• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Cover: Battlefield 3 [FLEABttn to the rescue, new thread soon!]

Spl1nter

DSN2K said:
Stick gives the player more control, so in essence its a better simulation.

One that is extremely inaccurate seeing as when you press the stick towards a certain angle hitting the exact degree in which you want to move is not guaranteed. Using a keyboard your actions are always accurate and represented correctly in the game. Usually in real life I go where I want to go. Then again you may just be a klutz and trip over your feet all the time.

Really I dont give a fuck but dont say that a gamepad simulates a fps better then a m/kb. Its idiotic.

The Antitype said:
It wouldn't give pad users an advantage at all.

It doesn't give an advantage you are at a predisposed disadvantage. The argument against aim assist in a pc battlefield game would be that a vehicle shouldnt be easier to use if you choose to only utilize a m/kb

Veitsev

DSN2K said:
why should I have to ? Option is a good thing, if it encourages more people to get into PC gaming I'm happy, as should everyone in the PC community.

If you want to use a gamepad then consoles are your option. PC's use a mouse and keyboard. Your "simulation" argument is hilarious. A control stick is no better or worse than WASD. Why should the PC community be happy with encouraging players to join their community that want to intentionally gimp themselves by choosing an inferior control option?

f0rk

Veitsev said:
If you want to use a gamepad then consoles are your option. PC's use a mouse and keyboard. Your "simulation" argument is hilarious. A control stick is no better or worse than WASD. Why should the PC community be happy with encouraging players to join their community that want to intentionally gimp themselves by choosing an inferior control option?

Because they will probably realise how gimped they are and see the light.

abuC

subversus said:
good luck on the battlefield. you'll need it.

Thanks, since Im sure it's completely impossible to be competitive with a controller, I'll be lucky to manage even one kill throughout my playtime.

Spl1nter

abuC said:
Thanks, since Im sure it's completely impossible to be competitive with a controller, I'll be lucky to manage even one kill throughout my playtime.

dont worry im sure you can nade spam perfectly fine with a controller ;)

abuC said:
Don't worry about it bro. All this talk about you console bros joining us on the PC side if gamepad support is done well is getting me excited. :)

Veitsev said:
You have no sense of community, there are some perfectly good console players out there in the BC2 world wright now, many are part of BC2-PS3-GAF and us here at PC-BC2-GAF welcome them with open arms, controller or not.

Have some sense of community, bro.

Spl1nter said:
Less than optimal compared to the theoretical maximum achieved with a joystick or gamepad? True, but M/KB is perfectly fine and sufficient to fly any vehicles in every battlefield game and dominate with them. This is coming from someone who was a high level pilot in 1942, BF2 and BC2 and one of the top level pilots in 2142. All done with m/kb.

Oh god too funny. lol
Spl1nter, I agree with the whole thing about M&K allowing for more accuracy in aiming and control.

But if you say you were a top level pilot and one of THE top level pilots in a Battlefield game for PC, using a Mouse and Keyboard.

Then I'd hope you'd at least had mentioned that as a preface to your previous arguments about how using a M&K to fly a Jet or fly a chopper in Battlefield is easy... xD Because most of us aren't top level pilots.

Nice, master race elitists fear they might get owned by someone using a gamepad?

Aim assist or not, mouse is better. So who cares.

By the way, if this means I can use pad+mouse, it's even better. WASD is obsolete.

All the gamepad bashing... really guys? No wonder were called the PC-Master-Race, we sure as hell act like were not top of everyone, even our fellow GAF members. >_>

- Go play Gears of war on PC and you'll see that the gamepad was balanced enough so it was at the very least competitive as an option to M&K. It wasn't better in the slightest, but it was good enough to be competitive in a native M&K environment.

Besides, you all are nipping at some of the top-PS3-BC2-GAF players. I'm sure if the gamepad controls were fair on PC, that they could hold their own just fine. :)

abuC

Cuban Legend said:
Don't worry about it bro. All this talk about you console bros joining us on the PC side if gamepad support is done well is getting me excited. :)

You have no sense of community, there are some perfectly good console players out there in the BC2 world wright now, many are part of BC2-PS3-GAF and us here at PC-BC2-GAF welcome them with open arms, controller or not.

04f787bdc92031f88235e724b342_grande.jpg

Damn right!

"Nice, master race elitists fear they might get owned by someone using a gamepad?"

Fear they might get stuck with the gimp on their team, seems like.

"By the way, if this means I can use pad+mouse, it's even better. WASD is obsolete."

Until you need more than 2 extra buttons.

DSN2K

Veitsev said:

One of the great things about PC's is it has the ability to support multiple inputs...so guess what ? Modern PC games use M/K & Pads now, majority of new games support both. times have changed.

Stop being the grumpy old man afraid of change, let people play how they want.

I've been playing PC games for 15 years so I certainly know what M/K brings to table.

Difference perhaps is I've been open to playing games console games at the same time and lack the arrogance and misconception that pads are somehow inferior, because frankly their not.

Nabs

metareferential said:
Nice, master race elitists fear they might get owned by someone using a gamepad?

By the way, if this means I can use pad+mouse, it's even better. WASD is obsolete.

I think it's more about having people on your team/squad playing with a disadvantage. I personally don't care, I'm all about my gaf squad anyway. We don't take things that seriously.

Oh and WASD is better than the controller stick. I've given it a decent chance with blops (you have the option to use both) and it's not very good. WASD is more accurate, and gives me access to a bunch of easy to hit buttons.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
metareferential said:

I care because I don't want half my team taken up by people who are 3/29 k/d because they think they can make pad work against mouse users.

Tekno, will you be out there playing BF3 with the rest of GAF when it hits? I'm sure some of these console-guys are already starting to get an itch to get some shots off at you bro. ;)

You got a PC right? Get on with PC-BC2 GAF is you do. I'd love to play some, my steam is in my User profile. :)

I give it two weeks before someone creates a work-around so they can emulate controller inputs through their M&KB so they get both M&KB and aim assist together.

Teknopathetic said:
Fear they might get stuck with the gimp on their team, seems like.
I couldn't care less about that, I play on losing teams often enough.

Edit: NVM i am idiot. Which is often the case I guess.

Meh, I really don't care either way. I already know I'm going to get both the PC and the 360 version, cause I have groups of friends that will play both.

Personally, I used to be a die-hard M/KB player. I hated FPS games on consoles, and obviously would never play a PC shooter with a pad.

Over the last 10 years or so, I've grown less and less invested, and now I could really be fine using either.

In fact, there's some intangible quality about using the controller that makes me more immersed in the game when I use it. When I'm using M/KB, I'm very consciously aware that I am moving a cursor around a screen. Maybe because on some level, I'm aware that there's no way it can be as easy to shoot a weapon as fast and precisely as you can with a mouse/kb.

Spl1nter

Ysiadmihi said:
It begins. Surprised it took this long tbh.

No it doesnt. You highlighted the wrong word. He said he feels more immersed. Its completely subjective and based on preference.

The Antitype said:
In fact, there's some intangible quality about using the controller that makes me more immersed in the game when I use it.

Ysiadmihi said:
I care because I don't want half my team taken up by people who are 3/29 k/d because they think they can make pad work against mouse users.

Fair enough; mine was more of a joke, actually.

But I don't think the population of the pc players that will use a gamepad is going to have that much of an impact; they'll be in a very strict minority, since it's a bad choice.

Natural selection will take care of everything, meaning that the ones that are good enough to compete with m/kb users will have no problems. And you won't notice any difference.

Everyone else will just change their gaming habits or go back to ps3/360.

Ysiadmihi said:

How is playing on a team of players using a less accurate device different or any worse than being on a team of people that are bad at the game?

There's no way the ranking system is going to take controller-type into account, so chances are if you play ranked, you'll be matched up against people that similarly successful at the game as you...whether they're using a controller or a mouse/kb.

Honestly, I bet if you don't ask, you won't even know what people are using most of the time.

Moreover, are we really under the impression that a large amount of Battlefield players are really going to use mouse/kb support? This is one of the more intimidating, elitist and insular FPS communities out there. My guess is maybe 1 in 10,000 people will be using a controller.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Spl1nter said:
Well thats a blatant lie. You can fly perfectly fine with the M&K in BC2. Just that heli physics are fucking retarded.
The heli physics have been the same since the BF1942 mod Desert Combat introduced them. Since then they've been the same physics in every single Battlefield game that has featured them and they are easily controlled with WSAD & the arrow keys. People who still keep crashing them either have zero desire to learn how to control them properly, or still fear being in the pilot seat.

Moral of the story kids? Either be a pro and use a flightstick, or use the keyboard. Pilots never use the mouse in Battlefield.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The Antitype said:
There's no way the ranking system is going to take controller-type into account, so chances are if you play ranked, you'll be matched up against people that similarly successful at the game as you...whether they're using a controller or a mouse/kb.
PC doesn't use matchmaking for ranked games.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Spl1nter said:
No it doesnt. You highlighted the wrong word. He said he feels more immersed. Its completely subjective and based on preference.

I'm not saying he's wrong, obviously, but my problem is with people making themselves a detriment to the team just for the sake of feeling "immersed".

I have a Novint Falcon which is probably one of the most immersive controllers there is, but I don't use it in team based FPS because I know I'll pretty much be a wasted player slot against mouse users.

Ikuu said:
PC doesn't use matchmaking for ranked games.

LMAO, good point.

Ok, there's no way the stats are going to take controller-type into account, so it's not like you'll be able to tell who the hell is playing with a controller.

If a player on your team is doing poorly....they're likely doing poorly on a mouse/kb.

Spl1nter

speedpop said:
The heli physics have been the same since the BF1942 mod Desert Combat introduced them. Since then they've been the same physics in every single Battlefield game that has featured them and they are easily controlled with WSAD & the arrow keys. People who still keep crashing them either have zero desire to learn how to control them properly, or still fear being in the pilot seat.

Moral of the story kids? Either be a pro and use a flightstick, or use the keyboard. Pilots never use the mouse in Battlefield.

Have you flown in BC2 and in BF2? Because its completely different so don't give me this bullshit. Using a flightstick doesnt make you a pro but maybe it makes you a pretentious prick like you are.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The Antitype said:
If a player on your team is doing poorly....they're likely doing poorly on a mouse/kb.

That's just silly. You're completely disregarding the difference between a mouse and a thumbstick.

Edit: Never mind, I misread. Still, I hope there is some way to differentiate between m/kb users and pad users so you can play on servers that disallow pads.

J-Rzez

Ysiadmihi said:
Goddamnit the last thing I want in this game is useless teammates making themselves even more useless by using a gamepad. If this is put in I hope you can filter out servers that allow you to use it.

I'm sure there are many-many controller gamers that would own you relentlessly, and probably say "this guy sucks, he's dragging us down". So yeah.

Who the fuck cares... really? Who cares what people use. Some people are just better at reacting, predicting, and/or just better all around, and those people will own you no matter what device you use.

Unless that is you're one of the best pro-gamers on circuit, if so, my apologies.

BTW: KB/M for me, but I won't scorn anyone who plays on a pad.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
J-Rzez said:
I'm sure there are many-many controller gamers that would own you relentlessly, and probably say "this guy sucks, he's dragging us down". So yeah.

Who the fuck cares... really? Who cares what people use. Some people are just better at reacting, predicting, and/or just better all around, and those people will own you no matter what device you use.

Unless that is you're one of the best pro-gamers on circuit, if so, my apologies.

BTW: KB/M for me, but I won't scorn anyone who plays on a pad.

I can't take a post seriously that says the device doesn't matter when it comes to a mouse and a gamepad in an FPS game. Sorry : /

grkazan12

@Cuban Legend, Quick aside but thanks for telling me about Mumble, just got a quick question: What time do Gaf BC2 players come on to play? I'm on the "Not GAF server" and all the BC2 rooms are empty.

Veitsev

recklessmind said:
This is wrong.

Yeah you are right WASD is clearly better.

DSN2K said:
Difference perhaps is I've been open to playing games console games at the same time and lack the arrogance and misconception that pads are somehow inferior, because frankly their not.

Yeah so have I and they are when it comes to FPS's. Some things are just objectively better than other things. News at 11.

grkazan12 said:
@Cuban Legend, Quick aside but thanks for telling me about Mumble, just got a quick question: What time do Gaf BC2 players come on to play? I'm on the "Not GAF server" and all the BC2 rooms are empty.

they usually start around 9:00PM EST.

I'm online now, so I'll play with you for the time being bro. Whats your Steam?come back into mumble and roll into the channel I'm in.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ill buy the inferior PS3 version and have fun with it. :3

EDIT: I think that the PC players didnt want to use the same Online BFBC2 matchup thread as the console players so they made their own. Community ++;

Fersis said:
Ill buy the inferior PS3 version and have fun with it. :3

EDIT: I think that the PC players didnt want to use the same Online BFBC2 matchup thread as the console players so they made their own. Community ++;
what are you talking about?

SA-X

Are the maps in the console version still going to be as big as the pc version maps? I hope they don't downsize them for less players. One of the things I like about battlefield is that it gives you a chance to sneak around by yourself way out in the open and plan your next attack instead of everyone just spawning next to each other and charging at the first enemy they see. I'd hate it if they downsized them to just some small urban sections of the maps or something to make the game more like cod.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Cuban Legend said:
what are you talking about?
Back when we made the first BFBC2 thread. If i remember correctly some PC users didnt want to use the same matchup thread as the console players or something like that.

Any news about the bullet velocity? I hope each gun have a different bullet velocity, hopefully real world measures. I'm not thinking of realism when i think of this. I want variety between guns and the ammunition it shoots. I don't really want all guns projectiles capped at the same velocity.

Fersis

Crakatak187 said:
Any news about the bullet velocity? I hope each gun have a different bullet velocity, hopefully real world measures. I'm not thinking of realism when i think of this. I want variety between guns and the ammunition it shoots. I don't really want all guns projectiles capped at the same velocity.
Yup i read somewhere that each gun will have different bullet velocity.
Ask demize99 or locust9.

Top Bottom