• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game genres you know you'll never be good at no matter how much you try

What genres are you eternally bad at?

• First person shooters

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Third person shooters

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Fast paced 3D action game

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Slower paced 3D action game/horror

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2D action/top+side scrollers/metroidvania

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Any game resembling 1-death Rogue and Battle Royales

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Stealth

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • RPG

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • RTS (real time strategy)

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Turn based strategy

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Fighting

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Sports and racers

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Platformer

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Puzzle

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Rhythm/music

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Crafting/community based content

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.0%

• Total voters

BlackTron

The thing about fighting games is that Smash ruined them all for me. It fills the fighting game role well enough so there's not much motivation to break into other games with complex combos. That being said I still like Soul Calibur 1 and 2.

raduque

I'm not very good at puzzle games anymore. Oh, and forget about twitchy multiplayer first-person battle arena type games.

No matter how much I try? I hope I can be reasonably good at anything given infinite time and willpower.
Yes, with the right motivation (e.g. if your life depended on it) you can get solid at any genre as long as you're not physically handicapped. Even if you hate the genre.

GymWolf

Mayne hardcore platform like super mewt boy, arena fps online against super skilled people, rts, civilization type of games, driving games, pure puzzle games...

For the majority is mostly because i don't like the genre so i have zero reason to trying to get good.

Griffon

I like the idea of turn based tactics games like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM.
But I always end up getting owned and unable to advance in the story after a while, as if I'm playing wrong until it can't work anymore.

I want to like the genre but it seems the genre just doesn't like me.

Last edited:

spookyfish

I am not good at fighting games. At all.
But I love ‘em and will continue to try and play them.

Last edited:

Handel

Fighting games easily.
I hate hardcore fighting games.

Quick! Press down left, back, back, A+B, up, down, X, X, X, Y+Z, L, R forward, forward and rotate the pad anti-clockwise six times to stick your leg out a bit to parry Master Ryo Hakazakabuki's flaming dragon mystical arsehole thunder punch. Noooo!!!!! You got it wrong, its X, Y, X, Y+Z, L, R! It's SO easy! Now you've broken the 15643 chain hit combo you NOOB!!!!!!

Fuck right off.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
RTS and crafting for me.

RTS I used to enjoy a lot even though I know I was never that great. Crafting I just always hated.

SSfox

images

Laptop1991

Any multiplayer games, which is just everybody killing each other over and over and respawning on the same map, i just get bored and have never liked it going right back to Quake 3 Arena and also puzzle games like Portal, i don't mind the puzzles in games like Tomb Raider, but just on their own as a game is not for me.

Mr Branding

Horror is an instant nope for me.
only exception was Alien Isolation which I managed to push through up until the halfway point.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Souls games, namely Bloodborne and it kills me cause my god that game is up my alley. The art design, music, horror themes, etc.

I wish I had the patience to git gud.

I got far in Dark Souls, I know I can do the same with Bloodborne but I just don't have the patience for the grind.

BigBeauford

RTS because I am too lazy to hotkey and improve my gameplay.

Fighting games have always stunk in my opinion. Mashing a DDR/Parapa flow of button inputs that don't feel matched to what's happening on screen have made me pass on all of them. Smash Bros is the only one that feels rewarding and sensible.

Top Bottom