• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer August 2012 - next Gears of War

TUROK

If it's a FPS then too? I really like the idea of mixing up the genres a bit.
If they change up the gameplay enough, I'm all for it.

How? Gears 2 came out 2 years after Gears 1, and Gears 3 was going to come out a little over 2 years after Gears 2 but got delayed.

This would be out 2 years after Gears 3. Sounds pretty consistent to me.
Yeah, I know it's right in line with other Gears releases, but considering 3 is the game that ends the trilogy, I was expecting a lull in Gears games for a while. But I guess this is Gears' ODST.

TheOddOne

Fun thread!

::chews popcorn::
Indeed.

Popcorn.gif

Hurr durr who's in the chains? Could it be Marcus?

Anyway, wayyyyy too early imo, would have been better as a launch title next gen, unless it IS.... dun dun dun...

S1kkZ

Hurr durr who's in the chains? Could it be Marcus?

Anyway, wayyyyy too early imo, would have been better as a launch title next gen, unless it IS.... dun dun dun...

i really dont get this. why would they release that game a few months before the next xbox comes out? unless the game comes out early 2013 OR there is no new xbox in 2013.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
still sort of want to buy 360 to play Gears 3 but will wait for the price cut (next E3 I think).

Antioch

It's a shame this was announced this way, would have been a genuine surprise. Still at least it's one more thing to look forward to.

Zampano

Love Gears, don't need a new one. If MS think they can just keep going Gears/Halo/Gears/Halo/Gears/Halo/ for the foreseeable I hope they lose a lot of money.

Amir0x

Banned
I dunno if I want another. Third one was kind of just spinning its wheels, and I'm tired of SHOTGUN IN YOUR FACE, OTHER WEAPONS BE DAMNED IV: THE MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE, so I may not get this. It'd have to be pretty drastically improved for me to bite.

Antioch said:
It's a shame this was announced this way, would have been a genuine surprise

Were you surprised when you read this topic? What difference does it make if it's a genuine surprise now instead of a genuine surprise next week? :p

Actually, I'd love some more exposition on the Locust Queen, so I'm really interested in this. Gears 3 was an amazing ride (except for the somewhat unsatisfactory ending) and an extremely polished game. In fact, I wonder if they'll introduce any radical changes this time around since I don't think they can add much more to the existing formula.

This reminds me that I should replay the campaign in coop on insane already!

Nibel

I dunno if I want another. Third one was kind of just spinning its wheels, and I'm tired of SHOTGUN IN YOUR FACE, OTHER WEAPONS BE DAMNED IV: THE MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE, so I may not get this. It'd have to be pretty drastically improved for me to bite.

The shotgun bullshit killed the entire MP for me. Yeah, there are tactics to avoid getting your ass kicked, but all in all it's really tiring.

Remember how one of the people involved with Gears said that the Lancer would become the "lightsaber" of the game's universe? After playing MP I must say: that spot is reserved for the Gnasher :lol

scitek

It'll be funny to see an off-shoot that plays better than the mainline games simply due to People Can Fly being better than pretty much anyone at making shooters.

Interesting. I wonder if this is a God of War Ascension-esque stopgap sequel/prequel type deal before the next gen.

Will it have shoootbang with friends?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Gears is my second favorite franchise of all time, sooooooo fucking excited for this!

If this truly is the prequel, it's going to be very interesting fighting COG soldiers instead of the Locust.

am shocked

I wonder if MS is giving these franchises one last hurrah on the 360 before they introduce some new IPs for their next gen console

Halo/Forza/Gears have never interested me, so I hope they invest in some franchises that do

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I will say that it's pretty lame gameinformer got to reveal the game like this instead of having it be a full-on surprise reveal at the conference.

I haven't even unwrap my copy of gears 3 I got when it was on sale... hahaha this is the only series I care about on 360. If it weren't for Gears I wouldn't even bother picking a 360. Will get it when it's on sales and a 1 month live to play Co-op Campaign with a buddy.

pretty shitty new about no more gears 3 maps.

Rod Fergusson ‏@GearsViking

BTW with the announce of the new Gears game, I can confirm that there's no more DLC for Gears 3.

we can make a pretty good prediction about when we'll see the next xbox with this games release date. if the game drops this winter we might see the new console in 2013. if it drops next year we might be waiting until 2014 for the new xbox.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Too soon...way too fucking soon.

yup.

I am burnt out of Gears right now, I thought they will make Gears for next gen Xbox, not throwing the next one immediately like this.

I'd prefer if they made Unreal 3 (not Unreal Tournament bullshit, the real Unreal) or something new( like that Samaritan cyberpunk demo)at least.

the guys outline doesn't look like Marcus, could be a new protagonist, takes place during/around e-day. Though I'm sure you'll run into delta squad at some point.

It seems a little late to be announcing something for this fall, and Gears 3 just came out last year. I'm thinking either a swan song for the 360 or maybe even next gen launch title.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Crazy prediction time:
People Can Fly (likely)
Prequel (kinda likely)
FPS?
One year exclusive with at least PC, possible PS3 port after?
This last one I'm only guessing because it doesn't say "Coming Exclusively to X360" in the writeup. Console makers never miss putting that in announcements if they can.

TheOddOne

One year exclusive with at least PC, possible PS3 port after?
This last one I'm only guessing because it doesn't say "Coming Exclusively to X360" in the writeup. Console makers never miss putting that in announcements if they can.
Halo 4 didn't have it either, Gameinformer staff doesn't usually write that way.

Top Bottom