• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Shaqazooloo

How many Switch-games do you own?

Currently I have 19 physical with my 20th coming in the weekend (DK Tropical Freeze)

And then I have 7 digital games.

I prefer physical all the way. I think I always will. The downside is that a lot of Switch games doesn't end up on a cart or they are hard to find.
10 physical.
34 digital
23 eShop only titles

I prefer digital, it's way more convenient, I am at a point that I may have to upgrade to a 1 tb micro SD card soon though.

Theirs a few games that I just bought because they were on sale and ended up not playing yet, one of them being Mario + Rabbids.

I have a nasty habit of increasing my backlog for no good reason :(

I have a nasty habit of increasing my backlog for no good reason :(

Big ditto for me, unfortunately. I haven't separated out digital vs eShop-only, but my current breakdown is:

35 cartridges
91 digital

The vast majority of digital for me are unavailable physically (and many were impulse on-sale buys) ... other than limited run games, I probably only have 3 or 4 that I could have bought physically.

StormCell

For your first point I actually think that's a reason to launch later. It will be much easier for Nintendo to have hardware capable of PS5 ports at an attractive price in 2023 or 2024 than it will in 2021.

I fully agree with you about the death of the Wii. The number of big releases from Nintendo really dried up after 2010 as they had to move on to support the 3DS and Wii U launches in consecutive years. Now that Nintendo doesn't have to support two launches I expect support in the 2nd half of Switch's life to be wayyyy better than past Nintendo consoles.

Most of Nintendo's studios/partners have released 1 new game on Switch and expect all of them to release at least 2 before the successor comes. As you said Wii declined 21 per cent in its 4th year and it still lasted 6 years. Depending on supply I expect Switch to be 5 to 10 per cent up in its 4th year.

Regarding price, $99 GameCube wasn't exciting Vs a 360, but a $179 3DS was exciting Vs a XB1. I think Switch and the other consoles have a fundamentally different value proposition and don't affect each other too much.

As an aside, thank you both for making such detailed posts :)

I can feel that first point -- it would be a lot easier to have more comparable hardware to the PS5. It's not a bad point.

We will just have to wait and see how this plays out. It will take more games from Nintendo and 2nd parties than we're currently seeing in year 4 for Switch to survive year 5 (2021), year 6 (2022), and year 7 (2023).

If they do this, I have little less confidence they will continue with a "direct" successor to the Switch. The new hardware will switch, no doubt, but it'll have some gimmick that's so different that the entire Switch library is rendered incompatible. I'd give them bonus points if somehow the internet service for it still wasn't ready at launch. LOL

PS. I also appreciate your willingness to keep coming back to such long-winded posts.

Last edited:

StormCell

Do any of you ever feel like you might have a problem when you own ~100 games for a console? I own approximately 25 games for Switch, and I sometimes wonder if I'm possibly spending too much on games, especially since I don't really finish most of them due to them just not being that good.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Do any of you ever feel like you might have a problem when you own ~100 games for a console? I own approximately 25 games for Switch, and I sometimes wonder if I'm possibly spending too much on games, especially since I don't really finish most of them due to them just not being that good.

Lol as i mentioned above I owned 80+ games for switch with more pre ordered for this year and admit I have a problem.

StormCell

Lol as i mentioned above I owned 80+ games for switch with more pre ordered for this year and admit I have a problem.

Just curious, do you actually get to sit and play them??... I sometimes miss the days of being able to just sit and play games without having other responsibilities.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Just curious, do you actually get to sit and play them??... I sometimes miss the days of being able to just sit and play games without having other responsibilities.

Absolutely not. I have beat maybe about 10 games on the list. I am trying to be better about it and work on my backlog now and do the 52 game challenge here on GAF.

Shaqazooloo

A problem that I have with tackling my backlog is that I usually just end up playing games that I dont need to play anymore like Botw, Pokemon and currently Fire Emblem.

I've put in about 30 more hours into Fire Emblem in the past few days, hours that I could've used to complete other games lol.

A problem that I have with tackling my backlog is that I usually just end up playing games that I dont need to play anymore like Botw, Pokemon and currently Fire Emblem.

I've put in about 30 more hours into Fire Emblem in the past few days, hours that I could've used to complete other games lol.

That's me with Smash Bros. I still haven't started Luigi's Mansion 3 and sure enough could have done that if I could just stop playing Smash lol.

lo zaffo

- ... cut stuff ... -
Stuff we'll have by 2023:

- N ... obfuscated
- G ... obfuscated
- F ... obfuscated
- V ... obfuscated
- n ... obfuscated
- r ... obfuscated
- N ... obfuscated
- Evangelion 5.0

- ... cut stuff ... -
I spotted some <<Evangelion>> words. Please elaborate.
Thank You.

Last edited:
So about that rumor of a new Switch model. Not sure why people interpret '2nd screen' as a literal 2nd screen in the device, lol

Imo this will be a Switch Pro that's powerful enough to allow users to use both the Switch' screen *and* the tv screen at the same time. Basically allowing Wii U-/NDS-/3DS-ports and new applications, too, like convenience features (watching youtube on one screen while playing on the other. Or messaging friends while in-game. Or, or, or).

Wii U will be back, bitches 🤷‍♀️🐧

Thurible

Imo this will be a Switch Pro that's powerful enough to allow users to use both the Switch' screen *and* the tv screen at the same time. Basically allowing Wii U-/NDS-/3DS-ports and new applications, too, like convenience features (watching youtube on one screen while playing on the other. Or messaging friends while in-game. Or, or, or).
Wii U will be back, b*tches 🤷‍♀️🐧
I non ironically would love for that to happen. Also bring back miiverse (it was a great idea and held a vibrant community) and virtual console.

Woopah

I can feel that first point -- it would be a lot easier to have more comparable hardware to the PS5. It's not a bad point.

We will just have to wait and see how this plays out. It will take more games from Nintendo and 2nd parties than we're currently seeing in year 4 for Switch to survive year 5 (2021), year 6 (2022), and year 7 (2023).

If they do this, I have little less confidence they will continue with a "direct" successor to the Switch. The new hardware will switch, no doubt, but it'll have some gimmick that's so different that the entire Switch library is rendered incompatible. I'd give them bonus points if somehow the internet service for it still wasn't ready at launch. LOL

PS. I also appreciate your willingness to keep coming back to such long-winded posts.

Nintendo's general weirdness and current secrecy does make them incredibly hard to predict. The virus situation messing up their plans doesn't help matters either.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think when Nintendo does reveal its hand it will have a good amount of games for the holiday season and 2021. Unfortunately the most predictable thing about them is that the online in their next system will suck.

PSA, NintendoGAF.

A lot of Nintendo accounts have been getting hacked in the past few days. Fight the mouth breathing bell-ends by making sure you have two-factor authentication switched on and unlinking your PayPal from the e-shop if necessary. Twitter noise suggests it’s a vulnerability on Nintendo’s end.

Hack my account and spend $200 on fucking v-bucks of all things if old.

cabbage5k2

Switch e-shop still sucks balls compared to the Wii, Wii-U, and 3DS e-shop.

Like how the fuck did we get such a massive downgrade.

WiiU one I'll agree with, and I've little experience with the Wii e-shop, but the 3ds one was also fairly horrendous, useful options hidden underneath layers of menus, hard to find new games, and too many insignificant categories clogging up the front page, pushing the more useful categories further away. If the Switch e-shop has one benefit, it's that there isn't much of these issues. Ironically enough, it's actually finding the game you want that can be a pain in the ass, much less trying to actually explore the shop for hidden gems that's incredibly problematic for the Switch shop.

Based Nintendo knows who their true fans are and will deliver us the Wii U 2

EP0dj6bWsAAUPr0.jpg

Zannegan

So about that rumor of a new Switch model. Not sure why people interpret '2nd screen' as a literal 2nd screen in the device, lol

Wii U will be back, bitches 🤷‍♀️🐧
So, with that design, they would include an HDMI dongle that could detach from the dock? Like the Wii U in reverse. Interesting.

That way the Switch Pro could stream to the TV either from your hand or from the dock. It would certainly make setup and breakdown less of a pain, and the Wii U showed that you can have a practically lagless local wireless stream. I'd wonder about reliability though.

Hell, IF it worked, I wonder if Nintendo shouldn't start just making wireless HDMI dongles for any electronics device. It wouldn't fly for the IQ-conscious home theater types, but Average Joe with his Bluray player running through his TV speakers might be willing to shell out for something similar.

But if it was that easy, someone would have done it by now.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Octopath Traveler's late game is no fking joke. I'm trying to do
the extra classes
bosses and I'm getting my ass whooped. JFC

It took me quite a long time to do them, I did the Runeblade after you get him you can cheese the rest with strats. There is also a simple strat for Sorcerer.

Last edited:
It took me quite a long time to do them, I did the Runeblade after you get him you can cheese the rest with strats. There is also a simple strat for Sorcerer.

Should I do some of the Chapter 4 quests to get better gear possibly before I do them? I've done all of the chapter 3s and I've been trying to steal or buy all the best gear from the Ch.4 towns.

The problem I had with
runeblade
is I got him to yellow, probably around 100k then he turned perma purple and did back to back aoe moves that wiped my group. My lineup is Ophilia/scholar, Therion/warrior, Primrose/Cleric, Cyrus/Apothecary.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Should I do some of the Chapter 4 quests to get better gear possibly before I do them? I've done all of the chapter 3s and I've been trying to steal or buy all the best gear from the Ch.4 towns.

The problem I had with
runeblade
is I got him to yellow, probably around 100k then he turned perma purple and did back to back aoe moves that wiped my group. My lineup is Ophilia/scholar, Therion/warrior, Primrose/Cleric, Cyrus/Apothecary.

I did them all before I did Chapter 4's I wanted them for end game.

Make sure you are using Therion's Shackle ability to reduce physical damage. His attacks look elemental but it is all physical.

If you want to make it REALLY easy.. Do not read unless you want the cheese strat.

Throw in Merchant class in there somewhere and use the dancer ultimate and sidestep you will dodge all of this attacks the entire fight

StormCell

Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think when Nintendo does reveal its hand it will have a good amount of games for the holiday season and 2021. Unfortunately the most predictable thing about them is that the online in their next system will suck.

It's the optimism that I struggle with more than anything. I struggle to remain optimistic. I do think that Nintendo is going to have another sort-of "golden age" with the Switch where we could see releases of Mario, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Monolithsoft RPG, and Bayonetta 3 (and a couple of other titles we've been waiting on) all within an 18 month span.

And then year 6 (2022) looks like famine...

But I don't know why I'm so pessimistic. I'm literally loving Animal Crossing and can't believe I wasn't in greater anticipation for this release. That's Nintendo -- they KO you when you least suspect it.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
It's the optimism that I struggle with more than anything. I struggle to remain optimistic. I do think that Nintendo is going to have another sort-of "golden age" with the Switch where we could see releases of Mario, Zelda, Metroid Prime, Monolithsoft RPG, and Bayonetta 3 (and a couple of other titles we've been waiting on) all within an 18 month span.

The Monolith RPG is probably what I am most looking forward to other than BoTW 2.

Woopah

But I don't know why I'm so pessimistic. I'm literally loving Animal Crossing and can't believe I wasn't in greater anticipation for this release. That's Nintendo -- they KO you when you least suspect it.

I think it's just Nintendo's high level of secrecy right now. They very rarely have this few games announced.

2019 looked like famine in April 2017 and turned out to have lots of games. In 2022 I'd expect Next Level Games, Good Feel, Platinum, Grezzo and several EPD teams to have something to release.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I did them all before I did Chapter 4's I wanted them for end game.

Make sure you are using Therion's Shackle ability to reduce physical damage. His attacks look elemental but it is all physical.

If you want to make it REALLY easy.. Do not read unless you want the cheese strat.

Throw in Merchant class in there somewhere and use the dancer ultimate and sidestep you will dodge all of this attacks the entire fight

I tried that and sidestep only self buffs, was thinking of trying olberic/merchant to taunt/sidestep.

The fight is RNG dependent because even with resist ailments my guys are still getting status effected.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
DS/3DS backwards compatibility for switch ?

This is similar to what I was thinking. I think we're going to see 3DS and Wii U games coming to the Nintendo Switch Next(Pro).
I'd go even farther and say if Nintendo decided to build in the 3D for the new model, it would be incredible.

I wondering if this is why they've been silent. Again, the Covid pandemic probably screwed up their plans which
was to introduce the "Nintendo Switch Next" console with showing off ports of 3DS and Wii U games(Especially
their own "first party" games). I wonder if this coincides with all the Super Mario remake/remaster rumors?

Something is afoot at Nintendo. Get ready for the "Nintendo Switch Next" at $399. Also get ready for iconmaster iconmaster
to pop in! Cheers! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_sunglasses: 🤞

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
By far the most games I've had for a console in a long time, very surprising to me. I don't think I have owned more than 20 physical games for one system before at once (I have traditionally traded in games and only had a handful at a time)

I usually land on about 50 games give or take when the gen ends. But when all is said and done, I firmly believe that Switch will beat that number by a mile. There are so many good games I want to acquire. And this might well be the last gen where physical is more than just a niche so might as well grab as many as you can.

Harada really needs a good punch in the face. Stop your dumb late port-strategy for Switch 🤦‍♀️

At this point, here's what happens:
- I'm not buying the Xbox/PS4-version because I'm sure a Switch-version will come
- Switch-version comes, but for full price while other versions are half or less the price
- I don't buy any version
- months/years later I buy Switch-version used for cheap
- profit for BN: 0

Well done, Harada, well done.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Always assumed the Switch Pro would be a better, more expensive, premium version of the Switch - but what could also work, and fit with some kind of "secondary display" firmware, would be selling a docked console at a lower price instead of a higher one - the Switch Home for $199, less internal memory, SD card slot and external hard drive support. The secondary display support would let anyone use a Switch or Switch Lite, and maybe a new Switch-sized controller with a screen and no hardware innards, as an enhanced controller. They can smuggle back in the Wii U concept, even if they had no good ideas for it.

Top Bottom