• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

My guess is a Vita TV-like thing will be the new Switch. Which I said from day one the Switch reveal, that Nintendo could do a hybrid, a only portable and a only TV. Also, upgrading after a few years to maintain backwards compability

iconmaster

Banned
This is similar to what I was thinking. I think we're going to see 3DS and Wii U games coming to the Nintendo Switch Next(Pro).
I'd go even farther and say if Nintendo decided to build in the 3D for the new model, it would be incredible.

I wondering if this is why they've been silent. Again, the Covid pandemic probably screwed up their plans which
was to introduce the "Nintendo Switch Next" console with showing off ports of 3DS and Wii U games(Especially
their own "first party" games). I wonder if this coincides with all the Super Mario remake/remaster rumors?

Something is afoot at Nintendo. Get ready for the "Nintendo Switch Next" at $399. Also get ready for iconmaster iconmaster
to pop in! Cheers! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_sunglasses: 🤞

Since you rang, I'll bite.

I don't think 3DS or Wii U games require a new Switch model -- we've got plenty of Wii U ports already, and they run even better on Switch.

There'll be a Switch successor of some kind, I have no doubt. My contention has only ever been that it'll be a new generation and not a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X half-step. Nintendo isn't going to release a new console just to run existing games better, which is what Sony and Microsoft did.

Ok guys I've been playing New Horizons a lot and it's official, Tom Nook is the greatest gaming character of all time. He's such a lovable piece of shit asshole, it's amazing how they continuously make him this greedy fuck and yet such wholesome dude. I have to wonder how much of AC's success is due to how great they made him from day one.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Since you rang, I'll bite.

I don't think 3DS or Wii U games require a new Switch model -- we've got plenty of Wii U ports already, and they run even better on Switch.

There'll be a Switch successor of some kind, I have no doubt. My contention has only ever been that it'll be a new generation and not a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X half-step. Nintendo isn't going to release a new console just to run existing games better, which is what Sony and Microsoft did.

Feels like Nintendo's treating the Switch more like their portables, though, and between the Game Boy Color, DSi, and New 3DS.... I'm inclined to think they'll go the half-step route again.

Woopah

Feels like Nintendo's treating the Switch more like their portables, though, and between the Game Boy Color, DSi, and New 3DS.... I'm inclined to think they'll go the half-step route again.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a Switch Pro launch alongside BOTW2 in March next year. Not sure if it would replace the current model or if the current model drops to $249.

I started playing Smash again for funsies and it makes me realize how much I wish this game had a better traditional arcade mode for SP.

Previous titles did it better, "smash" mode doesn't cut it for SP if I want to practice against multiple characters. Classic mode is just way too short with most chars. I really just want a SF2 style arcade mode with 8 randomized fights in a best of 3 that I can adjust the difficulty against.

Woopah

So I've been looking at Nintendo's internal teams and I'm very curious what Yabuki and EPD9 are up to. They are one of the few teams where we are due to get a game from them soon and there are no concrete rumours of what they could be up to.

The only thing they've worked on since Arms is Mario Kart Tour, so they must have a Switch game coming soon right?

Zannegan

So I've been looking at Nintendo's internal teams and I'm very curious what Yabuki and EPD9 are up to. They are one of the few teams where we are due to get a game from them soon and there are no concrete rumours of what they could be up to.

The only thing they've worked on since Arms is Mario Kart Tour, so they must have a Switch game coming soon right?
An Arms 2 that lets you move with the joysticks and opens the play space up for non-chained multiplayer (i.e. just make it a Stretch Armstrong arena shooter) is my dream.

The IP's potential as a fighting game is pretty limited IMO. It felt like the core idea was already pretty well played out by the end of Arms 1. Where do you go from there? What characters and arms could you add to make the idea fresh without making the roster totally cluttered?

As a competitive FPP (first person puncher) along the lines of a Halo, though, it has real promise, especially if you flesh out the moveset a bit (punch down to "rocket jump," grab statues/humanoid shapes to pull self up, etc.) I'd love to have an actual campaign along the lines of an arena shooter too, but I guess the point of Arms was to be able to put something together quickly in time for launch. Not sure a sequel would want to go bigger budget, especially with the original's decent but not spectacular sales.

Last edited:

Woopah

Personally I just want them to release one big Expansion for MK8 including the Tracks from Tour and some more retro tracks alongside new tracks based on Nintendo IP 🤷‍♂️
That would be pretty good! I'm quite surprised they never did DLC for that game.

I would also like a new title to pad out Nintendo's 2020 lineup.

I thought that the PAL retail version of Namco Museum Arcade PAC was completely out-of-print (it was so for months), but apparently the game is available again. As a HUGE fan of classic Namco, I Immediately placed an order because I waited too long last time.

Tesseract

Banned
i might just end it all tonight, we'll see

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Woopah

I'm really curious who did the port. The latest rumor I saw was that it was done by an external developer, not Retro.

Ok guys I've been playing New Horizons a lot and it's official, Tom Nook is the greatest gaming character of all time. He's such a lovable piece of shit asshole, it's amazing how they continuously make him this greedy fuck and yet such wholesome dude. I have to wonder how much of AC's success is due to how great they made him from day one.

Is he even better than Wario at conning you for money? Damn that's some commitment!

Any clue on the ARMS Smash character? I am betting it is Twintelle.

And at this point, I just want another 2D Metroid and Pikmin 4 to make this year a good one....oh and Drill Dozer 2 (I am that weird fan that likes SEGA but likes Nintendo's obscure stuff)

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you want to play Metroid, take your fate in your own hands.

Put Dolphin on your PC. Find a CRT and an old GameCube. Maybe even find some kind of upscaler? Not all that sure how the last one works.

Granted, it won’t be portable, and all official and cool, but this year should be a reminder that the luxury of time isn’t always afforded to us. So, go have fun with the things you want, when you want, instead of waiting for it to line up with some corporation’s business plan for the year.

I’m almost convinced we’ll see MPT when MP4 comes out, and that could very well be years away. If it doesn’t get cancelled again. Retro hasn’t been in the best shape either.

Due to Corona, a lot of Nintendo's schedule has probably been changed. I'd like to take this chance and revise my own speculation for Nintendo's bigger plans for 2020 and beyond.

2020:
- Xenoblade DE is next
- Super Mario 3D World for summer
- Mario Allstars 2 for fall
- Fire Emblem: Tellius Saga remake
- Monster Hunter 5 for Switch (now or never; true sequel to MH4, ignoring the 'free, dynamic' battle of World; zones are back, underwater is back, + one big new feature)
- Monolith Soft's medieval a-rpg (*if* XboxSX and PS5 are delayed to next year)

2021:
- Switch 2 launches in March
- BotW 2 same day as Switch 2
- also Mario Kart 9
- no 1st-party exclusives for Switch 2; every Nintendo-game supports both generation; iphone strategy; 3rd-parties free to do whatever they want
- Mario Universe in fall
- Xenoblade 3 end of year
- basically a repeat of the gen 1-Switch' strategy

2022:
- Metroid Prime 4 (re-labeled to Metroid 5) is the big March title
- Shin Megami Tensei 5 releases in the West
- next Pokemon releases; still millions of sales, but for the first time significantly lower sales due to continued lack of ambition
- Astral Chain 2 (massive changes, much more solid sequel, full voice acting)
- new Fire Emblem (open world-srpg, battles can take place anywhere at any given time)

2099*:
- Persona 5 (vanilla) releases on Switch IC (intra cranial)
- Masuda dies at age 132; the next Pokemon (the current one is a smartphone game with sprite-based designs) is the most ambitious Matrix-game and brings world peace as everyone is happy inside the Pokemon world
- climate change kills everyone, but that's our grandchildrens' problem, yolo

(*fun allowed-zone*)

Jooxed

Gold Member

Danny Dudekisser

Due to Corona, a lot of Nintendo's schedule has probably been changed. I'd like to take this chance and revise my own speculation for Nintendo's bigger plans for 2020 and beyond.

2020:
- Xenoblade DE is next
- Super Mario 3D World for summer
- Mario Allstars 2 for fall
- Fire Emblem: Tellius Saga remake
- Monster Hunter 5 for Switch (now or never; true sequel to MH4, ignoring the 'free, dynamic' battle of World; zones are back, underwater is back, + one big new feature)
- Monolith Soft's medieval a-rpg (*if* XboxSX and PS5 are delayed to next year)

2021:
- Switch 2 launches in March
- BotW 2 same day as Switch 2
- also Mario Kart 9
- no 1st-party exclusives for Switch 2; every Nintendo-game supports both generation; iphone strategy; 3rd-parties free to do whatever they want
- Mario Universe in fall
- Xenoblade 3 end of year
- basically a repeat of the gen 1-Switch' strategy

2022:
- Metroid Prime 4 (re-labeled to Metroid 5) is the big March title
- Shin Megami Tensei 5 releases in the West
- next Pokemon releases; still millions of sales, but for the first time significantly lower sales due to continued lack of ambition
- Astral Chain 2 (massive changes, much more solid sequel, full voice acting)
- new Fire Emblem (open world-srpg, battles can take place anywhere at any given time)

2099*:
- Persona 5 (vanilla) releases on Switch IC (intra cranial)
- Masuda dies at age 132; the next Pokemon (the current one is a smartphone game with sprite-based designs) is the most ambitious Matrix-game and brings world peace as everyone is happy inside the Pokemon world
- climate change kills everyone, but that's our grandchildrens' problem, yolo

(*fun allowed-zone*)

If Monolith's new RPG comes out this year, all is forgiven. Even though this is the worst start to a year since like.... what, 2016 when the Wii U had completely shit the bed? Maybe even the worst since the N64 era? It's bad.

If Monolith's new RPG comes out this year, all is forgiven. Even though this is the worst start to a year since like.... what, 2016 when the Wii U had completely shit the bed? Maybe even the worst since the N64 era? It's bad.
I kind of agree with you. I'm enjoying Animal Crossing, but it's not enough for the first 6 months. I really though Nintendo would have had a steady stream of games lined up. Maybe Covid-19 is really screwing things up for their planning? I don't really believe that, but I also don't think Nintendo is planning these droughts.

Danny Dudekisser

I kind of agree with you. I'm enjoying Animal Crossing, but it's not enough for the first 6 months. I really though Nintendo would have had a steady stream of games lined up. Maybe Covid-19 is really screwing things up for their planning? I don't really believe that, but I also don't think Nintendo is planning these droughts.

I skipped Animal Crossing. I dunno, I might get it at some point. Never actually played one of them. I liked Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and obviously, I'm a dirty slut for Xenoblade, so.... it's not nothing, but still a little deflating.

Top Bottom