• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

ramuh

I could see this game as like a 14.99 game digital only or something. 40 dollars is so much for this.

MormaPope

Banned
Read through it

The main campaign is 2 hours long, it could be speed run in 5 minutes.

GI says they tried some extra missions but not all, did not mention how many there are but said they all take place in the same base. Koji Pro says they used Dead Rising case zero as the inspiration, says with DLC and all this extra paid stuff they decided to try it with the first part of the game.

Gameplay sounds like a blast but you pretty much know all the info from watching the gameplay demonstrations. You have to find all hidden XOF patches to access the console exclusive mission. A little more on GZ, it uses an pad app where you can use a pad to be your classic radar. In the game you can access it through a menu but it is real time on the pad.

They spoiled the entire story, what little there is.

Now MGSV, it takes place 9 years after GZ while Boss was in a coma. It starts with the trailer we saw at the hospital when its attacked by “Those who dont exist” which includes a fire version of Volgin, Psycho Mantis and more. Ocelot saves him and the game takes off from there. Boss ditches the name Snake and finally likes to be called Big Boss. Kojima altered his look to signify Boss’ new attitude so he has a robotic arm and the shrapnel which becomes a horn sticking out of head.

For those wondering how Les Enfants Terribles fits in with the timeline he says it will all make sense at the end of the game. The game area is 200 times larger than the GZ base. Gigantic open areas to explore which with many small bases, houses, farms, etc to check out. Some spots are guarded some are not. You can choose to get into fights or avoid them. It wont be one giant open world but many different large maps because you travel around the world.

Kojima says the games will play alike but in TPP its not constant danger like in GZ, you can choose to escape a base if you are seen in TPP for instance. The base building from PW is back, now there is a new base (probably Outer Heaven) and you rescue people with the fulton recovery just like in PW.

The bases will be more interactive, everyone will have their own and you will be able to hop online and visit a friends base if you want. If you rescue more hostages in GZ they will be transferred to TPP. Says players who play TPP will be at a clear advantage for TPP than those who don’t.

Basically, fuck Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain will be the shit.

Phantom Pain seriously sounds like a true sequel to MGS3.

Darklord

Banned
Read through it

GI says they tried some extra missions but not all, did not mention how many there are but said they all take place in the same base. Koji Pro says they used Dead Rising case zero as the inspiration, says with DLC and all this extra paid stuff they decided to try it with the first part of the game.

Inspired by a $5 piece of promo DLC. Charges $40. Get fucked Konami. I hope the reviews are brutal for that game.

Boke1879

Seriously this needs to blow up. I can understand charging 5 bucks for this. Not 40. Konami and Kojima need to know this is NOT ok. Vote with your wallets people.

Maybe I'm part of the problem, but I have no qualms about spending 40 bucks for a couple of hours of fresh MGS. Still disappointing.

Well, that's a terrible value. Also, couldn't this damage the brand, especially since it has MGSV in the title? I can picture someone who maybe doesn't follow video games very closely picking this up, getting angry, and not bothering with the real MGSV game.

I have a feeling that there is going to be a shit load of used copies on the market not too long after launch due to people not informed about the length.

I am more bummed that its been nearly 6 years since MGS4 and this is what they have and MGSV proper is still in the distant future.

Lakitu

st5fu
Thanks MiamiWesker, does it mention any locations that you might get to visit in TPP? I'm getting hyped now, love base building.

RangerBAD

Read through it

Gameplay sounds like a blast but you pretty much know all the info from watching the gameplay demonstrations. You have to find all hidden XOF patches to access the console exclusive mission. A little more on GZ, it uses an pad app where you can use a pad to be your classic radar. In the game you can access it through a menu but it is real time on the pad.

Now MGSV, it takes place 9 years after GZ while Boss was in a coma. It starts with the trailer we saw at the hospital when its attacked by “Those who dont exist” which includes a fire version of Volgin, Psycho Mantis and more. Ocelot saves him and the game takes off from there. Boss ditches the name Snake and finally likes to be called Big Boss. Kojima altered his look to signify Boss’ new attitude so he has a robotic arm and the shrapnel which becomes a horn sticking out of head.

For those wondering how Les Enfants Terribles fits in with the timeline he says it will all make sense at the end of the game. The game area is 200 times larger than the GZ base. Gigantic open areas to explore which with many small bases, houses, farms, etc to check out. Some spots are guarded some are not. You can choose to get into fights or avoid them. It wont be one giant open world but many different large maps because you travel around the world.

Kojima says the games will play alike but in TPP its not constant danger like in GZ, you can choose to escape a base if you are seen in TPP for instance. The base building from PW is back, now there is a new base (probably Outer Heaven) and you rescue people with the fulton recovery just like in PW.

The bases will be more interactive, everyone will have their own and you will be able to hop online and visit a friends base if you want. If you rescue more hostages in GZ they will be transferred to TPP. Says players who play TPP will be at a clear advantage for TPP than those who don’t.

The Phantom Pain sounds great, but I didn't really doubt that game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Read through it

Thanks for this write-up, good sir.

I don't see why people are getting so confused about this. Ground Zeroes is a prologue to the main game. The prologue shouldn't be of equal length to the main game otherwise it may as well be MGS5 and Phantom Pain be MGS6. I think anything around four hours is perfectly acceptable for a prologue. You have to factor in the 'extra modes' that Game Informer played, too, in total you're probably looking close to 8-9 hours for 100% completion.

I don't see how people like you don't get it, they are charging $40 for a 2-4 hour game, you present us with a demo like game, then charge accordingly, $20 would of been a fair price for this demo/prologue.

What if it's another trolling by Kojima & co and the testers were contractually bound to not reveal anything, and the game is actually way longer than that ?
/in denial

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Read through it

Thanks a lot!

MGS prologue: free on the demo disc that came with my PS1
MGS2 Tanker chapter: free on the demo disc that came with ZOE
MGS3 Virtuous Mission: free on an OPM demo disc
Peace Walker intro: free on PSN

This is hilarious.

Damn, you got the whole tanker chapter with ZOE? Fuck, mine always stops after the Olga fight. You're so lucky!!
..and my MGS3 demo ends when you get to Sokolov.

Why are my discs broken?
:_;

Averon

This should have been a $10 download on XBL and PSN, not $40. Even the cheaper $30 last gen versions are way too much.

For MGS veterans I imagine the main mission in Ground Zeroes could be beaten in 20-30 minutes, first playthrough.
Probably not the way I play though. I experiment extensively with the mechanics and listen to every codec convo that I can find. And I always replay MGS games multiple times. I can easily see myself getting 40 bucks of enjoyment out of this.

Maybe this should of been something that was offered for pre-orders for The Phantom Pain.

I want to know more about the side missions before I'll bit for the digital.

Alienous

Geez guys, just wait for a price drop. I can understand not wanting to pay $40 for this, but don't call the people that do pathetic.

It's a pathetic situation, because gamers accept this and will complain later.

And Metal Gear Solid has a fanbase. If the fans who know about this refuse to support it, Konami will see. And Konami won't do it again.

Sorry I was incorrect the quote about Dead Rising and why Konami decided for this strategy came from some industry analyst not anyone from Kojima Productions.

5 dollars was perfect for Case Zero, which was a nice sample of DR2.

40 for this, even if it is next gen is just pushing it. I'll also wait for sub 20.

zma1013

People do realize that they're releasing this to help fund the development of the main game, right? It's pretty obvious.

It still doesn't make it a good deal. If they can't fund a full Metal Gear Solid game anymore without overcharging for what's been described as a demo, then perhaps they need to rethink the budget of their game.

Alienous

Sorry I was incorrect the quote about Dead Rising and why Konami decided for this strategy came from some industry analyst not anyone from Kojima Productions.

get-out.gif%3Fw%3D584

Nah, it's ok.

Top Bottom