• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game informer exclusive GoW:Ragnarok gameplay today and Tuesday (8am PT / 11am ET / 4pm UK)

Hugare

Yup, looks like God of War 2018 combat with some extras here and there

The signature moves holding triangle seems to be the main new adition

It's been sometime since I played it for the last time, but seems like the FOV is greater this time. You can see your surroundings much better.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep, looks like a GoW Addon/DLC.....

Fuck crossgen :messenger_pensive:

A DLC footage.

Man Sony really dropped the ball making this cross gen. Look A LOT like the PS4 pro version.
michael-scott-the-office.gif

Probably THE best Sony game/franchise last gen and it gets this kind of treatment. Absolutely ridiculous. Treat your devs better. Treat your IPs better. Treat your fanbase better. This game deserved better.

God of War 2018 was/is one of the best games ever made. A huge achievement technical and creative-wise.

It's reveal had a real time demo being played on stage and a fucking LIVE ORCHESTRA.

Ragnarok PR/Marketing has been so fucking pathetic that is not even funny
I mean...that was when all shows were live.. And in the end all that for what? Most people that watched those trailers didn't watch the conferences live anyway.

You guys need to leave the 00's. Live shows will only keep declining, not the other way around.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's been sometime since I played it for the last time, but seems like the FOV is greater this time. You can see your surroundings much better.

Yeah that's a good shout. Be interesting to see a side by side as I felt the same. Zoomed out appears to have a wider FOV

Last edited:

Probably THE best Sony game/franchise last gen and it gets this kind of treatment. Absolutely ridiculous. Treat your devs better. Treat your IPs better. Treat your fanbase better. This game deserved better.
I can think of 3 options:

1. The game is garbage (for what we should expect)

2: Jim wants to save money on PR/Marketing = pretty fucking dumb.

3: They are crunching like mother fuckers to get this game ready..

Loxus

God of War 2018 was/is one of the best games ever made. A huge achievement technical and creative-wise.

It's reveal had a real time demo being played on stage and a fucking LIVE ORCHESTRA.

Ragnarok PR/Marketing has been so fucking pathetic that is not even funny
Does GOW Ragnarok really needs Marketing?
This game franchise is on a different level.
Just tweet out the release date and that's it.

Obviously near release date, Sony will drop a State of Play or a short video like they have been doing since the year started.

As a reminder, they pretty much gave us information about the story already.

Is it just me or does the environment seem a bit lacking. After watching all this TLOU Part 1 footage, it just seems like I should be seeing more particle effects and shadows or something. Maybe it's just this one area with a ton of sun.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nah. The axe is clearly the main. Blades were a great moment just for the nostalgia and feels but they just don't feel right.

I kinda feel like duel flails would have been a better reimagining of them.
That doesn't change what i said, Yes the axe was the main weapon, but the best story weapon related moment is when you recover them, there is no story moment as strong related to the axe, and power wise they are basically the same, against sigrun i was switching between the 2 without much difference in damage if any.

And they were the iteration with more moves and super moves, other than looking spectacular when fully upgraded.

Last edited:
So many arm chair marketing experts suddenly appeared.

To be honest, I just want to play the game, I'll let Sony worry about the marketing of their ips.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I can think of 3 options:

1. The game is garbage (for what we should expect)

2: Jim wants to save money on PR/Marketing = pretty fucking dumb.

3: They are crunching like mother fuckers to get this game ready..

I've seen quite a bit of PR both on digital media and traditional ones to be fair to Jimbo.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the combat of the first with the generic enemies,, hopefully they can break it up a better this time (doing other fun shit which isn't combat).

I did like the more interesting enemies like the knight and the valkeries

Well you really can't make a good judgement off what they just showed us. Im sure they are capable of showing us more. Its not like the game was delayed or anything.

Loxus

I'm genuinely curious what's the problem and what's supposed to change?

Game still looks stunning and combat is top notch.

"I mean". Shut up.

.that was when all shows were live..
Damage control much. So pathetic. Staph being a corporate shill.

And in the end all that for what? Most people that watched those trailers didn't watch the conferences live anyway.
D7Qyr5w.jpg

Is not about the conference per se. Is about the PR/Marketing.

You guys need to leave the 00's. Live shows will only keep declining, not the other way around.
First '00? The show was in 2016.

Second and again.

Is not about live shows. Is about (specifically talking about Ragnarok) it's PR/Marketing and how bad it has been.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Don't worry, we still have gow anubis in 5 years from now or so, probably crossgen with ps6.

Last edited:
atrocious GOW Ragnarok really needs Marketing?
This game franchise is on a different level.
Just tweet out the release date and that's it.

Obviously near release date, Sony will drop a State of Play or a short video like they have been doing since the year started.

As a reminder, they pretty much gave us information about the story already.

Yeah. This very Game informer preview is marketing. Every trailer, Interview, video, rtc..is part of the Marketing.

The point is THIS MARKETING has been atrocious. (I don't know why is this so hard to understand for some of you).

Even Avengers Infity war/End game had one of the most expensive Marketing ever.

Slam dunk success ≠ drop something out of the blue.

Loxus

Are we really doing this again?
Discussing games is fucking depressing with you guys.

Jesus christ.

This will be 3 more months on how it all looks like shit like TLOU1 or "looks the same" only for the game to come out and y'all looking like fools, lmao.
Every single time, it's ridiculous.
I blame Sony though. They blurred the line between current-gen and next-gen with their exclusives.

GOW 2018 and TLOU Part 2 still looks better than 90% of next-gen games currently released. It like these two games where early next-gen games released on old hardware.

SlimySnake

I'm genuinely curious what's the problem and what's supposed to change?

Game still looks stunning and combat is top notch.
I mean its all there in the posts I quoted. People think it looks cross gen, DLC, GOW 1.5. This is not the TLOU1 to TLOU2 leap many expected from a game releasing 4.5 years later on a brand new machine. Or even an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 or HZD to HFW caliber leap within the same generation. Just looks more of the same. Im sure it will have more variety, setpieces, enemy variety than your average DLC so its probably a bit unfair to call it DLC but the lack of a substantial visual upgrade from Part 1 is not what many expected from Sony's biggest franchise over the last 3 gens. It deserves better, and needed to be given the budget and next gen tech the series and its studio have earned.

We said the same thing for Halo. Shouldve canned the last gen versions as soon as they realized they wouldnt be able to hit their original vision shown in the slipstream E3 2018 demo. SSM shouldve done the same as soon as they realized they wouldnt be able to upgrade the visuals in a substantial way. This is fucking god of war.

skit_data

Combat and movement looks better than in the last game, seems to be more free flowing and has a more vertical aspect than in GoW 2018.

Last edited:

Gudji

Are we really doing this again?
Discussing games is fucking depressing with you guys.

Jesus christ.

This will be 3 more months on how it all looks like shit like TLOU1 or how it all "looks the same" only for the game to come out and y'all looking like fools...again, lmao.
I mean if you're not bethesda you're not allowed to start showing your game this late. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I mean its all there in the posts I quoted. People think it looks cross gen, DLC, GOW 1.5. This is not the TLOU1 to TLOU2 leap many expected from a game releasing 4.5 years later on a brand new machine. Or even an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 or HZD to HFW caliber leap within the same generation. Just looks more of the same. Im sure it will have more variety, setpieces, enemy variety than your average DLC so its probably a bit unfair to call it DLC but the lack of a substantial visual upgrade from Part 1 is not what many expected from Sony's biggest franchise over the last 3 gens. It deserves better, and needed to be given the budget and next gen tech the series and its studio have earned.

We said the same thing for Halo. Shouldve canned the last gen versions as soon as they realized they wouldnt be able to hit their original vision shown in the slipstream E3 2018 demo. SSM shouldve done the same as soon as they realized they wouldnt be able to upgrade the visuals in a substantial way. This is fucking god of war.
Don't argue with people who ask how a ps5 game should look compared to a ps4 one dude even when they have rift apart, demons and even a crossgen that looks fabolous like forbidden west, it's an already lost battle and they clearly prefer to defend sony than having better games in their nextgen console.

Save your brain cells broh, i know i lost half of them in the past 2 days already arguing who the fuck would be against better level design and tlou2 mechanics in tlou remake.

Last edited:

Loxus

Yeah. This very Game informer preview is marketing. Every trailer, Interview, video, rtc..is part of the Marketing.

The point is THIS MARKETING has been atrocious. (I don't know why is this so hard to understand for some of you).

Even Avengers Infity war/End game had one of the most expensive Marketing ever.

Slam dunk success ≠ drop something out of the blue.
So what are they supposed to do in terms of marketing?

They said already their done with E3 type presentations.

They have switched to a new type of presentation. E.g. GT7 and Horizon State of Play.

Which seems to be working very well in terms of marketing, cause those games ended up in the top 10 sales charts for months in a row.

And the issue is not because is cross gen. The issue the this horrible lackluster Marketing..

God War 2016 has the gravitas of a next gen game. Ragnarok has failed to convey....that...Fucking Ragnarok is coming.

Neolombax

That was underwhelming.lol. Both the gameplay and the marketing.I expected so much more from one of Sony's flagship titles. The combat looked faster, camera was pulled out further to the back it seems but nothing about it screams I have to play it now. Theres not much else to go on about, so hopefully the next gameplay footage os more exciting than this.

So what are they supposed to do in terms of marketing?
Uninterrumped gameplay. To convey that fucking Ragnarok is coming. Just for started.

They said already their done with E3 type presentations.
Again, is not about E3 like presentations

They have switched to a new type of presentation. E.g. GT7 and Horizon State of Play.
And we had uninterrupted Gameplay for Horizon. Staph with this nonsense.
Which seems to be working very well in terms of marketing, cause those games ended up in the top 10 sales charts for months in a row.
No, IS NOT working. (Present time).

SlimySnake

Don't argue with people who ask how a ps5 game should look compared to a ps4 one dude, it's an already lost battle and they clearly prefer to defend sony than having better games in their nextgen console.

Save your brain cells broh, i know i lost half of them in the past 2 days already arguing who the fuck would be against better level design and tlou2 mechanics in tlou remake.

Unless you wanna hear some scifi narratives, then be my guest.
yeah, im stupid and fall for bait every time.

And the issue is not because is cross gen. The issue the this horrible lackluster Marketing..

God War 2016 has the gravitas of a next gen game. Ragnarok has failed to convey....that...Fucking Ragnarok is coming.
Better marketing wont make its graphics magically look better or get rid of that samey feel. Didnt work for TLOU Remake did it? ND was up there screaming about the next gen upgrades and no one bought into it. They had fancy 10 minute long video docs, developer interviews and it didnt change the fact that TLOU looks cross gen.

If anything, marketing the best moments from the game, setpieces and boss fights will only hurt the game like it did Uncharted 4 when they completely spoiled the biggest and best setpiece in the game.

Belthazar

At the same time that it's a bit underwhelming how this feels like GOW 2018 with additions, I'm glad they iterated on it instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. It would be awful to have to wait like 7 years for a new game.

DeepSpace5D

Nah. The axe is clearly the main. Blades were a great moment just for the nostalgia and feels but they just don't feel right.

I kinda feel like duel flails would have been a better reimagining of them.
I remember when I reached the point in the game where Kratos gets the blades, I was so hyped mainly just thinking about all the time spent using them in the classics. But after trying it out for a good while and upgrading it alot, I ultimately went back to the Axe and never looked back.

It just has a much more satisfying feel to it when it impacts with enemies I thought, and the recall ability feels great and really opens up the combat options, and of course looks badass. When you get really honed in with the axe, the combat is so satisfying.

Belthazar

Uninterrumped gameplay. To convey that fucking Ragnarok is coming. Just for started.

Dude, there's more than 2 months until it's released. They'll have a state of play for it in this timeframe with uninterrupted gameplay. Chill.

Loxus

All I'm trying to say is at release month, they would drop a new State of Play with gameplay. It's what they have been doing and it's working. Plus saving them money.

With social media, all they have to do is tweet this out and it will reach even more people.

Like I don't know why you what them to start doing that nearly 3 months from the release when they can do it in the release month.

Top Bottom