• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's top 25 DS games

Infinite space never gets any love.

definitely on my list. Insanely epic for a handheld game. watching your n64 quality ship do a slow flyby across both screens... so good.

And all the technobabble before each attack...

The space game that i always wanted. Big capitol ships that isn't some hardcore physics sim.

Metaroo

I haven't played 999, so I don't really have any perspective on how good it is to place in the top two. Going off my own experiences with the system, this list is not off the mark. I would have placed Advance Wars: Dual Strike at 1, simply because its the best handheld experience I've ever had. Everything else would probably be moved down a slot or something.

TheMink

You have me for a dual crush partner

Lets mess these dudes up.

HOOOLLLLYY

LIGHTNIIIIING!!!!!

BQLud8c.gif

*thread is vaporized*

Galang

Banned
Usually I ignore lists, but New Super Mario Bros. at #1 is an absolute mess.

It doesn't even deserve a spot in the top 25, let alone in first place. There are SOOO many great DS games, it's an insult.

MLH

Certainly not the games I would pick, NSMB and Phantom Hourglass are particularly bad choices for the top 2.
Etrian Odyssey (3), The Dark Spire, Hotel Dusk, Last Window, 999, Order of Ecclesia, Dragon Quest V and Chrono Trigger (First time it was released in Europe & the first time I played it) are all missing from the list and, IMO, are all worthy.

redcrayon

Etrian Odyssey III, Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, Metal Slug 7 and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia are the obvious titles missing to me.

Scribblenauts, Phantom Hourglass and NSMB can make room.

Kudos for including Contra IV.

This comes straight from their leaked issue on TitanFall.

3. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
4. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
7. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (use to own)
8. Contra 4
9. Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
10. Animal Crossing: Wild World (use to own)
11. Radiant Historia
14. Super Scribblenauts
17. Metroid Prime Pinball
18. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
22. Picross 3D
25. Korg DS-10 Synthesizer

I have all of those except these.

Oh, turns out I haven't played 25 DS games. :lol

All I know is that The World Ends With You is a masterpiece and easily the best game on the system.

tesla246

Such an awful list indeed, New super mario bros en zelda phantom hourglass had such boring tedious game design, I mean...just meh. Not saying they are bad games but just extremely generic and they shouldnt show up in any ''top games'' list, let alone place 1 and 2 respectively.

Is Dawn of Sorrow actually better than Order of Ecclesia? I bought the latter because Dawn's box art makes it look like an anime vampire romance.

Yeah, I don't think this is a fair criticism.

How so? I understand that there's a lot of games out there that blur the line between game and music tool that I'd let pass on a list like this- Electroplankton, for example- but KORG DS-10 doesn't even pretend to be a game. It's a virtual synthesizer. There's no blurring at all, it is what it is and it's not a game.

ascii42

I've only got these:

1. New Super Mario Bros.
4. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
13. The World Ends with You
23. Mario Kart DS

guess I missed out on a lot.

Bikram

I agree with most of the list. Like reviews this is again a piece of opinion so can't complain much. Good list.

Coconut

Banned
Bangai-O spirits

castlevania order of ecclesia

Retro Game Challenge

And

Moon

Aren't on that list invalidating as an actual source for serious consideration of amazing games people should play in the DS.

kevinski

Banned
Portrait of Ruin!!!!!

....nobody?? Just me? Ok :(

I prefer Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. That's the game that I bought my DS for.

Still, that said, I'm surprised that Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is on this list. I would've expected Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia to have been the Castlevania game of choice on DS for most people.

Personally I would have gone with:

1. Dragon Quest V
2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
3. Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney
4. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
5. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
6. 999
7. Radiant Historia
8. Touch Detective
9. Touch Detective 2
10. Mega Man ZX
11. Hotel Dusk
12. Mega Man ZX Advent
13. Last Window
14. The World Ends with You
15. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
16. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations
17. Infinite Space
18. Rondo of Swords
19. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
20. Trauma Center: Under the Knife
21. Apollo Justice : Ace Attorney
22. Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney - Justice For All
23. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
24. Solatorobo
25. Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier

But then my tastes go more towards RPG's & Adventures, especially on a handheld(DQV is there since it's the first time it's [officially] in English). Unordered outside the top 5.

MLH

Bangai-O spirits

castlevania order of ecclesia

Retro Game Challenge

And

Moon

Aren't on that list invalidating as an actual source for serious consideration of amazing games people should play in the DS.

How did I forget this?! RGC is a must play, so good!

How so? I understand that there's a lot of games out there that blur the line between game and music tool that I'd let pass on a list like this- Electroplankton, for example- but KORG DS-10 doesn't even pretend to be a game. It's a virtual synthesizer. There's no blurring at all, it is what it is and it's not a game.

A dull and fruitless semantics argument.

Can't agree with this at all. Missing some very important titles like 999, Strange Journey or Order of Ecclesia and the order is all kinds of messed up with probably the worst NSMB entry at the top.

Tenrius

Personally I would have gone with:

1. Dragon Quest V
2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
3. Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney
4. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
5. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
6. 999
7. Radiant Historia
8. Touch Detective
9. Touch Detective 2
10. Mega Man ZX
11. Hotel Dusk
12. Mega Man ZX Advent
13. Last Window
14. The World Ends with You
15. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
16. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations
17. Infinite Space
18. Rondo of Swords
19. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
20. Trauma Center: Under the Knife
21. Apollo Justice : Ace Attorney
22. Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney - Justice For All
23. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
24. Solatorobo
25. Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier

But then my tastes go more towards RPG's & Adventures, especially on a handheld(DQV is there since it's the first time it's [officially] in English). Unordered outside the top 5.

Are those Touch Detective games really that good?

A dull and fruitless semantics argument.

A dull and fruitless display of condescension.

I expect at least some measure of depth to your reply if you disagree with my argument enough to cause you to respond. I don't see why semantics aren't important when the subject is "games" and something that isn't a game has been thrown into the mix.

Top Bottom