• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer August 2012 - next Gears of War

This woulda been a nice surprising for the MS conference. Way to go GI! :p

I'm surprised that MS actually allowed them to cover/leak this story pre-E3. Or maybe they are so used to having it leak just before their conf starts every year, they figure why bother.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
NOT Gears 4. Gears of War is a trilogy. Cliffy B said that multiple times. This is a spin off (Like The Hobbit is from Lord of the Rings). Just making it clear...

You're right, it is not Gears 4.

But did you really just say the Hobbit was a spin off of Lord of the Rings?

Really?

kind of saw it coming. Gears 3 finished months before it was released due to that delay to the holidays so they would have had time to work on something.

Like most of these sort of announcements I hope they do something different with the franchise with this game. It will probably be epic's last current gen game. Let them go nuts.

Hope its not the off and on rumored Gears Kinect.

Also so your telling me the 1th party show peaces at the Microsoft e3 presser are going to be a new halo. a new Gears, a new fable and a new Forza?

Shocking stuff.

The story goes that one shareholder objected in 2008 (could be wrong on date, but it was early) on how Microsoft was spilling away money with the 360, this was still fresh in the console life and they were not making much money. Later, I think Times said it, that Microsoft Game Studio should be spun off because as its own company would make more money. After that, 360 sales started to level out and they were becoming profitable. After that shareholder pretty much never asked that question anymore, because well sales were on a up swing.

So that thing was used often used as a back handed comment, but there is no real merit in the story.

Wow. I never knew that.

Omega

Banned
Hopefully someone else is making this.

Epic fucked up on Gears 2. Gears 3 was great at first, but post January patch, perhaps the worst shooter ever because everything that made the multiplayer good, they fucked up. Everything that was bad with the multiplayer, they made worse.

lol @ a few posts up. "1th party" lolwut

This is such amazing news. I got the season pass for Gears 3 and I still play it all the time. The game was great and the DLC was all so well done. My hope is that they extend beast mode to 50 waves, maybe even have beast short and beast long.

bill0527

..sigh.

I really can't wait for next generation. The more of these titles that get announced, the longer we have to wait.

I'm secretly hoping some of these blockbusters bomb so that we can just move on to the next thing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hopefully not a prequel.

I'm kind of over prequels.

How is that possible?

Being a prequel has nothing to do with quality. If it is the best game ever made, being a prequel wont change that. If it is crap, being a prequel wont change that either.

Plasmid

Well. Neat. Of course Gears 3 hype has died and not a lot of people play nowadays but, maybe a prequel will be cool.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Well. Neat. Of course Gears 3 hype has died and not a lot of people play nowadays but, maybe a prequel will be cool.

yiLH0.jpg

Still top 10

VASPER said:
Cant wait, new Epic was lying when they said they were done making GOW games.

They might have been talking about the Epic A-Team....since this is most likely being made by People Can Fly....while owned by Epic it isnt exactly the same as saying made by Epic.
SO maybe they werent lying.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gears 3 is still the only shooter I play, and although I'm glad to see news, and loved Bulletstorm, I hope that it really isn't the game being done by People Can Fly. I don't like the idea of other dev teams picking up other people's franchises.

I'll see at E3, and if it really is by People Can Fly, maybe they'll win me over.

And Epic NEVER said that they were done making Gears games, they said Gears 3 was the end of the trilogy's story.

Man, I still haven't even played 3 yet. I guess by the time it comes out it shouldn't feel too bad in terms of timing. It's weird that Microsoft are happy for it to be revealed days before E3 though, and that they're announcing a huge game that will likely be launching just before their next major console. I guess this is pretty much just plugging the gap between this fall and the next Xbox which'll have Gears 4. Not a proper sequel, but a big release to say farewell to the 360 next year.

Busty

Banned
Also kind of surprised it's only 360. I don't know why I feel that way, but I do

I feel the same way about this. I'm also surprised that this is being announced so late in the 360's cycle, presumably for next year.

I still think we'll see the Gears franchise on 'non MS' formats at some point. Looks like it will be further away than I thought.

Another one, so quickly?!

I love Gears, but it's too damn soon.

How? Gears 2 came out 2 years after Gears 1, and Gears 3 was going to come out a little over 2 years after Gears 2 but got delayed.

This would be out 2 years after Gears 3. Sounds pretty consistent to me.

jacobs34

I've had nothing but good experiences with Gears games, I'm sure by the end of next year I'll be ready for another one.

Top Bottom