• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z hits PS4 August 4, adds Mech Mode

lcap

OMG!

It looks amazing! I had already preordered before it but man, now I'm pumped.

Which also makes me a bit sadder that it's not coming to Vita. :(

rpg_poser

I don't get excited about a lot of games. I am older, love PSO and Shiren and don't get excited about a lot nowadays... but this game. This game has game has me really excited.

Polygon Mech Play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tz29aXxiMw

Game is split into season and each season is like 4 or 5 episodes. If you die, you must start the season over.
Mech Unlocks at the end of season 1 you can swap mech and space ship at anytime. Mech short range space ship long range.
dungeons procedurally generated different each time through including loot location as well as enemy types.
This is so good.

prudislav

Not known. In the past Pub Fund games were 6 months exclusive but lately it's down to 3 months.
apparently they are aiming for end of September with PC version
Galak-Z runs on Unity, which means the PC version shares most of its DNA with the PS4 version. “We built most of the game on PC and have been working on PS4, but the master build is PC,” Kazdal said. “Over the last couple of months as we’ve been finalizing and optimizing. We spent a lot of effort on PS4. I don’t think the PC build is as tight right now, but I would assume [it’ll be ready] by the end of September.”

That’s not a hard date, and I suspect it may slip back as the Galak-Z team codifies what features it wants in the PC version. “What I’d like to do, ideally, is have quality settings on the PC stuff,” Kazdal said. “We haven’t done that at all yet, because we’ve been so focused on shipping on PS4. That’ll take some time. But going all the way up to fully procedurally generated, every explosion, everything, all the way down to the canned simpler ones that are much less performance heavy. We can do settings: we can do, with these explosions, trigger X amount of particle effects, when it’s on low it’s only triggering 2 whereas up here it’s 10, something like that...I think, if you’ve got some stupid $4000 gaming PC and you’re a nut, you should be able to have the sickest-ass version of Galak-Z possible. I mean, why not?”

I went down a hit-list of features that I think PC players will really care about, and here’s what Kazdal had to say about each topic.
Mouse/keyboard controls?
“I think there is a control scheme with the keyboard only. I’ve got to come up with the mouse and keyboard configuration, being able to assign your own keys. I’m sure people are going to want that.”

What’s the controller support like?
Thanks to the PS4 version, Galak-Z obviously has PlayStation button icons. But if you plug in an Xbox controller on PC, it’ll auto-detect and give you the matching icons. Neato.

How about 4K support?
“We’ve got all our textures and stuff in Unity, most are archivable at 4096 [pixels wide], and then we clamp them to be, say, 1080 or 512 or whatever when they get pulled into the game. But in the project they're super high. But I assume we’d just dump them in at full size, and then you’d choose the quality settings. So we’ll have to set up rulesets. High means textures at 4096 but only if you have X amount of RAM. There’s a bunch of stuff that has to be taken into consideration.”

Framerate: 60 fps, or even beyond?
“Performance wise, I think the PC version is pretty much locked at 60. PS4 isn’t locked at 60. It plays at 60 a lot and doesn’t go below about 40 something, but the PC version’s definitely got a better framerate, even on a mid-range PC. And I haven’t seen it lately with these new optimizations, so I’m sure performance is better than ever on PC too.”
I asked if Galak-Z would be able to go beyond 60 to 120 Hz, and Kazdal said he didn’t know, so that one’s still to be determined.

Mod support?
Kazdal was interested in the potential for settings tinkering, though he didn’t have anything specific planned when it came to moddability. “I know of a couple settings that you could go in and fuck with. Maybe having a FAQ just for that, saying you can noodle with this, there’s no guarantees of performance, but if you want to go nuts, go nuts.”

Finally, we talked about features that would appeal to the roguelike community, like Spelunky’s Daily Challenge, which gives all players the same randomly generated level “seed” to play through and compete on score. He didn’t have any features to talk about for the PC launch, but he was just as excited about the idea as I was. He definitely had the idea in mind before I brought it up.
http://www.pcgamer.com/why-galak-zs-acrobatic-space-shootouts-will-be-best-on-pc/[/quote]

Bloodrage

Banned
aw fuck yeah

edo3c0N.gif

jN4MZ4F.gif

This game has somehow morphed into a crazy top down procedural Platinum action game

I mean wtf

B6sflO0.gif

Parries, bruh. PARRIES
Holy shit.

Mbrill82

Man I've been looking forward to this game for so long, for awhile there it seemed like it would never get a release date.
I think it's really cool that thy were able to keep such an integral gameplay mechanic under wraps this whole time. Really nice surprise.
This game just hits all the right buttons for me. I love shmups (I'm mostly a fan of vertical-scrolling arcade shmups but hey, it's a SPACESHIP GAME! I'll take it!) and I love the aesthetic of 80's anime. Now there's mechs!? Be still my heart.

jwk94

Polygon Mech Play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tz29aXxiMw

Game is split into season and each season is like 4 or 5 episodes. If you die, you must start the season over.
Mech Unlocks at the end of season 1 you can swap mech and space ship at anytime. Mech short range space ship long range.
dungeons procedurally generated different each time through including loot location as well as enemy types.

That video really highlights why I'm kinda worried about this mech mode. The best thing about Galak-Z was/is getting into those moments when you're low on ammo and you have to use your resources around you to defeat the enemy or boss. Now with the mech, it kinda seems like that goes out the window.

kevin1025

Banned
Wait. Wait. You can transform? And it's like a season of a show in its presentation? This and Rare Replay on the same day means nostalgia is going to be overloading like crazy!

jtrov

Oh. My. God.
Already pre-ordered this the day the promo went up as this is one of my most anticipated games. And now they show this and it's going to make this next week feel like an eternity. Just can't wait to get my hands on the game. Fucking gameplay looks incredible and now this Mech mode? Just give it to me now... Please :(

Top Bottom