• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

Negative: Lots of talking that is hard to follow while playing (including tutorials I missed) that isn't interesting at all so far.
I actually liked a lot of the dialogue so far, but I noticed two annoying things: first, that sometimes dialogue will needlessly repeat itself. Second, that sometimes the audio mix is oddly balanced and it makes it nigh impossible to hear the dialogue.

EDIT: New GIF for a new page.
oGMItDz.gif

I actually liked a lot of the dialogue so far, but I noticed two annoying things: first, that sometimes dialogue will needlessly repeat itself. Second, that sometimes the audio mix is oddly balanced and it makes it nigh impossible to hear the dialogue.

Yes I heard the same line when picking up salvage 10 times already (why is it in there in the first place.. KA-CHING) and the weapon trader guy pretty much told me 5 times that he needs help in the same mission. It was kind of annoying.

I didn't want to be too harsh but I'm not a fan of the dialogue at all so far. I may just turn them off after the tutorials are done.

HORRORSHØW

Quick impressions after three levels/episodes

Postitive: The contols and the combat instantly clicked and it feels great

Neutral: This is a Rogue-LITE. As LITE as it can get, unless there are major changes. If it wasn't mentioned anywhere I would have not considered it to be in the genre at all. Don't go in expecting Binding of Isaac.

Negative: Lots of talking that is hard to follow while playing (including tutorials I missed) that isn't interesting at all so far.
pros sound good. not too down on the cons. irrelevant chatter is irrelevant.

Grimløck;173986815 said:

Yeah it can be ignored easily. I'm looking forward to playing more which is the most important thing.

SerTapTap

Yes I heard the same line when picking up salvage 10 times already (why is it in there in the first place.. KA-CHING) and the weapon trader guy pretty much told me 5 times that he needs help in the same mission. It was kind of annoying.

I didn't want to be too harsh but I'm not a fan of the dialogue at all so far. I may just turn them off after the tutorials are done.

There's definite audio/dialog issues. Lots of people getting cut off (and not just because their ship is exploding--that's actually a neat touch), some repeated dialogs. Dialog is fairly weak even for the absurd cheese 80s vibe. The look works a lot better than the dialog so far

Grimløck;173986815 said:
I think the key thing that most of us who have played agree on is that the gameplay is good. If the dialogue doesn't do it for you, you could certainly mute it or ignore it. I wouldn't skip the game just because of the repetitious chatter.

baconcow

I think the key thing that most of us who have played agree on is that the gameplay is good. If the dialogue doesn't do it for you, you could certainly mute it or ignore it. I wouldn't skip the game just because of the repetitious chatter.

I don't think the cons bothered him.

Interesting. Apart from the seasons and episodes and no keeping ship contents between acts, it seems (from videos) that it shares a lot in common with BoI. Blueprints as items, sakvage as money, permadeath, bosses at the 2nd act/floor ends, play until beaten.

What do you feel is missing or inaccurate? I was hoping for Rogue Legacy with a mech/ship and awesome gameplay.
Yeah it is a bit more like Rogue Legacy, which is also very very lite.

A true rogue-like like BoI has to have more decisions with unknown outcomes - using pills and tarot cards for the first time, picking up unkown items - which can have potentially negative effects and screw you completely or give you god mode. Learning what items do and what decisions to make is a huge part of the learning curve in those games. Your skill in those games directly increases with the knowledge you gain about item effects and synergies.

Games like Rogue Legacy and Galak-Z are just action games with randomly generated levels, which isn't bad! But they're something very different.

I don't think the cons bothered him.

Yeah I want to make that clear. I had problems warming up to the game because of the characters and dialogue, but after I got into the flow of the gameplay I stopped caring. It plays well and that's what I wanted from the game.

SerTapTap

I wouldn't really compare it to Rogue Legacy where you're constantly and majorly improving your next run just by running through and dying. There's a lot more skill and a lot less gear involved so far. Not really sure Rougelike or even rougelite is an appropriate way to describe it. It's more like an arcade style game with proc gen levels and a somewhat minor progression system that's mostly within a session rather than between sessions.

I wouldn't really compare it to Rogue Legacy where you're constantly and majorly improving your next run just by running through and dying. There's a lot more skill and a lot less gear involved so far.

Yeah as I said, I wouldn't have given the game the "rogue" title in the first place. It's an action game with randomly generated levels and loot.

It's more like an ARPG maybe? People wouldn't call Diablo 3 a rogue-lite even though it shares those elements.

It's hard to fit into a genre and I fear people might go in with wrong expectations.

EDIT: Yeah, I agree with your edit.

Mesoian

EDIT: New GIF for a new page.
oGMItDz.gif

FUCK.

That looks amazing.

baconcow

Yeah it is a bit more like Rogue Legacy, which is also very very lite.

A true rogue-like like BoI has to have more decisions with unknown outcomes - using pills and tarot cards for the first time, picking up unkown items - which can have potentially negative effects and screw you completely or give you god mode. Learning what items do and what decisions to make is a huge part of the learning curve in those games. Your skill in those games directly increases with the knowledge you gain about item effects and synergies.

Games like Rogue Legacy and Galak-Z are just action games with randomly generated levels, which isn't bad! But they're something very different.

Yeah I want to make that clear. I had problems warming up to the game because of the characters and dialogue, but after I got into the flow of the gameplay I stopped caring. It plays well and that's what I wanted from the game.

I get your difference with BoI, and agree. I put over 100 hours in that game (Rebirth) and never thought about going that deep for comparison, but you're absolutely correct.

I loved Rogue Legacy different from BoI, so hopefully I will enjoy this. Not too worried about story or anything as most games like this have underdevloped stories (Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, BoI, Faster than Light).

SumGamer

I hope this game is out in Asia as well. Coz I'm waiting. The lack of info in Asia store is rather concerning t me.

And that GIF looks ace.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just pre-ordered and according to PSN Store website it's pre-loaded.. word.. can't wait for tomorrow.

styl3s

I love that pause screen, awesome design choice. I was too lazy to make a GIF of it myself last night, so thanks! I'll see if I can fit it in somewhere.

Yes.
Rare Replay is also 12 EST huh? Sheeeeeit.

Probably play through this and hit up Rare Replay on the weekend since really i just want to play Viva Pinata 1 and 2 again.

Okay, it is possible to get cool synergies though:

Normally you have a single laser shot but with upgrades I now have a three way shot which splits into 5 shots each and reflects off walls. Spray and pray

Pimpbaa

Excellent job, OP. You should also include the (awesome) videotape pause screen.

3oEdv66GwQfhAxd8Ji.gif

Almost wish there was an option to play the game with a filter like that (maybe without the jitter). Oh how many animes I watched that were vhs copies (and perhaps copies of copies).

The End

The only thing that would make this better would be a screen clearing bomb in the form of a J-Pop idol song.

(Note, I haven't played it yet so if that's in there I'm sorry for spoiling it)

jkooXL

For what its worth the beginning of the game is very dialogue heavy compared to the majority of the game after the first few missions. We will be tweaking it based on feedback and continuing to improve the experience as much as possible.

I wish I had a EU release date for all of you but we just haven't gotten final confirmation yet from SCEE, as *soon* as I hear anything I will update in this OT!

Thank you!

styl3s

Almost wish there was an option to play the game with a filter like that (maybe without the jitter). Oh how many animes I watched that were vhs copies (and perhaps copies of copies).
I remember ordering the entire DBZ run on VHS on ebay when it was getting big here in america (i think this was before funimation bought it and it stopped around the namek saga i believe) and they were obviously copies of copies of copies of copies of copies. Worth every penny though.

danowat

Banned
For what its worth the beginning of the game is very dialogue heavy compared to the majority of the game after the first few missions. We will be tweaking it based on feedback and continuing to improve the experience as much as possible.

I wish I had a EU release date for all of you but we just haven't gotten final confirmation yet from SCEE, as *soon* as I hear anything I will update in this OT!

Thank you!

Does it affect yourselves if "we" buy it from the US PSN?

Finished the first season, not a lot to add. If the gameplay looks good to you I'd get in at the pre-order price. It's a lot of fun and very skill based with a decent difficulty. I got close to dying quite few times and those moments are very exciting.

Three things about the audio:
- Spoken lines get canceled when entering the pause/map menu. When you resume the game they don't continue.
- There are audio hiccups, I just saw the first "credits" and the audio was stuttering and it kind of ruined it. :/
- Just decrese the frequency of A-Tak's random comments when picking up stuff or killing something by a LOT. Like, to <25% of what it is now. It's way too repetitive.

Otherwise I'm enjoying it very much. :)

muteki

Finished the first season, not a lot to add. If the gameplay looks good to you I'd get in at the pre-order price. It's a lot of fun and very skill based with a decent difficulty. I got close to dying quite few times and those moments are very exciting.

- Spoken lines get canceled when entering the pause/map menu. When you resume the game they don't continue.
- There are audio hiccups, I just saw the first "credits" and the audio was stuttering and it kind of ruined it. :/
- Just decrese the frequency of A-Tak's random comments when picking up stuff or killing something by a LOT. Like, to <25% of what it is now. It's way too repetitive.

Is there a Japanese language option?

jkooXL

The first two have already been addressed and will be updated in the next patch. #3 is under construction!

muteki

I couldn't find one. And I did look.
I actually expected the game to be way more Japanese than it is. It's a very western take on anime.

Perfect!

Oh well, topic should be changed to Robotech then.

I was trying to figure out if/when it would release in Japan but couldn't find anything.

SerTapTap

Yeah, no platinum--I'd really advise every indie to do their best to get a platinum (sounds like it's an extra cert pass/extra requirements), silly as it is it does say buyer behavior for some.

I couldn't find one. And I did look.
I actually expected the game to be way more Japanese than it is. It's a very western take on anime.

Perfect!

Not saying this as an insult, but it kind of feels like something that'd be made by someone who only knew 80s anime, nothing in particular about Japan or more recent anime. And a teeny bit of GI Joe/saturday morning cartoon in there. It feels very 80s anime but at the same time rather not-anime.

Dingotech

Yeah.. Oh well. Not a big issue.

I got a silver for completing the tutorial which kind of confused me.

Yeah it's not a deal breaker or anything.

I just enjoy trophy lists that can extend the amount of time I put into a game.

This one just appears to be finish the game and kill a few enemies.

Top Bottom