• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Lrnex

I bought Splatoon without knowing it has such a narrow single player. I bought the DLC to get some hours out of the game.
Yeah if you aren’t interested in multiplayer Splatoon isn’t worth it. It’s my most played Switch title at nearly 1000 hours but since Splatfest and the updates have stopped I’ve cooled off from it. OE was some great extra single player content though

Intoxicate

If you liked Yoshi´s Crafted World you may also like Kirby Star Allies. Have you played the demo?

I played the demo but thought it was a bit too easy. But thanks for the suggestion, my son is getting older and that might be a game that we could play together. Will go for it when we don’t get anything on the 20th!

New River City Girls has me excited!

I bought it for both Switch and PS4 and Platinumed the latter and finished it on the former first. I am hoping that they can expand more on the characters, their movesets and more enemies.

Also looking forward to Mighty Gunvolt Burst and Demon Turf when I saw it on that IGN Stream.

Some good announcements on LRG to be honest.

Last edited:
M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Paper Mario leaked friends, beware of spoilers even if it isn't a story heavy game. I braved into a reddit post about it and the only opinion about the game was glowing.
Awesome. Can you go into a bit more detail or will it get a bit too spoilery?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t know about anybody else but I’m super hype for Paper Mario, as much as I’m hyped for Ghost of Tsushima.

It looks amazing. I’m at a loss for words to describe what I like so much about it, but it just seemed so well-made in every aspect. The worlds and exploration looked super-fun. The battles seemed like really enjoyable puzzles. The game absolutely exuded charm and personality. Shake it altogether with Nintendo-level polish (seen for the first time this year in a traditional game), and... wow.

It actually kind of fucking kills me to say that, because this is why we aren’t getting Paper Mario 3. But I can’t deny when a game looks this great.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Playing Animal Crossing a lot lately, at all times of the day, and this game is ridiculously gorgeous in its own way. I love how natural everything feels, the lighting and weather constantly changing in real time, and how something like a summer evening just looks so perfect.

Maybe controversial statement, but between this and BotW, I've never played games that nailed this feeling of being somewhere so exactly.

Playing Animal Crossing a lot lately, at all times of the day, and this game is ridiculously gorgeous in its own way. I love how natural everything feels, the lighting and weather constantly changing in real time, and how something like a summer evening just looks so perfect.

Maybe controversial statement, but between this and BotW, I've never played games that nailed this feeling of being somewhere so exactly.
I, too, have been playing Animal Crossing a lot lately. There’s a lot I miss from the previous games, but Nintendo really nailed the look this time. I agree with everything you said. There’s something special about the aesthetics. The way the villagers look slightly fuzzy, or shiny. The fun little animations they do, and the things they carry around. It’s been a great game to chill out with, and forget about the troubles of the world.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

Andyliini

I have a feeling that The Origami King could become the best selling Paper Mario game yet. I think Super Paper Mario holds that title now, but I'm not sure how much it sold.

I have a feeling that The Origami King could become the best selling Paper Mario game yet. I think Super Paper Mario holds that title now, but I'm not sure how much it sold.

Just over 4 million copies. Good chance Origami King beats that, which would be quite a turnaround after Color Splash almost killed the franchise. I wonder how close they got to not bothering with another title.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Tbh, book it. This system was born to sell Nintendo software, and pretty much hits a staggering series record every time out. We’ll see, but I feel confident.

Just over 4 million copies. Good chance Origami King beats that, which would be quite a turnaround after Color Splash almost killed the franchise. I wonder how close they got to not bothering with another title.

As much as I want to go, ‘See, Nintendo? See?!’ in regards to Paper Mario traditionalism, launching late on Wii U... you might as well only sell copies in dark back alleys.

As much as I want to go, ‘See, Nintendo? See?!’ in regards to Paper Mario traditionalism, launching late on Wii U... you might as well only sell copies in dark back alleys.

They did send it out to die a painful death lol but that combined with continued fan backlash could have killed it. Paper Jam apparently also sold just over a million copies. I keep thinking this is an Awakening like situation, but it could be the hype clouding my judgment lol.

ExpandKong

Banned
I keep forgetting this exists, despite probably being the most hype-worthy, hilarious sounding crossover. Alphadream was so good at goofy stuff like this.

What’s the Nintendo Gaf take on that one?

Probably my third favorite in the franchise after Bowser’s Inside Story and Superstar Saga. Though I’m currently playing the BiS remake and not having as much fun as I remember with the original.

Either way Paper Jam is pretty solid.

I keep forgetting this exists, despite probably being the most hype-worthy, hilarious sounding crossover. Alphadream was so good at goofy stuff like this.

I never got around to playing it, but if Origami King delivers it I will play it in its honor.

mcjmetroid

I'd like to know what you don't like about Astral Chain m
I'll jump in on that one. An absolutrly marvelous game.... That I wish was released on any other system but the Switch haha.

It's really held back by the frame rate and resolution to me. Don't get me wrong I had s blast with it but I'd double dip on a pc version and as a game for me it's one of those games that doesn't work as a handheld game.

Any game that's heavy on the shoulder buttons don't work for me in handheld due to the joycons.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'll jump in on that one. An absolutrly marvelous game.... That I wish was released on any other system but the Switch haha.

It's really held back by the frame rate and resolution to me. Don't get me wrong I had s blast with it but I'd double dip on a pc version and as a game for me it's one of those games that doesn't work as a handheld game.

Any game that's heavy on the shoulder buttons don't work for me in handheld due to the joycons.

None of that bothered me in the slightest - I’m having a cracking time with it.

Intoxicate

I pre-purchased it and played it launch day. The intro section was awesome. They it slowed down at the basis station (where you train to control the legion).
Got stuck in one of the first detective missions.

Then started the game 2 or 3 more times and didn’t get into it. Maybe time constraints or the relatively complex controls (when you come back after a month you need to do the training again more or less).

But I‘m mainly playing things like Tetris 99, SNES Switch online (savestates are Great) and lately Horizon Chase Turbo/Sky Force Reloaded. Go in, have some fun, done.

I don’t know how I managed to put >100h into BotW, but there the I could split the sessions into looking for a shrine and solving the shrine.

They did send it out to die a painful death lol but that combined with continued fan backlash could have killed it. Paper Jam apparently also sold just over a million copies. I keep thinking this is an Awakening like situation, but it could be the hype clouding my judgment lol.

Did it sell a Million? I would like to know if anyone can confirm that.

It is weird to see Nintendo be quiet all Summer though. Despite Corona delaying everyone.

Dampf

Paper Mario leaked friends, beware of spoilers even if it isn't a story heavy game. I braved into a reddit post about it and the only opinion about the game was glowing.
I already read those leaks, and storywise I'm pretty disappointed but yeah it's to be expected from the new PM games.

Very sad, PM used to have amazing storylines before Sticker Splash....

Had so much potential, but unfortunately, it all was wasted.

Last edited:

Skelterz

I limit it to first party games (have >150 games), since I want to use the vouchers:

Love:
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • TETRIS 99
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
Like:
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Super Mario Party
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Bayonetta 1+2
  • 51 Worldwide Games
  • 1-2-Switch
Regrets:
  • Astral Chain
  • Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion
  • Mario Tennis Aces
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition

I really liked Mario tennis, IMO the online was where it really shined it’s tough to get a game these days though.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked Mario tennis, IMO the online was where it really shined it’s tough to get a game these days though.

I was looking at getting it as something fun to play with the wife - is local multiplayer any good?

Skelterz

I was looking at getting it as something fun to play with the wife - is local multiplayer any good?

If you have people over often the i’d recommend it could certainly get stale if you are constantly wiping the floor with somebody on repeat. I.E slay your wife too often = imminent divorce.

Jokes aside it is really fun like I said before it was awesome when the online was thriving it’s stale now I’d avoid it unless it’s really cheap or you have a crowded household.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If you have people over often the i’d recommend it could certainly get stale if you are constantly wiping the floor with somebody on repeat. I.E slay your wife too often = imminent divorce.

Jokes aside it is really fun like I said before it was awesome when the online was thriving it’s stale now I’d avoid it unless it’s really cheap or you have a crowded household.

Tbh winning all the time would be great - I need revenge for Mario Kart. She wipes the floor with me!

Longer reddit thread on Origami King. There may be spoilers, but I have read a lot of it and haven't noticed any. If you don't want to risk it, here I'll post some info by that OP:

Coins do seem abundant at first but keep in mind buying time and using toads cheer for it to even be worth it will cost you 1,000 coins

This game is very 2D Zelda like. You get accessories and items that are upgrades with 4 of them having higher tiers.

Another thing is for the most part every enemy is different and acts different, so even if you can line them up it’s not always smart to. Every boss is vastly different in terms of how to attack and how they attack.

I seriously hope you enjoy the game. Hell even if you don’t fight everything, the exploration is fantastic.

Final little note.

This game would be a masterpiece with TTYD leveling up. I agree it could use it.

BUT, if you ENJOY adventure games with upgrades and a FUN story with FUN gameplay, please give this game a chance. It’s full of love and passion and it shows. It’s not going to fill that rpg craving you have but it’s gunna definitely be a damn good Mario/adventure story game.

TLDR this game is an adventure game with tons of progression and getting stronger aspects. Worth every penny I rate it 9/10

34419.gif

GET ABOARD, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!

Hudo

I'd like to know what you don't like about Astral Chain m
If I may also interject: I really think the setting and visuals and premise of the game are really cool. I am just too inept for the controls, apparently. Even late into the game, I always felt I was struggling with the controls. I was waiting for that moment when it makes 'click' and the game feels natural to play and control but that moment never came for me in Astral Chain...

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
If I may also interject: I really think the setting and visuals and premise of the game are really cool. I am just too inept for the controls, apparently. Even late into the game, I always felt I was struggling with the controls. I was waiting for that moment when it makes 'click' and the game feels natural to play and control but that moment never came for me in Astral Chain...
Yes, the controls do take some time for me to get used to. Though are you struggling with performing good, like connecting the sync combos for example or it just felt off in general?

Personally I've been very comfortable with the controls especially after the game introduces those sync attacks (and how to unlock them), it clicks immediately after that for me.

Hudo

Yes, the controls do take some time for me to get used to. Though are you struggling with performing good, like connecting the sync combos for example or it just felt off in general?

Personally I've been very comfortable with the controls especially after the game introduces those sync attacks (and how to unlock them), it clicks immediately after that for me.
I was struggling with connecting the sync combos but it wasn't that big of an issue overall. It was more the latter case, where it just felt "off" in general. And the sad part is that I kinda feel that it's on me and not on the game. I can see that Takahashi Taura and his team have put some thought into the controls. I really think I am just too inept, lol. It also took me a while to get comfortable with controlling your Legion and your character on both sticks respectively, especially when you have those jump sections... I was even more struggling when I tried to pull off some "advanced" stuff like de-chaining one Legion, then pulling out another and also controlling your character. I never felt like I had the game "under control", so to speak.

I have never experienced this before in an action game, so I don't know what it is.

EDIT: It also didn't help that I got fairly bad ratings overall... Even when I felt like "hey that went OK this time." Apparently not.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I was struggling with connecting the sync combos but it wasn't that big of an issue overall. It was more the latter case, where it just felt "off" in general. And the sad part is that I kinda feel that it's on me and not on the game. I can see that Takahashi Taura and his team have put some thought into the controls. I really think I am just too inept, lol. It also took me a while to get comfortable with controlling your Legion and your character on both sticks respectively, especially when you have those jump sections... I was even more struggling when I tried to pull off some "advanced" stuff like de-chaining one Legion, then pulling out another and also controlling your character. I never felt like I had the game "under control", so to speak.

I have never experienced this before in an action game, so I don't know what it is.

EDIT: It also didn't help that I got fairly bad ratings overall... Even when I felt like "hey that went OK this time." Apparently not.
The ratings can be brutal when its your the first time doing the mission, the only way to get the S+ is to get the sync attacks connected as much as possible, and that means never being slowed down or took damages.

I think the key is to just master doing Perfect Call, a "parry" that can counter on all attacks + stun, unlike dodges. After doing ample practice with it, I just stopped moving much in battle and wait for the attacks, unsummon my legion if needed and do the counter. The move is kinda perfect to start any kind of fight. Hiding and flying enemies can easily be countered anyway with beast howl.

Another thing is to always match the combo sequence with how you click the buttons, no wasted movements, no need to press the buttons more than 3 times if that's all you need to complete the combo. Don't move much if not needed, use your legions more to move.

Also the hit rush thing is hard and I've never mastered it, only doing it once in a while for fun. Endgame I just use Axe legion with omega++ armor (no flinch) and just complete basic combos - they hit hard at the last attack, I can kill most of the mini bosses around 2 mins max, of course with dodges and perfect call.

Other people would suggest exploiting slow attacks crit rate etc, but not getting damage and being interrupted from completing combos is the first thing to be mindful for.

Also never start a combo if you can't finish it, you'll get what I mean.

Last edited:

Hudo

The ratings can be brutal when its your the first time doing the mission, the only way to get the S+ is to get the sync attacks connected as much as possible, and that means never being slowed down or took damages.

I think the key is to just master doing Perfect Call, a "parry" that can counter on all attacks + stun, unlike dodges. After doing ample practice with it, I just stopped moving much in battle and wait for the attacks, unsummon my legion if needed and do the counter. The move is kinda perfect to start any kind of fight. Hiding and flying enemies can easily be countered anyway with beast howl.

Another thing is to always match the combo sequence with how you click the buttons, no wasted movements, no need to press the buttons more than 3 times if that's all you need to complete the combo. Don't move much if not needed, use your legions more to move.

Also the hit rush thing is hard and I've never mastered it, only doing it once in a while for fun. Endgame I just use Axe legion with omega++ armor (no flinch) and just complete basic combos - they hit hard at the last attack, I can kill most of the mini bosses around 2 mins max, of course with dodges and perfect call.

Other people would suggest exploiting slow attacks crit rate etc, but not getting damage and being interrupted from completing combos is the first thing to be mindful for.

Also never start a combo if you can't finish it, you'll get what I mean.
Maybe I'll try it again with the "don't move unless you absolutely have to" approach you suggested. I haven't really thought of not moving, to be honest. Maybe it's because it seems that moving around seems instrinsic to those kind of action games, that it didn't really cross my mind. Thanks for the tip, man!

Top Bottom