• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: If MS moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Sony

A timed exclusive for a next gen console seems plausible to me.

Even if it's just a month.

In other words, it still comes out on the 360 and PS3, but if you want to play it in on a next gen machine, the new Xbox has it first for a short while.

RPGamer92

Banned
Because buying a new $400 toy just for a game that is already available on something you have makes a lot of sense./sarcasm

Ghazi

I think that their only opportunity for this was to buy CoD, which they could've got Activision in that big sale that Vivendi had a while ago and basically killed Sony that way. It was super expensive though, not nearing Rare expensive, but pretty expensive. Though we've all seen what they did to Rare and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, even the creators of Call of Duty

AmFreak

Read the threadtitle and thought another insanely dumb article this time, sadly, by Gamasutra.
Then i read the entire article and the op's thread title "Gamasutra: If MS moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Sony" is nowhere to be found ...

... i fear im going blind

Don't be crazy. You're basically saying the same thing as the Gamasutra writer but for CoD instead.

I dont expect it to be a real next gen game or anything.

Ir would basically be a 1080p port up.... and MS will brag like hell about it.

We probably wont see real next gen COD until 2014.

Duffyside

Banned
I kinda hope this really does happen, because I think this is the year that CoD, and maybe even GTA, take a big dive in significance.

I think Battlefield is planning for the future, with 64 player matches, now going 60FPS on the newer consoles, and lots of other improvements. I don't think Activision and what's left of Infinity Ward have anywhere near the brains to make any ballsy, necessary changes to CoD to keep up. I'm not saying CoD won't sell ten million this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells under 20 for the next title, which will be the beginning of it losing its importance.

Meanwhile, it's about time people realize how shitty Rockstar is. They don't make fun games anymore, and again, in comparison to other open world games that have come out since GTA IV, I expect GTA V to land with a little bit of a thud. I'm less confident about this than CoD, but a man can dream.

It'd be great to see Microsoft be so arrogant, like Sony was with the PS3, to think they can get away with not changing their awful Live formula because they moneyhatted GTA and CoD, only to see that all go to waste. Mmm... yes, please.

GavinGT

Banned
I dont expect it to be a real next gen game or anything.

Ir would basically be a 1080p port up.... and MS will brag like hell about it.

We probably wont see real next gen COD until 2014.

I could see them securing an exclusive next gen spinoff title, developed by one of Activion's three dozen Call of Duty studios.

MormaPope

Banned
Is gta really that popular still?

Nope. Sleeping Dogs and Just Cause 2 destroyed GTA IV in sales and GTA V is going to be the last GTA due to Rockstar shutting down.

I kinda hope this really does happen, because I think this is the year that CoD, and maybe even GTA, take a big dive in significance.

I think Battlefield is planning for the future, with 64 player matches, now going 60FPS on the newer consoles, and lots of other improvements. I don't think Activision and what's left of Infinity Ward have anywhere near the brains to make any ballsy, necessary changes to CoD to keep up. I'm not saying CoD won't sell ten million this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells under 20 for the next title, which will be the beginning of it losing its importance.

Meanwhile, it's about time people realize how shitty Rockstar is. They don't make fun games anymore, and again, in comparison to other open world games that have come out since GTA IV, I expect GTA V to land with a little bit of a thud. I'm less confident about this than CoD, but a man can dream.

It'd be great to see Microsoft be so arrogant, like Sony was with the PS3, to think they can get away with not changing their awful Live formula because they moneyhatted GTA and CoD, only to see that all go to waste. Mmm... yes, please.

2/10

I don't really like CoD that much either, but it's "significance" isn't going to be lost due to Battlefield 4. Next gen Call of duty if done right will be just as successful as before.

I think that their only opportunity for this was to buy CoD, which they could've got Activision in that big sale that Vivendi had a while ago and basically killed Sony that way. It was super expensive though, not nearing Rare expensive, but pretty expensive. Though we've all seen what they did to Rare and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, even the creators of Call of Duty

Rare cost 350 million. COD IP alone would probably cost a billion.

Shosai

Banned
Didn't Xbox 1 not have GTA, and PS2 had 3 of them? Xbox 1 didn't die. Gamecube didn't either.

All the GTA games were ported to the Xbox 1. However Xbox 1 was a giant net loss for Microsoft. Their gaming division never had a profitable year until around 2007.

Strangely, the Xbox 1 and Gamecube sold around the same number of consoles, yet Nintendo profited comfortably that entire generation.

GavinGT

Banned
All the GTA games were ported to the Xbox 1. However Xbox 1 was a giant net loss for Microsoft. Their gaming division never had a profitable year until around 2007.

Strangely, the Xbox 1 and Gamecube sold around the same number of consoles, yet Nintendo profited comfortably that entire generation.

It's not strange. It costs money to break into a cuthroat industry as a serious competitor.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Mandoric said:
If MS wanted to spend literally billions of dollars on having a year's head start, they'd have just plain launched last year and gotten total launch exclusivity over Sony instead of a title or two.

Exactly. The premise comes from a "system warrior" mindset, not a business one. At best, they are only going to be buying a short-term period of exclusivity, or some DLC. Which is an expensive way of maybe gaining a little advantage, there's always the danger of underperformance and/or the competition releasing something more popular.

Essentially its s a better "dick" move, than a piece of business strategy. Compensating Rockstar sufficiently that they'd even contemplate it... would be very expensive, too expensive, especially when these two new platforms apparently share so many technical similarities.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I posted practically this exact same premise two weeks ago. If MS gets COD next-gen as a 3 or 6 month exclusive, shows Destiny as a 6-month exclusive and shows a teaser w/ concept next-gen gameplay of Halo 5 at their E3 event, then it's pretty much game over since that first year is everything.

It basically comes down to MS forking over like $200 mil+ to get COD and seal the deal. They're "ruthless" enough to do it.

Shosai

Banned
It's not strange. It costs money to break into a cuthroat industry as a serious competitor.

I'm saying its surprising for two companies to have vastly different bottom lines, despite selling the same amount of hardware. People look at the low sales of the Gamecube and assume Nintendo lost money on the platform, when in reality it pulled more profit for them than the N64 and maybe the SNES.

But Nintendo and Sony struck success on their first attempts. Arguably, Sega did too. Few companies have the desire (or deep pockets) to push an entire hardware generation as a loss-leader. Sony held the same approach with the PS3 when they really didn't need to.

No, it's really not. Sony didn't even have a HD system for the first year of the 360, and they're still going to finish up in second place.

Second place in...consoles sold? Net profit?

StuBurns

Banned
I posted practically this exact same premise two weeks ago. If MS gets COD next-gen as a 3 or 6 month exclusive, shows Destiny as a 6-month exclusive and shows a teaser w/ concept next-gen gameplay of Halo 5 at their E3 event, then it's pretty much game over since that first year is everything.

It basically comes down to MS forking over like $200 mil+ to get COD and seal the deal. They're "ruthless" enough to do it.
No, it's really not. Sony didn't even have a HD system for the first year of the 360, and they're still going to finish up in second place.

Duffyside

Banned
Nope. Sleeping Dogs and Just Cause 2 destroyed GTA IV in sales and GTA V is going to be the last GTA due to Rockstar shutting down.

2/10

I don't really like CoD that much either, but it's "significance" isn't going to be lost due to Battlefield 4. Next gen Call of duty if done right will be just as successful as before.

1/10

I used to love CoD. It's already losing some of its importance, albeit slowly, and the remnants of Infinity Ward trying to make another one amidst the excitement of new consoles and a DICE team able to finally match what they've already planned for on PC with Battlefield 3 will be enough to finally have CoD start to die.

iLyaXXTd0Pd9v.gif

Do you really think 200m is enough to buy exclusivity for something like CoD? I'm pretty sure that Activision is one of the few game companies that has no debt. A big part of that is because they put their games on every console possible to make as much money as they can. So for them not to do that then someone is going to have to fork over a hell of a lot more than 200m.

What's their basis for this, because it happened last time? Yeah and it didn't work out well for them either as sales of the DLC were disappointing. Pure speculation, therefore BS until there's something more behind it.

Sales were disappointing? Source?

burnfout

Call of Duty lifetime sales are over 6 billion. If MS wanted to lock the whole franchise down they would have to pay half + probably a risk factor on top of that, so 3,5 billion.

Locking down 1 Call of Duty title would probably cost half a billion at least. So no never ever gonna happen.

http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2012-06-04/call-of-duty-lifetime-revenues-reach-6-billion

Same thing with GTA: GTA launched pretty early in the gen and amassed lifetime sales of 25 million. Locking that down would cost an enormous amount of money with no guarantee PS4 will sell less because of it.

MormaPope

Banned
1/10

I used to love CoD. It's already losing some of its importance, albeit slowly, and the remnants of Infinity Ward trying to make another one amidst the excitement of new consoles and a DICE team able to finally match what they've already planned for on PC with Battlefield 3 will be enough to finally have CoD start to die.

0/10

CoD could die in it's current form, a yearly release thing might be hard to keep up for the next 50 years, but the series isn't going anywhere. Once significant decline happens, Activision will make sure whatever developer gets the call of duty will get a bigger budget and more time to develop something new.

Activision must have a gigantic war chest built up now, they'll use it once something gets close to dethroning their success.

Duffyside

Banned
0/10

CoD could die in it's current form, a yearly release thing might be hard to keep up for the next 50 years, but the series isn't going anywhere. Once significant decline happens, Activision will make sure whatever developer gets the call of duty will get a bigger budget and more time to develop something new.

Activision must have a gigantic war chest built up now, they'll use it once something gets close to dethroning their success.

NegativeI'mmockingthisstupidmeme/10

Because throwing money at things always fixes them.

Lots of reasons why this is stupid fantasy writing, but here's the first three points that instantly spring to mind:

--With the kind of money it would take to score exclusives on both franchises, (I'm guessing a cool $1B at least) Microsoft could just drop the price on their first 20m consoles (the most expensive ones they make) by $50, which would be a whole lot more effective if the goal is moving consoles and putting the hurt on the competition.

--Also, and perhaps most importantly, why would third-parties WANT a major player/system dead? A healthy market with lots of competition and lots of consoles secures third-parties from having one monolithic entity controlling their market--what they can charge for games and services, ect. No, a big developer would be stupid to do the above, because they don't want to hurt the current landscape--that there are multiple big console manufacturers competing and making the market larger for their products.

--And third, no third-party would do that with a flagship title that had a long history of being previously multi-plat, unless they got paid ridiculous money, because doing so would alienate all the Sony fanboys for years, hurting their ability to sell the many other titles they'd like to sell to that market.​

1/10

If the rumors is true, Battlefield on Next-gen consoles will be good. 64 players at 60 fps in 64 player maps I think.

Sean

Banned
That is even more stupid considering people are not going to buy a new console to play a suped-up port.

I'm not so sure about that. PC gamers update their rig to play their games library with better graphics/performance, movie fans rebuy their collection on Blu-Ray, etc. I think even a suped-up port would be something of a system seller.

And unlike some of these annualized games being mentioned (CoD) it'll probably be years before a true next-gen GTA is released.

MormaPope

Banned
NegativeI'mmockingthisstupidmeme/10

Because throwing money at things always fixes them.

It's not really throwing money at them, CoD has been using the same assets and engine for many years now. The actual budget without marketing dollars for CoD is probably extremely cheap, if Activision let the series cool off for just a few years, the developers they have would probably do something different with the time and extra resources at least.

Ding-Ding

Wow, with these recent leaks regarding the new consoles coming so soon after Christmas. It seems like the silly season has been extended this year.

First a myth regarding special sauce, then this nonsense.

Are people really that blinded by brand loyalty...

(Silly question)

Top Bottom