• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: If MS moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Sony

Some journalist seem to miss the plot. Success it's a fickle thing, and these companies main business it's making money. Investors will murder MSFT for the over a billion dollar they would have to pay Activision and Rockstar. There's also the fact that the void left by these franchises could (even though highly unlikely) be filled by a newcomer thus the brand could be impacted and lose relevancy in the publics eye.

It's stupid business, then again all companies make dumb mistakes. However I think people need to understand that the razor model it's dead, these companies are aiming to make money since day 1. The best we could get it's a console sold at cost and the platform holders with subscriptions in order to stablish a "fixed" revenue stream from consumers.

Karak

The thing is that publishers DON'T want an entire console to die.

Do they?

Perhaps not but then again, despite what we all want to think. There are not just 2 consoles and the consoles aren't the only things that can play games these days...that isn't including the PC of course.

apana

Well, no, but what if they paid for lots of others too? No Assassin's Creed, no Battlefield, no Fifa, no Madden, no Respawn game, then they'd kill PS4. It'd cost about ten billion dollars to do it, but that's money well spent to end Sony's residence in the market I guess.

This would be a horrible idea. Even if Microsoft CEO wanted to do something like that I think the other execs would have him arrested.

Resilient

There are gonna be some serious meltdowns come holiday season. The chances of this happening are so slim. Such a pipe dream. Gamasutra should be proud they concocted such a shit storm though.

After reading this article about GTAV being delayed until the fall: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185855/Why_GTA_Vs_delay_could_cause_an_industrywide_ripple_effect.php

It looks like MS can easily make Orbis a non-factor.

If MS can make sure that COD doesnt show up on Orbis next gen as well, I see the Orbis dead.

Remember, this means means that GTAV/COD would be on x360, PS3, and 720 but not Orbis. It does not mean that GTAV/COD would be a 720 exclusive. Bungie's game would be a 720 exclusive.

And if that happens, I don't know how Sony could recover. They have no IP that comes anywhere close to those titles except possibly Grand Turismo. And they don't have the money to throw away like they did in 2006.

edit: could be worse than losing monster hunter for vita in Japan.

Extremely slim chance of that happening, especially considering how well GTA4 performed on both systems. Imagine if all of Call of Duty was exclusive to Sony? Again, very slim chance of that happening.

It would be akin to Square putting FFVII on PS1.
If Microsoft could afford it, it would be a game changer.

Not even close. You have no idea the amount of money that would have to change hands. Investors would kill MSFT in the stock market. Nevermind the fact that they don't like the Xbox division for the Opportunity Cost it has for them.

It's a shame seeing this article by Gama, I hold them in high regard and will just overlook this article as a 1 time slip.

Takao

Banned
This article alone is enough for me to stop thinking highly of Gamasutra. This is Kotaku/IGN/bottom of the barrel blog drivel.

Zee-Row

Banned
GTA's selling power isn't what it used to be. MS getting exclusive DLC for GTA4 for the first year didn't help them much either.

The thing is that publishers DON'T want an entire console to die.

Do they?

Dat one console future. Makes for cheaper dev costs, reduced marketing costs, and zero port costs.

Ask publishers duing the Nintendo's SNES era or Sony's PS2 era, was it cheaper/better for them in general to not have to bother to port their games to the other insignificant consoles and focus 100% of their manpower on just the winning platform?

I'd hazard a yes.

Too late for that to happen though. All three are firmly entrenched and are in it for the long run.

Didnt MS paid like $50m for GTA4 dlc timed exclusivity?
Imagine how much would be for a full game. lol

Looking at the fact that COD makes Billions in revenue you make the math :p I'm thinking 500 million for each. Both a cool billion and there's also the fact they need to worry about the marketing expenses for their new Xbox & all it's features, the Windows 8 lukewarm reception, the Windows Phone issues, the PC decline, etc.

I wish no ill will to MSFT, but I don't see an scenario in which they pull this stunt and the stock market doesn't react negatively to it. I wish they don't do it, not because of Sony, but because what could happen to them if they do.

I have no doubt in my mind there will be a next gen GTA V. Perhaps at launch for both consoles. But no way in hell would it be exclusive for either.

only if you're counting on next-gen systems being backwards compatible.

by the time next-gen systems come out GTAV will be several months old. who in the world would care about playing an old previous-gen game on their brand new next-gen system?

Some journalist seem to miss the plot. Success it's a fickle thing, and these companies main business it's making money. Investors will murder MSFT for the over a billion dollar they would have to pay Activision and Rockstar. There's also the fact that the void left by these franchises could (even though highly unlikely) be filled by a newcomer thus the brand could be impacted and lose relevancy in the publics eye.

Yep. Your typical Microsoft investor isn't some fanboy on a videogame forum who thinks the XBox Division is a huge deal. Microsoft investors don't see Sony as any threat, even in the living room. They see Apple and Google as threats. And they're right.

DESTROYA

Could it happen? Sure
Will it happen?
Uh no!
I really don't see developers pissing off a lot people enough to possibly hurt future sales, no matter how much they give then now

A years exclusive of high profile multiplatform games would definitely mean they gain a high share of the market around launch. It wouldn't be a bad idea but it'd be hell of scummy for the people who picked up the PS4 day one.

Would cost a good half a billion to lock down COD I'd imagine.

I obviously just pulled that number out of my ass but I just can't even begin to estimate how much that franchise would cost to buy.

EMT0

Banned
Let's go back a generation to the PS2 era. Oh, hey, look, both MS and Nintendo were still alive, despite GTA, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, and god knows how many other franchises being PS-exclusive.

I think Gamasutra is really reaching here. Must be a slow news day.

EDIT: I know it isn't Sony's style, but is anything stopping them from moneyhatting shit too, other than poor performance in recent years? Because Sony does have the money in reserve to buy 3rd party exclusives.

Yep. Your typical Microsoft investor isn't some fanboy on a videogame forum who thinks the XBox Division is a huge deal. Microsoft investors don't see Sony as any threat, even in the living room. They see Apple and Google as threats. And they're right.

I know, we need to understand the amount of money these IP make. We are talking about Billions, Billions, at the time that Sony could do it it costed them less (speculation) around 1% of what it would cost now. Heck an unknown IP costed over 50 million and the deal even was void because of the cost to develop games nowadays.

Soul_Pie

There's not even any guarantee that COD will be such an enormous series next generation, or GTA. The next GTA might not come for a very long time as well and I'm not entirely sure it's the massive draw it once was. Just seems like a hair brained scheme and Microsoft aren't in a desperate position and don't need to gain leverage, they're coming off a pretty strong generation considering how much of a step up they made from the original xbox.

Plus, you'd think that Microsoft spending 300 million on Rare or whatever the amount was taught them that simply throwing money at something doesn't pay off. I couldn't imagine how much it would cost to have COD off the PS4.

Can't you easily interchange the game companies/systems here and still have an article?

"If MS moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Sony"
"If Sony moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill MS"
"If Nintendo moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill MS/Sony"

More far-fetched ones:
"If Apple moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Android"
"If AT&T moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Verizon"
"If ABC moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill NBC"

Back to the first reply (which always wins), Doesn't happen.

QaaQer

It's stupid business, then again all companies make dumb mistakes. However I think people need to understand that the razor model it's dead, these companies are aiming to make money since day 1. The best we could get it's a console sold at cost and the platform holders with subscriptions in order to stablish a "fixed" revenue stream from consumers.

Microsoft wrote down 6.2 billion last year, and nobody cared. http://allthingsd.com/20120719/aquantive-write-down-deflates-microsoft-earnings/ If they want to moneyhat, they will.

And I still dont understand why people think it would be so hard to moneyhat a game away from a single system that has a zero install base. Just to repeat: the speculation is about keeping GTAV away from Orbis not ps3. As far as Bungie's new game goes, iirc the court documents showed it to be an MS exclusive. If activision is willing to make that game an eclusive, whats so strange about them using COD in the same way as GTAV, that is keeping it off Orbis but still releasing a PS3 version?

B.O.O.M

So on Durango, PS3, 360 but not Orbis?

I don't think this will ever happen but even if it did..I think you are seriously overestimating what a late port of a GTA game can do for a system

Well, no, but what if they paid for lots of others too? No Assassin's Creed, no Battlefield, no Fifa, no Madden, no Respawn game, then they'd kill PS4. It'd cost about ten billion dollars to do it, but that's money well spent to end Sony's residence in the market I guess.
Probably the dumbest post I've seen you make, Stuey. 10 billion dollars well spent? No company has such money to blow, not even Apple.

Because Sony and Nintendo have the funds to do this right? Article is odd and this situation would never happen, but Microsoft might be the only console manufacturer to be able to do this zany shit.

Fanboy accusations are always the most trite observations.

What am I a fanboy of for suggesting the only way this article gets written is if the author is super keen on writing out their 'how I learnt to stop worrying and love the moneyhats' speculation?

Common sense?

With that money MS should just moneyhatt Sony.
Also. Yes this is a fanboy article. What else could it be? Quite a ridiculous one anyway.

Opiate

And what if Apple Moneyhatted Rockstar and Valve and Bethesda? It would be over!

All these possibilities are making me dizzy.

I don't think it would actually make a much of a difference tbh, a port a couple of months after the game has already been out elsewhere i don't see doing big numbers against whatever exclusive stuff there already is. It wouldn't make a difference if to the 720 if Sony got an "next gen exclusivity" port either imo.

Exclusives or Timed exclusives of actual next gen games would be money better spent imo.

Resilient

What if I money hatted Microsoft and then gave them to Sony? Then what?? HUH?!

answer:
Nintendo would be doomed.

Top Bottom