• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's McNamara: "I seriously think Nintendo has banned Game Informer"

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
WgntH.png

That was a fun thread. Ahh good times...

Penguin

Amazing. Has Game Informer elaborated at all on what exactly they're mad about? Posting a couple non-specific, angsty tweets comes across as a little juvenile.

Since its fun to jump to conclusions...

Based on his follow-up tweets/interactions, it would seem like Nintendo hasn't been timely getting back to them in regards to something (I can only imagine a story/preview of the console for the next issue), and he tweeted it to see if other sites/magazines were having similar issues with them.

Need more information.

But, reading some of the posts here, if they are "banned" it's obviously:
1. All Game Informer's fault.
and
2. A great move by Nintendo, and all part of a wider grand strategy.

remnant

Banned
How about #4?
Yeah that GI really put WiiSports on the map.

Nintendo has their own magazine. GI is a big fish in a shrinking industry, why should they dictate previews and exclusives?

I don't even see why they care. GI has been positioning Nintendo as the third wheel of the industry for years.

CorvoSol

I doubt they "banned" GI. But if they did, it's probably because they got as tired as everyone else did at almost every Wii game's review being qualified with something to the effect of "...but it would be better on HD consoles."

That's what I was thinking. I doubt they'd ban them, largely because ban doesn't even make sense. It's Nintendo. They're like a real life Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. They're crazy secretive and staffed by ninjas.

Hero

So some schmuck posts two really vague tweets about Nintendo and people are up in arms over shit they're making up in their heads? Thisisneogaf.gif.

What exactly is the story with the Paper Mario review? I know they gave it a 6, but there has to be more to the story.

EDIT: Nevermind I found the story.

For those that missed the quote (thanks Forkball)

Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them. We've all played games that we personally disliked and scored them well because we've known that most people will like them, and we've also scored games low that we love, because most people won't enjoy them.

JABEE

Why would/should publishers care about honest reviews/previews? They're all about selling games.
They have a right to do that and I'm okay with magazines calling them out for being anti-consumer. Nintendo would be punishing honest criticism.

SmithnCo

Aww...how cute. It's like the parent complimenting the kid for drawing a really fucking ugly dog.

The plaque is actually sarcastic, which I think is rare for Nintendo, GI actually didn't like the MP games.

They seemed to be on good terms though, so this whole thing is pretty odd. It's probably nothing though.

Zigzz14

I love Nintendo games, they make some of the best in the biz. With that said my absolute favorite part of the company as a whole is that they tell the western game "journalists" to go suck a dick. Bravo Nintendo

rpmurphy

I'm sure the reason people feel that why is the scores their games receive.
GI didn't really have much DS coverage during the system's prime years. It might as well been a mag about 360/PS3/PC, because it was like looking at a desert for information of everything else.

Didn't these guys give paper mario a low score? About time.

I'm just going to take this at face value since there's no sarcasm detector in here. If you really believe that a company should freeze out any entity because they gave a game a bad score you are, well, I won't say what you are, because it's mean and I don't want to be mean!

Seriously though. You're kidding, right? Please tell me you are.

iammeiam

I was sort of hoping this would turn out to be Nintendo banning copies of GI from their offices. Not just Nintendo not responding in time for a print deadline making the GI guy feel blacklisted, or something.

I do like that complaining on Twitter is apparently how people are going to try and get things done in the future--way more entertaining.

The GI Paper Mario thing was an odd window in to how review processes work at institutionalized publications.

It represented more about how reviews should work (are you critiquing a product or are you trying to evaluate that product for your audience) than it was just about a single game.

For the record, I think you should always fall on the former side and that's why Game Informer was absolutely wrong in that scenario.

Eric Hall

I'm just going to take this at face value since there's no sarcasm detector in here. If you really believe that a company should freeze out any entity because they gave a game a bad score you are, well, I won't say what you are, because it's mean and I don't want to be mean!

Probably not considering the way people continue to give the magazine shit over a review from almost a decade ago

But everyone also has too much faith in Nintendo these days as well (Go look at those E3 threads saying Nintendo was gonna dominate the show)

Probably not considering the way people continue to give the magazine shit over a review from almost a decade ago

But everyone also has too much faith in Nintendo these days as well (Go look at those E3 threads saying Nintendo was gonna dominate the show)

There's a reason we still continue to give them shit for that review. Let's look at this quote just one more time:

Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them. We've all played games that we personally disliked and scored them well because we've known that most people will like them, and we've also scored games low that we love, because most people won't enjoy them.

Link1110

Maybe some higher up at Nintendo got pissed off at having Game Informer pushed on them at Gamestop and decided to get revenge.

Penguin

Its really a two way street

There are some who give them the benefit of the doubt while at the same time folks who naturally assume the worse with the company.

I guess its a seesaw relationship.

Sounds like the dude is just trolling to me

JH ‏@Astreana
@GI_AndyMc I don't see why you tweeted this. You work for GI, shouldn't you know these things? Unless you just want to get reactions....

1h Andy McNamara ‏@GI_AndyMc
@Astreana I am looking for reactions! And getting them!

https://twitter.com/Astreana/status/215208549859598337

Professional games journalism here folks! Don't get what you want from a pub - whine on Twitter.

Yea, it was a dumb excuse/reasoning for the score. But again, it was over a decade ago. Are people still upset over this? It just seems so petty and dumb

It would be nice if they'd reflect on why they were so stupid, and promise that such utterly backward reasoning no longer has its place in the magazine or its reviews.

The review isn't offensive in itself - they are entitled to their opinion. The piece that followed though, in which they say that their opinion presented isn't necessarily their opinion is the antithesis of any reasoning behind honest subjective reviews. Its like turning reviews into a dark magical art in which you predict the mass opinion of society concerning a game, and ignore your own honest reflections in order to appeal to this nebulous collective. Its completely, totally beyond moronic. The criticism is as relevant now as it was the day it happened. Practices like this should be shamed and excised from the media.

It would be nice for them to be a bit humble about this, laugh off their idiocy and admit to have learned something from this really really legendarily stupid moment in their magazine's history.

GQman2121

Banned

I get the feeling that many people are serious and take it as just the cost of doing business. Ridiculous, I know, but when the publishers hold all the power there's only so much you can do. It's part of the reason the idea of gaming press is a joke.

I take those tweets as, I broke up with her, she didn't dump me....

Corto

So nobody at NOA would answer his emails or phone calls to clarify the situation, so he went to twitter to put them on the spot?

Top Bottom