• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2017: Super Mario Odyssey Best of Show

emb

I don't see Metroid Prime making next E3 in a playable state. If they're just now starting development it's likely a 2019 title.

Beyond that, Metroid Prime is gonna have to do something really groundbreaking to live up to the hype that Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey generated.
I'm kinda thinking the same. I'm hopeful for Metroid to be ready to wow us next year, but when they couldn't even give a little bit of visual this year... odds don't look great.

I can see it being really impressive when it does show up though. Zelda and Mario both had a certain level of predictability; a new game like Mario 64, a more open-world than usual Zelda. But both knocked it out of the park and really over delivered on those concepts, while also adding surprises we didn't know we wanted.

Why? The way the reinvented Mario and Zelda, why not Metroid?

I believe it'll be Prime in just a name, I don't think it'll be exactly like previous games, and I do see them changing the formula after successfully doing it with their biggest franchises.

Even if the next Metroid is groundbreaking, it's simply not going to receive the level of interest and excitement that a new Zelda or Mario brings. It's just not happening. That's not to say it won't show well or win some awards, but it's not going to be close to the level of unanimous praise that BotW and Odyssey have gotten, regardless of how good it is. Metroid is not a very big franchise, especially when compared to those two.

This is also assuming they have a full demo ready for next year, which I highly doubt.

oti

Banned
Just a simple iteration of Animal Crossing would be great, but a more in-depth/involved game could be revolutionary.

simple iteration really shouldn't win best of show imo

But it seems as if Nintendo is really daring with their franchise now. BOTW with its initial difficulty and openness, Mario ditching traditional power ups and going back to sandbox levels. I hope they continue that trend with other franchises. Not Yoshi and Kirby, those games are fine for what they are. But AC? Definitely. I hope Nintendo looks at something like Stardew Valley and learns the right lessons.

mas8705

Best of Show
Super Mario Odyssey
(Nintendo for Nintendo Switch)

Best Original Game
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
(Ubisoft Paris/Ubisoft Milan/Ubisoft for Nintendo Switch)

As awesome as it would have been that Mario + Rabbids winning "Best of Show" at E3, I think that getting "Best Original Game" is definitely the next best thing. As such, I still politely demand that we get to hear a speech from the game's creative director! Seriously, to have a game that was torn apart before the show just because of the concept alone to where it is now where it is one of the highest praised games at the show (and it with Rabbids no less), this is a huge accomplishment and they deserve as much kudos as can be given to them.

As for best fighting game, no surprises there either.

Takat

Even if the next Metroid is groundbreaking, it's simply not going to receive the level of interest and excitement that a new Zelda or Mario brings. It's just not happening. That's not to say it won't show well or win some awards, but it's not going to be close to the level of unanimous praise that BotW and Odyssey have gotten, regardless of how good it is. Metroid is not a very big franchise, especially when compared to those two.

This is also assuming they have a full demo ready for next year, which I highly doubt.

I think Metroid has been worked on for a few years, and I think they didn't show much because they wanted to still keep it in wraps. The reaction from the gaming press and audience in general was Awe, and a lot of enthusiasm.

I do see a groundbreaking Metroid making the same impact. Metroid Prime made a huge impact back in the day, and sold very well because it was ground breaking and got a tons of praise.

I think Metroid has been worked on for a few years, and I think they didn't show much because they wanted to still keep it in wraps. The reaction from the gaming press and audience in general was Awe, and a lot of enthusiasm.

I do see a groundbreaking Metroid making the same impact. Metroid Prime made a huge impact back in the day, and sold very well because it was ground breaking and got a tons of praise.

I'm not saying a new Metroid won't review well, be received well, or sell well.

I'm saying it's not going to receive the level of unanimous praise and excitement at E3 that is reserved for something like a new Zelda or Mario. The IP simply isn't on the same level. And because of that, Nintendo is unlikely to put a heavy focus on Metroid Prime 4 at E3 in the same way they did for those two franchises. Unless they have little else to show for Switch next year, which I doubt.

mas8705

We are in agreement that no matter what the next Metroid game provides (whether if we are talking about Samus returns or even Prime 4), it isn't going to match Breath of the Wild or Odyssey in any capacity. Let's be honest though: while it would be unfair to try and compare any future games to these two, it would still fall under the "apples vs oranges" argument; something to which when we look at the Metroid series as a whole has done fairly well for itself (especially considering it contributed to the ever so popular "Metroidvania" genre). My hopes though is that when we get to this time next year, we will see Prime 4 in a playable form. Who knows if it will happen, but it would be nice rather than just showing the teaser and it going into a stasis like we see with other games nowadays when they are first revealed.

Still, you do raise alot of valid points since I can't think of any other IPs out of nintendo that isn't Zelda or Mario (not counting Smash Bros either) that they would give this high of focus to. Hell, I don't think that even Kirby would get as heavy of Focus either. Pokemon probably would be the closest I can think of, and even that can be seen as a bit of a stretch.

vareon

An award-winning Rabbids game. Never thought we'd see that day.

No other game has jumped my "Eh, it's a Mario RPG with Rabbids. Probably funny sometimes" to "Yep that's my August game right there".

Takat

I'm saying it's not going to receive the level of unanimous praise and excitement at E3 that is reserved for something like a new Zelda or Mario. The IP simply isn't on the same level. And because of that, Nintendo is unlikely to put a heavy focus on Metroid Prime 4 at E3 in the same way they did for those two franchises. Unless they have little else to show for Switch next year, which I doubt.

Maybe, I don't think the excitement was about the IP and more about the revolution and gameplay mechanic that are so different. They both surprised, so if Metroid can surprise in the same level it will have the same level of excitement.

I do hope to see more new IPs from Nintendo next E3, Arms is a success, Splatoon, hopfully they'll try and create single player focus games as well.

Maybe, I don't think the excitement was about the IP and more about the revolution and gameplay mechanic that are so different. They both surprised, so if Metroid can surprise in the same level it will have the same level of excitement.

I do hope to see more new IPs from Nintendo next E3, Arms is a success, Splatoon, hopfully they'll try and create single player focus games as well.

Regarding the bolded, I think it was a combination of both.

Your point about new IP is a very good one. It's entirely possible Nintendo could surprise with something brand new next year.

Deku89

I think Metroid is a harder to market than Mario or Zelda. As such, the media outside of gaming sites won't necessarily pick up on Metroid stories. Plus, it isn't as big in Japan. It does make me wonder who is making it.

Anyway, congrats to Mario; two (hopefully) awesome games coming out really soon.

Bookoo

If Nintendo does this right, it will be the biggest hit this holiday.

Nintendo seems to be killing it.

I was never a huge Nintendo fan, but I am primarily play on PC so basically I only care about exclusives and right now that seems to be all Nintendo.

Also they are now filling the gap of handheld that my Vita used to take up. I am hoping more indies adopt the Switch.

NotLiquid

The ball is entirely in Nintendo's court right now.

Pray they sort out the component/stock situation before October. Splatoon 2's impending release is already having me worried.

Wollan

Happy for Hidden Agenda.

Don't care about all the others.
image.php

j/k

I'm curious about the playable section for Lone Echo.

Wollan

I find it funny that Hidden Agenda won 'Best Family Game' though being a dark and violent crime drama.
Maybe rename that award 'Best Social Game'.

I don't see Metroid Prime making next E3 in a playable state. If they're just now starting development it's likely a 2019 title.

Beyond that, Metroid Prime is gonna have to do something really groundbreaking to live up to the hype that Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey generated.

Multiple people at NOA (including Reggie) are talking about MP4 as if it's a 2018 game. At this point I'm betting it's a lot further along than we think.

That said, I agree with OrbitalBeard that Metroid can't capture the same unanimous praise and awe at E3 that a Zelda or Mario game could. I honestly can't think of a single Nintendo franchise that can repeat that same performance unless the next Smash is massively overhauled for the better somehow.

Or Nintendo brings an incredibly impressive new IP and goes whole hog with the marketing for it.

EDIT:
Or Retro's StarTropics revival is as amazing as I know it'll be.

Neiteio

Mario and Zelda are either going to be #1 or #2 on many people's lists, meaning they'll be continually receiving 10-point and 9-point votes. They'll do fine.

Giving a new IP the BOTW/Odyssey treatment and theming the booth around it would be one hell of a statement of intent on Nintendo's behalf.

Oneself

I find it funny that Hidden Agenda won 'Best Family Game' though being a dark and violent crime drama.
Maybe rename that award 'Best Social Game'.
This and Mario winning action adventure... I mean, Spiderman and God of War would have been more fitting IMO.

Remember when you couldn't go more than a few feet on the internet without a gaming journo proclaiming that Nintendo had become a bunch of talentless hacks making childish games devoid of substance and originality and the company was soon to be going the way of Sega?

Pepperidge Farm remembers. Also me.

I think this highlights the dearth of interesting and fresh concepts displayed this E3 that a solid evolution of a popular franchise stood out the most in developers minds. Then again, solid evolution of existing concepts isn't necessarily inferior to innovation just for innovation's sake. Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll just say congrats Nintendo! and leave it at that.
Or because you have different tastes.

I can't imagine the shitstorm if BotW or Odyssey get blindsided for GotY.

Funny enough, it could happen. It's gonna be 2014 all over again (seriously look it up, a lot of 2014 games are getting sequels this year including Mordor and Wolfenstein). At least this time there's more than enough good games to choose from than just Shadow of Mordor or Inquistiion.

Gartooth

Funny enough, it could happen. It's gonna be 2014 all over again (seriously look it up, a lot of 2014 games are getting sequels this year including Mordor and Wolfenstein). At least this time there's more than enough good games to choose from than just Shadow of Mordor or Inquistiion.

Yeah I remember Dragon Age and Mordor being somewhat controversial picks over Bayonetta 2.

Neiteio

2014 is actually why I think Nintendo could still prevail despite competing with itself. The bulk of GAF's Top 5 in 2014 were Nintendo titles. Like this year, 2014 was another golden year for Nintendo games.

If most people rank BotW and Odyssey in first and second place, that's still a ton of points.

A game like Shadow of War isn't winning over BotW or Odyssey this year from the press. This isn't 2014. A lot of journalists didn't play Bayonetta 2. Every single games journalist has played BotW. People in the press who normally don't give two hoots about Nintendo have played it.

Honestly, the only other two games that had a chance this year were Mass Effect Andromeda (we know how that one turned out) and Red Dead Redemption 2 (delayed until next year).

Top Bottom