• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Grumps (aka Egoraptor plays some games)

totowhoa

Banned
Just looked up the AMA they did, and apparently they answered a ton of the questions in video form. You can view them all here:

http://forums.polarisgo.com/showthr...in-amp-Danny-s-LIVE-VIDEO-AMA&p=1942#post1942

There's probably 40 or so questions and each of their video responses are about two or three minutes each. The first couple were awkward before they relaxed, but I'd recommend just going through and picking out the ones that interest you, which is what I ended up doing. Several cool and interesting answers in there

Shocking News: Sonic '06 is kaput

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
"I love this guy! No, I said 'I love the sky'.. You should die in a barn fi--"

Pretty nice to see them answering questions this way. I wish all AMA's were like this. Though I wish they'd put it all in one video so I didn't keep having to switch.

Also, what's wrong with green Skittles? Did they change it? Edit: Oh. Green Apple replaced Lime? What? Why would they do that?

Still working through them.

totowhoa

Banned
It was really cool hearing them talk about Danny's transition, even though Jon was (predictably) never mentioned in any of the videos I saw. I wish they'd mentioned what it is that Suzy does though... Since her credits in that Mycaruba video and that joke with her acting as an accountant or something at the start of that Mario Party series, I always wondered if she was involved with it somehow. Apparently she's pretty important behind the scenes though.

Also... can't wait to see this Starbomb thing is in November, if only because that logo was incredibly awesome

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
LOL, Arin said they'd probably get a thousand requests for Bump 'n' Jump and just today Continue? put up a Bump 'n' Jump episode.

I thought Continue? was more affiliated with Jon, but it seems they are more in sync with the Grumps. Especially with the XBLA games they both were playing at the same time. (Though that's probably Microsoft throwing money at two of the biggest game playing YT channels)

Holy crap, I always thought I made this show up. Like it was some kind of fever dream from my childhood.

Same here. All I could remember was a Dave Coulier show with a talk show-y type format.

LOL, Arin said they'd probably get a thousand requests for Bump 'n' Jump and just today Continue? put up a Bump 'n' Jump episode.

I thought Continue? was more affiliated with Jon, but it seems they are more in sync with the Grumps. Especially with the XBLA games they both were playing at the same time. (Though that's probably Microsoft throwing money at two of the biggest game playing YT channels)

I just think that was more of a coincidence.

And the XBLA games was totally an MS thing. Pro Jared also did a few episodes about each of those games on his channel.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just think that was more of a coincidence.
It's a hell of a coincidence. What's so special about that game anyway? It didn't look that much of a big deal. Just a standard shitty top-down racing game.

Anyone remember America's Funniest People? It was basically America's Funniest Home Videos but centered more around people trying to be funny instead of doing stupid funny things. Dave Coulier was huge in the '80s and '90s.

Batman Part 1

I never got the adoration for this game. For a movie tie in game, it doesn't feel like it at all. It feels like a game they were making that last minute changed to batman. Arin mentions it too during the boss fight.

Batman Part 1

I never got the adoration for this game. For a movie tie in game, it doesn't feel like it at all. It feels like a game they were making that last minute changed to batman. Arin mentions it too during the boss fight.

People don't like the game because it's a Batman game, but because it's a fantastic action game on the level of Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Today's SMB3 episode was the funniest thing ever. Best SMB3 episode at least. That level sucked as a kid. The only reason to finish it is to get the mushroom house. I always skipped it. Unless I was using my Game Genie.

totowhoa

Banned
I'm super enjoying Batman because I've heard about how great it's supposed to be, but I never played it back then... this is my first time to really check it out. This is probably going to end up on my list of games that I've bought from watching this show.

Also:

I just decided to watch Danny's first episode again today (Punch-Out). I got the urge after watching the Reddit AMA videos where they discussed the on-boarding process for him. He really came on strong... it was like whiplash at first because of how they handled it, but that episode could be airing for the first time tomorrow and you wouldn't even know otherwise. Even though I was a bit of a Jon hater before and welcomed Danny's appearance at first, I never realized how strong Danny's initial appearance was until going back just now. He was on point and didn't miss a beat

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just decided to watch Danny's first episode again today. I got the urge after watching the Reddit AMA videos where they discussed the on-boarding process for him. He really came on strong... it was like whiplash at first because of how they handled it, but that episode could be airing for the first time tomorrow and you wouldn't even know otherwise. I never realized how strong Danny's initial appearance was until going back just now.
They said Mario 2 was when the haters sucked it up and realized he was great. I really wish they'd done the entire Mario 2 game instead of warping. Watching SMB3 be a completion run is great. I really wish they'd redo SMB2 and do it from start to finish this time.

Though in SMB2 you get limited continues and once they're gone, you're done. So maybe if they played the SNES version with its Save system.

totowhoa

Banned
They said Mario 2 was when the haters sucked it up and realized he was great. I really wish they'd done the entire Mario 2 game instead of warping. Watching SMB3 be a completion run is great. I really wish they'd redo SMB2 and do it from start to finish this time.

Though in SMB2 you get limited continues and once they're gone, you're done. So maybe if they played the SNES version with its Save system.

Yeah watching the All-Stars version would be better for SMB2 for sure. I'd like to see them do the Lost Levels once as well. I'm really enjoying the 100% run of SMB3... I haven't played any of the NES games properly (sans warps) in over a decade probably. It really makes me want to go back and try again. I can see SMB3 being easier, but SMB 1 and 2... I have no doubt I'd probably game over there.

Labrys

after watching leisure suit larry, i think i prefer danny + ross over danny + arin. they work really well together, and i hope they play more point and click adventures.

from reddit :p

indq7ux.gif

I'm super enjoying Batman because I've heard about how great it's supposed to be, but I never played it back then... this is my first time to really check it out. This is probably going to end up on my list of games that I've bought from watching this show.

Also:

I just decided to watch Danny's first episode again today (Punch-Out). I got the urge after watching the Reddit AMA videos where they discussed the on-boarding process for him. He really came on strong... it was like whiplash at first because of how they handled it, but that episode could be airing for the first time tomorrow and you wouldn't even know otherwise. Even though I was a bit of a Jon hater before and welcomed Danny's appearance at first, I never realized how strong Danny's initial appearance was until going back just now. He was on point and didn't miss a beat

I just realized how, during Danny's first episodes, Arin just kinda lays low and lets him carry the show. Pretty nice move because it showcases how funny Danny can be. It also helped that they played Danny's favorite games so people could not bitch about him not playing a game the right way.

Mondy

Banned
Currently watching the AMA replay.

Egoraptor is steadily losing respect points from me the longer he goes out of his way not to mention Jon by name.

GorillaJu

Currently watching the AMA replay.

Egoraptor is steadily losing respect points from me the longer he goes out of his way not to mention Jon by name.

I think it'd be in poor form to be talking about someone on camera who you have no contact with, or has no way to add in their bit, whether as a rebuttal or just to chime in.

Arin is handling it really well. There's no benefit to mentioning Jon, either in good or bad capacity.

Mondy

Banned
I think it'd be in poor form to be talking about someone on camera who you have no contact with, or has no way to add in their bit, whether as a rebuttal or just to chime in.

Arin is handling it really well. There's no benefit to mentioning Jon, either in good or bad capacity.

Whether Jon is there or not, that channel belongs to him just as much as it does to Arin. It wouldn't have taken off without him. It is very disingenuous to act like his name is some sort of cursed phrase.

GorillaJu

Whether Jon is there or not, that channel belongs to him just as much as it does to Arin. It wouldn't have taken off without him. It is very disingenuous to act like his name is some sort of cursed phrase.

This idea that he has to mention his name in order to pay respects is your own creation. None of us really know exactly what happened between the two of them, but there's a lot to suggest it wasn't an amicable separation. For all we know, Jon may have specifically asked that he is cut off entirely and that he's never mentioned again as a part of the show. It's clear Arin is avoiding discussing him in whatever capacity.

Whether or not Arin brings up Jon's name is completely unrelated to the credit Jon deserves for being part of the show as it got off the ground.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Jon's gone. He ended his contract and probably has nothing to do with the show at all anymore. He most definitely doesn't get any money from it anymore. And if he was mentioned, it would do more damage than good. Let it go. We'll always have Goof Troop. If you want more Jon, watch his JonTron videos again.

When the show started, they weren't trying to "get it off the ground". It was just some stupid internet show two guys were doing. No Barry. Just casual shitting around in games. It's because of its popularity that Jon wanted to leave. Because he only thought it was just going to be something small. He didn't know the power the two of them together would bring. He probably wanted out for a long time.

Who knows, maybe one day Danny might move on and get replaced? Maybe the show will last for decades and go through hosts like candy.

This idea that he has to mention his name in order to pay respects is your own creation. None of us really know exactly what happened between the two of them, but there's a lot to suggest it wasn't an amicable separation. For all we know, Jon may have specifically asked that he is cut off entirely and that he's never mentioned again as a part of the show. It's clear Arin is avoiding discussing him in whatever capacity.

Whether or not Arin brings up Jon's name is completely unrelated to the credit Jon deserves for being part of the show as it got off the ground.

That post on reddit would suggest otherwise. He almost seemed bitter that the grumps were acting as if they were putting him behind them.

It's amazing to see them play through the 2nd half of Batman. I played the shit outta that game as a kid but my lack of skills meant I never got past the 3rd world. It's fun see the shear cruelty that was waiting for me if I had ever gotten further.

Kinsei

Banned
That Monster Hunter video was painful. From the way Arin talked about MH I expected him to be good at the game.

Hopefully they improve throughout the series but MH3U is piss easy with 4 players so I doubt it will happen.

Uh, he left. He moved on. Maybe you should too.

This isn't true. Jon posted in the subreddit to clear the air about this.

I'll try to find the actual post, but he specifically resents that attitude. It's not that he wants to still talk and be talked about in terms of GG, but he doesn't want anyone to have the impression that he "ran out" on the show and doesn't want to have anything to do with it anymore. Arin's not mentioning anything by name only to not try to stir up shit, but a lot of people (including volunteer mods on the subreddit) are misconstruing that as a "NO SPEAK ABOUT JON EVER AS PER HIS WISHES" rule, which is naturally interpreted as he wants to forget about his entire run and everything having to do with it. Jon never said he never wants to see anything GG related again, and he certainly doesn't want to see the "NEVER MENTION HIM, HE SAID SO" thing perpetuated.

I understand where Arin's coming from and what he's trying to do, but sometimes he brings the situation back up by going just a little too out of his way to not mention him.. Not even mentioning him by name in an awkward way speaks more about the weird departure than just mentioning him casually. It's obvious the departure wasn't amicable.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So they did know that they were on their 1000th video*.

Of course that still counts non-game videos, doesn't it? I have no idea how to view a channel's video count. It's not posted anywhere. I think they should have celebrated the actual 1000th video with a special game or something.

*Approximately

Top Bottom