• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Critics Awards Best of E3 2017: Super Mario Odyssey Best of Show

Takat

It could be a battle for GOTY with Kingdom Battle, it could end up seriously great. It looks so interesting.

Emhemed

Maybe they mean "handheld only."

Still, the Switch can be both and I think it should be included in both divisions. Many people are buying the Switch purely because it's handheld, I'm not sure many in the gaming industry are seeing it that way though.

It could be a battle for GOTY with Kingdom Battle, it could end up seriously great. It looks so interesting.

I don't think Kingdom Battle is really in a position to win many Game of the Year awards. There is a lot we still don't know about it. I would anticipate solid reviews like ~85 MC, but nothing mind blowing.

Takat

Still, the Switch can be both and I think it should be included in both divisions. Many people are buying the Switch purely because it's handheld, I'm not sure many in the gaming industry are seeing it that way though.
I didn't. I don't think we can make that statement until actual data.

Zalman

Odyssey is gonna benefit from end of the year release boost. Hype and excitement for BotW and Horizon would be way lower by then. Odyssey will clean house.
Zelda has a big DLC pack coming this holiday, which should keep the game fresh in people's minds.

big_erk

Horizon will win because BotW and Mario Odyssey will take votes from each other.

Really, I would think that Horizon and BOTW would split votes, being similar genres and all.

Even if that's playable next year, it won't captivate showgoers in the same way Mario and Zelda have.

My guess is Nintendo will have a larger selection of mid-tier releases on display next year. They're almost certainly not going to have something on the level of BotW and Odyssey.

We still don't know what Retro is working on.

The industry will categorize the Switch as how Nintendo officially categorizes it, which is first and foremost a home console. It does not matter how the consumer uses it, this is how they will refer to it.

spekkeh

Banned
Odyssey is gonna benefit from end of the year release boost. Hype and excitement for BotW and Horizon would be way lower by then. Odyssey will clean house.

SonyGAF is four times NintendoGAF. You're going to have 65M PS4 owners vs 9M Switch owners (if that). Bayonetta 2 won with 1100 points in a year when PS4 had nothing. The Last of Us won with double that (2200) a year before it, with Mario 3D world amassing 900 points. Odyssey is not cleaning anything.

LotusHD

Banned
I can't imagine the shitstorm if BotW or Odyssey get blindsided for GotY.

I'm fine with either winning (Well, have to play Odyssey first, but it's a pretty safe bet...), but as a NieR fan, at the very least I just want all music-related awards to go to it lol

NEO0MJ

I'm fine with either winning (Well, have to play Odyssey first, but it's a pretty safe bet...), but as a NieR fan, at the very least I just want all music-related awards to go to it lol

Mario games usually have great soundtracks so I wouldn't hand over that reward just yet.

I think that more people are buying the Switch because of the novelty of its hybrid design, but if ya think about it, that's just splitting hairs. I just wouldn't put it like people consider the Switch a 'handheld' and nothing more when they go to purchase it.

The industry will categorize the Switch as how Nintendo officially categorizes it, which is first and foremost a home console. It does not matter how the consumer uses it, this is how they will refer to it.

Switch is clearly a hybrid, though. It functions exactly as a contemporary handheld would during handheld play. It functions exactly as a contemporary console would during console play.
I don't know why the industry would categorize it strictly as a home console in spite of that fact.

Odyssey is not cleaning anything.

Even the toughest stains can be cleaned out.

Are you just gonna call it a home console for the next five years in spite of that simple, no-brainer distinction, on the sole basis that Nintendo occasionally refers to it as a home console?

Me personally? No.

The industry following the letter of what Nintendo wants the press to brand the Switch as (A home console you can play anywhere)? Yes.

Mark1

SonyGAF is four times NintendoGAF. You're going to have 65M PS4 owners vs 9M Switch owners (if that). Bayonetta 2 won with 1100 points in a year when PS4 had nothing. The Last of Us won with double that (2200) a year before it, with Mario 3D world amassing 900 points. Odyssey is not cleaning anything.
This basically confirms the end of this year is going to be one interesting day. So many AAA games on a variety of consoles, feels so spread out this year.

Zelda, Horizon, Sonic (Mania - believe!), Persona, Mario Odyssey (from the looks of it anyway), the list goes on.

Bayonetta is way more niche than Zelda or Mario.

Lifeline

SonyGAF vote will be split among a ton of different exclusives(Horizon, Yakuza, Persona, Ni No Kuni) and multiplatform games (Destiny 2, Wolfenstein, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed Origins) while NintendoGAF vote will be mainly between Odyssey and BOTW.

Anyway, I was talking about press GOTY not Neogaf.

I really don't see how BotW and Odyssey will have split votes? People are gonna be voting for both of them like ALOT lol

Wouldn't SonyGAF be split the most though?

phanphare

Banned
SonyGAF vote will be split among a ton of different exclusives(Horizon, Yakuza, Persona, Ni No Kuni) and multiplatform games (Destiny 2, Wolfenstein, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed Origins) while NintendoGAF vote will be mainly between Odyssey and BOTW.

Anyway, I was talking about press GOTY not Neogaf.

don't forget the hotly anticipated sequel to 2015's GotY Splatoon 2!

The turnaround on Rabbids sure has been something to behold.

It was always so crazy to me how many people were willing to judge a game solely on some of the characters in it and nothing else, not even how the game will play. Is that where the idea of "Mario games" all being exactly the same comes from?

Vena

Oh man, if Odyssey and Samus Returns turn out great, this might just be my favorite year of the entire decade. Zelda, Mario, and Metroid are my top 3 Nintendo franchises.

Year of Dreams*

*For games that actually release/exist/aren't a decade old.

Actually, I guess since *dreams* implies fictitious, this would be the Year of Realized Awesome, or something.

phanphare

Banned
Year of Dreams*

*For games that actually release/exist/aren't a decade old.

Actually, I guess since *dreams* implies fictitious, this would be the Year of Realized Awesome, or something.

shots at Sony aside this really is a crazy ass year for Nintendo

I mean, it just stomped everything else in the GAF E3 awards, seriously go take a look, nothing is remotely close, so I think it's fair to say it has an excellent chance.

Top Bottom