardly worthy of a highlight in my book.

Drago sir! Can you not see how the changed focus of battle and the ink-based abilities, not to mention the potential for crazy mind games and traversal options, contain the seeds of great potential to flip the entire genre around? Hand in your nichijou avatar

kitsuneyo

I wonder if any sites will pick this thread up as a story, since GAF is the premier gaming community and actually managed to put together a killer top 3?

Those IGN and GameSpot lists... oh lord.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

I'm inclined to think it's because of the Treehouse that Nintendo was ignored. Nintendo is now competing directly with media outlets for coverage, and during the most important event of the year, no less. It would make sense that the strategy going in is to either snuff out Nintendo or simply not compete with them because Treehouse will have the better coverage. Nintendo is walking a fine line here, it's pretty nuts. I'm just hoping we've come to a time where social media and word of mouth can spread news faster and better than games media.

When you have a list of best Wii U games at E3 from IGN that looks like this:

Super Smash Bros.
Mario Maker
Yoshi's Woolly World
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Xenoblade Chronicles X

It's perpetuating an idea that Nintendo did not show unique titles, mature titles, or anything out of the ordinary like Splatoon, Bayonetta, Devil's Third, Hyrule Warriors, etc.

Wow, Horizon 2 with the steal. Didn't expect that at all. Well deserved though, looks fantastic, but DC is where it's at with its PGR-esque gameplay.

Also surprised by Sunset. You uaually tend to see people writing it off as generic or a game that lacks appeal.

KxoZz

Was expecting more nintendo stuff in the top 10 after their showing

but looks like what i would put in my top 10 also

Canucked

Surprising list, honestly.

But I'm cool with it. Batman didn't rank too low.
I wonder how many of those games will end up on next year's best of E3 list.

spekkeh

Banned
The top 10 is four Nintendo exclusives, two and a half PS4 exclusives (no man's sky is a timed exclusive?), two and a half multiplats. GG Nintendo.
Xbone am cry

gngf123

The top 10 is four Nintendo exclusives, two and a half PS4 exclusives (no man's sky is a timed exclusive?), two and a half multiplats. GG Nintendo.
Xbone am cry

No Man's Sky isn't exclusive at all, pretty sure it's getting a PC version.

EDIT: Although after looking, I keep seeing PC is TBA. Strange, I am sure I see otherwise before.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Xbone am cry

I believe they said timed Console exclusive. So I'm guessing PC release first or at the same time as PS4.

I approve of this list, although I wish GTAV was given some more love.

Well, even though GTA V will be a fucking amazing remaster, with new details and everything, it is still a remaster. i will buy it, the last of us remaster and grim remaster because these three games are some of my favorites of all time, but it's easy to understand why these remasters wouldn't break into the top spots

AAK

Top 10 games that SHOWED LIVE GAMEPLAY (tech demo's disqualified too):

1. Bloodborne
2. The Witcher 3
3. Super Smash Bros.
4. Splatoon
5. Batman: Arkham Knight
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X
7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
8. Bayonetta 2
9. Sunset Overdrive
10. Destiny

That looks much more deserving.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Smash Bros is a party game, but nice try.
serious? I have to wonder if people who say this have ever spent more time with the game than 20 minutes with all items and no stocks turned on. Not only is it a fighting game but also a breath of fresh air among the standard "life bar, best 2 out of 3" fighter format. that's the beauty of the game.. it can be a FFA 4-player smash fest (aka party game) or a 1v1 fighter up there with the best of them. the amount of depth and appeal in the game is off the charts no matter the audience.

Top Bottom