• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: If MS moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Sony

Strike

Doesn't happen.
This. They're having trouble just getting GTA V out on current gen consoles. As for COD, MS threw loads of money at them this gen and only managed to get timed DLC exclusivity (which expires after this year). Activision is not going to ignore the opportunity to make a buck.

QaaQer

"Just not on Orbis" would still mean millions of sales.

Orbis has a zero install base.

Most of the sales will come on ps3 and 360, both of which will have versions. the lost sales would be minor at the start of a new generation if it was 720 only.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If it were to happen it'd be one of those things that some people over-blow toward the beginning of new generations that end up being pretty inconsequential.

Is GTA even a system seller?

I think if either next gen system had a new mainline GTA game locked up as an exclusive, it would sell a lot of consoles. But probably not enough to make it worthwhile, since it would take a money hat of historic proportions to get the exclusive game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. GTA doesn't mean that much anymore. This isn't the PS2/Xbox/GC era.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The author seems to be grossly overestimating how many people would drop an additional $400 bucks to get a technologically superior version of a game they could buy for the system they already own. A game that most people never even finish, to boot.

noobasuar

Banned
hmmm this would be interesting to see...I wouldn't put it past microsoft to try and get an improved version of GTA5 on its next gen console.

Microsoft is in a pretty tough position in a way since it's two biggest IP's might soon be irrelevant. Without bungie making Halo and gears going down in popularity I could see them trying to get some 3rd party games exclusive for a year or whatever.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Microsoft doesn't need to do this, really. They have an established brand now, and an extraordinary move like this will guarantee an install base of, say, 5-10 million, over the PS4, and that really won't be enough. It's also pretty uncompetitive.

Soi-Fong

I can see MS doing this since they've already fucked up their own studios. (Look at Rare)

Only other games they have are Halo and Gears.

As sad as it is for MS, I can see them doing this. Even still, I don't think Activsion or Take Two would try to piss off the Sony fanbase like this.

Edit: Nice to know who Gamasutra is rooting for next gen. I'll be avoiding their website like the plague.

Wait guys, what if Sony does this and kills Microsoft!?!?

ron-paul.gif

MormaPope

Banned
Well we know who that gamasutra author is cheerleading for now at least.

Because Sony and Nintendo have the funds to do this right? Article is odd and this situation would never happen, but Microsoft might be the only console manufacturer to be able to do this zany shit.

Fanboy accusations are always the most trite observations.

So a third party is going to agree to exclusivity on a platform with a very small user base? Do you understand how much money it would take for Rockstar or Activision to agree to such nonsense? Microsoft would be better off buying one of those companies for the amount of money it would take.

I'd also like to add that North American gaming journalism has an extreme bias when it comes to Microsoft. It was so brazen last generation it was shocking. Websites outright denying the red ring of death issue until they couldn't, the infamous 1UP Gears of War review, and overall cheerleading for the 360 in general.

who fucking cares about moneyhats this gen. It's going to be all about first party games anyway as most companies arent dumb enough to do third party exclusives anymore

Mandoric

Banned
Missing the boat or being late on the earliest of this gen's big titles certainly doesn't appear to have killed off Sony. If MS wanted to spend literally billions of dollars on having a year's head start, they'd have just plain launched last year and gotten total launch exclusivity over Sony instead of a title or two.

GavinGT

Banned
So a third party is going to agree to exclusivity on a platform with a very small user base? Do you understand how much money it would take for Rockstar or Activision to agree to such nonsense? Microsoft would be better off buying one of those companies for the amount of money it would take.

The writer is specifically saying they should pay to make the next Xbox the only console with a next-gen port of the game. It would still be on both current gen consoles.

It's just as dumb, though.

Sanctuary

If any would do it, I think Microsoft would be stupid enough to.

Take a loss on the Xbox with the expectation of turning a huge profit with the 360.
Take a loss on the 720 with the expectation of monopolizing console sales with the Mobius.

StuBurns

Banned
The writer is specifically saying they should pay to make the next Xbox the only console with a next-gen port of the game. It would still be on both current gen consoles.

That's not going to do shit. To actually just buy Sony out of the market they need to lock them down completely, and for multiple years, like Nintendo with MonHun.

Sean

Banned
I can see both MS and Sony moneyhatting a promising new IP (Ubisoft's Watch Dogs for example) but no way in hell they'd be able to get an exclusive GTAV or CoD.

At best they'd be able to moneyhat timed-exclusive DLC for these games.

GavinGT

Banned
Take a loss on the Xbox with the expectation of turning a huge profit with the 360.
Take a loss on the 720 with the expectation of monopolizing console sales with the Mobius.

They likely have turned a huge profit on 360. And they said from the beginning they didn't expect overall profitability until their third generation.

That is even more stupid considering people are not going to buy a new console to play a suped-up port.

If anything, doesn't Rockstar owe Sony for that whole LA Noire debacle? Didn't Sony help fund that game?

Mrbob

The website for this article doesn't say Kotaku? I am confused. Guess it's time to stop reading Gamasutra now.

Quasar

Not that I'd think it would happen, but hey. I guess MS could even pony up and just buy Activision.

Just what portion of PS3 owners even bought GTA4?

QaaQer

So now third-party exclusives will never happen because they're too expensive? Gotcha.
Guess Sony has nothing to worry about. Just keep releasing systems on par with Microsoft for the indefinite future and third-parties will just naturally develop for both.
In fact, why bother paying for timed-exclusivity on COD maps and any DLC for that matter?
It's just pissing money away right, GAF?

And if Microsoft did have exclusivity of GTAV or Destiny or any game for that matter... it wouldn't matter.
People will naturally flock to Sony's first-party IPs regardless. Just like they do today for PS3 and Vita.
Everything is sunshine and lollipops.

Microsoft would need the most colossal hat filled with money that ever existed in order to realize any of this.
They would bankrupt their entire gaming division.
They'd never be that stupid.

Have I summed up this thread yet? Or do I need to go on?

Pretty much.

Top Bottom