• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's top 25 DS games

Ha. yeah. I felt like that one could stand on its own, no? It dealt a lot with Layton's past and all. I was going to mention that though. Like, I don't know if Unwound was better because you knew all the characters and where they were coming from. Don't know.

I've only played The Curious Village, so I couldn't say for sure. But that game's plot seemed centralised around that specific location and set of periphery characters- development of Layton and Luke wasn't really a thing- that I can see the sequels being fine. Maybe.

I think they get a better heavier with regards to continuity with the prequels, but I don't want to say for sure. Like I said, never played them.

bigace33

It was an exaggeration, of course, but SNES ports do take up a significant portion of its library. And while there is a number of great original games, that number is still significantly less than what we have on the DS. That's how I feel, anyway.

The SNES ports was one of the main reasons I loved it. Xp

RM8

My list, because DS <3 <3 <3 (In no order, though!)

- Mario Kart DS
- Super Princess Peach
- The Legend of Kage 2
- Retro Game Challenge
- Lostmagic
- Castlevania: OoE
- Dragon Quest IX
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Kirby Mass Attack
- Pokémon Conquest
- Pokémon SoulSilver
- Kirby Canvas Curse
- Rondo of Swords
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (hate moar, haters)
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of The Minis
- Luminous Arc 2
- Super Mario 64 DS
- Densetsu no Stafy 4
- Tetris DS
- Puyo Pop Fever
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2
- Mega Man Zero Collection
- Bleach: The Blade of Fate (I'm not even an anime enthusiast but this is a legit good fighter)
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
- Kirby Squeak Squad

Oh man, so hard.

Tenrius

Does it really? I can only think of the Mario platformers, Donkey Kong Country, and the Final Fantasy ports. There were the NES classic series too.

Personally I dont own any of them so I especially take issue with that port claim. There were so many great GBA games, and they far out number the ports Ive seen.

Here's a little list from google: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2906, so there's a little more than that.

Also, I didn't mean it in a particularly bad way. It's just that when I think about games on the GBA that appeal to me, a significant portion of them are SNES ports (which probably has a lot to do with me being more interested in RPGs and adventure games than anything else). That's not a bad thing, just clashes with the notion of it being the greatest handheld of all time. My statement was probably a bit too harsh.

Claneko

I'm okay with most of the list. My contentions are with games that aren't necessarily bad, but I just didn't like all that much.

Ghost Trick is CRIMINALLY low rated on that list. Right ahead of something that isn't even a game, haha.
Oh well, at least it made it on the list.

I did like Phantom Hourglass, but #2? Hell no. Maybe they rated it higher since it didn't have trains. Any game would seem like the top game of the system compared to Spirit Tracks! :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The top two picks invalidate the entire rest of the list. Seriously, what the fuck.

Hey, I own 17 of the games listed in the OP. I agree there are some omissions in the list, and Phantom Hourglass is too high. But overall it's a solid list.

corn_fest

Dumber plot resolutions than
everyone was robot
??? I don't think so.

Nope, they're much dumber.

Spoilers:
Diabolical Box:
Everyone was simultaneously hallucinating an entire town and its residents.
Unwound Future:
Future London is actually an underground replica, giant robot tank destroys real London. As a bonus, there's some real time travel at the end.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I bought Meteos because of GAF hype and was sorely disappointed. It wouldn't be on my Top 20, either.

Same, I really regret selling my copy. It's probably in my top 5 games of all time.
I love it, but man, they had so many more concepts they could have explored. It really needs a sequel like Mario Galaxy 2 -- take the core game and just expand it in all directions.

Sad that I don't see 999. That one is really one of my top three games from the DS-era. I have played quite a few games on that list though and enjoyed them immensely.

rjc571

Banned
Nope, they're much dumber.

Spoilers:
Diabolical Box:
Everyone was simultaneously hallucinating an entire town and its residents.
Unwound Future:
Future London is actually an underground replica, giant robot tank destroys real London. As a bonus, there's some real time travel at the end.

Nah, the original is still the dumbest.

Neo Child

Banned
<---- (Kyle Hyde doesn't approve)

havent completed either hotel dusk OR last window. really only gotten a few chapters into either. but thats simply because i got stuck.

absolutely loved the dialog, music and EVERYTHING ELSE just shame i get stuck all the time.

trace memory was also really good. completed that :)

shame companies gone under. would love a 3ds sequel.

krYlon

I don't usually bitch at lists but.....

Where's Bangai-O??????????!!!!!!

Also, Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin>>>>>>>>>>>>Dual Strike.

Also also, 999

What a worthless list. The fact that Rondo of Swords and Glory of Heracles aren't on that list invalidates the whole thing. Shameful really.

NSMB and YIDS are both unjustly hated on. They're pretty easily the two best platformers on the DS.

So true. Yeah, the NSMB games aren't "GREATEST GAME OF ALL-TIME" status like SMB3 and SMW are, but they're still some of the best games to come out in the last 10 years, easily.

Pfffff,
NO hotel dusk
and
NO 999
equals
SHIT
I haven't played 999 yet but Hotel Dusk is obviously better than Korg (lol), Metroid Pinball or Rocket Slime. These are not bad games but... DS has so many good games that they do not belong in TOP 25 list.

Also where is my Infinite Space?

At least TWEWY is on the list.

redcrayon

What a worthless list. The fact that Rondo of Swords and Glory of Heracles aren't on that list invalidates the whole thing. Shameful really.
To be fair, they are both quite obscure JRPGs, aren't they? I'm not convinced many reviewers would have played them.

Don't get me wrong, I finished Rondo (had to import, it was tough but awesome), but an awful lot of DS stuff had very limited releases- sure, they should be considered (personally Rondo isn't in the top 5 DS strategy games), but I wouldn't blame anyone for not having heard of them in the first place, that goes double for EU rpg fans.

My list, in no particular order.

Etrian Odyssey I, II and III
Advance Wars: Dark Conflict
Last Window
Hotel Dusk
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Contra IV
Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light
Metal Slug 7
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton
Ghost Trick
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Meteos
Knights in the Knightmare
SMT: Strange Journey
Devil Survivor
Puzzle Quest
Infinite Space
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Mario vs DK 3

appaws

Banned
If we are leaving off remakes like ff4 and the DQ remakes...I get that. And it is good to see someone give love to Rocket Slime....

But it is really hard to believe they didn't put dq9 on there.

I would have put Revenant Wings as well, but that is just me.

AniHawk

wow. that list would be like topping off the top 25 ps2 games with jak ii and something else that is also literally the worst thing ever.

Top Bottom