• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: If MS moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Sony

The thing is that publishers DON'T want an entire console to die.

Do they?

no, and they (third parties) also want/love systems at parity, which is why they'll always develop at lowest common denominator. they're looking for greatest entertainment share, so they don't want the audience of an entire other system playing something else. they want everyone to play/buy what they create, all the time.

AOC83

Banned
As long as they don´t get GTA VI exclusive it wouldn´t be a huge problem. Most people will get GTA V on 360/PS3 anyway.

Ashler

Yeah, highly doubt that GTA 5 be an xbox exclusive (if it were to happen) would kill Sony.

Actually, let me rephrase that, I doubt that any single multi-platform game moving to an exclusive for any single console would kill that console. Could it hurt said console hardware sales (bundled in) for some time? maybe... but if a console's success was measured over a single IP, it would not last very long anyway.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The last thing the game publishers want to encourage is a Microsoft monopoly

Binabik15

An early exclusive when at best Durango could sell out its first couple of shipments and Orbis at worst could have a front loaded launch from Sony fans with a few months of a draught until more games pour in? Especially with the games being on the older consoles and maybe PC? Would certainly kill some buzz and maybe lead to eraly PS3 like performance, but Sony managed to climb out if an even worse situation with PS3 where the global economy was tanking just as they got some good games for their 599 currencies of choice console that bled money like crazy.

No, MS can't kill PS4 unless they moneyhat CoD, GTA and ALL the sports games, IMO. Even then it'd probably have a profitable if niche life, like Gamecube, unless Sony is planning massive losses on hw sold again.

As long as they don´t get GTA VI exclusive it wouldn´t be a huge problem. Most people will get GTA V on 360/PS3 anyway.

This, GTA V is a current gen game. Its possible there could be a next gen version that may have improved textures etc, would probably be similar to the PC version.

Where MS has a chance in putting one over on Sony is through timed exclusive content, Map packs in COD and expansions of GTA. But Kill Sony as thread says, no way :)

Even if GTA and COD never released on the PS4 (even though it would not happen) Sony's sales would still be fine.

CrisKre

Every new gen is a clean slate. Did this people start gaming in 2007 or something? Its to early to predict ANYTHING about next gen.

it's an interesting article, but I feel exclusives (outside of first party offerings) just aren't financially viable any more.

the best that either can hope for is timed exclusive downloadable content, be that missions, characters, full blown episodes / expansions.

where the new battles lies for exclusives will be drawn next gen is in the digital domain. indie / niche titles published through their respective online stores will feature heavily I feel next gen. both will be on the look out for the next Minecraft, the next Trials, the next Journey and so on.

then there's the new IP battle. these may also feature heavily as well, microsoft are all buy guaranteed to lay down big bucks for whatever epic are working on after they struck success with gears of war. sony might not be as willing due to their excellent and incredibly talented first party studios, but even they may surprise us.

but established AAA big budget third party exclusives? I just can't see it happening any more.

Krilekk

Banned
Microsoft would have to drop what, half a billion dollars at least to pry CoD away from PS4? C'mon man.

Step 1: Buy CoD as an exclusive
Step 2: Double Xbox Live fees to $10 a month
Step 3: Profit

I don't see it as likely but definitely possible. They spent the same amount of money to market Kinect.

Rhindle

An exclusive GTA V port wouldn't be that big a deal to begin with. The new consoles are not likely to launch before November, at which point GTA V would have been in release for a couple of months, and everyone who wants to will have played it.

An exclusive window on the next COD is actually plausible. If Activision is doing a cross-gen release and publishing it on 360/PS3 as well, they would not be foregoing a huge amount of sales by keeping it off one of the next gen platforms for a few months.

this is not the kind of article i'd expect from gamasutra...
I agree, from here on out.
tumblr_m59l7oUmRI1rs810go1_400.jpg

Jachaos

Gamasutra are usually really professional and one of the best sources for academic, research or serious analysis purposes (along with GameStudies and others). I can't say I really understand where this has come from.

The thing is they don't have to pay for a full exclusive. If they paid for a timed exclusive of even just a few months, it would have a huge impact.

Step 1: Buy CoD as an exclusive
Step 2: Double Xbox Live fees to $10 a month
Step 3: Profit

there's method to the madness. it might have worked earlier this generation, after modern warfare, but it's far too late now. the best either can hope for is timed exclusive dlc.

Corto

The amount of money necessary to make COD and GTA5 exclusive to any platform should be enough deterrent. And COD is already showing yoy diminishing numbers, Activision wouldn't want to restrict even more its target audience. The blood shed should be fantastic though, and I'm not so sure it would be on the opposite side of the exclusivity agreement.

ActionMan

Why stop there? MS should buy every 3rd party game exclusivity and compensate the publishers for loss of volume. Makes total sense. Good business decisions of a profitable company, those.

Famassu

The thing is they don't have to pay for a full exclusive. If they paid for a timed exclusive of even just a few months, it would have a huge impact.
No it wouldn't. A majority of GTAV's buyers are on PS3, Xbox 360 & PC, not Nextbox. The impact would be minimal, at best.

I don't think even GTAVI would be that major a strike against Orbis. GTAV is being released in late 2013, possibly mere months before the next-gen arrives. Developing GTAVI will undoubtedly take at least 3 years, if not more. At that point no one game can kill a console. It can help Durango gain a bigger lead on Orbis or help Durango catch up to Orbis (whichever is the situation), but outright kill Orbis? lol.

Maybe if the article had been better we'd have a better standard of discussion. They wrote a stupid article and deserve to be called out for it. Mind you, we haven't reached Kotaku levels.

I concede that article direction / basis wasn't the most wise, but I still feel there's an interesting dicussion to be had. it's obviously not possible due to the basis of the article though, maybe at some point in the future, but I feel this discussion (regarding exclusivity and how important it will be) is a pretty interesting one.

TheOddOne

If Gamesutra made Kotaku-like headlines, they'd get more hits.

Unusual bait driven article from Gamesutra, they are better than this.

No it wouldn't. A majority of GTAV's buyers are on PS3, Xbox 360 & PC, not Nextbox. The impact would be minimal, at best.

I don't think even GTAVI would be that major a strike against Orbis. GTAV is being released in late 2013, possibly mere months before the next-gen arrives. Developing GTAVI will undoubtedly take at least 3 years, if not more. At that point no one game can kill a console. It can help Durango gain a bigger lead on Orbis or help Durango catch up to Orbis (whichever is the situation), but outright kill Orbis? lol.

The impact would be huge. I didn't say kill. 360 has Minecraft, ps3 doesn't. Big impact, but doesn't kill anything.

Hindle

Banned
MS have invested heavily in new studios for the next gen so they don't have to pay for as many 3rd party games. This rumour contradicts everything they been building in the last few years. Hence why it's BS.

Famassu

The impact would be huge. I didn't say kill. 360 has Minecraft, ps3 doesn't. Big impact, but doesn't kill anything.
The impact wouldn't be huge at all for the simple reason I already mentioned, there are three other platforms with vastly bigger userbases than Durango would have. The impact would be miniscule, especially relative to the amount of $$$ MS would probably have to pay for it.

Minecrafts 360 has sold really well, but has its impact been that big, really? I haven't really been following sales-age that much, but I don't remember reading anything about Minecraft being a huge deal in the competition between PS3 & 360.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
On a side note.

What has the standard of games come to when an utterly poor game like COD is so popular that it hypothetically being made exclusive for the 720 actually stimulates discussion about Orbis failing due to the lack of said game?

Every new gen is a clean slate. Did this people start gaming in 2007 or something? Its to early to predict ANYTHING about next gen.

I suggest you never visit one of the Orbis or Durango "leak" threads, that's what at least half of the posters in there do every time a nugget of rumored information comes out.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If Gamesutra made Kotaku-like headlines, they'd get more hits.

Unusual bait driven article from Gamesutra, they are better than this.

I don't know if you clicked the link but the actual title is "Why GTA V's delay could cause an industry-wide ripple effect"

it then goes on to speculate about a why GTA might have been delayed including the recent gun violence debate in America, possible console exclusive or the most likely (and most boring) it just needs more time and what all that could mean for other games.

the OP did a good job picking out the more inflammatory part and turning it into click bait though.

Fantasmo

Better thread title:

Sensationalist article by Gamasutra shows Gamasutra may go under if it doesn't start getting more clicks.

Edit: wait the article doesn't even say that that's your title. Wtf OP?

I agree. In general there's definitely an interesting discussion to be had, but I'm not entirely sure if that's meaningful before we've seen the consoles.

true, but there is still a basis for such a discussion, regardless of what we know about the consoles. at the same time it is better to wait until we have a more deeper understanding of what both consoles will be offering next gen.

Better thread title:

Sensationalist article by Gamasutra shows Gamasutra may go under if it doesn't start getting more clicks.

Edit: wait the article doesn't even say that that's your title. Wtf OP?

I don't particularly agree that the faults lies on the OP. he made a thread using a select quote, it was up to everyone else to read the entire article and base their discussion on that instead of what the title and the quote suggested.

Gamasutra really?

really what?

TheOddOne

I don't know if you clicked the link but the actual title is "Why GTA V's delay could cause an industry-wide ripple effect"

it then goes on to speculate about a why GTA might have been delayed including the recent gun violence debate in America, possible console exclusive or the most likely (and most boring) it just needs more time and what all that could mean for other games.

the OP did a good job picking out the more inflammatory part and turning it into click bait though.
I read the article, but I totally tuned out and didn't read the orginal title. My bad, Gamasutra.

Top Bottom