• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Skelterz

I don't think Nintendo thinks that way completely. The last general Direct we got came out only 5 days after Astral Chain, so there's no rule about having a large gap between a game and a Direct.

Not a 1st party release though..I know it’s exclusive but it’s not one if there own titles I would love to be wrong believe me but I just don’t buy it.

Skelterz

Lets keep our expectatipns realistic, another Mini Direct detailing the Mario remasters of 64, 3D World and Sunshine coming this holiday, a couple third party last gen ports, new dlc coming for Pokemon with hint at a third version including a magic staff looking Pokemon, Animal Crossing getting expansion, Big Daddy coming to Smash, Indies! And 2020 is wrapped up see you next year

I’m with that I could see maybe a big third party game spear heading Xmas like maybe bayonetta 3 or something we don’t know about yet I just think aside from ports Nintendo’s bigger games are way off E.G BOTW2, MP4

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
yeah it got confirmed when the prequel did. I’ll find the link later
tenor.gif

Woopah

I think it flat-out got swallowed by needing to make handheld games at a much higher production value, and the continuing evolving demands of game development.

But, don't discount things like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Clubhouse, Luigi, and Link's Awakening not being cordoned off to their own handheld. That's given a lot of content and variety to the line-up.

Likewise, I can only imagine how bad it would be if Nintendo had to support two systems with Switch-level games or beyond.

Fully agree with this, Nintendo published a lot of games last year and there's no way Switch would have had that many if Nintendo was supporting a second platform.
Not a 1st party release though..I know it’s exclusive but it’s not one if there own titles I would love to be wrong believe me but I just don’t buy it.
Astral Chain was published by Nintendo and they are one of the owners of the IP. Its 100 per cent a first party title. Just as first party as Pokémon is (or even more so in some respects).

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
6_Hints_to_Make_Firing_an_Employee_a_Smooth_Process_2.gif

It’s it confirmed!?........don’t you even dare say it just wishful thinking.
It's confirmed. Hopefully they've learned a thing or two about writing a compelling narrative and quest/dungeon design so that it's not as disappointing or mind numbingly repetitive as the original.

Skelterz

Something I’d absolutely love to see is Nintendo localising and publishing Dragon Quest X in the west that would go a long way for me. I really feel we’re missing a decent MMORPG on the switch and so far that game is Japan only it’s criminal!!

Skelterz

Astral Chain was published by Nintendo and they are one of the owners of the IP. Its 100 per cent a first party title.

I stand corrected sir 😂 I assumed because it was developed by Platinum
Games it was considered a 2nd party game at best, wasn’t it the same story for bayo 2? Did that not make its way to other consoles later on or is it still Nintendo exclusive?

Danjin44

It's confirmed. Hopefully they've learned a thing or two about writing a compelling narrative and quest/dungeon design so that it's not as disappointing or mind numbingly repetitive as the original.
I don’t know, I liked the original a lot, and it doesn’t tell it’s story in traditional way because of nature of its structure but every character is fully developed, which I can’t say the same about Ni no Kuni 2 (even tho I still some what enjoy that game as well).

Last edited:

They need to expand the amount of classes, I loved the advanced classes in the original and looking back I wonder why they left them a secret since initially I was skeptical of only 8 classes.

edit: I'm also looking forward to them expanding the narrative after the epilogue of the first, it's a nice setup to a central conflict for the sequel.

Last edited:

Woopah

I stand corrected sir 😂 I assumed because it was developed by Platinum
Games it was considered a 2nd party game at best, wasn’t it the same story for bayo 2? Did that not make its way to other consoles later on or is it still Nintendo exclusive?
No worries! Nintendo would have to give Platinum permission or full ownership of the IP to take Astral Chain to another platform, just like they would have to give HAL permission to take Kirby to another platform.

Bayonetta is a bit tricky due to Sega's involvement but as 2 and 3 are published by Nintendo I count them as first party releases.

If you look at the games Nintendo published last year, the vast majority were developed by independent studios like Platinum. As a general rule ,I say that anything that is published by Nintendo counts as first party, since 2nd party is not a well defined term. Otherwise you get into a situation where Pokémon and Fire Emblem aren't first party games and that would just be weird to me.

Danjin44

Last edited:

Woopah

some vague tweets from insider shinobi, if I can dig them up later I will. These are the least reliable rumors as stated because they are so vague.

I would just be pumped if it happened
Has shinobi actually hinted at Golden Sun? I thought they just wanted it to happen.

Danjin44

The console had games that I wanted to play and the promise of games to come. Come on, Metroid prime was announced what..3 years ago?
And The Last Guardian announced around 2006-7 and came out in 2016, but in the end it came out I enjoyed the crap out of it.

Mr Hyde

Booted up Oninaki. I know I shouldn't since Full Body and Deadly Premonition 2 will wait for me when I come home tomorrow after an 8 day vacation.

But so far it has been very good. A huuuge step up from Tokyo RPG factories two previous releases, both in terms of graphics story and combat.

I love Jrpgs like this and they feel right at home on a Nintendo console. Brings back nostalgic feelings of the good old SNES-era. Oninaki definitely revokes that 16-bit magic that was present in the early 90s.

Reactions: Isa
The console had games that I wanted to play and the promise of games to come. Come on, Metroid prime was announced what..3 years ago?

MP4 had its development rebooted and is now in the trustworthy hands of Retro. But other than that, yeah a game being announced years ahead of its actual launch is totally unheard of.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So in Mario Odyssey I’m now hunting the extra moons after beating bowser and going to the kingdom you go to afterwards. My ship says I need x amount so I’m cracking on with that - the new moons they add and new secret areas in the square pipes are fun - bastard hard but fun. I love this game so much, and the value is extraordinary.

So in Mario Odyssey I’m now hunting the extra moons after beating bowser and going to the kingdom you go to afterwards. My ship says I need x amount so I’m cracking on with that - the new moons they add and new secret areas in the square pipes are fun - bastard hard but fun. I love this game so much, and the value is extraordinary.

The new areas are fucking awesome, Nintendo really outdid themselves with the optional content in this game. Hope you're doing them dressed accordingly with the Mario 64 costume.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The new areas are fucking awesome, Nintendo really outdid themselves with the optional content in this game. Hope you're doing them dressed accordingly with the Mario 64 costume.

There’s a Mario 64 costume? I’ll have to find that.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ah fuck, sorry for the spoilers, but I legit thought that since you visited that kingdom you'd have found it. My bad.

I’ll have to hunt it down then - I presume the shop in that kingdom has it. As for spoilers - not a big spoiler really.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Why was “Mim Mim” given representation in Smash

Birdo
Waluigi
Geno/Mallow
Twink/Koopa Bros
Boo
Shy Guy
Cheep Cheep
Twinrova
Zant
Majora
Vaati
Impa
Leon S. Kennedy
Claire Redfield
Jill Valentine
Chris Redfield
Ada Wong
Albert Weaker
Barry Burton
Rebecca Chambers
Billy Coen
Piers Nivans

So many different characters that should have been in before “Mim Mim”

-Arcadia-

Banned
Why was “Mim Mim” given representation in Smash

Birdo
Waluigi
Geno/Mallow
Twink/Koopa Bros
Boo
Shy Guy
Cheep Cheep
Twinrova
Zant
Majora
Vaati
Impa
Leon S. Kennedy
Claire Redfield
Jill Valentine
Chris Redfield
Ada Wong
Albert Weaker
Barry Burton
Rebecca Chambers
Billy Coen
Piers Nivans

So many different characters that should have been in before “Mim Mim”

Because a character from a major new Nintendo game this generation, with unique mechanics, is far more interesting than a fucking fish from Mario. Lol.

Similar case for the others. I wouldn’t put yet another Zelda character ahead of ARMS, nor a bunch of literally-whos from Resident Evil. Maybe Leon or the bigger characters, but they certainly wouldn’t enable fresh game mechanics like Min Min.

Lrnex

And Min Min is a fucking cool character. It's an absolutely gorgeous design. That orange luchador mask with the green eyes look very unique.
Sakurai-Sama still has it. MinMin looks and feels like she was always supposed to be a smash character and he really did a bangup job making that happen. She’s not as horribly broken as I thought she’d be from the release video either. Her recovery is easy to gimp with Puff and she struggles pretty badly in close quarters. Still the range of that dragon beam is insane 😅

Sakurai-Sama still has it. MinMin looks and feels like she was always supposed to be a smash character and he really did a bangup job making that happen. She’s not as horribly broken as I thought she’d be from the release video either. Her recovery is easy to gimp with Puff and she struggles pretty badly in close quarters. Still the range of that dragon beam is insane 😅

I'm taking a break from Smash, but I need to go back into it and check her out.

Top Bottom