• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: If MS moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Sony

QaaQer

After reading this article about GTAV being delayed until the fall: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185855/Why_GTA_Vs_delay_could_cause_an_industrywide_ripple_effect.php

It looks like MS can easily make Orbis a non-factor.
Microsoft has showered Rockstar with money in the past, buying first-pass rights for DLC content for GTA IV. It's entirely possible the company has done so again, buying an exclusive port of GTA V for the next generation Xbox -- and wanted the launches closer together. (Sony doesn't seem to be in a financial position to do so at present.)

Sales of the game would be minimal, since the install base of the system will be so comparatively small, but it would give Microsoft an important bragging right -- and make its next generation system seem very current and relevant to core gamers, who will be critical to this upcoming generation. (Keep in mind, those Destiny court documents that came out during Activision's legal fight with Jason West and Vince Zampella indicate that Destiny will be exclusive to the system as well, so having GTA in the fold as well would be a killer one-two punch.)

If MS can make sure that COD doesnt show up on Orbis next gen as well, I see the Orbis dead.

Remember, this means means that GTAV/COD would be on x360, PS3, and 720 but not Orbis. It does not mean that GTAV/COD would be a 720 exclusive. Bungie's game would be a 720 exclusive.

And if that happens, I don't know how Sony could recover. They have no IP that comes anywhere close to those titles except possibly Grand Turismo. And they don't have the money to throw away like they did in 2006.

edit: could be worse than losing monster hunter for vita in Japan.

The amount of money Microsoft would have to pay to ensure Activision sees more benefit to making CoD exclusive than giving up the millions of copies it would sell on the PS3, as well, would instantly making the XBox division unprofitable for years.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this is not the kind of article i'd expect from gamasutra...

DaBoss

No way COD will be exclusive to 720, but GTAV has a chance I guess, with 720 having it, but not PS4, but that chance is small.

Pachimari

Even if Durango got Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto V, that wouldn't kill Orbis. It would probably put a stop to some of the hype and/or sales but kill it? Nah.

Yeah, it totally makes sense. I mean, if Microsoft could just get companies to not release ANY games on Orbis, they'd be all set! They should get on that.

Derrick01

Banned
What's their basis for this, because it happened last time? Yeah and it didn't work out well for them either as sales of the DLC were disappointing. Pure speculation, therefore BS until there's something more behind it.

How much money would Microsoft have to fork out in order to secure such a high profile exclusive? I think that's highly unlikely.

aurahack

Neo Member
Didn't even take ten minutes for this to show up in my Twitter feed after reading about the event announcement.

Good job, internet! Corner offices all around.

How you come up with this OP. I must have what you have LOL!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I think the announcement of the meeting has made the OP gone insane.

QaaQer

No way. Living in a fantasy world

Why? how many copies would GTAV sell on Orbis anyway in the first few months, even if every single orbis owner bought the game?

It would still be on the PS3/360.

It seems to me it would be a great investment by MS, especially if the rumours are true and and the 720 is weaker and bundled with kinect.

I doubt MS would be willing to pay the tremendous amount of money that keeping these games from Orbis would require...

Unless Orbis devkits won't make in time, or the system itself gets delayed, but even so it would be a temp exclusive at best...

But yeah, that would be a 1 2 punch right at the face of Orbis.

laika09

This baseless speculation will spell certain doom for whoever they are baselessly speculating it will spell certain doom for.

That doesn't make any sense considering people could just buy it for their existing hardware without the 300+ dollar surcharge for... I dunno, shinier polygons? Meh.

Plus, I don't think Take Two/Rockstar would be down for making an inter-gen GTA game.

StuBurns

Banned
Even if Durango got Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto V, that wouldn't kill Orbis. It would probably put a stop to some of the hype and/or sales but kill it? Nah.
Well, no, but what if they paid for lots of others too? No Assassin's Creed, no Battlefield, no Fifa, no Madden, no Respawn game, then they'd kill PS4. It'd cost about ten billion dollars to do it, but that's money well spent to end Sony's residence in the market I guess.

Hindle

Banned
MS don't need to spend the money required to do this. GTA 5 will still shift the most copies on the 360 anyway.

If anything they'll get a new game from them.

The chances of anybody securing exclusive rights to GTA and CoD are rather low. If the industry works the way I think it does, MS would have to pay a ridiculously high price to compensate Rockstar and Activision for the reduced sales.

Top Bottom