• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: If MS moneyhatted an exclusive next-gen version of GTA5, they'd kill Sony

I thought GTAV was coming for this generation of consoles?

what would be the point of releasing it on a next-gen platform as well? that would just make people think the next-gen system is only as powerful as the current gen.

If any would do it, I think Microsoft would be stupid enough to.

And a bunch of gaffers would be stupid enough to cheer them on.

Hell's yeah, kill that competition, kill it dead.

Also I don't know a lot of people who still think as highly of gta as they did after san andreas.

There's better gta games nowadays that aren't called gta.

MS doesn't care about this. They don't care about these kinds of games anymore. Maybe for the 1st or 2nd year of the console life, then it's hellooooooo Kinect stuff for the rest of your life.

Truespeed

Microsoft is doing a good job at killing themselves. Pretty much everything they've released recently has flopped (Windows Phone, Surface RT, Windows 8). I expect it to continue with Durango as they continue to try and shove Modern UI (not really) and Kinect down the public's throat.

Duffyside

Banned
Also, I don't think people will flock to one console over the other for a better version of the game they can already buy and play on current platforms. If MS buys GTA and CoD, it will matter for GTA VI, and CoD Black Ops III.

FyreWulff

Microsoft paid 50 million just for timed exclusive DLC.

I don't think they're going to open up their checkbook for permanent total platform exclusivity.

GTA 5 will next current gen consoles. who will care about a next gen version?

GTA6 is 2-3 years away. By then, both consoles will be platforms rockstar would want their title on.

Omega

Banned
if gta5 would still be on 360/ps3, how does this help microsoft?

do you really think people will pay $460 minimum to play GTA instead of $60?

So incredibly dumb, it's mind boggling. It sounds like one of the playground arguments I'd have when I was 13 years old, even dumber than the stupid "Microsoft's going to buy Capcom" rumours that we got at the start of this gen.

Why the fuck would Microsoft bother with this in the first place? They'd lose an absolute shitload of money buying the exclusive(s) at a time when they're not in a particularly comfortable position. They'd hurt their reputation enormously, as it'd be a completely obvious power grab. If it were successful, they'd almost certainly be under intense scrutiny (from the EU at least, the US would probably shrug it off after a couple of "donations"). And all of that for what? To take over an incredibly volatile industry that they've lost more money in than earned?

I don't even have to take into account Activision or Take 2's position. It's not going to happen. It's never going to happen. It's completely ludicrous. It's sheer idiocy. Well done Gamasutra.

P90

I don't play GTA or CoD. One system having exclusiveness for those titles won't change my perspective. I don't see how it would "kill" Sony either.

Flatline

Banned
So incredibly dumb, it's mind boggling. It sounds like one of the playground arguments I'd have when I was 13 years old, even dumber than the stupid "Microsoft's going to buy Capcom" rumours that we got at the start of this gen.

Why the fuck would Microsoft bother with this in the first place? They'd lose an absolute shitload of money buying the exclusive(s) at a time when they're not in a particularly comfortable position. They'd hurt their reputation enormously, as it'd be a completely obvious power grab. If it were successful, they'd almost certainly be under intense scrutiny (from the EU at least, the US would probably shrug it off after a couple of "donations"). And all of that for what? To take over an incredibly volatile industry that they've lost more money in than earned?

I don't even have to take into account Activision or Take 2's position. It's not going to happen. It's never going to happen. It's completely ludicrous. It's sheer idiocy. Well done Gamasutra.

But what if Microsoft bought both Activision and Take 2? Let's write an article about that!

That hat would have to be veeery big. Plus why get in bad terms with a company that also owns a couple of other platforms. Also, I hardly think this would make that much of an impact outside NA.

Brera

Banned
No way will Activision give up PS4 game sales. Plus MS wouldnt be able to money hat that big. Shareholders won't be happy.

Also, IMO the GTA exclusivity deal was bad for the GTA brand. They would have got better sales and kept the brand in the public eye if the two DLC eps were originally just released as Liberty City stories on everything as a disc based sequelitis.

UberTag

I don't get this thread. Is this a troll thread?
Might as well be.
It's letting GAF get all of their "how dare Sony be denied a game" excuses out of the way.
It'll be good practice for later.

I can tell you that the tone of this thread would be decidedly different if the rumor was Sony moneyhatting GTA as an exclusive for Orbis and denying Durango.

Incidentally, I think it would be a wiser expenditure of money on Microsoft's part to undercut the PS4 price (subsidized by XBL/cable contract or otherwise) vs. securing third-party exclusives out of the gate. Especially of titles that will be available current gen systems as well.

Go for the kill with moneyhats when you have install base leverage a year or two down the road when you can make a stronger case.

Grief.exe

Microsoft paid 50 million just for timed exclusive DLC.

I don't think they're going to open up their checkbook for permanent total platform exclusivity.

Can I get a source on this?

MS would have been better off just starting a new open-world IP at that price. I know that's not the total cost of a game of that size, but MS would have seen better return on investment that way.

Omega

Banned
I don't play GTA or CoD. One system having exclusiveness for those titles won't change my perspective. I don't see how it would "kill" Sony either.

..because not every gamer is like you?

GTA and CoD are 10 million copy sellers each. Some play one and not the other, so that's maybe 15 million potential buyers lost.

15 million is a pretty big gap to overcome.

StuBurns

Banned
The $50M thing was never really cleared up. TakeTwo called it an interest free loan on GTA4's performance, meaning the first $50M GTA4 made on 360, should have gone to Microsoft, a lot of people think it was purely a moneyhat, but we don't really know.

If it were successful, they'd almost certainly be under intense scrutiny (from the EU at least, the US would probably shrug it off after a couple of "donations").

But wait! Microsoft could just buy Europe and the US, and then ban Sony products! Imagine how lucrative that would be!

whitehawk

Banned
Microsoft paying for timed exclusive rights to DLC is compeltely different than getting exclusive rights for the entire game, even if it was timed. Not to mention since it's being released on current gen systems it would be a waste of time and money.

There are plenty of rumors being whispered currently that Microsoft is looking to money hat around 7 third party exclusives for the Durango launch window. I've heard about a few ok-ish games but nothing as massive as gta or cod. But im guessing that gamasutra has heard the same things and are extrapolating a bit.

Or they are fishing for clicks, hard.

GavinGT

Banned
The $50M thing was never really cleared up. TakeTwo called it an interest free loan on GTA4's performance, meaning the first $50M GTA4 made on 360, should have gone to Microsoft, a lot of people think it was purely a moneyhat, but we don't really know.

Also, the original scoop never said anything about timed exclusivity. The DLC was originally touted as permanently exclusive. The deal was also at one point referred to as a "down payment", implying that there would be future payments to keep it exclusive.

My guess is it was something like, "Pay us $50 million now and you'll get timed exclusivity, but you can pretend it's permanent. Then, if you want to renew the deal in a year you can pay us even more."

That's just a guess, though. I don't think anybody outside of Microsoft or Take-Two knows the full story.

dookeh

What if Microsoft paid Sony for the PlayStation brand and then released a really crappy console with no games destroying PlayStation forever. WHAT THEN?

(Keep in mind, those Destiny court documents that came out during Activision's legal fight with Jason West and Vince Zampella indicate that Destiny will be exclusive to the system as well, so having GTA in the fold as well would be a killer one-two punch.)

I thought that court document only showed that at best Microsoft could get a timed exclusive out of Destiny or am I wrong on that?

Karak

Agreed on that it is dumb.

However it wouldn't do anything to anyones reputation that is as nebulous as saying their feelings would be hurt if it happened. Backstabbing deals and nefarious dealings happen all the time and no one cares if its a "power grab". Besides as a power grab its sadly lacking in true power. Additionally this stuff happens once a gen or so anyway and MS, Sony and Nintendo are all here and none have been hampered by their dealings in the past.

Additionally there is no scrutiny that would occur over this from a regulatory commission of any kind. Agreements of this kind don't trigger those investigations because they actually don't break any rules. If they did half the entertainment/electronics business would be out of commission 15 years ago.

But agree that it is stupid for those other reasons. It really doesn't get them much and would cost a bundle.

Then again if it was just for exclusivity of a next gen system title only. Who knows. MS is in the market for some IP's. But for that they could go with maybe 4-5 second party titles. That would be some series bread. But hey its happened before so who knows.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I have no doubt in my mind there will be a next gen GTA V. Perhaps at launch for both consoles. But no way in hell would it be exclusive for either.

Top Bottom